What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Comments

• marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    in with 65 :D
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    I like them. <3 Unfortunately, not tubes, but I'll have some karma stuff when I do spring cleaning.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,271
    The BHK preamp jumpers are to change the voltage from 6-12 and the current from 4ma-5ma.
  • JayCee
    edited March 2021
    Correct. I've run both 6 and 12 volt tubes. Haven't had to change the current jumper. The Brimar's and Mullard's are both 12V, so the only option would be to lower the voltage and/or change the current. Can't remember what the current's set to but posts I've read on PSA say to leave at factory position unless there's an issue. I did call them last year when I purchased the Matsushita's and they really didn't have much to recommend. It's a 6V tube.

Edit to add...the reason I asked, earlier, was thinking maybe there was some weird recommendation based on the previous post. Perhaps, it was in reference to audioluvr's Belles pre and the fact I am using the BHK?
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • phipiper10
    phipiper10 Posts: 955
    I have a few Upscale tubes acquired recently and at least some have additional markings on the bottom. Possibly all, will confirm.
    Analog Source: Rega P3-24 Exact 2 w/GT delrin platter & Neo TT-PSU Digital Source: Lumin T2 w/Roon (NUC) DAC: Denafrips Pontus II Phono Preamp: Rega Aria MK3 Preamp: Rogue RP-7 Amp: Pass X150.8 Speakers: Joseph Audio Perspective 2, Audio Physic Tempo Plus Cables: Morrow M4 ICs & Audio Art SC-5 ePlus, Shunyata PCs Misc: Shunyata Hydra Delta D6, VTI rack, GIK acoustic panels
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    edited March 2021
    @JayCee here is the thread where they discuss changing settings for the tubes.
    https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/to-all-ps-audio-bhk-preamp-owners-must-read
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • JayCee
    edited March 2021
    marvda1 wrote: »
    https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/to-all-ps-audio-bhk-preamp-owners-must-read

Cool, thanks for that. I'll look it over. I haven't searched A-gon for BHK. Appreciate it.
    phipiper10 wrote: »
    I have a few Upscale tubes acquired recently and at least some have additional markings on the bottom. Possibly all, will confirm.

Emailed them earlier today:
    "Hi. Recently purchased Brimar CV4003 tubes and was cleaning the pins. Noticed blue ink on the cotton pad and discovered a number (426) and blue "square" at the base in the pin area. Checked the other tube and realized I'd wiped it off on that one. Mentioned this to some other guys and they checked their tubes from Upscale. No one else had this. Just curious what it means? TIA."

Response:
    "Hi, We are not 100% sure to be totally honest"
  • JayCee
    edited March 2021

Okay, just digested this. Has to do w/the mV setting on the BHK pre, 4 vs. 5. The pre is factory sent w/12AU7 but is capable of 6922 and compatible variants of either. The BHK 250 amp, which I have, uses 6922's, too. The next step after my pre tube rolling was to progress to the 250 and then look at mixing/matching. Even though it's an A-gon thread I recognize some of the chatter that bled over to the PSA site.

The abridged version of what I just read, for anyone reading this that may have BHK products, is changing to/from 4/5mV and experimenting may have positive or negative results. It's considered reasonably "safe" but, the bottom line is, for 12V tubes, 5mV may shorten the life of the tube. YMMV and I recommend reading the thread, along w/cruising over to PSA.

Edit to add an FYI....BHK, the man, had some influence in folks trying this. Also edited text above for clarity.
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    ^^^^ just regular looking speakers that one sees everyday.

:D
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    halo71 wrote: »
    Found a pair of these last Friday. Extremely impressed with them so fa. NHT Evolution T6

3diahjwipeoz.png

Man those are cool! I wanted a pair for a long time, finally gave up. I owned three M5s for my fronts for a while, very clean and dynamic speakers! I bet the larger M6s are awesome! The only potential issue I saw was it just doesn’t seem like the subs go as low as they should for 4 inch subs. How are you liking the bass?
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • rooftop59
    cmonc5k3f9q6.jpeg

Installed this on Saturday and been listening a lot since. Such a detailed DAC with a very back background. The bass could be a bit stronger, but it makes up for it with speed and texture...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,567
    rooftop59 wrote: »

Man those are cool! I wanted a pair for a long time, finally gave up. I owned three M5s for my fronts for a while, very clean and dynamic speakers! I bet the larger M6s are awesome! The only potential issue I saw was it just doesn’t seem like the subs go as low as they should for 4 inch subs. How are you liking the bass?

The bass on these digs deeper than my NHT VT3's do. Very solid. The VT3's have 4 10" subs where these have 4 12".

I also have VT2's that I think I will sell.

--Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • rooftop59
    halo71 wrote: »
    rooftop59 wrote: »

The bass on these digs deeper than my NHT VT3's do. Very solid. The VT3's have 4 10" subs where these have 4 12".

I also have VT2's that I think I will sell.

cool man! Based on S&V and stereophile measurements, I would expect the VT-3s to have great output below 30hz, but would think the mids and highs might be better with the T6s. Glad you're enjoying them!
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • phipiper10
    phipiper10 Posts: 955
    JayCee wrote: »

Cool, thanks for that. I'll look it over. I haven't searched A-gon for BHK. Appreciate it.

"Hi. Recently purchased Brimar CV4003 tubes and was cleaning the pins. Noticed blue ink on the cotton pad and discovered a number (426) and blue "square" at the base in the pin area. Checked the other tube and realized I'd wiped it off on that one. Mentioned this to some other guys and they checked their tubes from Upscale. No one else had this. Just curious what it means? TIA."

Response:

Response:

Response:

Response:

It’s on the bottom of the same Brimars One reads 345 and the other appears as 96?. The last digit appears to have smudged away. One orange dot on the bottom of 1/2 Mazda/Cifte. Strange!
    Analog Source: Rega P3-24 Exact 2 w/GT delrin platter & Neo TT-PSU Digital Source: Lumin T2 w/Roon (NUC) DAC: Denafrips Pontus II Phono Preamp: Rega Aria MK3 Preamp: Rogue RP-7 Amp: Pass X150.8 Speakers: Joseph Audio Perspective 2, Audio Physic Tempo Plus Cables: Morrow M4 ICs & Audio Art SC-5 ePlus, Shunyata PCs Misc: Shunyata Hydra Delta D6, VTI rack, GIK acoustic panels
  • JayCee
    It’s on the bottom of the same Brimars One reads 345 and the other appears as 96?. The last digit appears to have smudged away. One orange dot on the bottom of 1/2 Mazda/Cifte. Strange!

Wow, you quoted me 4 times from the same post. I must've made quite an impression! LOL.

Yah, surprising they don't know what's up. Hopefully, they aren't returns and "forgot" to wipe off the super secret squirrel markings. I'd buy the response but have to question why it's on different branded tubes, too. Will have to remain a mystery. Thanks for looking at yours.
  • ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,553
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Over the weekend, I built a little stereo-mono summing circuit switch, meant to be inserted into a tape loop. This is to enable good playback of mono records on a stereo system, in response to someone who was looking for one. It's not quite trivial to sum two stereo channels to mono -- some provision has to be made (i.e., should be made) to prevent one channel from trying to drive the other one!
    https://www.prosoundweb.com/rane-note-why-not-wye-or-y-for-that-matter/

This is the simple and elegant little design I used.

vpxjw8yavm8g.png
    https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analog-line-level/303898-stereo-mono-switch-circuits-2.html#post5029295

cnea2qrifr35.png

Some out of phase noise will be (should be!) eliminated in mono playback -- and I guess many "modern" components don't have mono switches on 'em anymore.

I am pleased to report that it works. In fact, it is kind of cool to play the Stereophile CD test track with out of phase white (or maybe pink) noise, switch to mono, and hear -- absolute silence. :)

If’n it’s mono out how comes it’s got TWO wares a comin’ outa it?

2-mono=1

;)
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,043
    This just arrived............ now I have something to do
    d43898l4oywx.jpg

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    d43898l4oywx.jpg

What is it?
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    ALL212 wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Over the weekend, I built a little stereo-mono summing circuit switch, meant to be inserted into a tape loop. This is to enable good playback of mono records on a stereo system, in response to someone who was looking for one. It's not quite trivial to sum two stereo channels to mono -- some provision has to be made (i.e., should be made) to prevent one channel from trying to drive the other one!
    https://www.prosoundweb.com/rane-note-why-not-wye-or-y-for-that-matter/

This is the simple and elegant little design I used.

vpxjw8yavm8g.png
    https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analog-line-level/303898-stereo-mono-switch-circuits-2.html#post5029295

cnea2qrifr35.png

Some out of phase noise will be (should be!) eliminated in mono playback -- and I guess many "modern" components don't have mono switches on 'em anymore.

I am pleased to report that it works. In fact, it is kind of cool to play the Stereophile CD test track with out of phase white (or maybe pink) noise, switch to mono, and hear -- absolute silence. :)

If’n it’s mono out how comes it’s got TWO wares a comin’ outa it?

2-mono=1

;)

Mono out to stereo in ;)
    The mono image is right dead center... it'd be kinda pulled to one side if there were only one "outtie" :#

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    d43898l4oywx.jpg

What is it?

... and what is it supposed to do?
  • motorstereo
    ^^^^^^^It's just another way to spend money on this hobby once you run out of electronics and speakers to upgrade :)
    https://www.amazon.com/Furutech-Flux-50-Filter/dp/B005LF17AG
  • rooftop59
    ^^^^^^^It's just another way to spend money on this hobby once you run out of electronics and speakers to upgrade :)
    https://www.amazon.com/Furutech-Flux-50-Filter/dp/B005LF17AG

wait one can RUN OUT of speakers and electronics to upgrade?!? Maybe if you're Bezos and you have so much $$$ that the only conceivable way to spend it all (without actually helping other people of course) is space travel...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,967
    The funny thing about that device is that I just recently changed my Ic to unshielded and my power cables are currently unshielded.

- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    d43898l4oywx.jpg

What is it?

Shake Weight....
  • motorstereo
    It's actually my 3rd and last one. One for each monoblock and one for the front end. Do they work?.........my lips are staying sealed as tight as my 1.2tl cabs.
  • bhenmia0
    bhenmia0 Posts: 2
    Swapped out some different amps and blasted some tunes today for the first time in a long time. B)
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    ....my lips are staying sealed as tight as my 1.2tl cabs.

Given that even the best sealed SDA cabinet with stock drivers have a leak-down, you will be blabbing away in 4.... 3.... 2.... 1....
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • motorstereo
    ....my lips are staying sealed as tight as my 1.2tl cabs.

Given that even the best sealed SDA cabinet with stock drivers have a leak-down, you will be blabbing away in 4.... 3.... 2.... 1....

True dat.........I'd love to have a 2 day leakdown