What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Comments

• displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,123
    Nightfall wrote: »
    It's the Walmart version of the Ikea Kallax. I believe it's branded Better Homes & Garden. 8 square, there's two empty squares under the picture because new records are expensive but I'm getting there.

Bold choice leaving the bottom empty, but sounds like it's pretty solid if you have it that top heavy and don't have any swaying issues.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,648
    dromunds wrote: »
    What kinda LP rack is that? Nice

I have 5 of the Kallax. They are these:

gi5q61nmkdz4.bmp

I laid them on their side and stacked them. I also left out two of the shelves when I built them. Gives more room to flip through the records. Very sturdy. I also like how I get to use the top. The stack of three has my R2R on top. And the 2 to the left serve as my working area for sleeves of records currently in play.

jd3mkveak7n5.jpg

2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    Nightfall wrote: »
    It's the Walmart version of the Ikea Kallax. I believe it's branded Better Homes & Garden. 8 square, there's two empty squares under the picture because new records are expensive but I'm getting there.

Bold choice leaving the bottom empty, but sounds like it's pretty solid if you have it that top heavy and don't have any swaying issues.

e11bw99hkttv.png

(actually, the above-pictured catastrophe is, as most of y'all know, the result of "pilot error" -- to wit, assembling the shelving 90 degrees out of phase ;) with respect to the correct configuration)

• Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    ^^^Looks like the Turntable took a hit :# ^^^
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,034
    ^^^^Sad as all it would've taken to stop that is one 45 degree brace in one of the squares
  • mhardy6647
    ^^^^Sad as all it would've taken to stop that is one 45 degree brace in one of the squares

Or assembling the shelving correctly.

I reassembled one of mine after we moved and carelessly did it wrong -- someone noticed my gaffe when I posted the photo (me?! imagine that?!?) someplace on teh interwebs -- so I took it apart & put it together again the right way.
    The horizontal shelves are full-width as designed. Put it together that way and all's well.
    Assemble it with the full-width shelves vertically oriented and, sooner or later, hilarity ensues. :|

ooyhdsq7ownl.png
  • zarrdoss
    zarrdoss Posts: 2,562
    I turned it on and listened to it.
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,076
    edited April 2020
    Of the Expedit now Kallax IKEA shelves would the 4X4 be more stable than the 5X5, if full of albums? I would have no issues buying more than one if needed. I currently have about 45 milk crates of albums. Thank you.
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,648
    aprazer402 wrote: »
    Of the Expedit now Kallax IKEA shelves would the 4X4 be more stable than the 5X5, if full of albums? I would have no issues buying more than one if needed. I currently have about 45 milk crates of albums. Thank you.

I am not sure how you can get more stable than the singles stacked like I have. A 4x4 is as easy as buying 4.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,076
    edited April 2020
    tratliff wrote: »
    aprazer402 wrote: »

I am not sure how you can get more stable than the singles stacked like I have. A 4x4 is as easy as buying 4.

Thanks. I meant to say I would possibly buy two 4X4 units or two 5X5 units, to accommodate all I have. Just wondering if the smaller 4X4 unit was more stable if full of albums vs. the 5X5. I do like your stacked piece configuration as that is a possibility for a small listening room I have.
    Post edited by aprazer402 on
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    My first was a 4x4 Expedit that I put corner braces in each shelf and a backing board on. Extremely solid. It now holds toys :D

Now I have a pair of 2x4’s Kallax for the records that work great.

Overall, really great solution.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    New and old technology, working together. Very cool.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    steveinaz wrote: »
    New and old technology, working together. Very cool.

Kind of like an 80 year old man marrying a 24 year old...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    2 channel setup in your bedroom is a game changer.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,854
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    I’ve already licked them...they’re mine now!

The cats or the boxes?
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Ordered an Elekit TU-8600 kit. I've never even heard a 300b amp, so I'm excited to try one out. Won't arrive until June or July though.

Anyone have experience with this one?
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • Wardsweb
    Wardsweb Posts: 899
    vcwatkins wrote: »
    Ordered an Elekit TU-8600 kit. I've never even heard a 300b amp, so I'm excited to try one out. Won't arrive until June or July though.

Anyone have experience with this one?

Have you assembled a pc board based kit before?
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Yep, not worried so much about building, but wondering if anyone has heard one (I don't think the initial run was very large).
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,639
    Willow wrote: »
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    I’ve already licked them...they’re mine now!

The cats or the boxes?

Your guess is as good as mine!
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    butterbean wrote: »
    That’s a pretty nice garage brother! Love the diamond plate!

Thanks brother! It's a mess right now. Glad the weather is getting better. Gotta clean it up, and move the rig over to an adjacent wall.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mhardy6647
    If it's not one thing, it's another.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,972
    verb wrote: »
    m4qh5l7vlbu0.png
    Good lawd, Dave, I bet you have to be careful getting those red Craftman tool chests down! Assuming they actually have tools in them :p
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon