What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Comments

• 2 things:

1) Swapped out the right angle 10ft long, 18AWG power cable that came with the Martin Logan Dynamo Subwoofer for a Monoprice one that is only 6ft long and is 14AWG. What a huge difference! The amp must've been stifled. More bass articulation and resolution. Much more enjoyable. The Monoprice PC was something like $3. What is wrong with these manufacturers???

2) Swapped out my iFi Mercury 0.5m USB cable for a 0.5m Pangea Premier SE. I'm disappointed so far but what a difference!! How anybody can say that USB cables can't possibly make a difference must have tin ears and a poorly resolving system. I will not give up on the Pangea's and will give them some break in time but it is plainly obvious that the Pangea is more restrained and warm while the iFi is fast, dynamic and bright. I don't know how that can't be better in anybodies book. The Pangea must be holding something back. I bought this because my buddy Steve brought a 1m long one and we both thought it sounded better overall although my opinion was that the highs weren't quite as good, whereas the bass was more resolving. Well I'm confused because unless breakin can make a huge difference I'm not caring for this brand new, shorter one.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    edited September 2020
    ...Swapped out the right angle 10ft long, 18AWG power cable that came with the Martin Logan Dynamo Subwoofer for a Monoprice one that is only 6ft long and is 14AWG. What a huge difference! The amp must've been stifled. More bass articulation and resolution. Much more enjoyable. The Monoprice PC was something like $3. What is wrong with these manufacturers???
    Now...explain to me in a way I might understand why the same principle shouldn’t apply to speaker cable and/or internal wiring? I realize we will have exceptions.

Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • I believe what I observed and others are observing with these large gauge power cables is that it is all about transient response and not about ampacity. That 18awg power cord has an ampacity of 10 amps and I only have a 200W amplifier in that Martin Logan Sub. 200W/120V = 1.75amps ! The 14awg pc has an ampacity of 18amps which some would cry OVERKILL OVERKILL! I've even heard people here say that 20amp runs from the breaker box are overkill for audio. I don't believe that's the case.

https://www.stayonline.com/product-resources/reference-circuit-ampacity.asp
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,178
    edited September 2020
    gp4jesus wrote: »
    ...Swapped out the right angle 10ft long, 18AWG power cable that came with the Martin Logan Dynamo Subwoofer for a Monoprice one that is only 6ft long and is 14AWG. What a huge difference! The amp must've been stifled. More bass articulation and resolution. Much more enjoyable. The Monoprice PC was something like $3. What is wrong with these manufacturers???
    Now...explain to me in a way I might understand why the same principle shouldn’t apply to speaker cable and/or internal wiring? I realize we will have exceptions.

I know you know you're preaching to the choir :) Gauge in speaker cables is very important in my book, especially for good bass. There's always diminishing returns at some point however. I have only tried 13awg 6ft and 14awg 5ft in my system and I haven't tried anything with lower DCR yet.

PS: I do have future plans to fabricate another pair of 14awg 4N Ribbon Cables and parallel them right on the same binding posts on the speaker and amp and see what 11awg sounds like on my system. So many planned upgrades. It never ends but that's OK.
    Post edited by Gardenstater on
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,020
    steveinaz wrote: »
    The 3rd meter is probably for mic input.

Actually :p -- it's apparently a dual-function meter, used to set the recording bias and also as some sort of dynamic range optimizer.
    https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/pioneer-ct-f700-dynamic-recording-meter-issue.822667/

qn7flwdm5ew4.png
  • mhardy6647
    I've got to say -- having just finished the speaker swap & returned them to their owner -- those GR Research Paradox 1s amazed me with their articulation, neutrality and seamlessness. I know that the "GR Research" guy (Danny Richie) is something of a polarizing figure... but I did very much like what I heard.

Too bad that the tweeter that this particular model used is NLA.

• TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 1,001
    A couple of months ago,I set up a small streaming only system in our breezeway. Well, I got a little carried away and moved that system to our finished basement/ family room/ HT room,with a few changes. It now consists of a pair of Monarchy Audio sm70mkII’s,Graham Chartwell LS3/5’s,Promitheus Audio TVC,a Node 2,and a Beresford Bushmaster DAC,and a very inexpensive sub. To my ears,very satisfying sound. The room is pretty well insulated,so I am able to keep the volume just a little bit higher without bothering the mrs.
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    edited September 2020
    Tony M wrote: »
    k05gxffngzuh.png
    One GREAT pic is worth a thousand words! My “priceless” experience most any time I boot up a blu ray😊

Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,013
    I see your signature equipment list. :o You definitely have your own "Home Theater" for sure.

I also have those Polk RTi12's in the back room, but I need to get those tweeters going again. But these RT3000Ps have impressed me from the first time I heard one. The concrete floor vibrated under my feet. :p
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,089
    Does turning it on count?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I would say yes. I turned mine on this morning to warm it up for tonight. First time I will listen to it in a week. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Been on vacation for 7 days. Can’t wait to get back and watch The Boys on Prime turned up!
  • Joe, where on vacation? Hearing about a vacation would be good for the mind in 2020. Haven't had the courage to go anywhere.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    I moved my system to my main floor and tied in my Maggies. It had the opposite effect of what I was looking for; the soundstage shrunk!
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • joecoulson
    Joe, where on vacation? Hearing about a vacation would be good for the mind in 2020. Haven't had the courage to go anywhere.

We had a great time in Kiawah SC
    Beautiful weather and some great beach/boat time.
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,871
    Tell us more since I know they are already burned in :D
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,510
    ^^^What he said! I’m considering trying a pair of Elba 2 this winter.
  • marvda1 wrote: »
    Tell us more since I know they are already burned in :D
    Like you don't already know, lol.
    maxward wrote: »
    ^^^What he said! I’m considering trying a pair of Elba 2 this winter.
    @maxward I can tell you right now the Elba 2 is going to have more slam than these. These dig plenty deep, but don't have that same level of impact. But they certainly dig deeper and fill in the bottom end where the Usher T515 couldn't reach. And they do so without any signs of becoming bloated or one note like my JBL Studio 580s would be, especially in a smaller room. At some point I might try some solid state power if I feel like these need a little more oomf, but right now I'm loving the balance in my 15 x 13(ish) room.

The imaging and general smoothness of the top end is the biggest immediate difference. These really bring a new level of focus to the imaging that I haven't had before at home. And no particular part of the frequency range jumps out at me, which is a positive in my mind. Everything just transitions nicely as it should.
    I do think I still need to play with placement a little, but I expect these to be here for awhile. Probably focusing on sources and cables next. But no rush on any of that. I'm going to enjoy the system as is for awhile and let my wallet recover. :)
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,871
    @pitdogg2 what tube amp is that?
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,548
    marvda1 wrote: »
    @pitdogg2 what tube amp is that?

It is a pre and Silk Audio
  • joecoulson
    Nice fellers

Mine is in limbo...

rolfbljnpzw3.jpeg
  • mhardy6647
    edited September 2020
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Nice fellers

Mine is in limbo...

rolfbljnpzw3.jpeg

aiyee! It was the HiFi Rapture!!!!! :o

I notice that the turntable was... Left Behind. :wink:

• TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 1,001
    During the summer,I set up a little system in our breezeway. A good portion of the time it was just to hot to sit out there. So,I moved the little rig down in our finished basement. AKA “The Pit”. It started out innocent enough. One thing lead to another,and this is what it has morphed into. It is just a streaming system.

h9y9ro5vykwx.jpeg
    fpuiuaotumfh.jpeg

One plus for this system is I had the ceiling and walls well insulated,so sound doesn’t travel too much upstairs. I can listen at a decent level without disturbing the little Mrs.
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    I see some bowing in that top middle shelf. Better get that looked at! :D
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • joecoulson
    Lol! My gosh that thing is heavy.