SDA SRS new to me

Options

Comments

• invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,279
    Options
    If your insurance did not cover the damage you may be eligible for a tax break, look into it.
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,005
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    IME, Sonicap and Clarity CSA sound alike. Sonicap has an advantage of having the exact values.

A lot of reading for you.
    https://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html

Tanks F1.
    Just what me looking for.
    That’s a good read….
  • skipshot12
    Options
    invalid wrote: »
    If your insurance did not cover the damage you may be eligible for a tax break, look into it.

Thanks in…

Yup, the rat **** denied it.
    Still trying to pry open their frigging purse.
  • skipshot12
    edited October 2022
    Options
    F1…
    Very interesting & detailed on that fella’s findings on the difference in the caps he tested.

Man, it would be “**** on a ritz” to have an outboard crossover that had quick-change capabilities for caps & resistors.
    Then I’d be changing pieces for each song on an album….🤣

Ok, so here’s what I found out reading through those findings…
    I have champagne tastes and a PBR wallet….
  • skipshot12
    edited October 2022
    Options
    How cool.
    Been enjoying reading these since they came in.
    Received these in the mail from the seller I bought the SDA SRS's from.
    Tried to cover his info....

ua0vd848mcyy.jpg
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Soundscape is the original Polk Audio dealer and are still in business. It's run by the Dorsey brothers.

You must be in Maryland.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• skipshot12
    edited October 2022
    Options
    I’m quite a ways from Maryland, I live in Laramie, WY.

I drove straight thru and back to pick ‘em up 😬
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,585
    Options
    skipshot12 wrote: »

I drove straight thru and back to pick ‘em up.

You win!!
  • skipshot12
    Options
    Tanks pitdogg…
    It was a ball bustin 50 something hour drive.
    Worth it. They arrived in the same condition as they left.
    There was a lot of satisfaction in that trip.

It beat my previous record trip to pick up a pair of Infinity’s in Tennessee 🤣
  • skipshot12
    Options
    I’m on my last MW driver.

The 7th MW driver I ran out of the Dynamat.
    Went to our local car audio shop and got sound deadening material they use.
    I don’t think it will affect the sound any from the Dynamat but, the obsessive/anal side of me knows it’s there.
    It’ll be two MW’s & the passive.

The stuff is called Ballistic Hollow Point.
    Couple things…
    It’s thicker for sure. Doesn’t make it any harder to work with but it’s noticeable. Had to make sure I didn’t go too low towards the flat screw mounting area as that would have impeded it sitting flush.
    Other thing about it is it looks really nice installed. I’ll take a pic of this last driver.

I did a ring test on my left speaker passive.
    Before any Dynamat was installed, ring test with just the spokes matted then a final test after the flat back was covered.
    This way I have a baseline to compare with after the install of the Ballistic stuff.
    I’m 98% confident going in that I won’t hear a difference….

• skipshot12
    Options
    Question for you’s guys….
    Has anyone tried to test the sound of the SL2000’s after doing all the upgrades?

Reason why I ask,
    Reading thru all I can on the sda’s and the upgrades y’all have done thru the years I came across some of DK’s posts and findings…. Very informative and thorough person!
    Something interesting he said about the sl2000 tweeter. He was pondering it was possible that some of the inherent flaws with the original tweeter’s brightness may have been exacerbated by the original crossover design and components used from back in the day.
    So, I’m asking if anyone has replaced the 194’s with the original sl2000’s after doing the upgrades?

• skipshot12
    Options
    The tweaker in me is gonna have to give this a try.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Go RD0194 and do not look back. It is a MUCH better tweeter, and THATS a fact JACK.
    The SL2000 dome material doesn't age well at all. It gets brittle and it wrinkles all affect the sound, and not in a good way.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,707
    Options
    Wuhan-mod the SL2000s and then compare to 194s ;)
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • F1nut
    edited October 2022
    Options

I drove straight thru and back to pick ‘em up 😬

Hardcore!

Get the RD0194 tweeters.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• skipshot12
    Options
    Wuhan mod?
    Looks like a search & reading to be done....

• F1nut
    Options
    Wuhan mod?
    Looks like a search & reading to be done....

Don't bother.

President of Club Polk

• skipshot12
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Pulled out the last mw driver this morning and got one magnet side jb-welded.

Also pulled the passive. Found the gasket was installed with a turn. The screw hole indentation on the gasket is in between the screw holes on the passive. It looks like there were a couple of spots where it wasn’t sealing.
    That may explain why I thought the bass was noticeably better on the left speaker, not a whole lot but noticeable.

Being a perfectionist to a fault, I would have liked all gaskets to have been original like the other drivers but that ain’t happening.
    From reading it sounds like mortite’s the way to go.
    Mortite it is.

Little bull-shite things like that bug the hell outta me, Not because it may have prevented a perfect seal, because they won’t be all the same when I’m done.

Must keep the end result in focus and forget the details that don’t matter…..
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,189
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Mortite was favored by Matthew Polk for better coupling to the baffle, but beware that the stuff dries out over time and can be very difficult to remove. I would go with the thinnest foam gasketing material you can find. There is some pretty thin EVA foam at Hobby Lobby, if you have one of those near you.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • michaeljhsda2
    Options
    DO NOT USE MORTITE!
    SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    Silk Audio MS-90-BT integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
    SDA 2B TL's
  • pitdogg2
    edited October 2022
    Options
    DO NOT USE MORTITE!

THIS !!! you'll be sorry! ^^^^^^^^

Home Depot sells Armaflex pipe wrap it will work and many here have used it, I'm one of those. You'll need to cut to width. I used a soldering iron to burn a small hole where the screws go. Tip over lap then cut at a diagonal so not to have a but t joint.
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    Darqueknight's Mortite thread is an interesting read. Everyone who tried it reported improved SQ over the stock gaskets. Gotta love modding controversies. Nobody reported years later to say anything, positive or negative. That's what is missing.

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/74524/mortite-speaker-seals-for-sdas/p1
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,101
    Options
    Darqueknight's Mortite thread is an interesting read. Everyone who tried it reported improved SQ over the stock gaskets. Gotta love modding controversies. Nobody reported years later to say anything, positive or negative. That's what is missing.

He also did one for Armacell and found it to be the superior material over Moretite
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    Options
    Polk used Mortite originally because it was a cheap way to make gaskets, no other reason.

It does not make for better coupling to the baffle, just the opposite because it acts as a cushion due to its spongy nature.

To be avoided at all cost.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options

I reported my experience at some point. Mortite sucks the life out of the sound.

President of Club Polk

• Gardenstater
    Options
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • skipshot12
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Is this what y'all are talking about?

Armacell
    2 in. x 30 ft. R-1 Foam Insulation Tape

Followed a link from the DIY Audio Site.
    Wouldn't let me copy and paste the pic .
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Is this what y'all are talking about?

Armacell
    2 in. x 30 ft. R-1 Foam Insulation Tape

Followed a link from the DIY Audio Site.
    Wouldn't let me copy and paste the pic .

yes
  • skipshot12
    Options
    Was just about to say never mind...
    Saw it in DK's post and verified.

Thank you
  • skipshot12
    Options
    Was able to order that Armacell @ our local Ace Hardware store. We’re not large enough to have a Lowe’s or Home Depot.

The Armacell looks to be quite a bit thicker than the gaskets on my drivers.
    The ones on mine are paper thin.

Question…
    Does the thickness of the material matter?