Billet RD-0194/8 tweeter plate design.

Comments

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    edited August 2020
    Wow.....Thanks for the Comparison Pic. I intentionally left the billet extrusion texture on the back side as it seems to grab the PVA foam I used,as it is less "spongy" than armacell even. The design goal was to take full advantage of the cabinet's sealing surface.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • xschop
    edited August 2020
    I just read your post on Sound Recluse's thread. Not sure how you insulated your coil leads.
    The idea is to have as thin as possible insulator like common electrical tape, or "liquid elec. tape" as Pittdogg Suggested. This ensures the entire mating surfaces of the coil frame, magnet, and billet bezel are all evenly seated when magnet screws are snugged down.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,478
    After further pondering this afternoon I thought of another that maybe could also work.

What about that "Flex Seal" stuff?
    It's supposed to be some sort of rubberized material. I've personally never used any of it.

I don't know if somehow the chemical make up of the paint on stuff may have a reaction with the copper.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,043
    xschop wrote: »
    I just read your post on Sound Recluse's thread. Not sure how you insulated your coil leads.
    The idea is to have as thin as possible insulator like common electrical tape, or "liquid elec. tape" as Pittdogg Suggested. This ensures the entire mating surfaces of the coil frame, magnet, and billet bezel are all evenly seated when magnet screws are snugged down.

I tried some building "flashing tape" at first but it was a pain to cut and peel those tiny pieces. That stuff is very sticky and squishy and works very well once it's in place. It's not cheap at $60 a roll and thankfully I have some left over from a siding job. I really didn't notice any difference tightening the magnet screws with the gorilla tape but it was a lot easier to cut and put into place. I also cleaned the back of the plates first with brake cleaner to remove any possible contaminants.
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    Guys, Those look fantastic!!!!

Harry (was a perfectionist in early years)
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • xschop
    Listening to my 5Bs doing some other stuff in garage. I started looking at the set of SL2000 magnets. I'll see what jig I can make to copy the bolt pattern of their magnets so the end user can convert his SL-2000s to silk domes using these plates.
  • xschop
    edited August 2020
    Besides the PCD of magnet holes being a couple mm's wider, the SL-2000's have 0.100" more wider magnet inteface/centering at the bezel than RD0's

ks5hjx9ucf9i.jpg
    6z3y4tcjiegf.jpg
    mg938bqw0pjp.jpg
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    Thanks Polk
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • xschop
    Anyone who's placed an order, I'm shipping today. The holiday weekend threw my schedule off.
  • xschop
    Have you considered doing a similar design for the SL1000? The RD-0194 is the replacement for it, however the SL1000 faceplate is substantially smaller.

How thick is the SL1000 plate?
    I left a set of RDO plates without magnet countersinks and will see what can be done to adapt a set. I have the length and widths and corner radii written down.
  • xschop wrote: »
    Have you considered doing a similar design for the SL1000? The RD-0194 is the replacement for it, however the SL1000 faceplate is substantially smaller.

How thick is the SL1000 plate?
    I left a set of RDO plates without magnet countersinks and will see what can be done to adapt a set. I have the length and widths and corner radii written down.

Unfortunately, I don't have any SL1000s anymore
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Those DO look great!

I think a silver cross-over plate would take the look to the max. ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • xschop
    I'm not sure how the little handles fit on there, but that flat plate could be stripped and brushed easily to match. Glad you're happy.
  • ptrooper
    ptrooper Posts: 501
    There two screws for each handle from the inside of the plate !
  • xschop
    ptrooper wrote: »
    There two screws for each handle from the inside of the plate !

Then chem-stripping and brushing to match would be easy.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    Will you be making any more?
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    I am curious if any improvements in sound have been made with these.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • xschop
    In My monitor 5B's, not a single peep from the 194 diaphragms (It would resonate quite often in the plastic housings).

Indeed the cabinet sealing has improved on mine as well.
    And with simple hurricane nuts, the monocoque design renders the cabinet area much stiffer also. You can crank down the cabinet mount screws with ZERO deformation.
  • xschop
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    Will you be making any more?

As market forces dictate. If you didnt get in on the current run, you may in 3-4 weeks.
    Like any custom parts I've made over the years, they can take a back seat to oilfield parts that take precedence. $1200 part vs a $45 part is an economic no-brainer where I'm from.
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    @xschop, I'll take 8 for my 1.2tl's if/when you make another run.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • xschop
    JayCee wrote: »
    @xschop, I'll take 8 for my 1.2tl's if/when you make another run.

Got you down for a set JayCee.
    Care to take a couple of measurements of the Passives for me?
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    Sure, what do you need?
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    Excellent work!

Do you have the ability to anodize them? I do like the beautiful machine work, but would likely anodize them black.
  • xschop
    JayCee wrote: »
    Sure, what do you need?

The inner thru-hole on the cabinet itself (RED)
    The outer in-step (BLUE)

and ON THE PASSIVE itself, the exact center-to-center of the mount holes.

8ltdvxd8z5fr.jpg
  • xschop
    gmcman wrote: »
    Excellent work!

Do you have the ability to anodize them? I do like the beautiful machine work, but would likely anodize them black.

Yes I do. One member will be doing black. I know they'll be stunning. If I do a set, they'll be red and I'll anodize the MW phase-plug to match for my last set of Jr's that I have good cabinets for.
  • ptrooper
    ptrooper Posts: 501
    Hey Rob. You going to make reference rings for the x over plate ?
    I know the tweeters will be solid as ❤️
  • xschop
    edited October 2020
    Take good measurement or send me an X-over plate and take pictures inside the cabinets to ensure there are no MDF supports in the way. I'll build them.

The X-over plate looks like it could double in thickness itself and simply use hurricane nuts for even more rigidity in that area.