What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I bet that is sublime!

It is more than that. It is entirely another level, and endgame for sure. It has to be experienced to be believed.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    doctor r wrote: »
    Spent 4 hours playing with:
    0hdohj9h2b4i.jpeg

My Christmas present from the wife 👍🏻

The improvement using Analogmagik on the setup my OL Enterpise Mk4 arm with the Madake has been a little eye opening (really ear opening...). I have always put a lot of effort into my cartridge setups but his placed the sound into a different world.

That is a great present. Would like to give it a try but its pricey. Sounds like a good investment though.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,475
    tratliff wrote: »
    0hdohj9h2b4i.jpeg

The improvement using Analogmagik on the setup my OL Enterpise Mk4 arm with the Madake has been a little eye opening (really ear opening...). I have always put a lot of effort into my cartridge setups but his placed the sound into a different world.

That is a great present. Would like to give it a try but its pricey. Sounds like a good investment though.

Group buy
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    tratliff wrote: »
    0hdohj9h2b4i.jpeg

Group buy

Count me in.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    edited January 2021
    Finally got around to installing the Blackhole5 that @Moose68Bash so kindly karma'd to me a while back.....err uhh quite a while back :D It was a piece that is 7-1/4" x 9-1/4", so not quite big enough for 2 pieces 6" x 6", so I pieced it into 2 pieces that are 5-7/8" x 5-7/8" with a 1-1/4" square missing from one corner (yeah I'll fix that in the future....maybe). Anyway, this was a bigger transformation than I expected! The first song in the queue happened to be David Gilmour Live at Pompeii, Comfortably Numb and the difference was astoundingly obvious from the git go. The vocals were super clean and breathy.....yeah I'd rather use that in reference to a female vocalist but that was my first reaction. Further songs cemented that in that vocals have taken on a new crystal clarity and the bass is tighter as well. The feeling that there is a live band in my room is now inescapable. I guess attenuating that back wave from the midwoofer is super important. Anyway I'm lovin it.

0tntjut5f6zn.jpg

dahoy0zd8wh0.jpg

usvpgdxdm9si.jpg

46ssn4p7leyl.jpg

97gjp63q0rdc.jpg

George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    A piece ~7” X 7” in each closure made what sounds like a BIG diff?
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • Gardenstater
    It was a little less than 6" x 6". The more I think about it, it is probably having that little square missing in the upper outer corner that is where the magic comes in. :D
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • pitdogg2
    gp4jesus wrote: »
    You just need it directly behind the woofers.

This stuff is incredible at cleaning/tightening up resonances. In the 2.3tls you just use a piece that's just big enough to go behind the woofers. If you get too much it will suck the life right out of your speakers.
    @Toolfan66 IIRC did most of his enclosure on his 1.2tls and promptly removed most quickly.
  • nooshinjohn
    edited January 2021
    Man, that looks familiar :p
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    I don't think ive ever heard Krell equipment before. But I am for some reason drawn to it. I want a Krell amp so bad!
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042

This stuff is incredible at cleaning/tightening up resonances. In the 2.3tls you just use a piece that's just big enough to go behind the woofers. If you get too much it will suck the life right out of your speakers.
    @Toolfan66 IIRC did most of his enclosure on his 1.2tls and promptly removed most quickly.

I finally got around to ordering a sheet of bh5 last week and plan on doing my 1.2tls after reading all the positive reviews for years. I'm thinking 2 strips 27'' long by 3'' wide behind each array should be good. I've read that the adhesive is very good but I wonder if anyone has used extra adhesive to insure they do not loosen up?
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    Congrats on your new disc spinner, Ivan!
  • Gardenstater
    edited January 2021
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Gardenstater
    edited January 2021

I finally got around to ordering a sheet of bh5 last week and plan on doing my 1.2tls after reading all the positive reviews for years. I'm thinking 2 strips 27'' long by 3'' wide behind each array should be good. I've read that the adhesive is very good but I wonder if anyone has used extra adhesive to insure they do not loosen up?

I was wondering that myself but I took the precaution of cleaning the surface of my particle board with some Everclear 190 on a paper towel. I'm sure Isopropyl or Denatured would work fine but you can't use it for a Bloody Mary :). Anyway, some brown stuff came off and it was much smoother and cleaner feeling. You don't want to get the wood wet, just a lil on the surface which will quickly flash off. Then I tested the adhesive with a finger and felt it was plenty sticky enough. Time will tell.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,270
    http://www.lampizator.eu/lampizator/references/krell cd300/Krell CD300.html

This is what lukasz fikus the owner of lampizator had to say about the krell kav cd300.
  • Navy_Goat
    Navy_Goat Posts: 375

I just went through this process with my 2.3tl. I pretty much covered the back wall and it totally killed bass and mid-bass. Took the life right out of the speakers. I removed all by a 4x4 square behind each drive and the came right back to life.

SDA SRS 2.3tl, SDA 1C, SDA 2B (TL mod), Reserve 200
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    edited January 2021

So this BH stuff is to dampen resonances like say Dynomat, Secondskin, or Armacell*?
    *CHEAP version of Dyno or SS

Or does it absorb certain frequencies?

Help me out. Thanks
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • pitdogg2

I wonder if anyone has used extra adhesive to insure they do not loosen up?

No need for that. The glue they use is like that mouse trap glue. If you've ever got into any of that you'll understand.

• nooshinjohn
    How about some thoughts on that new Krell you are playing with...

• motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    I now have a 3X27" strip of bh5 behind each of my 1.2tl's arrays. I haven't had the drivers out since 2012 so it was a struggle pulling the first driver out of each cabinet. As was mentioned the glue is very strong and I saw no need for any additional glue. Now I need to spend some time with them for some listening impressions.
    k7mu7mq6zc7e.jpg
    xc8x0advtb8f.jpg

• pitdogg2
    edited January 2021
    How about some thoughts on that new Krell you are playing with...

If I can stop the ear orgasms long enough....

My Pioneer PD-09 was/is no slouch but this Krell is a magnitude force factor of 10.
    Much cleaner bass, better midrange and the sparkle in the upper registers are crisp clean and concise without any fatigue.

You said it, IT was no lie!!
    END GAME!!!

I mean really it sucks😳🤣
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    My Pioneer PD-09 was/is no slouch but this Krell is a magnitude force factor of 10.
    Much cleaner bass, better midrange and the sparkle in the upper registers are crisp clean and concise without any fatigue.

END GAME!!!

I mean really it sucks😳🤣

I was wondering whose tranny was missing some gears! Congrats Ivan!
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • pitdogg2
    GlennDog wrote: »

END GAME!!!

I mean really it sucks😳🤣

I was wondering whose tranny was missing some gears! Congrats Ivan!

Thanks Glenn.
    John and I had fun with all that.
    Great seller and a wonderful Polkie.
    I had ran into some initial problems with it playing some SACD's. While he does have the manual he was not able to include it's due to its location at the time of packing. He was very helpful in getting the player to play the SACD's I was having trouble with.

It has played everything I have put in it today.

• nooshinjohn
    Glad this stayed in the family Ivan. It is also good to know my description of you was right on the money! :p;):pB)

• jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    jdjohn wrote: »
    Oh, so GF is now the backup? I really like the AT house sound. I guess my top ones are OC9/I & III, and AT33PTG. Also an AT33 Mono. Lots of vintage AT MM carts as well. Nice, flat FR IMO.
    I have realized I was off in my comment here, thinking @nooshinjohn had purchased (a lowly) Audio Technica cart. In my defense, the logo on the box confused me between the two manufacturers. Perhaps you can understand my confusion looking at the company logos side-by-side:
    xi4k7l4cjfh6.jpg
    For the record, though, I do like the AT house sound...especially for the money.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Oh, so GF is now the backup? I really like the AT house sound. I guess my top ones are OC9/I & III, and AT33PTG. Also an AT33 Mono. Lots of vintage AT MM carts as well. Nice, flat FR IMO.
    I have realized I was off in my comment here, thinking @nooshinjohn had purchased (a lowly) Audio Technica cart. In my defense, the logo on the box confused me between the two manufacturers. Perhaps you can understand my confusion looking at the company logos side-by-side:
    xi4k7l4cjfh6.jpg
    For the record, though, I do like the AT house sound...especially for the money.

I recently picked up an AT-OC9XSL, about 40 hours in and it's starting to shine. I like the Threaded Body on the new style AT offerings as well.
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    @Gardenstater,

I'm glad the BH5 worked out well for you1

Happy New Year!
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• Gardenstater
    I'm gonna need another piece from you so I can put some in the back of the enclosure behind my driver in my Martin Logan Dynamo Sub. Ha ha just kidding!

Thanks again and Happy New Year!
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS