Looking forward to L800 but have concerns, what are your thoughts?

Comments

• marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    mpitogo wrote: »
    I have never been impressed with the McIntosh setups I have heard either, except when paired with the bigger Magnepans…

Hi John,

My first exposure to McIntosh was in the 80's at an uncle's house where he had a Mac stack with Ohm Walsh Fs, he was playing Madonna. I was so impress with the sound. At the time I was only a kid and our main home system was a Fisher. Since then I've been looking at ways to improve the sound of the music I am into. Later on I used to hang around the public library reading stereo magazines and on the front cover of one which struck me was Matthew Polk in a lab coat with an SDA speaker. The rest is history and a lifetime of Polk speakers and a McIntosh combo.

so you're saying that if Amar Bose had been on that cover you would now have Bose speakers :D
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • mpitogo
    mpitogo Posts: 475
    Maybe...glad it was Polk.
    • Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Air USB to DAC
    • Media Room Ht-7.2.6/13.1 (Atmos/Auro-3D) Polk LSiM707, LSiM706c, LSiM702 F/X [x4], height LSiM703 [x6], HSU VTF-15H MK2 Dual | Marantz AV8805A | Rotel RB-1590 (L/R) | Appollon NC500 11ch | Sony UBP-X800 | AppleTV 4K | JVC RS2100
    • Game Room-5.1 Polk LSi25, LSiC, LSiF/X | Marantz SR7009 | AppleTV 4K | Xbox One S | Sony PS2, PS3 | Nintendo Wii | Gaming PC | Sony 75" LCD
    • Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10 | SONY PS-HX500
    • Office-2.0 Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX, DSW microPRO3000 | Rotel RA-1570 | Marantz HD-CD1
    • Daughter's Bedroom 1-2.0 TBD Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 2-2.0 Klipsch RP-600M | Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 3-3.0 Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Apple TV | Samsung 55" TV
    • Guest Room 4-2.0 QAcoustics 3030i | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080 | TV
    • Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine
  • ptrooper
    ptrooper Posts: 501
    Thanks Mike,They sure fill the whole room very nicely and the miss's absolutely loves them =Me winning sneaking them into place.
    I can stand directly to the side of them and still here the opposite speaker!
    ptrooper wrote: »
    50 hours in. Starting to relax in place. They definitely need something to stop the forward and back rocking. These rubber spike protectors are to soft 5sdntumibqn1.jpeg
    cc1297dyr5r1.jpeg

For the size of those babies, I think they look great in your space!

• ptrooper
    GAIA 2’s. Does any one know the thread size needed on the L800.looks like M10 ,Isoacoustic should supply these.
  • marvda1
    I would call isoacoustics as being that close to the weight limit of the gaia 2, they might suggest the gaia 1
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    edited March 2020
    pull yours off and use a thread gauge to be sure. I'm thinking they would be something like 1/4" x 20 tpi
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Polk typically used 1/4-20 threads, but I think some of the newer stuff is 6mm.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ptrooper
    edited March 2020
    With the L900 height modules, they are definitely over GIAI 2's weight limit. cheers, point noted.
    marvda1 wrote: »
    I would call isoacoustics as being that close to the weight limit of the gaia 2, they might suggest the gaia 1

• marvda1
    I cried when I bought the gaia 2, don't know if would have needed the gia 1's. :'(
    Puritan PSM156
  • ptrooper
    edited March 2020
    Isocoustic responded with" GAIA 2's are fine but the GAIA 1's have a slight edge on performance".They also informed me the performance curve to the weight limit, curves back as weight increases over the recommended weight and doesn't drop of like a cliff!
    I cried when I bought the gaia 2, don't know if would have needed the gia 1's. :'(

• marvda1
    you should have asked then why not a slight edge in price :D
    Puritan PSM156
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    ^^^Very nice looking room^^^ I'm sure you certainly enjoy your time in the sweet spot.

Well done!
  • mpitogo
    edited March 2020
    • Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Air USB to DAC
    • Media Room Ht-7.2.6/13.1 (Atmos/Auro-3D) Polk LSiM707, LSiM706c, LSiM702 F/X [x4], height LSiM703 [x6], HSU VTF-15H MK2 Dual | Marantz AV8805A | Rotel RB-1590 (L/R) | Appollon NC500 11ch | Sony UBP-X800 | AppleTV 4K | JVC RS2100
    • Game Room-5.1 Polk LSi25, LSiC, LSiF/X | Marantz SR7009 | AppleTV 4K | Xbox One S | Sony PS2, PS3 | Nintendo Wii | Gaming PC | Sony 75" LCD
    • Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10 | SONY PS-HX500
    • Office-2.0 Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX, DSW microPRO3000 | Rotel RA-1570 | Marantz HD-CD1
    • Guest Room 3-3.0 Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Apple TV | Samsung 55" TV
    • Guest Room 4-2.0 QAcoustics 3030i | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080 | TV
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    edited March 2020
    mpitogo wrote: »

Good explanation...he uses the BHK-250 to demonstrate, which is the amp I have to power my 1.2tl's, along w/dreadnaught.

As an aside...I took a screenshot from Paul's video and pixel peeped at the writing on their production milestones Post-it notes. I spy with my little eye "BHK M-500 Product Spec". I believe "M" is the nomenclature for an upcoming integrated line and the "500" represents power output. BHK is their top of the line amp/pre series designed by the legendary Bascom H. King.
    za9djyqz6y9m.jpg

Back on topic...I've been listening to the L200 as part of the club demo. Currently on an HCA-1500A and, so far, I really like the L200s. Since the Legend series uses all the same drivers, and has the reported same sound signature throughout the line, it really has me jonesing to hear the L800. Apologize if I've missed it but @mpitogo, do you have any experience w/the 1.2's for comparison?
    Post edited by JayCee on
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • mpitogo
    @JayCee Sorry no.
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    edited April 2020
    Not sure why multiple posts just showed up from weeks ago, deleting duplicates.
    Post edited by displayname on
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • displayname
    edited April 2020
    Not sure why multiple posts just showed up from weeks ago, deleting duplicates.
    Post edited by displayname on
    Discogs
  • displayname
    i was just about to post this. this review puts them in a new light.
    this might explain some of what we heard at the October bash.

Sounds like I was right on with my questioning how they were set up and what gear was involved. Sounds like these are the modern equivalent of the Infinity RS as far as being a difficult load.

I don’t think the gear involved was an issue given that the L800s were being fed by a Cambridge Edge A integrated amp, 851n streaming Tidal and connected with appropriate cables throughout. I never once felt that power was an issue with anything we heard. On the contrary, I said the power and fun factor was one of the best traits of the L800s. And the room may not have been ideal for the SDAs, but the onsite Polk rep did say they were performing correctly.

I think the review highlighted some really important elements of the L800:
    “One of the more inconsistent loudspeakers I have ever encountered”
    “A big hulking speaker that is actually very difficult to live with.”
    “Here we have the L800 kind of acting like a prima-donna… that requires you on some level to conform to its needs”
    “You have to kind of tailor your taste to what’s going make them work and perform at their best”
    “You’ll sit there, and you’ll wonder where all the imaging went… The soundstage will completely collapse, and you’ll just be scratching your head.”
    “I don’t know who this loudspeaker is going to appeal to because it is so big, it is so cumbersome, and frankly it is difficult to live with.”

To be clear, I’m not saying Andrew Robinson is the ultimate authority on audio. But those quotes above align with my experience. If I have the opportunity to hear the L800s again, I would gladly take it. I’d love to hear the differences in a symmetrical room. They had strong moments and I’d love to hear them at their finest. But based on my experience, I wouldn’t be pulling my wallet out for them and I would be very shocked if a different room or different gear swayed me to feel differently.

That’s obviously just my opinion, formed from a somewhat limited exposure to the L800s. But I think this review will resonate with a lot of people who have heard these speakers, and I think it brings up valid points of consideration for ownership.

Discogs
  • ptrooper
    Well ,I hope they work well with a recapped sunfire sig series 625x 2 or a theatre gand signiture 5x 405 as i'll have a set in black in around 7 days .
    There will be an oppo 105D bluray /pre amp with the Joe Rasmussen 4.2 ABC signiture upgrades, this has no capacitors inline via the output stage, cabling via transparent reference xl balanced cables to a Sunfire Signiture ,from there with transparent reference biwire speaker cables to the L800's
    The room will be 18ft x 15ft....L800's will be 4 ft apart with reinforced side walls which are also only 4 ft away, the rear brick wall is a 9 ft wide partition at the same height as the L800's , i'll be trying to keep them around 5 inch's or under infront of this wall,behind this partition is another 18 ft x 15 ft room being a dining/kitchen so a good possibility a few hard surfaces might need treating .It'l be better explained with pics l8er.
    Time will tell
    The Vr3 Abbot CRS + 4.1's will now be doing rear duties in the theatre room.
    Exciting stuff .
    Hope the australian english can be followed.
    cheers Sean
    Well ,I hope they work well with a recapped sunfire sig series 625x 2 or a theatre gand signiture 5x 405 as i'll have a set in black in around 7 days .
    There will be an oppo 105D bluray /pre amp with the Joe Rasmussen 4.2 ABC signiture upgrades, this has no capacitors inline via the output stage, cabling via transparent reference xl balanced cables to a Sunfire Signiture ,from there with transparent reference biwire speaker cables to the L800's
    The room will be 18ft x 15ft....L800's will be 4 ft apart with reinforced side walls which are also only 4 ft away, the rear brick wall is a 9 ft wide partition at the same height as the L800's , i'll be trying to keep them around 5 inch's or under infront of this wall,behind this partition is another 18 ft x 15 ft room being a dining/kitchen so a good possibility a few hard surfaces might need treating .It'l be better explained with pics l8er.
    Time will tell
    Exciting stuff .
    cheers Sean

04k5vkc3okzl.jpeg
    00qtdrsty97t.jpeg
    g8vr0wv26ba9.jpeg
    Time will tell
    Exciting stuff .
    cheers Sean
    Time will tell
    Exciting stuff .
    cheers Sean

• JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    edited April 2020
    @ptrooper, assumed after your recent surgery, any chance you'd do a head-to-head using your SRS's with same space, gear, songs, for a critical comparison? You seem to be the only one on CP with this unique ability. Not to say the CRS's won't work to a lesser degree, but it would be interesting to compare/contrast on a known reference point...AND...a big AND, you have the advantage of truly knowing SDA vs, IMHO, the pro reviewers that hit and run with respect to SDA. IMO, a very apples to apples comparison considering the L800 is the new "Legend" on the block and claimed to advance the technology.

Don't worry about the "Australian English" with your review. You tolerate our American English quite well. :smiley:

Please, pretty please.🙏

Edit to add...I'll spearhead a CP go fund campaign to send you a sixer of Cooper's Original Pale Ale! And you thought we American's only know Foster's.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • ptrooper
    edited April 2020
    My SDA SRS' live in a theatre / sound room that is a giant sponge with very few if any high frequency reflections which would only come from room ornaments , the cables are mm2's from transparent so connectivity is definitely not the weakest link,They also have VR3 Abbot builds throughout so a comparison wouldn't be fare at this time.
    When my SDA SRS were stock, they certainly couldn't sound this good in the space the L800's are in now B) Its a bright room, the L800's have done 240 hrs + and are really just starting relaxing.
    Acoustic GAIA1's are on their way, they have transparent reference mm2 biwire speaker cables and balanced transparent reference xl interconnects from a oppo Joe Rasmussen 105d 4.2 pre/bluray/.

When the L800's have the Abbot build i would seriously compare them!
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    There is no replacement for displacement....
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    i was just about to post this. this review puts them in a new light.
    this might explain some of what we heard at the October bash.

Sounds like I was right on with my questioning how they were set up and what gear was involved. Sounds like these are the modern equivalent of the Infinity RS as far as being a difficult load.

I don’t think the gear involved was an issue given that the L800s were being fed by a Cambridge Edge A integrated amp, 851n streaming Tidal and connected with appropriate cables throughout. I never once felt that power was an issue with anything we heard. On the contrary, I said the power and fun factor was one of the best traits of the L800s. And the room may not have been ideal for the SDAs, but the onsite Polk rep did say they were performing correctly.

I think the review highlighted some really important elements of the L800:
    “One of the more inconsistent loudspeakers I have ever encountered”
    “A big hulking speaker that is actually very difficult to live with.”
    “Here we have the L800 kind of acting like a prima-donna… that requires you on some level to conform to its needs”
    “You have to kind of tailor your taste to what’s going make them work and perform at their best”
    “You’ll sit there, and you’ll wonder where all the imaging went… The soundstage will completely collapse, and you’ll just be scratching your head.”
    “I don’t know who this loudspeaker is going to appeal to because it is so big, it is so cumbersome, and frankly it is difficult to live with.”

To be clear, I’m not saying Andrew Robinson is the ultimate authority on audio. But those quotes above align with my experience. If I have the opportunity to hear the L800s again, I would gladly take it. I’d love to hear the differences in a symmetrical room. They had strong moments and I’d love to hear them at their finest. But based on my experience, I wouldn’t be pulling my wallet out for them and I would be very shocked if a different room or different gear swayed me to feel differently.

That’s obviously just my opinion, formed from a somewhat limited exposure to the L800s. But I think this review will resonate with a lot of people who have heard these speakers, and I think it brings up valid points of consideration for ownership.

I said something about that guy early. I think he's only experienced with consumer grade home theater speakers because the L800 is not that big and anyone experienced with 2 channel speakers knows that placement is critical if you want the best out of them. It's not unusual for a half inch one way or the other to make magic happen. As for the rest of his comments it seems obvious to me he has no idea what SDA can and cannot do.

Pretty sure I found out something about that Cambridge integrated not being all that if you want to look for it. IMO, it's unfortunate he was given the chance to review them.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited April 2020
    F1nut wrote: »
    Pretty sure I found out something about that Cambridge integrated not being all that if you want to look for it. IMO, it's unfortunate he was given the chance to review them.

We did find something...It was not compatible with the ohm swings the L800 presents and although it has some power, it was sorely lacking in CURRENT, and the L800 needs both to be available in order to get the most out of them. Combine that with poor room placement and these speakers will be all over the map. The Cambridge is a great piece, but not a great fit in this case. Synergy...
    Post edited by nooshinjohn on
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    Not sure what happened, but my comment, "IMO, it's unfortunate he was given the chance to review them." was in reference to the review guy.

President of Club Polk