What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Comments

• gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    I'm gonna need another piece [of BH] from you so I can put some in the back of the enclosure behind my driver in my Martin Logan Dynamo Sub.
    How would that affect the your ML sub’s FR?
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    I've also wondered about putting my left over bh5 in my sub.......anyone know if it's a good idea or should I leave well enough alone?
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,133
    gp4jesus wrote: »
    I'm gonna need another piece [of BH] from you so I can put some in the back of the enclosure behind my driver in my Martin Logan Dynamo Sub.
    How would that affect the your ML sub’s FR?

I don't know. I think that it will have the effect of making the enclosure size somewhat larger. I don't know how much larger based upon size of BH5 piece. The EQ section of the circuitry inside is designed for the sub as is, not modified, of course.

I think I need to start small. I would hope that by attenuating some of the back wave reflection, it will make the sound more clean. Also, the BH5 should reduce some of the panel resonance on any panel it is applied to.

I would also appreciate any input from DIY speaker builders.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Gardenstater
    edited January 2021
    I've also wondered about putting my left over bh5 in my sub.......anyone know if it's a good idea or should I leave well enough alone?

You still haven't given us your listening impressions on your 1.2tl's !!!
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • motorstereo

You still haven't given us your listening impressions on your 1.2tl's !!!

Woops sorry bout that. Ok here's what I've noticed so far in my few hours of listening. To start with there's slightly better bass and slightly clearer vocals. Those 2 areas are very subtle improvements and it does take some critical listening to notice the change. The biggest change I've noticed and is impossible to overlook is the center image is now more solid and pronounced. I had always thought the 1.2tl's center imaging was a weak spot compared to some of my other speakers. That is no longer the case. Thankfully this increased center imaging does not come at the cost of losing any of the wide and deep sda soundstage. I have not noticed any change in the depth or width of the soundstage.

I'm also wondering if some of the improvements may have come from breaking and re-making 16 speaker connections that haven't been touched since 2012. At any rate I'm pleased with the improvements and recommend this easy to do mod.

• Gardenstater
    edited January 2021
    Well that's terrific! I believe your install was about 40% less BH5 surface area per MW driver than mine. Perhaps it was more subtle in your case due to that, whereas it was in your face instantly noticeable in my particular situation. I don't think mine is overdone or too sterile and I'm really happy with it. Everything is just clearer, and I also noticed a better center image where there is more air to the sound and the acoustics of the recording venue are more apparent, making everything sound more live.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,270
    I think that it will have the effect of making the enclosure size somewhat larger. I don't know how much larger based upon size of BH5 piece.

Black hole 5 does not make the cabinet seem larger, that's what polyfill is for. Black hole five is to cut down the reflection inside the cabinet so you have a cleaner sound.
  • Gardenstater
    edited January 2021
    motorstereo - Did you read DarqueKnight's thread on his BH5 1.2tl install? He used more material; strips on the side walls and behind the tweeters.

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/148198/blackhole-5-damping-material-in-the-sda-srs-1-2tl

invalid - you don't think that the speed of sound would be reduced when travelling through that outer layer of open cell foam until it reaches the barrier layer of polymer that isolates the inner damping mat'l + foam from the outer? That layer is about 1" thick. If so, then the effective cabinet volume should increase by some small amount. At least that's my understanding.

Edit to add - However, there is about 1/4" of reduced cabinet volume due to the location of that isolation layer. I wonder if it balances out at no effective volume change?
    Post edited by Gardenstater on
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited January 2021
    There is no back wave from tweeters. Yes I also ran a 4" wide piece behind the woofers only and the same length of the woofers on the sides 3 inches wide. I covered non of the factory standing wave cuts. There's minimal if any gain to be had behind the tweeters.

SRS 2.3tl

• Gardenstater
    I assumed that DarqueKnight knew there was no backwave from the tweeters and that the reason he put some material there was that it was just a suitable place to put some more in, absorbing more reflected and standing waves in such a large cabinet volume as the 1.2tl.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • gp4jesus
    I thought about it. We know BH5 would help w/resonances but I’m guessing the BH5 excels at maybe 500-1K hz on up - little if any in the lowest octaves.

However consider this non-comital way to try it. Do a little listening to just the sub. Casually tape a piece to rear wall. And, well... you know the rest.

Let us know. Tony
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • Gardenstater
    Tony - I guess brilliant minds think alike :D I was thinking just the same and that maybe a couple strips of double sided carpet tape would work well. Of course, the BH5 won't have its full effect of reducing the vibrations of the panel it is taped to, as it would if it was properly bonded with its PSA, and when removing it the protective paper may be taken off at the same time. No biggie.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • gp4jesus
    edited January 2021
    Tony - I guess brilliant minds think alike :D I was thinking just the same and that maybe a couple strips of double sided carpet tape would work well. Of course, the BH5 won't have its full effect of reducing the vibrations of the panel it is taped to, as it would if it was properly bonded with its PSA, and when removing it the protective paper may be taken off at the same time. No biggie.
    Thanks George - yes we do! I believe he could confirm either way if BH5 affects bass response the way it affects mids and above - since this is an FR-only experiment, I doubt he will hear a diff.

If I had piece of BH about a foot square I’d give it a go though my subs come up a smidge short below 30hz

Curious... Tony
  • Gardenstater
    Interesting youtube video.....Does Polyfill Make a Box Bigger? - Tested and Revealed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INM0g1JeMLY

One could do the same experiment with BH5 carpet taped inside of a subwoofer enclosure.

I have modified my Martin Logan Dynamo so that I have the option of placing the circuit board outside of the enclosure and I could actually stuff it completely full with Polyfill and/or BH5 on all the walls except the baffle. I'd have to get the measurement equipment of course.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo - Did you read DarqueKnight's thread on his BH5 1.2tl install? He used more material; strips on the side walls and behind the tweeters.

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/148198/blackhole-5-damping-material-in-the-sda-srs-1-2tl

Thanks and yes I did read that. The jury is still out whether or not I'm going to do the side wall strips. At some point I probably will and then I'll have a good reference point of how they sound with just the backs done. There's no backwave behind the tweeters so no I don't plan on treating that area. .
  • Gardenstater
    OK cool. Looking forward to your further impressions. Not to be a wiseguy but there's no "backwave" at the sides either. I think it's more a matter of having the BH5 in the vicinity of the drivers because every surface of the back of the cone becomes a point source for a sound wave, in other words there are sound waves radiating out in all directions and bouncing all over the place within the cabinets and that can cause interference with the proper primary motion of the cones. I think the other key is amount of BH5 relative to total cabinet volume, along with keeping the area around the passive free of it. Just my 2c.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • gp4jesus
    dkfreebird wrote: »
    Picked this up to give it a spin.1vv72895va5s.jpg
    looks like a preamplifier?

• dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,180
    It's an Integrated amp.
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    I just looked up it's specs and it seems very well made . ;)

It's supposed to drive all speakers with ease. Sounds like a winner to me. B)

let us know later on. :p
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • dkfreebird
    Will do,once I spend some more time with it.But I can say right now this is the best amp I've had in my system so far and it has detail in spades. It doesn't break a sweat running the 1.2tl's.
    2 Channel
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    @dkfreebird sure you don't want to try a norma in there?
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • dkfreebird
    edited January 2021
    @marvda1 I'd love to. Heard it at Skips.But at the stupid price I got this at it was a no brainer to me. Norma is a little out of my price range at this point. But....You never know. :p
    2 Channel
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    :)B)

udadnqixb21g.png
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • gp4jesus
    edited January 2021
    Interesting youtube video.....Does Polyfill Make a Box Bigger? - Tested and Revealed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INM0g1JeMLY
    In the motorhead world: there’s no replacement for displacement.

I’m a bit disappointed Polyfill seems to make less of a difference than I was lead to believe. YMMV w/the driver higher Qts versus lower Qts. Could help some w/BSC for a mid-woofer or fudge if the closure is a slightly undersized.