What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Comments

• audioluvraudioluvr Posts: 2,688
    s9jv8qe4ivbh.jpeg
    Just picked this up from CL for $130 and swapped out my integra 5060 and I’m blown away. The b&k is close to 1/3 the power of the Onkyo but is way better sound to me.

Duh. Someone here once said "watts isn't everything". Let the battle begin!
    Cambridge Audio 851N Streamer/DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
  • gp4jesusgp4jesus Posts: 1,535
    edited April 14
    @daddyjt: please grab one or more wide angle shots of the frame before placing shelves.

I think you built something very similar to what I have but you got to decide* the distance between the shelves*. That said I’d like to copy and mod (slightly) 😊
    *instead of the manufacturer

Tony
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED
    Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro
    Samsung BDP, Dish Rcvr, Xbox, Phillips CD chgr

Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; CC outside
    BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out
    8 ga Powerline - LR woofers, inside* & out
    *soldered

LR: tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; M&T - 981
    CC: Rotel RB985 -> tri-amped CSi A6
    5 Audio Pro Subs: 1 B1.39: an Evidence at each corner
    Surrounds: Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3
    Power Conditioning & Distribution:
    3 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 4 Furman Miniport 20s
  • gp4jesusgp4jesus Posts: 1,535
    edited April 14
    It’s an AV1260 and it’s paired with a ref 31 pre.
    what’s a ref 31 pre?

Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED
    Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro
    Samsung BDP, Dish Rcvr, Xbox, Phillips CD chgr

Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; CC outside
    BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out
    8 ga Powerline - LR woofers, inside* & out
    *soldered

LR: tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; M&T - 981
    CC: Rotel RB985 -> tri-amped CSi A6
    5 Audio Pro Subs: 1 B1.39: an Evidence at each corner
    Surrounds: Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3
    Power Conditioning & Distribution:
    3 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 4 Furman Miniport 20s
  • NightfallNightfall Posts: 9,273
    gp4jesus wrote: »
    It’s an AV1260 and it’s paired with a ref 31 pre.
    what’s a ref 31 pre?

mkf0kignggeiokxolpbv.jpg
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • BlueBirdMusicBlueBirdMusic Registered User Posts: 1,269
    @daddyjt, I like the looks of your work. Looking forward to your new pictures.

I have always liked the "old" Standesign audio stands with the cascading shelves.
    If the telephone doesn't ring ......... it's me
    Harry / Marietta Georgia
  • The ref 30 had an upgrade option that made it a ref 31. It's upgraded if you see an oval "Upgraded" sticker next to the volume knob and a blue screen instead of the factory green screen. It added several internal upgrades basically making it a ref 50 (see photo).

oga6k1fu6kaz.jpg
  • Tony MTony M Posts: 9,342
    Love the stand and paint you chose!

I agree, nice work.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • daddyjtdaddyjt Posts: 1,494
    gp4jesus wrote: »
    @daddyjt: please grab one or more wide angle shots of the frame before placing shelves.

I think you built something very similar to what I have but you got to decide* the distance between the shelves*. That said I’d like to copy and mod (slightly) 😊
    *instead of the manufacturer

Tony

I certainly will today before I begin setup, and I’ll include dimensions:-)
  • xsmixsmi Posts: 1,536
    just put together my Monolith Audio stand. Tomorrow, I'll tear all of this down and transfer my equipment to the new stand. I'll do some cable management then.
    2-channel
    Belles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box MM, Magnepan LRS, Polk Audio SDA-SRS, AudioQuest Cable throughout. Pro-Ject RPM 5.1 (soon)
    Yesterday I hooked up a micro Mcintosh-Polk set up for the kitchen. I've had the speakers for several years now and I finally found a way to use them.
    7fxqtjdqdswm.jpg

NICE receiver! B)
    I love my M3's and M5's. B)
  • motorstereomotorstereo Posts: 1,510
    Tony M wrote: »
    NICE receiver! B)
    I love my M3's and M5's. B) [/quote]

Thanks; Yes I like the sound of the M2's the only problem is their odd shape and those confounded mounting brackets. Being that I had the time I fashioned up some kickstands in the back to keep them upright. So far so good and they're not wobbly at all.
  • steveinazsteveinaz Posts: 19,480
    Did some work on the shop rig. Got rid of the $20 Monoprice DAC and bought a 20ft toslink cable to go from the TV to Yamaha receiver's DAC. Much cleaner install, and I'm sure the Yammie DAC will be better. It certainly has more GAIN. I didn't realize the Yamaha had an on-board DAC until the other day. (HTR 5540). Time for some Amazon HD music!
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amplifier: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: PSB Imagine T2 - Cables: Kimber Hero XLR; Kimber 8VS Bi-Wire; DH Labs D-75 dig coaxial
  • xsmixsmi Posts: 1,536
    Put my AudioQuest Speaker cables in the system, immediately more clarity. I'll let them burn in a little longer.
    2-channel
    Belles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box MM, Magnepan LRS, Polk Audio SDA-SRS, AudioQuest Cable throughout. Pro-Ject RPM 5.1 (soon)
    Tony M wrote: »
    Still re-arranging and liking what I'm doing. Still have a long way to go though.
    0e976r2x6dqe.png

Give me a dumpster and 8-12 hours and I can make that place look and sound STELLAR!
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
  • BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 13,773
    LOL. +1
    Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin X1 file player
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on preamp, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
    Tony knows I'm just F**king with him. He's making great progress.
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 22,899
    Are the Maggies for sale? :p
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Krell Evolution 505 SACD Player, Pioneer Elite SC-LX701, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds.

I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.” .

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
    Are the Maggies for sale? :p

One of my life's regret was selling them. Needed money so to speak at that time.

I think they were 2.8R's.

The fellow actually called me back a few years later and asked if I wanted to buy them back. He said for less than he paid of course. I wanted to soooo bad but I think I had just bought the Triton Ones and didn't have any spare hundreds lying around anymore.

I LOVED those things! True ribbon tweeters. B)
    They almost didn't need a sub for most music.
  • tratlifftratliff Posts: 1,076
    edited April 17
    butterbean wrote: »
    4lbwdnb3j88a.jpeg
    I got my Marantz CD 6006 today! My initial impressions are wow! What a difference! Been listening to various CDs today started out with dire straits. I had a really good soundstage with my SDA 1-b’s, but it made it even wider it really brings out the individual instruments really well. Really adds a lot of depth to the music. And then switch to a remastered copy of Jeff Beck‘s blow by blow. Jeez that was even better! It really brings out a lot of hidden percussion, sounds you name it! The drums on that CD are incredible they really came to life with the Marantz. I listen to Apple Music on my phone and it leaves a lot to be desired if you know what I mean. The Marantz has a USB plug on the front of the unit I hooked my phone up to that and played some fav tracks. It added so much warmth and depth I was really surprised! Still some of the recordings leave a lot to be desired but they still had improved clarity and soundstage. Right now I’m listening to an old CD Elton John’s yellow brick road it’s not remastered or anything but it really brings it to life! This is a great player For Anyone that just listens to CDs I’m very happy! It’s gonna be a great weekend!

The Marantz players are very nice. Congrats.
    2 Channel
    Legacy Focus SE, 2 REL Carbon Limited, McIntosh C50, McIntosh MC601's, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Parasound Halo JC3, Denon DP-59l w/Ortofon 2m Bronze, Marantz SA-14s1, Oppo BDP-105, Technics RS-1500, Furman Elite 15PFi, Douglas Connection (Furutech) Alpha Interconnects, Douglas Connection (Furutech) Alpha Speaker Cables, Pangea Power Cables
  • dromundsdromunds Posts: 8,938
    Tony, I used to have that exact couch in your photo above only black but had to sell it when I moved from Madison. Loved that couch. Bought it new during a past recession at an unbelievable price.
    It is very comfortable indeed. :p It sits a little low but I can lay on it and fall asleep easily. <3

I traded a new in the box Sony DVD & VHS player for it. The player could record VHS to DVD. It was a "safe driver gift" from one of those little fliers you can pick from. It's value at the time was 180.00 at Best Buy.

So...I really got my couch for free. :D One of the best trades I've ever made! ;)
  • machonemachone Posts: 1,274
    daddyjt wrote: »
    Today I put the finishing touches on my rack for my HT. I could not find what I really wanted, and I figured even if I did, I’d never be able to afford it.

I wanted a minimalist cantilevered type design, that gave the appearance of floating shelves. I designed the supports out of some 3/4” oak plywood scrap I had left over from a previous project:

mkgfsq1tzlqp.jpeg

9em09qq2dx6e.jpeg

xbdth1py6s55.jpeg

4duqnpskviak.jpeg

lg861tjoedaa.jpeg

Then came the shelves - three total, 17”x60”. They are 3/4 MDF, painted black, then cover with glitter-infused Stone Coat epoxy, for a “galaxy” look:

8hx4ve96noff.jpeg

zz6dt636prhg.jpeg

92b08iky3r1b.jpeg

caa1i4pgs97g.jpeg

qhsmi46302kf.jpeg

The whitish lines in the shelves are actually the reflection of the Sheetrock tape joints in my garage ceiling, lol:

it8ku01nx8r9.jpeg

I plan to move it into position tomorrow and load it up - more pictures to follow...

Wow!
    Very nice frame work and the finish on the mdf is great!. How did you get it so smooth?
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"