SDA SRS new to me

Options

Comments

• JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,479
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Also, if ordering from Polk, let them know you're a forum member as they usually give a discount and free shipping.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,002
    Options
    Sent Polk an email with my SDA SRS's serial numbers. Will see what they say.
    Have the two places that have these RD0-194's available if Polk no longer sells them.

Since I'll be replacing the tweets... think I'll do the dynamat on the mids and the magnet cementing.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    I'd be shocked if your serial numbers mean anything to the CS folks. Most probably weren't even born yet when those speakers were made.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• skipshot12
    Options
    I agree.
    Sounded like the person I talked to was 12 😳

Sent them an email with the #’s.
    If they don’t sell them anymore Midwest Speaker has them in stock.
  • VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,227
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Do I read your amp/amps to be Phase Linear WOPL 700II's ? If that be so and Perry (the ole Sniffer) built them then I see no way possible that those speakers will ever harm those amplifiers and neither shall that amplifier harm those speakers. The x overs in the SDA speakers seem to eat up the ole juice with the large inductors and all BUT they are quite efficient as far as the ole 1 w 1 meter measurements go. If you plan on bi amping with two PL WOPL 700II's that will be bad azz looking but I really do not see the need for such a huge monster of an amp on 8 tweeters. Your call of course. I am surprised that you got em in the house and playing without a few magnets on the 6.5's locking up on you. I epoxy those magnets as soon as I see the speaker. I usually pull all the 6.5's out and place them in a secure spot in my van till I can carefully take them to the shop and epoxy them. However I am in the South and around here that factory glue does not want stay glued. I hope you are able to source the RD-0194's you need. Two of the best days of my life were when I FIRST heard a SL-2000 and when I took them out and placed 194's in. The 198's are a much better tweeter in my opinion however only the gurus here ( ask Jesse ) could tell you if that is feasible (the TL mod) on the SDA-SRS. I do not think so but like I said, I am not the expert on that. I cannot stand the sibilance of the 2000. In fact If a speaker does that and it cannot be fixed with upgrades/MODS of some sort then it finds the door real quick around these parts and away she goes. Rob can show you a way to
    RD-0Wuhan those 2000's if you want to take the time, play around and just see. I know you are going to love those Polks, aint quite nothing like em.
  • VSAT88
    Options
    JayCee wrote: »
    Probably my bad...just looked over our PM's and I typed "O" vs "0". Common mistake when casually referencing. I've purchased from both Polk and The Speaker Exchange (TSE). Here's a snap from my last TSE order. SKU's are the proper nomenclatures for the respective OEM tweeters they replace. Both SKU's are used when ordering from either company:

cvbzt8fc6mkl.jpg

Posts like this ^ are very helpful. Especially to some of the newer members. Thanks @JayCee
  • skipshot12
    Options
    Hey VSAT,
    Yes... WOPL Sniffer (Perry) built these amps. They are incredible, dead quiet and sound amazing.
    I looked into the inside of my preamp, he had done his magic on, and his work is truly impeccable!
    These two amps were part of the collection he acquired out of Hawaii I think... they started out as consecutive # Clair Bros Audio Phase Linear 700 II's. They are beasts!

When we were moving them to the back of my Tahoe we made sure the mover guys were very careful. We explained what these speakers were, the age, condition and to be very very careful. They did a great job. I had them put them with the backs down and drivers facing up. We had large moving blankets folded double underneath the speakers to cushion any bumps for the drive back to Wyoming.

That would have been a great idea to actually remove the 16 MW Drivers, never thought about that.
    I was so excited, to have finally acquired a pair of these, that I was like a little school girl giggling they were gonna be mine and my mind was firing in multiple directions at the time. Was soooo worried about them being bumped or dropped as they were carried up the stairs and into the vehicle.
    All went well.

Something I can share with this group without being judged too loony tunes...
    I drove straight thru from Laramie, WY to Maryland. Spent about three hours at the sellers place checking over the speakers, listening to a couple of songs, checking all the drivers, doing the pressure test and so on. Then drove 6 hours to a friends house in Buffalo, NY and spent the night to get some rest. Got back into the Tahoe and made the drive straight thru back home to Laramie. A total drive of 51 hours, that has to be some kind of record :o

When I told friends and family what I was doing I got the 1,000 yard stare and long silence with their brain trying to understand this endeavor. They all asked the same question... why not have them shipped?
    No way, they have survived this long and I wasn't going to be the person responsible for having them screwed up to save the inconvenience of a couple O miles :#

Am I abby-normal?
    Yes, I'm committed...

• skipshot12
    Options
    Hey VSAT,
    Yes... WOPL Sniffer (Perry) built these amps. They are incredible, dead quiet and sound amazing.
    I had a pair of Sim Audio W-10 Monoblock's pushing my Legacy-Audio Focus speakers and prefer his amps. The WOPL 700 II's are beasts.
    These amps were part of the collection he acquired out of Hawaii, i think. They were originaly consecutive #'s Clair Bros Audio Phase Linear 700 II's.
    I looked at the inside of my preamp Perry had worked on and his work is impeccable!

Yes, I'll be bi-amping with these two WOPL's.
    I think 1000w per channel @ 8 ohm should be enough :#

Never thought of pulling the MW drivers.
    I had done all the tests I knew of when checking out the speakers before loading... Played a couple of songs, did the left & right for the SDA, verified all drivers playing, no voice coil scraping, pressure test and so on.

Was so nervous when they were being carry up the stairs and being loaded into the back of my 2-door Tahoe. Good thing I had removed the spare tire and frame or they wouldn't have fit.
    Made sure I told the guys what these speakers were, the age and importance of being very very careful. Made sure they carried them speakers facing up.
    We loaded them speakers up with large moving blankets double folded underneath to help cushion going over bumps.
    First check once home was that they survived the drive. All was well.

I can share this here without being deemed too Looney-Tunes...
    I left @ 5 am on a Monday to drive straight thru from Laramie, WY to Maryland. Arrived the next morning and spent 3 hours at the sellers place doing the checks and loading. Left his house @ noon and landed at a friends house 6 hours later in Buffalo, NY. Spent the night visiting with a re-charge for the drive straight thru back to Laramie the next morning.
    51 hours of driving, must be a record :#

When I told friends & family what I was doing they all got the 1,000 yard stare.
    All asked the same question, why not just have them shipped?
    No way, I wasn't going to be the one that ended up the cause of these speakers being destroyed.

Am I crazy?
    Yes, I'm committed :D

I just received an email from the seller he's sending the original sales receipt, warranty registration, owners manual and the rest.
    His soon to be wife had purchased these speakers for him as a wedding gift in 1986.
    Where are these ladies?

Been looking for these for years and the time was right.
    Wasn't going to let a couple O miles and a few minutes keep me from them :o
  • skipshot12
    Options
    Was listening to some Billy Joel last night. Played his two disc greatest hits cd's.
    I'm really enjoying the speakers with how they sound and haven't done anything to them...... yet.

Midwest Speaker has 8 of the RD0-194's in stock. Will be ordering them today.
    Can't wait to hear what each upgrade brings.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    Options
    51hrs of driving.....You Win!!
  • VSAT88
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Yes, I think @skipshot12 is winner. I made a trip to Johns house in Cleveland OH. from Phenix City Alabama for a set of SDA-CRS + 4.1tl's. That was 12 hours one way but that did not count stops for gas eats and the ole coo coo faucu. You undoubtedly have the record there (I would think) . No, I do not think you are nuts. Hell, you found what you wanted in pristine condition and went and got em the right way. They ain't making any more speakers like or even similar to these these days. Yeah, some will say they make all kinds of speakers even SDA's now that blow these away well I don't think so. I would not trade mine for a set of newer more expensive speakers (if I had to keep them anyway) All these speakers nearly this day in time are built over in China. No thanks. I know some hard working USA builders put these together and Matt Polk had a hand in the engineering. I would keep a 69 Camaro any day over a 22 model. That's just me though, everybody is different you know. As far as a wife buying speakers, oh yes I got one of those. My wife bought the SDA-CRS+4.1tl's for me and gave me her credit card to have a blast while I was up there. They are still around guys. Having those original manuals and receipts kick azz. I got em for my SDA-SRS2's and the other set of SDA-CRS+ I have. I like all the manuals. I try to get them every time I can. In fact when I sell equipment if they don't ask for the manuals, if I have them I keep them like the Grinch that stole Christmas.
  • VSAT88
    Options
    Oh and I forgot the PL equipment. Some will poo poo those amps here and there. I am a believer. Some folk just do not like Carver equipment for some reason. Its almost like some really love it and others seem to hate it. I like it even though I only have (at present) two pieces of PL equipment. A PL 400II and a PL 700. I am building them both back basically stock, with Dons DC protect boards of course. The main problem with those amps were the output transistors would S.T.B. when SOA was exceeded leaving 70+ rail volts DC pumping thru the speaker terminals. Now, what speaker will take that.
  • skipshot12
    Options
    Thanks pitdogg.
    Just waiting on my Looney-Tunes trophies to arrive, and they're on their way.

Decided to try one more time with Polk Audio for the 194's.
    Just got off the phone.

For anyone looking to purchase the RD0-194-1 Tweeters at this time they are $60 thru Polk not including member discount. Discount was 20% which brought the total for 8 tweets to $384.00.
    With shipping and taxes it came to $417 & change.

• skipshot12
    Options
    Can't wait to get started on this.

Ordered the dynamat wedge pack and 194's.

Ooooh yeaaaa....
  • skipshot12
    Options
    Hey VSAT,

The WOPL is sweet with the SDA's. Very nice pairing.
    Was a little worried in the beginning that Phase Linear amps were not common ground amps. Someone had issues with the pairing of his 400 II that smoked some drivers in his SDA SRS's. But, turned out it was his preamp that caused the damage.
    Still, there's that little bit of doubt in the back of my mind on the what if when first powering up.

Sill have my 4000 II preamp, 1000 II & 5000 II tuner from back in the day.
    Have added the 1400 II and 1200 II to the system.

Was hooked the first time I heard the PL 500 II's & 4000 II driving the Infinity IRS (can't remember which model) in Ramstein Germany in 1980.

Have a real soft spot for PL gear.
    Just the Series II's though, not a fan of the original's look.
  • VSAT88
    Options
    Yep, if you bought two PL 700II WOPL'ed by Perry you definitely love PL. That is a hunk o change for two of those. But they are Clair Brothers so you got special amps too. Not everyone got those. Most have no clue what they are. Keep on posting and letting us know how things are going.
  • skipshot12
    Options
    194’s should be here soon.
    While I’m installing those I might as well do the other mods regarding the mid woofers.

Black Hole behind the mid woofer drivers.
    On the frame of the mid woofers I’ll be doing the dynamat on the outside of the frame and have a question about those. What about the inside of the frame… would putting some foam tape help any on the inside of the frame?
  • skipshot12
    Options
    Will do on the speakers.
    Keep you’s up to date on the mods. I’ll be having some more questions for guidance too.

Also will be gluing the magnets while in there.
    If I had posted that already please excuse the Some-Heimers.
  • skipshot12
    Options
    Sa-Weet, just arrived.

s154g75mq9gh.jpg

j5esg7kv94tq.jpg

• skipshot12
    Options
    Went to our local stereo place, here in Laramie, and ordered some sound deadening material. They're actually a car audio place but, it's all we have. They don't carry actual Dynamat but they said it's (what they use) comparable. They do excellent work and am trusting them that it'll do the job of damping the MW's.

Waiting on the Black Hole to arrive and am ready to start...
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    I used second skin IIRC, basically same but different name.
  • skipshot12
    Options
    Stupid question coming.....

Is the red color on the positive post of the tweeters conductive?
    Years ago I always removed that to get to the bare metal.
  • skipshot12
    Options
    Never mind, answered that question with my Fluke....
    It is not conductive.
    Will be marking + & - and removing that identifying color.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,186
    edited August 2022
    Options
    skipshot12 wrote: »
    194’s should be here soon.
    While I’m installing those I might as well do the other mods regarding the mid woofers.

Black Hole behind the mid woofer drivers.
    On the frame of the mid woofers I’ll be doing the dynamat on the outside of the frame and have a question about those. What about the inside of the frame… would putting some foam tape help any on the inside of the frame?

Yes to Armacell foam inside the baskets. We have 4 people (Correction - 5 or 6) who have done it inlcuding myself and gotten a not subtle at all improvement in detail and clarity. You would be the first to do it on one of the big boys so that'd be super cool.

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/195562/must-try-mod-foam-inside-the-stamped-steel-baskets-yes/p1
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Never mind, answered that question with my Fluke....
    It is not conductive.
    Will be marking + & - and removing that identifying color.

Marking is a good idea, removing the coating is not necessary. It'll come off as the quick connect goes on. It will not affect function.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    What about the inside of the frame… would putting some foam tape help any on the inside of the frame?

Some tweaks make sense and some don't. That is one that doesn't.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,702
    Options
    Unless you perform the foam/frame modification yourself, you'll never reap the benefits of it's function, which absorbs unwanted backwaves, dialing in higher midrange resolution.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • skipshot12
    Options
    Thanks
    Will stick with just the dynamat on the frames.
  • skipshot12
    Options
    Ran into a little fitment issue with the 194's. For some reason they weren't sitting flush with the front baffle. Took the one out and started looking.
    There's a small lip on these that aren't on the SL2000's. Easy fix, pulled out the Dremel and did a little custom finishing work.
    Flush now.

SL2000
    spf28qfbl80h.jpg

RD0-194
    i9dtnpxwtbhr.jpg

• skipshot12
    Options
    Got the right speaker's Tweets in.
    Time for a frosty beverage.....