What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Comments

• Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Added another one of these Furutech flux 50's. Now I have one on each amp :)
    sg5epin591pa.png

This is new to me, I'm assuming the Filter cleans up your power? Seems like you a have Dedicated Circuit for your setup.

Care to elaborate?

Yes the filter cleans up emi and does a good job of it for a passive device according to my emi alpha meter. They're not cheap (like me :) ) and I had been running just a single on my front end for the past year. Being that I already have a good pc with decent emi reduction for the front end I bit the bullet and bought another so now the amps have cleaner power to. Listening to Bonham's drum solo this morning from LZ's How the West was won I'd have to say it's given extra depth to the recording. I don't remember his drums being quite that far back before. More time and more listening is certainly needed.

Thanks for the insight, always good to know the tweaks that improve existing gear.

• motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    [quote="Mike Reeter
    Thanks for the insight, always good to know the tweaks that improve existing gear.

I was constantly amazed at how much it reduced emi as I would check it quite often. It was always as much and sometimes more reduction than my Furman pc at 1/4 the price. It's also recommended to use them on amps as they normally don't have any filtering.

• I made another pair of Frankenspeakers.
    This time, I mated my walnut 1962 Creative speaker cabs to a pair of 2.5" Bose Wave Radio drivers that I pirated out of a non working unit.
    I traced the old CTS drivers onto some MDF and cut a smaller mounting hole in the center of my plugs for the Bose drivers.
    Some Mortite gaskets and a little black india ink and they looked almost stock.
    They sound great !
    I have to put the sub's x-over up to about 130 Hz to meet them, but it sounds just like the bass is eminating from the speakers.
    This is what I do in the winter while my bike is mothballed.......
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    I listened to mine.

I'm away from home at our condo in Florida for the winter. The "Presidential" system that I brought with me consists of a Franklin Audio IA150 power amp, a Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-09, a pair of Polk RT55i speakers and a Squeezebox Touch playing lossless files from my laptop. I have almost 900 CDs ripped to the laptop. Everything but the speakers will come home with me in the spring.

Sounds like a nice Winter Home Setup, I still have my RT55i's, they are doing duty as the Mains in our modest HT Setup.

btw, we have our eyes set on Florida Winters in a few years when my wife retires. I hope to live long enough :)

Ah, snowbirds! I hope to become one too someday! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    Polkaguy58 wrote: »
    I made another pair of Frankenspeakers.
    This time, I mated my walnut 1962 Creative speaker cabs to a pair of 2.5" Bose Wave Radio drivers that I pirated out of a non working unit.
    I traced the old CTS drivers onto some MDF and cut a smaller mounting hole in the center of my plugs for the Bose drivers.
    They sound great !
    I have to put the sub's x-over up to about 130 Hz to meet them, but it sounds just like the bass is eminating from the speakers.

Pics my brother! Please! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Funny, I curse at all the Florida drivers that travel through my state doing the same exact thing.....10 F'n miles BELOW the posted speed limit.

You honk and they throw up both hands and arms like there isn't a damned thing they can do.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    CH46E wrote: »
    Eyes rolling in my head. We welcome you all to FL BUT PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, STAY THE **** OUT OF THE LEFT LANE! :#:#

Enjoy!

and, of course, mind the iguanas.

https://www.wtxl.com/news/florida-news/chilly-with-a-chance-of-falling-iguanas-national-weather-service-issues-alert

(they've probably thawed out by now...)
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, STAY THE **** OUT OF THE LEFT LANE! :#:#

Nutt’n steams my beans more. Loitering in the passing ln
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Everyone says that about out-of-staters. The most irritating thing is when someone is driving drafting a tractor trailer in the left lane and when you get behind them they tap on their brakes to say " I'm here to piss people off... You're next". Then when you finally pass them on the right they get right on your **** and at whatever speed you're doing for miles but remain in the left lane even when no one else is on the road. Not saying I drive fast, just faster than 99% of the rest of them. Except when I was in Tennessee. Them MF'ers drive like there's hot molten lava approaching from the rear at the speed of sound.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    edited January 2020
    So I listened to my stereo today and discoved that when I went to a 2 amp fuse in in the speakers it was not enough. They call for 2.5 amp. I went through 3 fuses in 15 min. I need to order the correct 2.5 amp fuses. The Hafler on the other hand has been flawless with the 7.5 amp fuses.

But yes, my blood boils when someone sits in the left lane and wont pass.

I did see a person in the left lane while texting at 5 mph under the speed limit and it pissed me off, so I rolled down my window and threw my beer at her.

JK!! I did not have a beer and I did not throw anything.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    I hang out in the left lane. But I’m usually passing everyone.
  • verb
    So I listened to my stereo today and discoved that when I went to a 2 amp fuse in in the speakers it was not enough. They call for 2.5 amp. I went through 3 fuses in 15 min. I need to order the correct 2.5 amp fuses. The Hafler on the other hand has been flawless with the 7.5 amp fuses.

But yes, my blood boils when someone sits in the left lane and wont pass.

I did see a person in the left lane while texting at 5 mph under the speed limit and it pissed me off, so I rolled down my window and threw my beer at her.

JK!! I did not have a beer and I did not throw anything.

Lol! Was gonna hit the "agree" until I read the last of the post! :smile:
  • verb
    So, gotta love the Florida retirees. They certainly deserve to live a happy life in a wonderful climate. A lot of em, IMO, are simply not aware. Gotta have patience with Grandma and Grandpa! I'll eventually make a passing move, look over and see Grandma at the wheel, both hands clenched, eyes forward, and well, just gotta smile.

Now the folks that purposely prevent others from passing, well that is another issue. Insidious as they are, well they deserve what they get! :smile:

In Michigan they recently passed a law requiring the left lane to be used for passing only. Signs are even posted in the rural areas as you travel across the state. Not everybody abides by that.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Try driving around Atlanta on their highways.

I like to drive 5 mph over or even more when the crowd is in a long pack, but the ones I drove with down there thought it was the Atlanta 500 freeway. 80 mph in the SLOW lane is what I found out was normal. :o

It might have changed since back then. Man I was fearing for my life, seriously, and I've driven a million miles. I learned to drive in Northern Va. on 95 and 495 so I learned on the fast tracks but down there... :s

Oh, I turned my stereo on to let a couple guys hear my old Pinnacle Classic Gold Towers. They liked them, but not as much as the RTA12b's though. Almost, but not quite. ;)B)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    verb wrote: »
    So, gotta love the Florida retirees. They certainly deserve to live a happy life in a wonderful climate. A lot of em, IMO, are simply not aware. Gotta have patience with Grandma and Grandpa! I'll eventually make a passing move, look over and see Grandma at the wheel, both hands clenched, eyes forward, and well, just gotta smile.
    Until there is a hurricane and we have thousands and thousands of the ol' geezers all doing the same damned thing. It ain't "cute" then and honestly? There is no excuse. Slower Traffic, Keep Right has been on signs ever since I wasn't old enough to see over the dashboard. That was a half a century ago. All states have “Keep Right Laws”which require vehicles traveling slower than the normal speed of traffic (defined differently in each state) to travel in the furthest right lane.

There is NO excuse in my book. None. GTF over!!! You too Granny!

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,475
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Except when I was in Tennessee. Them MF'ers drive like there's hot molten lava approaching from the rear at the speed of sound.

That state is just chocked full bootleggers...
  • joecoulson
    It’s 80-85 avg here in the ATL around town.
    Sometimes 90 on outer highways. Posted 70 but I’ll do 84 all day with that and never get stopped.
  • Tony M
    edited January 2020
    A cop would have to be stupid to try and pull a car over on those highways I drove on down there. :#

I guess it's still the same. I thought it would be. ;):)
  • CH46E
    edited January 2020
    You guys might have an idea how hard it can be to drive to and from work with my H&K service pistol and get stuck behind some asshat in the left lane pacing a semi. Not only it is it inconsiderate but very unsafe. If that semi has a front left blow out, you are in for a world of hurt. I usually sit back about 20 feet from the semi trailer until I can get 100% past them.

Oh and to stay on track here, I do listen to my car "Stereo rig" both ways, to and from work. I have some killer old school JBL amps and subs I'd really like to put in my Highlander, that are just sitting in boxes, but I have a feeling I wont have the Highlander for maybe more than 6 months. I'm really itching for something with 400hp or more.
    Post edited by CH46E on
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    The C5 z06 is quite a bargain these days.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • CH46E
    The C5 z06 is quite a bargain these days.

I wish. That's has always been one of my FAV vettes. But in really like 4 door sedans.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    Working 3rd shift in a work zone on interstates you quickly learn to despise truck drivers. Gotta get that load there and it doesn't seem to matter to any of them if someone gets killed or not. Fed-ex with double trailers and Bob's furniture drivers stand out in particular as being the worst of the worst.
  • stevep
    stevep Posts: 327
    Eyes rolling in my head. We welcome you all to FL BUT PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, STAY THE **** OUT OF THE LEFT LANE! :#:#

While your at it, stop sleeping in the middle lane too.
  • CH46E
    verb wrote: »
    I made another pair of Frankenspeakers.
    They sound great !

Pics my brother! Please! :smile:

Here ya go......
    I think I'm getting closer to the sound that I want and though these 2.5" bose drivers sound great, I think I may go up another 1/2" and try the Tang Band 3" bamboo full range that Parts Express sells.
    That way the sub won't have to reach as far up to meet them.
    Also the Tang Bands have a really nice build quality.

j0x950an0ox4.jpg

fn1u7jb56c8j.jpg

Im pretty sure I saw the Tang bands you mentioned are out of stock until March IIRC.
  • Tony M
    edited January 2020
    I listened to my RTA12b's while working outside.

I then listened to them and the Pinnacles 50/50 later on inside for about 45 minutes.

Had a BLAST! B)
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    Changed the lights I put in a couple of weeks ago. They were LED and gave off a slight hum. Couldn’t have that. Replaced them with old school fixtures. All good now.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • sgmsmg
    sgmsmg Posts: 542
    Moved up a rung on the Bryston amplifier ladder from a 4B3 to the 14B3. So far I like what I am hearing.
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Anthem AVM90/JBL SDP-55
    Amps: Parasound A31, A51x2
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Meteor/Rocket 88, AQ Niagara/Sky
    Power: Torus AVR20, Shunyata Denali, Shunyata Delta, Cullen, PangeaAC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR85Z9G
  • joecoulson
    $11k amp!
    You go w your bad self.