What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Comments

• ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,553
    The dbx box is the skinny critter just in front of the R2R. It is a compression/decompression device for tapes. Was quite the thing in the 70’s and 80’s. Works well for me. Got some dbx rekids too...
    Burson makes replacement 8 legged opamps so you can pull the elderly ones out and get something from this century in. Best description of the results would be an extended frequency range with improved dynamics. I did a full capacitor refresh as well as much better diodes in the power supply.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    ALL212 wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Did I know you had an A77?
    I knew there musta been some reason that I like you...

B)

Prbly not. It’s been in the wings waiting for it’s chance to perform.

Old tapes are a bit stretched at the start and end. Wow and flutter is noticeable but it sure sounds nice.

Hmmm. Tape is fine. Take up side doesn’t have good torque with a full reel.
    Anyone know where the zerk is on that side? I’ve got grease... :o

I rebuilt the dbx a couple years ago and pulled the stock opamps and put in Burson. Made quite the difference.

Didn’t I threaten you with a visit some year? :) [/quote]

anytime -- you know, when we're not all infection threats. :|
    @KennethSwauger is doin' the down to the nuts and bolts rehab of an A77 even now* -- bet he knows about the zerk in question (if a zerk it indeed be)!

edited February 2021
    Beatcha to it - questions have been filed in triplicate with Sir Swauger.

Didn’t realize what the Barry attachment was - lol - nice one !! :D
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • ALL212
    @gp4jesus
    What dbx gear do you have?
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    edited February 2021
    ALL212 wrote: »
    @gp4jesus
    What dbx gear do you have?
    A couple of their DriveRack PA XOs. AKA DRPA in other circles.

I remember that line of stuff was pretty cool 😎 consumer gear. The DRPA* is pro gear. Maybe a factor for the op amps.
    *along w/ the DRPA+ & DRPA2

Did you find the Cap upgrade challenging?

Thanx Tony
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • ALL212
    Cap upgrade - that one was easy. Single board, easy disassembly. There are two models of the dbx224. One is made in Japan (the one I have) and the other made in USA. I've had them both. The USA one is overly complex compared to the Japanese produced one.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    edited February 2021
    @ALL212 we should PM from here forward.

Not that it doesn’t apply, because it does. I believe this fall under esoteric. Please PM If you recall the make and model caps.

Big thanks. You are part of what is right w/this forum. Tony
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • warren
    warren Posts: 756
    It says "SDA's are forever"
    I miss my 2.3’s, I’m on the hunt... not doing good..

Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    warren wrote: »

where are you located
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • warren
    warren Posts: 756

where are you located
    Decatur, Georgia 30033
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited February 2021

where are you located
    Decatur, Georgia 30033

For you sir...

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/272494847625258/?ref=search&referral_code=undefined

Now we only need to get the Polkie Express up and running to see if we can get them a little closer.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    @ALL212 the only problem I see with your hifis is that you need more Yamaha equipment.

bwahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaa...

• ALL212 - Those speaker stands are cool but I sure hope you don't acquire any cats in your house!
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • ALL212 - Those speaker stands are cool but I sure hope you don't acquire any cats in your house!

I assumed he was already a cat owner. 😺
    Rega Planar 8, Apheta 3 MC , Aria mk2 Phono
    Aurender n100h, Benchmark DAC2 HGC
    Arcam SR250, Parasound JC5
    Revel F208, SVS SB-4000
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Took the rig apart today to perform an annual room cleaning. Time to clean wire connections and whatnot also :#

5f7oyolqeqxf.jpg

looks like you've got some snakes mixed in there ;)
  • mhardy6647
    Willow wrote: »
    looks like you've got some snakes mixed in there ;)

5f7oyolqeqxf.jpg

Yeah, it's that animal mimicry thing.

1e6xt3hagfjk.png

We lose dozens of audiophiles a year to the wily wiresnakes.

3ok82lo7ya2y.png

• marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    @audioluvr and @jaycee have you received the brimar cv4003's in yet?
    if so what are your thoughts on the sound?
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    marvda1 wrote: »

I have a pair if you'd like to try them Marvin. 12at7 triple mica black plates.
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

I have a pair if you'd like to try them Marvin. 12at7 triple mica black plates.

the cv4003 is a 12au7.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Haven't had a chance to put them in.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    Same here. Delivered last week but haven't found time. Maybe, this weekend.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • audioluvr
    edited February 2021

Pulled out the Belles pre to dust and the stupid shelf came out with it and the front dropped 3" when the shelf came off the pins. While I had it out I thought I'd set it on top, pull the cover and do some tube rolling. Fired it up to get a reference from my favorite tubes (the Raytheon long black plate halo getters marked "Baldwin") and nothing. No sound. Swapped out the tubes with the RCA clear tops I picked up from @Gerres26 and all's well again! Clearly those tubes weren't Mil-Spec rated... Good thing I have a stash!

The RCA's are very nice. Accurate, smooth and revealing with just a little less bass than my favorites.

Next I put in a fresh set of the "Baldwin" tubes. Immediately I'm immersed with what I can best describe as "hall effect" where the sound of music wraps around you. One of the benefits of small venue concerts is that "hall effect". I miss live music :( .

After some reference tracks on those tubes I went ahead and rolled in the Brimar CV4003's I got from Upscale Audio. The only thing I can say they lack in is the "Hall Effect" (it's there but just not on the same league as the Raytheons) They are the most balanced of all the tubes I have tried so far from 20Hz to 20K! Whether playing low volume or cranking it up you don't feel like something's missing. They are also the most accurate tubes, edging out the RCA's for their crystal clear reproduction! The only bad thing about that is they make mediocre recordings more mediocre...

Currently rocking April Wine's "Harder / Faster"

eqrywu8schyj.jpg
    Post edited by audioluvr on
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Time to hit up @helipilotdoug for a Solidsteel rack.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    edited February 2021
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Time to hit up @helipilotdoug for a Solidsteel rack.

Was thinking the same thing...expensive gear and pin supported racks are a recipe for heartache. Not that you have to spend a fortune on a new rack, but maybe just look around on the used market. People dump nice Salamander and VTI type racks all the time for dirt cheap.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • audioluvr
    Just like the look of oak furniture as it matches the oak caps of my SDA's but I agree I should look for something modular.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,491
    Or in the meantime you could nail or screw a couple of wood cleats below the problem shelf.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited February 2021
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I hear gorilla glue works very well....

If you're referring to the recent news stories, then you get a LOL.

If you're serious, then you get a LIKE.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.