Looking forward to L800 but have concerns, what are your thoughts?

Comments

• warren
    warren Posts: 756
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Ambiguous pricing. Makes it look like $12K for a pair.

This is the post that squelched my buying the L800...
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,341
    Interesting microphone placement for that review. Not sure it fully captures the listener's experience at the ears, but an excellent review using good tracks.
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,124
    Emlyn wrote: »
    ...using good tracks.
    I was thinking I should go back and pull the tracks to make another playlist. Music suggestions are the part of YouTube reviews.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • Emlyn
    I still keep track of the really old "SDA playlist" for other speakers, but the tracks he's using there are real audiophile testers. Excellent, and I'll be doing the same.
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,124
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    edited October 2020
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,666
    They are using a drawing showing the vintage SDA binding post plates with positive in the left, which contradicts the drawing of the L800 plates.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    Not only that, they are original SDA, and don't even have the bi-amp configuration.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • .... "more fun than a barrel of monkeys" ....

Some great tracks on the video, and I really enjoyed the review.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,470
    ok, who wanted to flick Ron in the ear? :#
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Just got this email...

1i7cq06dohh5.png
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • simm
    simm Posts: 562
    LEGEND L800
    POLK LEGEND SERIES PREMIUM FLOORSTANDING TOWER SPEAKER WITH PATENTED SDA-PRO TECHNOLOGY
    Good for Benefits
    Crisp & clear dialogue with VoiceAdjust®
    Make virtually any TV sound incredible
    Hi-Res music streaming with Chromecast
    3 years warranty

When did the warranty drop to 3 years for these? I thought initially it was 5 years and then another 5 years for registering them..
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420
    edited January 2021
    what in tarnation is voice adjust®? Hi-Res music streaming with Chromecast ? again what is this? just where do you plug this into on the speakers?
    Post edited by pitdogg2 on
  • pitdogg2
    Well that makes me feel warm and cuddly
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    I'm just feelin' left out 'cause I didn't get the email!?
    I used to get 'em -- wonder why I didn't get this one...

:|

• pitdogg2
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I'm just feelin' left out 'cause I didn't get the email!?
    I used to get 'em -- wonder why I didn't get this one...

:|

They know dang sure you are not marketable....😀
  • Emlyn
    simm wrote: »
    LEGEND L800
    POLK LEGEND SERIES PREMIUM FLOORSTANDING TOWER SPEAKER WITH PATENTED SDA-PRO TECHNOLOGY
    Good for Benefits
    Crisp & clear dialogue with VoiceAdjust®
    Make virtually any TV sound incredible
    Hi-Res music streaming with Chromecast
    3 years warranty

When did the warranty drop to 3 years for these? I thought initially it was 5 years and then another 5 years for registering them..

Another web site glitch. The description there is for a soundbar. Warranty is still 5 years or 10 with registration on passive speakers.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,637
    And 0% financing for a whole 3 months. Sign me up....
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,666
    I noticed they are listing their location as Carlsbad instead of Vista.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• warren
    warren wrote: »
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Ambiguous pricing. Makes it look like $12K for a pair.

This is the post that squelched my buying the L800...
    Polk is now offering no interest when you buy the L series !
    Some final words,
    Warren
  • warren
    VR3 wrote: »
    Polk marketing has no clue what they are selling
    I remember when your mom drove you to the Polk meetings, you remodeled your home, went into business.. I’d call you astute . Now Polk is trying with this sales campaign, I hope they succeed as you did ..

Some final words,
    Warren
  • Emlyn
    edited April 2021
    Rick88 wrote: »
    Audioholics posted a review of the L800 a few days ago.

https://www.audioholics.com/tower-speaker-reviews/polk-legend-l800

Good review that acknowledges he didn't have the ideal room for the speakers at only 11 feet wide. Most people would not want to live with huge sound absorbing panels on either side of their speakers. Realistically, the L800s are going to need a front wall that's at least 15 feet wide without obstructions and preferably more when sitting around 8 to 10 feet away from the center point between the speakers. I had a pair of the big original SDA-SRS in a 10 x 10 foot room once and they still sounded good when pushed close to the side walls but they sounded way better in a bigger room.

The L600s would be a better choice for a narrow room.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,408
    edited April 2021
    Emlyn wrote: »
    Good review that acknowledges he didn't have the ideal room for the speakers at only 11 feet wide.

True but at least he made the effort to set up the speakers and room treatments necessary to hear the SDA magic. I can't stand it when a component is reviewed in an inadequate situation.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    mpitogo wrote: »
    So after living with my L800's since Nov 2019, I can say hands down the best speakers I have ever owned and so much fun! I made changes to the room orientation I used to have it on the wide wall of a 15'x25' room, I changed speaker placement, its now on the shorter 15' section of the wall and its even more amazing. I have in room response measurements from the main listening position and typical forward left/righ and rearward left/right from both original wide wall location and short wall location. The bass extension is now much deeper and flatter extending down to a reasonable 24hz and I can attest to feeling it in my back, even at low volumes.

I have a pretty decent set of cans but man the same source material on the L800 is just sublime. I started listening to the 2021 re-release of Radiohead KID A MNESIA, wow!!

Anyway, I am actually moving to a new house and hope to try to recreate that magic. It's a real PITA but thankfully I kept all the boxes for nearly everything except stuff like LSi25, DSW microPRO3000 era and older.

I would imagine the L800's are singing the praises of the accompanying gear you have ahead of them...WELL DONE