Post a picture... any picture

Comments

• CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    edited June 2020
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    CH46E wrote: »
    Very cool shot. I wish we had darker sky here.

Did you do a slight time exposure for that!

I suppose it depends upon one's definition of slight. ;)
    30 seconds at f/5 @ ISO 10000

also from last night...

50027667496_e3ce80ae2f_b.jpgDSC_0515 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

I don't know much about photography. I would have thought 30 seconds would have made a slight streak on the stars. Guess it's not enough time. Very cool!

Edit: actually I see the streak now that I zoom in on the photo. Still looks amazing.
  • CH46E
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Here's me two towers down hard at work...

4a3gid0mx0iz.jpg

What volcano is that in the distance???
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,197
    With apologies to Maxell. :)
    Sal Palooza
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420

4a3gid0mx0iz.jpg

Mt. Adams
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305

4a3gid0mx0iz.jpg

Mt. Adams

We lived in the Tri-Cities for a couple years when I managed the Lowe’s there - had a great view of Mt Adams from our living room window.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    edited June 2020
    I don't know much about photography. I would have thought 30 seconds would have made a slight streak on the stars. Guess it's not enough time. Very cool!

Edit: actually I see the streak now that I zoom in on the photo. Still looks amazing.

Yup, one sure does :)

ezgrzmvixfvy.png

Take a long enough exposure, and it's easy enough to spot Polaris (the North Star). :)

For "serious" astrophotography (with just a camera and lens or a 'scope) one would use an equatorial mount and a 'clockwork' tracker to synchronize the camera's motion with the earth's (so to speak) and hold everything still.

To me, one of the most remarkable things about astronomy in general and astrophotography in particular is that the magic ingredient usually isn't magnification, it's light gathering. Many objects of astronomical interest aren't particularly "small" to a terrestrial observer -- but they're dim. Digital photography brings at least a glimpse of lots of cool stuff into easy reach for folks with access to a reasonably dark sky, some time to kill, and (in the summertime, at least) some bug repellent :)

High-er magnification is nice to have for, e.g., observing planets -- but that's almost a different hobby altogether (see, e.g., the gorgeous lunar photos posted earlier by @joecoulson ).

• CH46E
    edited June 2020
    I've spent a lot of time with Military spec night vision goggles. At that time, the most advanced in the world. Every chance I had, I was looking at the stars. Its amazing. You can see other galaxies without magnification. They look like little night time clouds in the sky.

Unfortunately our home telescope is only really good at looking at our own moon. I do like seeing Jupiter's largest moons on line with its self. I usually get to see Jupiter then 4 moons all on one plane.

Post edited by CH46E on
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471
    I've spent a lot of time with Military spec night vision goggles. At that time, the most advanced in the world. Every chance I had, I was looking at the stars. Its amazing. You can see other galaxies without magnification. They look like little night time clouds in the sky. Unfortunately out telescope is only really good at looking at our own moon. I do like seeing Jupiter's largest moons on line with its self. I usually get to see Jupiter then 4 moons all on one plane.

Now that is super cool !
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Great view? How 'bout this one?

f5ys6cka0c9j.png

Tom

F4U-5?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    I've spent a lot of time with Military spec night vision goggles. At that time, the most advanced in the world. Every chance I had, I was looking at the stars. Its amazing. You can see other galaxies without magnification. They look like little night time clouds in the sky. Unfortunately out telescope is only really good at looking at our own moon. I do like seeing Jupiter's largest moons on line with its self. I usually get to see Jupiter then 4 moons all on one plane.

You can get some different eyepieces for it, you know? ;)

I didn't notice the Milky Way the other night by eye (it was a little too hazy) but the camera's CCD sure did ;)

In the wintertime (and sometimes on a clear and moonless summer night) it is often easily visible here (despite sources of light pollution to the south and the northwest of our own relatively dark location).

• daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    xo0at0nmaxmc.jpeg
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    F4U-5?
    Oh, I have no idea. It just came across my computer somehow and I thought I'd share it. I kinda dig the photo.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • mhardy6647
    treitz3 wrote: »
    F4U-5?
    Oh, I have no idea. It just came across my computer somehow and I thought I'd share it. I kinda dig the photo.

Tom

Certainly appears to be some flavor of F4U Corsair, given the wing design :|

lyh6i2fflyli.png
  • mhardy6647
    0urujtusmdc7.png

See, this is the kind of thing I find really amusing! They call this stuff Verb,
    so Verb is its name. That makes Verb a noun.

Nouning weirds language, too.

Hysterical!

:D
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471
    edited June 2020
    0urujtusmdc7.png

See, this is the kind of thing I find really amusing! They call this stuff Verb,

Hysterical!

Since it's a business venture does that make it a PROnoun :D
  • mhardy6647
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    0urujtusmdc7.png

Hysterical!

Well played, sir.
    Well played.

Since it's a business venture does that make it a PROnoun :D
    Viking64 wrote: »
    I think I'm going to adVerb to my shopping list.

Just don't do it hastily (see what I did there?).

:|

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited June 2020
    Here are those JBL's and NHT 2.5i's. And the old Onkyo Rec. and Sony player.

The JBL on the right was playing bass last night. Today, the amp wouldn't turn on for nothing. I hear a click when I push the toggle to "on", but no bass and the red led's don't turn to green like last night. I hate plate amps! It has tiny switches on the plate amp and maybe it's one of those. >:)
    9bke0k9pt3jn.png
    8i1yhfrioo0n.png
    aiztw797uam9.png
    coqelw76s5w5.png

Both towers were lit green last night! ;) the sound was fantastic too.

I have a lot of fuses that these use. I didn't change fuses a bit earlier. I'll look at it later. ;)
    sxqqcnav5tlb.png

Onto my polk SDA2's. The ones with 2 tweeters and 3 woofers. Then some others. :)

After looking at how these pics turned out on this thread, It looks like a wheel on the metal rack is sunk into the floor! I'm going out to check it out now.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    The flat wheel image was an optical illusion thank god. It's a shadow that makes the wheel look sunken in. :D
    tp70pjwzdwqd.png

I turned the system back on and after a few minutes, the amp turned on again in the right speaker. Maybe it's the auto/ manual turn on switch that needs attention. :#
    Crazy!!
    wae5nx6srk6q.png
    smmnig4ogve7.png

I just did a 1/2 hour or more jam session listening to those monsters again. They have their own signature sound for sure. Midrange is said to be their specialty and I have to agree. Very listenable and clear. They say you can tell what # drum-stick a drummer is using. I have to agree. Very life-like mids.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 999
    z6rp4595cvqp.jpeg
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,197
    😳
    Sal Palooza
  • CH46E
    I discovered I can turn up the contrast a bit to really show the two opposing colors. This was with my Galaxy S9 phone.

I really want a real camera.

bafdt0sv267s.jpg