What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Pick one I was just being facetious
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    Just don't put it in your hair
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    VR3 wrote: »
    Just don't put it in your hair

or, ideally, in anyone else's...
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Can I Gorilla glue Polk magnets? Asking for a friend.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,270
    I had an appointment with my ENT today and both channels were cleaned of wax.

That is a definite upgrade in sound, I feel like I have super sonic hearing when I have that done.
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    What B&Ws? I to was blown away with my modest and small listening room after adding all the acoustic treatments. It was like a whole new system for sure!

Enjoy!
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    CH46E wrote: »
    What B&Ws? I to was blown away with my modest and small listening room after adding all the acoustic treatments. It was like a whole new system for sure!

Enjoy!

Thank you, they should show in my sig. The 703
  • CH46E
    edited February 2021
    Willow wrote: »
    CH46E wrote: »

Enjoy!

Thank you, they should show in my sig. The 703

Nice! S2 or the older ones? The older 703 is one of my all time favorite speakers! I absolutely love them! Got some pics????

I'm on the mobile site so no signatures.
  • Willow
    Fair enough. h3tmbp6s38sl.jpg
    The older 703
  • CH46E
    edited February 2021
    Love them. I really enjoy the FST mid range. At the time the 703 was the cheapest speaker you could get the FST in.
  • Willow
    I think people don't give them enough credit in the proper environment. I find them to be quite real
  • CH46E
    B8zdgdibhjxna.jpg
    Better..

Topless photos are always better! ;)
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    I AM listening to my system. I have no idea what happened but ever since moving it to the basement, such a wide and deep sound stage. I'm hearing nuances I've never heard before. The area rug is still not in and neither is the new couch. That is arriving Wednesday. It's absolutely amazing how much a system can change by changing it rooms. I've always heard it can but never experienced it first hand. I'm just blown away at the difference, I'm really enjoying the b&ws for the first time since buying them. They were ok on the main floor but in the finished basement they sound so different and might I say really good. Oh and I'm only on my first glass of wine.

You should check your basement for carbon monoxide. Or radon.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Willow
    None of that here. House is over code and only 6 yrs old
  • audioluvr wrote: »
    I AM listening to my system. I have no idea what happened but ever since moving it to the basement, such a wide and deep sound stage. I'm hearing nuances I've never heard before. The area rug is still not in and neither is the new couch. That is arriving Wednesday. It's absolutely amazing how much a system can change by changing it rooms. I've always heard it can but never experienced it first hand. I'm just blown away at the difference, I'm really enjoying the b&ws for the first time since buying them. They were ok on the main floor but in the finished basement they sound so different and might I say really good. Oh and I'm only on my first glass of wine.

You should check your basement for carbon monoxide. Or radon.

..and red or white wine?
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    edited February 2021
    marvda1 wrote: »
    @audioluvr and @jaycee have you received the brimar cv4003's in yet?
    if so what are your thoughts on the sound?
    Just an FYI....I'm not new to tubes but am to rolling them. For anyone confused by the nomenclature of these tubes, they're 12AU7's w/the unique CV-4003 identifier. The 12 in the first 2 positions of 12A indicate they run at 12 volts. Getting my read on I've found CV-4003 is a military spec'd 12AU7 that's built to more demanding standards, longer life and, I believe, was first designated by the British military. Please, tube gurus, correct anything I may have misstated.

I've been accused of TLDR o:), so synopsis after a few hours of warm-up. I like them. More to come. Skip the rest, skim the pictures or read on for some comments and pics. Been a while since I've done this...@Viking64, made you look.

Put them in a few hours ago. Pics and narrative of the deed...

Mullard meets Brimar. I have 769 hrs on the Mullard's when pulled for the exchange. Mullard's purchased from Watford Valves and are matched & cryo'd. Brimar's purchased from Upscale and they claim to test/burn-in for 75 hrs. "Platinum" grade and matched pair. No cryo.
    gye5h3juf8v5.jpg
    Front side comparisons...
    u7nwaz6wdacf.jpg

Bum shots...
    esyyceoftf5c.jpg

I appreciate the pin protectors included on both sets of tubes. I wish they all came with these.
    s0mjgvsemdlq.jpg

Several weeks ago I developed an "ocean" sound in the left channel w/the Mullard's. Used 99.9% isopropyl alcohol to clean the pins and swapped tubes/channels. Offending sound followed the tube and was reduced but didn't disappear. Four days ago it disappeared!?!? Not complaining.

Looking over a Brimar next to a current production PS Vane and you can see how filthy these dirty boys are. Not gonna go in the female lady bits of the tube receptacle without a thorough cleaning.
    01qfw0y561f9.jpg

As of the Mullard, uh, "problem", we practice safe tube hygiene in this house.
    n4vot88xr9mb.jpg

Comparison of clean vs dirty, respectively.
    y5iebjsdh323.jpg

Noticed a very promonate blue on the cotton used for cleaning. Further investigation found writing and a large "dot" in the widest pin gap. Must be a tracking number/system by Upscale? So, if I have to return the tubes for any reason I'm using this thread as "proof" one tube, now missing the writing, is legit from my purchase. Don't know if this will hold water in court but hey, I'm an honest dude....really, I am. Trust me.
    t3ncvat9rtmn.jpg

Also, on inspection, found one pin bent.
    0u5jvysmr7oj.jpg

Brimar's in a row. Bent pin caused no resistance and the tubes are deep and flush with the board. Gut shot of the PS Audio BHK Signature Pre.
    cma80pzyg18c.jpg
    56t9lgcavdm6.jpg

Had some other stuff to do so let the pre warm-up while the wife watched TV and did brainy school homework. The BHK has an hours meter and I just checked it; 6.5 hrs since install.

The Mullard's have 3d, depth in spades and are excellent w/voice. They live in the midrange band. My biggest complaint is bass. Almost polite, accurate in an understated way. Not bad but they just don't dig deep.

I have Roon selecting random tracks and I'll just say I don't hate the Brimar's! First impression...bass!...and the warmup was needed. I felt the Mullard's didn't bloom until the 175-200 hr mark, so I'm going to give the Brimar's more time before commenting. I'll also swap the Mullard's back in to see what I think after living with these for a bit.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    looked at a pair of new tubes i have from upscale and they don't have that writing underneath.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • audioluvr
    edited March 2021
    The one's I just got from there "the CJ specials" had no markings either.

Edit: I put the Brimars back on the shelf. Swapped back in the Raytheon's. Something about them that match amazingly well with my components and room.
    Post edited by audioluvr on
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    JayCee,

Nice photos above ^^^^

My favorite:
    chyqas516h4j.png
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • marvda1
    @audioluvr i was reading that if you use the higher voltage setting and run 12au7's with it on the bhk preamp, the sound is much better.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • JayCee
    looked at a pair of new tubes i have from upscale and they don't have that writing underneath.
    audioluvr wrote: »
    The one's I just got from there "the CJ specials" had no markings either.
    Interesting, might just email them out of curiosity. Thanks for checking.
    Nice photos above ^^^^
    Thank you.
    @audioluvr i was reading that if you use the higher voltage setting and run 12au7's with it on the bhk preamp, the sound is much better.

Do you have a link to the voltage setting you reference above? I've probably read it but don't remember doing so. PS Audio BHK forum/tube thread and another on PSA's new M1200 monoblocks had me close to trying the Brimar's. Recent chatter on CP pushed me to do so. Even w/the BHK stuff some folks like them and some don't. Synergy and/or personal preference seem to be the factors. Haven't seen anyone say the suck.

I spent time w/them last night and so far they've kept my interest. One criticism, though, is a bit of tube rush at idle. The Mullard's aren't dead quiet but these are a bit more noticeable w/nothing on. In use...not a factor for either tube.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • marvda1
    Wherever I read it they said they confirmed it with ps audio, so give them a call.
    Puritan PSM156
  • JayCee
    Pulled out the Belles pre to dust and the stupid shelf came out with it and the front dropped 3" when the shelf came off the pins. While I had it out I thought I'd set it on top, pull the cover and do some tube rolling. Fired it up to get a reference from my favorite tubes (the Raytheon long black plate halo getters marked "Baldwin") and nothing. No sound. Swapped out the tubes with the RCA clear tops I picked up from @Gerres26 and all's well again! Clearly those tubes weren't Mil-Spec rated... Good thing I have a stash!

The RCA's are very nice. Accurate, smooth and revealing with just a little less bass than my favorites.

Next I put in a fresh set of the "Baldwin" tubes. Immediately I'm immersed with what I can best describe as "hall effect" where the sound of music wraps around you. One of the benefits of small venue concerts is that "hall effect". I miss live music :( .

After some reference tracks on those tubes I went ahead and rolled in the Brimar CV4003's I got from Upscale Audio. The only thing I can say they lack in is the "Hall Effect" (it's there but just not on the same league as the Raytheons) They are the most balanced of all the tubes I have tried so far from 20Hz to 20K! Whether playing low volume or cranking it up you don't feel like something's missing. They are also the most accurate tubes, edging out the RCA's for their crystal clear reproduction! The only bad thing about that is they make mediocre recordings more mediocre...

eqrywu8schyj.jpg

I'm reading too many tube threads on different forums. I've read everything, here, but recalling it is another story. LOL.

Just remembered you'd posted above. Are these tubes the ones Brent Jesse was selling? Here's what I saved from his ad:

01iyesdvu90i.png

I purchased 2 sets in September. One tube developed a problem in the first 2 hours and he replaced the set for me. Have 150 hours between the 2 sets and absolutely agree w/you if they are the same as yours. They are crazy good tubes...especially @ $20.

I've been rolling since this summer and having 9 sets has me all over the map trying to recall the details. I'm at status quo w/my selection and burning them in. So, will start doing head-to-head comparisons for clear winners.
    Currently rocking April Wine's "Harder / Faster"

I'm a big April Wine fan. Strangely, I was missing Power Play on CD and picked it up 2 weeks ago. In high school my best friend recorded "If You See Kay" on a mixed tape and we thought the name was so clever. To date, one of my favorite songs. Saw/met them in the 90's, w/BOC, and they were very approachable. I also have an original 80's poster from the Nature of the Beast tour.
  • audioluvr
    JayCee wrote: »
    01iyesdvu90i.png

Yes that sounds like the ones I have. I'm hoarding several matched sets
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• JayCee
    edited March 2021
    Good man. Based on the PSA forum when they were abuzz, I doubled up. Figured, for the price, I could karma them off I didn't like them.