Formula One 2018

Comments

• recoveryone
    recoveryone Posts: 885
    I can't believe no one is talking about the race yesterday!!!! F1 came out with a BANG and delivered an Superbowl performance. The Merc's dominated all weekend from from free practice 1 to the final Qualifying lap with Bottas spinning out and still held pole. Great job by Lando Norris (I saw it in him last year) getting his first podium (even though it was due to a penalty on Hamilton. The Best thing about the race is that they are coming back next week to the same track. Definitely the gloves will be off this time.
    Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited July 2020
    They are probably boycotting.

2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    They are all probably boycotting now...lol.

^ He says on bended knee ^

I think what some drivers did before the race was despicable. The idea that sports organizations and the people in them earning millions believe they are anything more than entertainment is laughable.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    I can't believe no one is talking about the race yesterday!!!! F1 came out with a BANG and delivered an Superbowl performance. The Merc's dominated all weekend from from free practice 1 to the final Qualifying lap with Bottas spinning out and still held pole. Great job by Lando Norris (I saw it in him last year) getting his first podium (even though it was due to a penalty on Hamilton. The Best thing about the race is that they are coming back next week to the same track. Definitely the gloves will be off this time.

With almost half the field out during the race, very questionable penalties, no fans, etc. I'd say it was an epic failure.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    In what came as a surprise to nobody, Daniel Ricciardo's car broke.
  • F1nut
    Comment from Mercedes on the issues they were having in Austria.
    This is a circuit where it’s quite easy to overtake and as a result if you don’t use the kerbs, if you don’t push hard, you’re at risk. That’s one of the factors, but it’s the kerbs themselves that are very, very violent and you spend a lot of the lap running on them. For us, that was that issue and it probably doesn’t help that it’s nearly 30 degrees here, the air’s a bit thin so it’s hot, there isn’t as much cooling as you normally get, and all the temperatures inside the car are high.

Maybe if you left the cars silver instead of painting them black the issue wouldn't be anywhere near what it is. HELLO!!!

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    Yeah honestly I preferred last year's livery on the MB cars.
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,892
    Seems fairly obvious that the color of the cars had nothing to do with the outcome. 🙄

”Botched strategy, mechanical issues doom Mercedes at F1 Austrian GP”
    However, everything started to unravel on lap 14 when Valtteri Bottas exited the race from second place courtesy of a hydraulic problem which caused the gearbox to fail.

In the ensuring virtual safety car period, Ferrari and Red Bull cars pitted but Mercedes didn’t.
    The next -- and bigger -- problem was tire wear. With temperatures much higher than at any other point across the weekend, the tires were suffering badly. Mercedes, which in recent years has often been heavy on its tires, was among those worst affected.
    Alea jacta est!
  • Kex
    Similar heat problems for MBZ in Austria last year, when the cars were silver.

”Wolff says Mercedes need to work on cooling problems after Austria struggles”
    Painful. That’s how Mercedes Team Principal Toto Wolff described his viewing of the Austrian Grand Prix as he was forced to watch his silver cars cruise around – rather than fight – because of cooling issues...

Mercedes arrived in Austria unbeaten, with eight wins on the trot this year. They knew Austria was going to be challenging, with the warm conditions and altitude – and that turned out to be the case as they could not compete with Red Bull or Ferrari...
    Alea jacta est!
  • F1nut
    Quoting all that info from last year in an effort to twist the facts is an epic failure on your part, which comes as no surprise.

No one can dispute the fact that a black car will get a helluva lot hotter than a silver car. Mercedes had heat related issues last year due the reduced size of the cooling openings done for aero reasons. They addressed that and in races after Austria 2019 in even higher temperatures the cooling issue was a non-factor.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited July 2020
    Kex wrote: »
    Seems fairly obvious that the color of the cars had nothing to do with the outcome. 🙄

”Botched strategy, mechanical issues doom Mercedes at F1 Austrian GP”
    However, everything started to unravel on lap 14 when Valtteri Bottas exited the race from second place courtesy of a hydraulic problem which caused the gearbox to fail.

In the ensuring virtual safety car period, Ferrari and Red Bull cars pitted but Mercedes didn’t.
    The next -- and bigger -- problem was tire wear. With temperatures much higher than at any other point across the weekend, the tires were suffering badly. Mercedes, which in recent years has often been heavy on its tires, was among those worst affected.

That's not 2020. 🙄

President of Club Polk

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited July 2020
    F1nut wrote: »
    No one can dispute the fact that a black car will get a helluva lot hotter than a silver car. Mercedes had heat related issues last year due the reduced size of the cooling openings done for aero reasons. They addressed that and in races after Austria 2019 in even higher temperatures the cooling issue was a non-factor.

Wouldn't driving fast keep the outside of the car cool? Granted the engine gets hot, but I suspect that occurs irrespective of the car color.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Kex
    That's not 2020. 🙄

Exactly. MBZ has had a problem at the Austrian GP well before 2020.

And what color was the car that won this year?

Oh wait! 🤭

Yeah... BLACK. 🤫
    Alea jacta est!
  • F1nut
    BlueFox wrote: »

Wouldn't driving fast keep the outside of the car cool? Granted the engine gets hot, but I suspect that occurs irrespective of the car color.

The sun is still beating down.

President of Club Polk

• Kex
    edited July 2020

It’s not about the facts, silly.

Sure, black absorbs heat, but a well built engine should be able to cool itself properly, and the bodywork is not the main factor in cooling it down. I drive black MBZ cars, and they don’t run hotter than white or silver cars, because the cooling is designed that way.

The hot temperatures in Austria, with the effect of the altitude, would appear to have contributed to problems.

In any case, it’s no surprise that those who protested Hamilton’s kneeling before the race, would also protest the team changing the car color to black in sympathy for his cause - and the other car, from the same team WON. It was black.
    Alea jacta est!
  • Kex
    ... They addressed that and in races after Austria 2019 in even higher temperatures the cooling issue was a non-factor.

What about altitude?! 🤔
    Alea jacta est!
  • F1nut
    edited July 2020

It’s not about the facts, silly.

Sure, black absorbs heat, but a well built engine should be able to cool itself properly, and the bodywork is not the main factor in cooling it down. I drive black MBZ cars, and they don’t run hotter than white or silver cars, because the cooling is designed that way.

The hot temperatures in Austria, with the effect of the altitude, would appear to have contributed to problems.

The facts are you have no idea what you're talking about. Fact, last year the issue was engine cooling due to the size of the air ducts. This year it was the electronics housed under the skin of the car, which were failing due to excessive heat unrelated to the size of the air ducts, but the increased internal temperatures directly related to the black paint on the body.
    In any case, it’s no surprise that those who protested Hamilton’s kneeling before the race, would also protest the team changing the car color to black in sympathy for his cause - and the other car, from the same team WON. It was black.

When all else fails and you look like a fool with a big bag of nothing you pull the race card. Sad, but typical.

Read this until it sinks in. Not engine related, it was electronics related.

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Wait -- them guys' got black paint...?!?

hmm...

• Clipdat
    the team changing the car color to black in sympathy for his cause.

I had no idea that this was supposedly the reason for the livery change. Figured they were just going for a different look for the car this year.
  • recoveryone
    Well, according to the weather report for this weekend "HEAT" will not be an issue, but possible rain will be on the menu. Danny Ric already smashed up in FP2
    Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX
  • F1nut
    ESPN is worthless.

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    The John Player Specials were gorgeous in black & gold.

5vbou4723udd.png

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited July 2020
    Aren’t slicks now banned? I seem to remember that the cars were too fast with slicks. However, I’m not betting any money on my memory. :)

Edit:

Never mind. Google knows everything. Apparently they were banned from 1998 to 2008, and were then re-allowed. Shows how much I keep up on sports. :)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racing_slick
    Post edited by BlueFox on
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mhardy6647
    edited July 2020
    Lookit the tie on the geezer in the JPS photo -- that's old school F1, ol' son...

ztc9k77onqdb.png

OK, not quite that old school.
  • recoveryone
    ESPN is worthless.

Lucky I saw the highlights on youtube, I saw what you were saying ESPN screwed the pooch on this one, they should have replayed the Q sessions at a later time.
  • recoveryone
    I guess the universe is back in alinement...Hamilton back up front and Max's Tires just didn't have enough left to fight off Bottas. Once again Lando proving he will be the man next year at Mclaren. Danny Ric looked like he got his lunch money stolen from him in those last laps and Daddy Stroll must have put boot in Jr's butt as he is racing for his life all of a sudden.
  • recoveryone
    Racing point throwing the gauntlet down on the rest of the field "How you like me NOW!"
  • OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,065
    Racing point throwing the gauntlet down on the rest of the field "How you like me NOW WE'RE A PINK MERCEDES!"

FIFY
  • F1nut
    US, Canada and Brazil races officially cancelled due to the Wuhan virus.

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    Damn, Circuit of the Americas is one of my favorite tracks.