What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Comments

• gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    What’s the little toggle switch do? Adjust tweeter output?
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,133
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    I was hearing a very slight bass bump, using around the A-D on the bass (appr. 55-75 hz). I have my ML Grotto crossed over very low, either 42.5 or 40 (can't see without pulling it out of the cabinet) so I just reached around and turned it down one click (2.5 hz). MUCH better. That allowed me to raise the volume ever so slightly getting a slightly fuller foundation while getting better integration at the same time.

How does that Grotto compare soundwise to the Dynamo original? Go ahead and tell me I can take it lol. I see it's a servo-controlled sub! Interestingly, and I may have mentioned it, but the back of the Dynamo manual has a reference to it being a servo controlled sub! That's a mystery to me because it is not! I wonder if the early ones were and they didn't make that correction in the very back of the manual.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    gp4jesus wrote: »
    What’s the little toggle switch do? Adjust tweeter output?

check.
    actually, it changes the HF contour -- according to their owner, who added it after consulting with the designer. :|
  • gp4jesus
    From who did you buy? Pre-termed & cut?

I’d love these for my next round of mods. I would have used these instead of the bulkier 14 ga from BJ. Would like ~30’ to connect my tower’s tweeters

Thnx, G. Tony
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    I was hearing a very slight bass bump, using around the A-D on the bass (appr. 55-75 hz). I have my ML Grotto crossed over very low, either 42.5 or 40 (can't see without pulling it out of the cabinet) so I just reached around and turned it down one click (2.5 hz). MUCH better. That allowed me to raise the volume ever so slightly getting a slightly fuller foundation while getting better integration at the same time.

How does that Grotto compare soundwise to the Dynamo original? Go ahead and tell me I can take it lol. I see it's a servo-controlled sub! Interestingly, and I may have mentioned it, but the back of the Dynamo manual has a reference to it being a servo controlled sub! That's a mystery to me because it is not! I wonder if the early ones were and they didn't make that correction in the very back of the manual.

Honestly I cannot really say. Not only have I never directly compared them, but I never used the Dynamo in this setup. Plus, I have changed basically everything except my speakers in the last year, so its hard to isolate individual components. I can say that I am VERY happy with the grotto. Even in a less that ideal setup (stuffed in a cabinet) it fills my living area (open to the kitchen and much of the house) with quick, tight, and textured bass. But again, most of that is coming from the Contours, as the sub is crossed over very low.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Gardenstater
    edited August 2020
    Tony I got the 15.5 ga Cardas in Red and Black from Sonicraft for $1.95/ft and I got the WBT-0657 2.8mm Fastons (they call it a Flat Push-On Cable Shoe lol) from Parts Connexion for $2.50 each. The Wonder Signature solder was from michaelpercy. A crimper that was actually a crimper used for crimping braided steel fishing leader sleeves was extremely helpful as well (borrowed from a friend). Actually very helpful for twisting the litz wires extra tightly after denuding them, and also for getting a very good crimp on the fastons, prior to soldering.

I mistakenly said above in my construction post that the fastons were Furez. They were WBT. I feel these were way overpriced and I was mistakenly assuming that they must be (because of the price) of a superior conducting material. I don't think they are anything but gold plated brass but I don't actually know because I haven't asked the manufacturer. I do know that I can scratch a copper penny with the cut end.
    Post edited by Gardenstater on
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • gp4jesus
    WBT ?
  • Gardenstater
    Correct, although they do not show the fastons on their website. It's a high priced German company. https://www.partsconnexion.com/wbt-faston-connectors.html
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • gp4jesus
    edited August 2020
    “...the 15.5 ga Cardas in Red and Black from Sonicraft...”
    How do I “get there?” “Sonicraft” takes me to a recording site. And what am I looking for on their site? I want ~30’ of this stuff, maybe less if available in speaker wire config. Connectors can wait. I hope they take PP
    The Wonder Signature solder was from michaelpercy.
    I use Cardas solder. How does that stack up?
    “...twisting the litz wires extra tightly after denuding them...”
    “denuding?”

Thanks G, Tony
  • Gardenstater
    edited August 2020
    My Bad.....Sonic Craft. Two c's in their website apparently

http://www.soniccraft.com/product_info.php/cardas-awg-155-black-p-1610
    http://www.soniccraft.com/product_info.php/cardas-awg-155-red-p-2040

I honestly don't know but Cardas Eutectic or WBT may be as good or better.
    https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/solder-eutechnic-wonder-wbt

Denuding.......to divest of covering, make bare ;)

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/denuding
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471
    I've used many others, always came back to Cardas.
  • tp6hj9fi2z3c.jpg
    JB welded more mw drivers.
    I made a squeezy bag with my food saver, and it made the application so much easier!
    Still made a little bit of a mess trying to push it in the gap with pieces of index card.
    e2dyrs1j0abd.jpg
    I even did my spare NOS 1998 mw6510. Interesting it has different (single) terminals than the originals (double).
  • Gardenstater
    Well that certainly isn't going anywhere! How long did the JB Weld stay workable in your squeeze tube you made?
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • It was still workable after about an hour when I threw it out cause I ran out of drivers to glue.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    JB welded more mw drivers.
    I made a squeezy bag with my food saver, and it made the application so much easier!
    Still made a little bit of a mess trying to push it in the gap with pieces of index card.

Did you pick up any of that Hormel Black Label® bacon @ $4.99? It may seem like a deal, but if you look closely, it is only 12 ounces instead of a pound.

Still, it's not as high as Peter Luger's Steakhouse® bacon. That's like $53 for 12 ounces plus about $10 for shipping! :o

5rykvjp0vd3e.jpg
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    I’ve gotten the new L800 from Polk I really like them

Got any pics?
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    Just got some Herbie's slider feet. Thinking I maybe should have sprung for the big ones for actual sliding, but these will help protect our new carpet.
    9e9mm0wgpj7p.jpg

Begging the question.
    What sorts of sliding are non-actual?
    Inquiring minds want to know.

B)
  • Gardenstater
    edited August 2020
    Looks like they're supposed to go under spikes and maybe they have some sort of damping compound on the inside with a rounded slippery plastic bottom?

What kind of floor do you have under the carpet.....floating wood floor over concrete, concrete, wood floor with joist construction over another room?......
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    edited August 2020
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Just got some Herbie's slider feet. Thinking I maybe should have sprung for the big ones for actual sliding, but these will help protect our new carpet.
    9e9mm0wgpj7p.jpg

Begging the question.
    What sorts of sliding are non-actual?
    Inquiring minds want to know.

B)

So the carpet pad has enough spring that these sink in a little, so getting the whole rack sliding requires a bit of finesse to get it started as they slide up out of their indentations.

I think the larger sliders in my situation would have had enough surface area to prevent that.

dgewd6vlv4is.jpg
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Nice! How is it Russ, always liked that company and that amp looks like a well built value prop.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    I had that happen. Had to get sober.