Vintage Monitor and SDA Speaker Deals

Comments

• engie490
    engie490 Posts: 424
    edited October 2020
    The type of interconnect socket is the determining factor of what they are.

Blade/blade = Original SDA SRS (non-compatible with Dreadnaught or AI-1).

Pin/Blade = SDS SRS 1.2 The speakers either have the RD0-194's or they been TL'd depending if the RD0-198 tweeters are installed along with the appropriate changes to the crossover) or they are SDA SRS 1.2TL with the RD0-198's. Dreadnaught or AI-1 compatible.

So, I pestered the owner for a pic of the SDA connection and this is what he added to the auction...

ark1g65cnbp6.jpg

And now he's added this...

gvthjgikscc2.jpg

Post edited by engie490 on
    Sonus Faber Liuto / Coda Continuum / Anthem STR Preamplifier / Oppo BDP-105D / Technics SP-15 w/SAEC WE-308SX & Ortofon AS-309 arms / Ikeda 9C2 & Dynavector XX2 Mk II carts
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Seems like prices are going UP... :p
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • michaeljhsda2
    michaeljhsda2 Posts: 2,164
    edited October 2020
    engie490 wrote: »
    The type of interconnect socket is the determining factor of what they are.

Blade/blade = Original SDA SRS (non-compatible with Dreadnaught or AI-1).

Pin/Blade = SDS SRS 1.2 The speakers either have the RD0-194's or they been TL'd depending if the RD0-198 tweeters are installed along with the appropriate changes to the crossover) or they are SDA SRS 1.2TL with the RD0-198's. Dreadnaught or AI-1 compatible.

So, I pestered the owner for a pic of the SDA connection and this is what he added to the auction...

ark1g65cnbp6.jpg

And now he's added this...

gvthjgikscc2.jpg
    They are 1.2's at the least because they have the pin/blade socket, however, the next question is...are the tweeters RD0-198's, if so they would be 1.2TL's ...if they're RD0-194's they're 1.2's but can be converted to 1.2 TL's. Easy way to find out is to remove a tweeter and if the white negative post is larger than the colored positive post they're RD0198's.

What's up with the socket further down? Looks like a microphone socket. SMH
    SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    SDA 1C's w/Clarity Cap ESA; PA, Mills, RD0194-1's
    SDA 2B TL's w/RD0198-1's
    Yaqin MC-30L integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    I think some used xlr plugs/sockets in the past.
  • engie490
    [/quote]
    They are 1.2's because they have the pin/blade socket but what's up with the socket further down? SMH
    [/quote]

He said he connected using that XLR JACK and it didn’t affect the sound. I asked him to take a pic of the binding posts so I could see the SDA jack and he realized that he show try connecting the SDA cable correctly. So, he wants to hear the SDA effect before he sells them.

He also did the leak test and the drivers moved back in about a second.

He did confirm the tweets are all RD-0194s.
    Sonus Faber Liuto / Coda Continuum / Anthem STR Preamplifier / Oppo BDP-105D / Technics SP-15 w/SAEC WE-308SX & Ortofon AS-309 arms / Ikeda 9C2 & Dynavector XX2 Mk II carts
  • michaeljhsda2
    michaeljhsda2 Posts: 2,164
    edited October 2020
    The Binding post nuts need to be reversed because the 1.2 and 1.2 TL is the opposite of the original SRS. The label on the back of the speakers show that the positive is on the right but that is incorrect since these are 1.2's. Polk was Notorious for using old stock on newer models. For once you don't want to follow the label directions LOL
    Once the seller reverses the wires he will notice a major improvement in bass, as it is now, the speakers are out of phase.
    SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    SDA 1C's w/Clarity Cap ESA; PA, Mills, RD0194-1's
    SDA 2B TL's w/RD0198-1's
    Yaqin MC-30L integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
  • c8f5577n4q11.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/233753356447
    SDA-2(A?) in NJ for $250 with "make an offer."

I wanna buy 'em cause the cabinets look great(way better than mine).... but the WAF of having two sets of these in the house... even for a few months :#
  • engie490
    I wanna buy 'em cause the cabinets look great(way better than mine).... but the WAF of having two sets of these in the house... even for a few months :#

Spongebob...this one is a softball...

"Honey, I only got these because I want to make you happier about my speakers. These are SO much better looking than my current pair and I'll sell the old ones in a couple months and break even."

Boom. Done.

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Whatcha want in the obit section Bob???

• engie490 wrote: »

Spongebob...this one is a softball...

"Honey, I only got these because I want to make you happier about my speakers. These are SO much better looking than my current pair and I'll sell the old ones in a couple months and break even."

Boom. Done.

Most of the time WAF will defy logic.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • engie490
    engie490 wrote: »

Boom. Done.

I may have failed to adequately explain this last part. The “Boom” is a shotgun blast and Spongebob is the “Done.”
  • engie490
    OK...here's a pretty good deal in KC. Pair of SDA-2Bs for $125. Looks great, but only one works. Could be a polyswitch...

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/ele/d/olathe-polk-audio-sda-2b-speakers/7219530424.html

y90zj34868ie.jpg
  • Tony M
    I'd buy them if the mid-woofers move freely. ;)
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,133
    edited October 2020
    Ha ha these sound strangely familiar. Most likely all 3 drivers are blown in the speaker that doesn't work.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,635
    I just want the drivers.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Uh-oh, he accepted $200!
  • Gardenstater
    edited October 2020
    xschop wrote: »
    I just want the drivers.

Check the other thread. I think he sold them already and most likely the voice coils were trashed due to some high current flow, maybe a lightning strike or amplifier malfunction. Do you have any plans on how to fix MW's with bad voice coils. We know you can fix the tweeters and make them better to boot ;)
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • xschop
    Maybe I spoke too soon.
    I'd taken the MW drivers as long as they ohm out....
  • engie490
    Uh-oh, he accepted $200!

I hope your life insurance is paid up!
  • Ha ha these sound strangely familiar. Most likely all 3 drivers are blown in the speaker that doesn't work.

You are correct. I took a chance on them, and all three are indeed blown.
    I think they're a bigger project than I want to tackle at the moment. If anyone in the area wants them for parts, let me know.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Welcome to Club Polk. Man up and put some love into them. Lots of help here if needed.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Gardenstater
    edited October 2020
    If you decide to keep them refer to the other thread and start another one and we'll continue to help. Giddyap!

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/192261/sda-2b-crossover-help#latest
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Thanks!
    You're probably right. They could be a decent starting point for a full rebuild. Gonna need to shop for a lot of parts.
  • Gardenstater
    I see the crossovers fairly often on eBay. You may have a damaged inductor or two in that speaker that doesn't work, in addition to fried voice coils in all the drivers. The SDA 2B and the CRS+ use the same crossovers. You could probably find an inductor with the same inductance and resistance and you could replace them in matched pairs on both XO's also if you wanted.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • xschop
    Do the MWs even ohm out or are they open/shorted?
  • ALL drivers in the bad speaker read open. Unfortunately, the 6511 in the working speaker has also been replaced with a 6500 at some point in time.
  • Gardenstater
    That's too bad. Definitely not interchangeable. Maybe you should start a new thread so we don't hijack this one.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • engie490
    bigmontana wrote: »
    ALL drivers in the bad speaker read open. Unfortunately, the 6511 in the working speaker has also been replaced with a 6500 at some point in time.

Check out this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/POLK-AUDIO-MW-6503-WOOFER/193724164632?epid=1917927380&hash=item2d1adc2a18:g:pqkAAOSwLYdflds8

And this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Polk-Audio-MW-6511-6-5-SDA-drivers/143799171712?hash=item217b193a80:g:~SgAAOSw1P1fkGxW
  • lawdogg
    lawdogg Posts: 449
    <3 my 3.1TLs

I will fix your shifted magnets for free. :)
  • Tony M
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^50.00 or make offer? :o ^^^^^^^^^