Looking forward to L800 but have concerns, what are your thoughts?

1171819202123»

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    My room is 19’6” on the long wall, 15 feet on the short wall with 4 feet behind me.... should be a great fit.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,905
    Congrats and welcome to Texas!
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • mpitogo
    mpitogo Posts: 475
    Can't wait to blast it, will need to figure out acoustics. I had acoustic treatments in my old house which was a 15x25 room but only low traditional 7' Northeast ceilings.
    • Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Air USB to DAC
    • Media Room Ht-7.2.6/13.1 (Atmos/Auro-3D) Polk LSiM707, LSiM706c, LSiM702 F/X [x4], height LSiM703 [x6], HSU VTF-15H MK2 Dual | Marantz AV8805A | Rotel RB-1590 (L/R) | Appollon NC500 11ch | Sony UBP-X800 | AppleTV 4K | JVC RS2100
    • Game Room-5.1 Polk LSi25, LSiC, LSiF/X | Marantz SR7009 | AppleTV 4K | Xbox One S | Sony PS2, PS3 | Nintendo Wii | Gaming PC | Sony 75" LCD
    • Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10 | SONY PS-HX500
    • Office-2.0 Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX, DSW microPRO3000 | Rotel RA-1570 | Marantz HD-CD1
    • Daughter's Bedroom 1-2.0 TBD Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 2-2.0 Klipsch RP-600M | Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 3-3.0 Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Apple TV | Samsung 55" TV
    • Guest Room 4-2.0 QAcoustics 3030i | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080 | TV
    • Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,172
    Clearly grande utopia evos are the appropriate sized speaker for that space ;)
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,172
    Hi I bet those things are gonna sound great. Jealous of that MAC gear too
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    I do not envy your task of creating a decent soundstage in that environment. BEAUTIFUL house however...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,937
    Agree grande utopia evo
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,408
    I do not envy your task of creating a decent soundstage in that environment. BEAUTIFUL house however...

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe set up in front of the picture windows. Move the piano over to where the Mac's are and maybe not use one L800 and one L600...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,341
    I was thinking the space was rectangular. That space is going to be tough to get SDA to work optimally in. Shifting the speakers over to the left some and having them closer together may help. Of course the only person who can tell for sure where they work best in the house is the owner.

:)
  • Emlyn
    Looking good! Mine are in a similar spacing configuration between speakers and to the sweet spot.
  • PolkFam
    PolkFam Posts: 6
    edited December 2022
    Hey guys. I have been interested in the L800 for quite some time now. I have a few questions in hopes some of you can bless me with your experience/knowledge with these big boys. 1st, would the L800's sound good in a 12X12 sized room? We currently have a Pioneer Elite LX904 running a 5.4.2 set up with the Signature Series. I know I know....Small space yes....however the SDA tech is absolutely intriguing to me as I love to enjoy 2 channel music when winding down at the end of the day, and the room in question, is all we have at this point for our dedicated media space. Our listening habits are 50/50 for music and movies. Any advice/opinions would greatly appreciated. Also, even though the space is small, I would LOVE to have an external amp to ease up the load on the AVR. We don't play anything at a super loud level by any means, however, on some nights, after a few glasses of wine, the wife and I do get the urge to to crank the music up a bit. (Gotta love the W.A.F) :) I've read so many forums on what amps play nice with the L800's, also read a bunch on what amps do not. Parasound has been mentioned more than any other brands that work well and sound great with the L800's. Any thoughts on what amp would pair wonderfully with the L800's? (Emotiva, Anthem, Parasound ect.) Thank you kindly in advance for any advise on this.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,960
    You realize a bunch of the Reserve and Legend series are 40-50% off sale prices to forum members until Monday? Jus saying.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,960
    Look at Clubhouse thread
  • Emlyn
    I'd look at a Parasound A21+ for good amplification to match up with the L800s. The L800s deserve a high current capable amp because of their driver configuration and relatively low efficiency rating. They really do need a larger space to play in too. A 14 foot or longer front wall is ideal if the speakers would be 6 feet apart. They can be forced to work in a 12 foot space with sound absorbing panels on the side walls.
  • @Emlyn Thank you for the suggestion with the A21+. I will definitely look into that. Also, the L's would sit appox 8 1/2 feet apart. Not sure that would leave ideal spacing between the speakers and the side walls, however, I do have some sound treatment on the side walls. I would also have them sitting about 2 feet or so from the from the front wall.
  • @dromunds Is there a particular link to I have go to for that 40-50% off sale? I didn't see anything when I looked on the website.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,937
    PolkFam wrote: »
    @dromunds Is there a particular link to I have go to for that 40-50% off sale? I didn't see anything when I looked on the website.

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/197660/50-year-anniversary-sale-up-to-50-off-only-for-polk-forum-members#latest
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    Emlyn wrote: »
    I'd look at a Parasound A21+ for good amplification to match up with the L800s. The L800s deserve a high current capable amp because of their driver configuration and relatively low efficiency rating. They really do need a larger space to play in too. A 14 foot or longer front wall is ideal if the speakers would be 6 feet apart. They can be forced to work in a 12 foot space with sound absorbing panels on the side walls.

Solid advice. And will add I'm a Parasound fan. Currently own 2 vintage HCA-1500A's that I had recapped. I recently gifted my son a pair of vintage SDA's (3.1tl) and, as we've worked through his upcoming setup, wholeheartedly recommended Parasound's current offerings. Emlyn is spot on w/his 800 pairing and room considerations. Good luck.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • polkguy1994
    polkguy1994 Posts: 54
    edited February 2023
    Question:
    Why are these black ash priced substantially lower in price then the other sets you are showing on your eBay page?

These are priced at 1999.00 and the other black ash are 2999.00

Response:

As a company, we made a temporary promotion in Polk products.
    regards

eBay:

nexgennetwork
    I am looking for SRT Rears, seeking any information on the SRT history details to learn about this product!jjdas75rryoz.jpegw0n3asrf6chn.jpeg