What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Comments

• xsmixsmi Posts: 1,555
    edited March 20
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    While I'm under corona house arrest I thought this would be a good time to do some comparisons. Having heard a rumor that fully balanced amps don't project the soundstage as far as non-balanced amps my curiosity got the best of me. So far I'm surprised that the little non balanced Proton d1200 is making a good accounting of itself. More listening is needed.
    kvc64ndres4f.jpg

I do not think that was intended for the older SDA's, it was for the L800's only as far as the SDA side.

but let us know your findings.

Now, I'm ALL confused. Can vintage SDA's like my SRS's use a dual mono amp that is all in one chasis with a single power cable, as long as we don't use the balanced inputs?

Nevermind, I found the answer.
    2-channel
    Belles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box MM, Magnepan LRS, Polk Audio SDA-SRS, AudioQuest Cable throughout. Pro-Ject RPM 5.1 (soon)
  • 55SLA7055SLA70 Posts: 22
    55SLA70 wrote: »
    I've been thinking about trying a Mullard 5AR4. Some other Decware preamp owners use them with good results. I have to remember to look for one when I go on one of my tube buying binges.

I have one these, a Mullard made G.E. in my Preamp, excellent choice.

Mike,

Between you and Tom I kind of getting a little interested in this tube. I checked a few 5AR4/GZ34 Mullards on the internet and although they look like they can be a little pricey, I did see a few reasonably priced. Hopefully some careful shopping will nab me a good deal. First, I think I'll hit my brother up, maybe he's got one in his stash. I'll see him in a week or so. If he doesn't have any, the search will have to commence.
    Old Name: 55LS70
    Preamp: Decware CSP3 w/ 1 x Amperex 7308, 2 x OCK Rockets 6N1P's
    Power Amp: Cary SLA Signature 2 X Mullard GZ32's, 2 X RCA 5691's, 4 X Tung Sol 6550 reissues
    Analog: Rega Planar 3 w/ P2000 motor, Deep Groove sub platter, Incognito tonearm wiring, JA Michell counterweight, Tangospinner feet, Dynavector 10 x 5 cartridge, Parks Audio Budgie Hybrid phono stage w/ 2 x BEL 6922's.
    Radio: HH Scott 330D tuner with HH Scott Type 335 multiplex. Both modified by Mapleshade.
    Digital: Cambridge Audio 640C V2 CD player with Cambridge Audio DACMagic DAC.
    Speaker Cables: Kimber Kable 8TC's
    Interconnects. Tuner: Audioquest Black Mamba II's, phono stage: Kimber Kable Hero's, PreAmp/Amp and Digital: Audioquest King Cobra"s
  • GlennDogGlennDog Posts: 2,321
    Mike,

Between you and Tom I kind of getting a little interested in this tube. I checked a few 5AR4/GZ34 Mullards on the internet and although they look like they can be a little pricey, I did see a few reasonably priced. Hopefully some careful shopping will nab me a good deal. First, I think I'll hit my brother up, maybe he's got one in his stash. I'll see him in a week or so. If he doesn't have any, the search will have to commence.

Recommended reading . . . btw, Welcome to CP!

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/190184/tube-supplier-and-cross-reference-thread#latest
    Power Rogue M180 monos & Adcom GFA 5802
    PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Rears Salk SuperCharged Surrounds
    Source PSA PWT into NSD Supremo
    Pre/Pro Integra DHC 40.1
    LCD Samsung LN46B750
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Center Salk HT2C
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Wires WW & MIT
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 17,551
    I had a tube buffer that used 6AK5 tubes. I always found the Voskhod 6J1P to be a very sweet tubes. Out of all my USA 6ak5 old tubes only two others bested the Voskhods.

There is some older nice 6DJ8 tubes you should have a good time rolling in some.
  • Tony MTony M Posts: 9,475
    I rearranged some more speakers and stuff.

I took my 1 RTA12b off of the dolly it was on and now it's level with the other one. Sounds better too.

I took one of my Triton Ones off it's dolly too. It sure looks short now! :D I ran out of time before I could take the other Triton off of it's dolly. This weekend I'll probably go out and do it.

I was listening to some sets of speakers from my classic JVC Receiver while moving things and organizing and I heard distortion after about an hour. I was thinking, The "Eagles Farewell Tour" CD doesn't have distortion!!! It must be something beyond the CD. I started to search...

The AR58s speakers sounded good yesterday or the day before, have I blown the newly re-foamed woofers?, blown an old mid or teeter? Well the mid on one seemed to be making the distortion so I checked the rear connections. I re-set the 2 wires and it sounded better. But I still wanted to check the back of the JVC since I was moving a bunch of wires around yesterday or the day before. The speaker wires all looked firmly in place and they were. I tugged on all 12. no problem. None touching each other. BUT...

I noticed the wire from the CD player to the JVC's cd input was TIGHT as $$$$! Somehow moving things around, that interconnect wire hooked around the stereo stands' back corner on the left side. The hook-ups are on the RIGHT side... :o:s.

Well relieving the tension and rechecking that one speakers' wires in its back terminal made the distortion disappear. The interconnect is a nice cheap one but I think it has to be a flawed suspect in the future. >:)

I had a blast. I rocked out and even danced a few moves, which I RARELY do. I can't dance!!
    I even lit an incense to start the evening out there. "China Rain" I think it is. I used to burn incense, turn a little waterfall on and turn the lights off except a orange Japanese Lantern with a 40 watt bulb in it. The Carver amp and SRS2s would be playing relaxation music and I'd drift off to sleep and not feel the pain in my neck for a good bit.

Many years went by doing that routine. Tonight reminded me of all those good days I was lucky enough to have had because of music and mood settings.

I think music might help me again through this virus threat/scare that's hitting some of our members now.

A few days ago, I didn't know anybody that knew anybody that had it. Now we do. SCARY!

One more thing.
    I post funny joking pictures having to do with TP and the 6' spacing on the beach, but it's to bring a smile to our minds UNTIL this virus touches more and more people we know. Then it will be SERIOUS discussions and posts from then on I'm sure.

Again, God be with you and your families John and Dave.

And may God be with the rest of you guys and your families too of course!

o:)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Mike ReeterMike Reeter Posts: 4,008
    GlennDog wrote: »
    Mike,

Recommended reading . . . btw, Welcome to CP!

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/190184/tube-supplier-and-cross-reference-thread#latest

Glenn, thanks for pulling up this Awesome Thread by Tom again. To be honest I had forgotten about this. Excellent list!

SDA SRS 2.3TL's/SDA SRS 3.1TL's/SDA CRS+4.1TL's and some other stuff
  • treitz3treitz3 Posts: 14,617
    Thanks, Mike. I appreciate the kind words.

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

~ The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction ~

~ Not all things that can be measured can be heard and not all things heard can be measured ~

~ When the law ends, tyranny begins ~
  • 55SLA7055SLA70 Posts: 22
    Thanks Glenn and great job on the list Tom. I'll give it a good once over and see what I can come up with.
    Old Name: 55LS70
    Preamp: Decware CSP3 w/ 1 x Amperex 7308, 2 x OCK Rockets 6N1P's
    Power Amp: Cary SLA Signature 2 X Mullard GZ32's, 2 X RCA 5691's, 4 X Tung Sol 6550 reissues
    Analog: Rega Planar 3 w/ P2000 motor, Deep Groove sub platter, Incognito tonearm wiring, JA Michell counterweight, Tangospinner feet, Dynavector 10 x 5 cartridge, Parks Audio Budgie Hybrid phono stage w/ 2 x BEL 6922's.
    Radio: HH Scott 330D tuner with HH Scott Type 335 multiplex. Both modified by Mapleshade.
    Digital: Cambridge Audio 640C V2 CD player with Cambridge Audio DACMagic DAC.
    Speaker Cables: Kimber Kable 8TC's
    Interconnects. Tuner: Audioquest Black Mamba II's, phono stage: Kimber Kable Hero's, PreAmp/Amp and Digital: Audioquest King Cobra"s
  • verbverb Posts: 10,313
    Thank you @Tony M Love ya man! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,Enlightened Audio Designs CD Transport, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, Marantz SA-14 SACD, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Digital Cables, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, Wireworld Oasis 8 RCA IC's, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, PASS ACA Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Antique Sound Labs Wave AV-8 Monoblocks, Tisbury Mini Passive Pre, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
  • ThortonThorton Posts: 1,306
    k036ogi5ccrd.jpg

Picked these up from a guy local to me today. Didn’t have much time to listen to them yet with the wife on continuous conference calls all day. Initial impression, silky smooth and musical top end.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
    edited March 21
    Should be. Those are the Creme' De-la Creme'. Nice score.

Would love to hear about a shoot out between them and 12AX7 Ei Gold Pins.

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

~ The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction ~

~ Not all things that can be measured can be heard and not all things heard can be measured ~

• ThortonThorton Posts: 1,306
    They'll be battling against Amperex 7308's.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • dromundsdromunds Posts: 9,001
    What specific Amperex 7308’s? What year and getter?
  • CH46ECH46E Posts: 2,770
    I wish I had some McIntosh amls to block my doorway! Nice set up Verb.
  • Viking64Viking64 Posts: 5,503
    Those pants just reminded me of why I am so glad I am divorced. B)
  • verbverb Posts: 10,313
    Viking64 wrote: »
    Those pants just reminded me of why I am so glad I am divorced. B)

Oh, I almost forgot. Is this day 6 or 7? :smile: Must be day 7.
    9xd8vymyyb0k.png
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,Enlightened Audio Designs CD Transport, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, Marantz SA-14 SACD, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Digital Cables, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, Wireworld Oasis 8 RCA IC's, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, PASS ACA Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Antique Sound Labs Wave AV-8 Monoblocks, Tisbury Mini Passive Pre, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
  • stevepstevep Posts: 175
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Wait until you retire. Sometimes it takes me a while to remember what day it is, let alone the date. :)

I only know what day of the week it is by which pills I take in the morning.
    I got a 3 speakers OFF of movers' dollies and organized some more.

I played my Triton Ones A LOT tonight. Being planted on the floor and nothing in front of them clearly helped their sound. ;) They are truly AMAZING speakers. B)

I have only been able to imagine how much better a lot of my speakers would sound in the old open space I used to have out there. This year has been the best yet for my energy and scratching things off of my LONG to-do list.

The start;
    tf98qh6rosva.png
    3yqqkis73wdo.png
    xnkix20t14mv.png
    aug1u2bp4ylx.png
    2yspbtziqeh7.png

The before;
    zk1iu420rtgr.png

The after;
    up2shbj5ntbl.png

• TEAforONETEAforONE Posts: 550
    I rearranged my rack again. The April Music DAC runs HOT,just like I read. So,I moved that away from my cdp. Now it has plenty of breathing room.

9fafo8e5kydg.jpeg
    First Watt,Monarchy Audio,Aric Audio,Prometheus Audio,April Music,Bluesound,Pro-Ject,Onkyo,Graham Chartwell,Nola,Hornshoppe,HSU Research.
  • BlueBirdMusicBlueBirdMusic Registered User Posts: 1,316
    Tony M wrote: »

I played my Triton Ones A LOT tonight. Being planted on the floor and nothing in front of them clearly helped their sound. ;) They are truly AMAZING speakers. B)

I have only been able to imagine how much better a lot of my speakers would sound in the old open space I used to have out there. This year has been the best yet for my energy and scratching things off of my LONG to-do list.

The start;
    tf98qh6rosva.png
    3yqqkis73wdo.png
    xnkix20t14mv.png
    aug1u2bp4ylx.png
    2yspbtziqeh7.png

The before;
    zk1iu420rtgr.png

The after;
    up2shbj5ntbl.png

Tony, Are the Triton Ones in those pictures?
    Harry
    If the telephone doesn't ring ......... it's me
    Harry / Marietta Georgia
  • motorstereomotorstereo Posts: 1,521
    Took the top off my Furman pc to have a look inside as the differential outlets are running 4 volts higher than the wall voltage. Also my electrical checker says they have a open neutral. The high current outlets read the same as the wall voltage so I'll be using them instead. I didn't spot anything wrong so I'll check with Furman to see if this is normal. One thing I did notice while it was on my bench was the pc works even when nothing is plugged into it. The emi on the workbench socket dropped from 415 to 78 just by plugging the Furman in.
    48op8ps03dxo.jpg
    Tony M wrote: »

The start;
    tf98qh6rosva.png
    3yqqkis73wdo.png
    xnkix20t14mv.png
    aug1u2bp4ylx.png
    2yspbtziqeh7.png

The before;
    zk1iu420rtgr.png

The after;
    up2shbj5ntbl.png

Harry

Yup.
    Yard sale find a year or two ago. :p

Amazing sounding speakers. ;)
    It's a "Where's Waldo" game he plays with us every once in a while.

Tom

• nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 22,974
    Took the top off my Furman pc to have a look inside as the differential outlets are running 4 volts higher than the wall voltage. Also my electrical checker says they have a open neutral. The high current outlets read the same as the wall voltage so I'll be using them instead. I didn't spot anything wrong so I'll check with Furman to see if this is normal. One thing I did notice while it was on my bench was the pc works even when nothing is plugged into it. The emi on the workbench socket dropped from 415 to 78 just by plugging the Furman in.
    48op8ps03dxo.jpg

Nice looking tranny...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Krell Evolution 505 SACD Player, Pioneer Elite SC-LX701, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds.

I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.” .

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”