bookies or floorstanders

Looking for either....for the wife to beat on with her Lady Gaga at volumes only those in Wisconsin can hear.

They need to take some abuse, so they don't have to be perfect, but something that at least sounds halfway decent. Those 99 buck Tad 703's are on their last leg I used for that purpose. Which they did well for that and background music. Anyone have anything in the closet your willing to sell, or have any suggestions for newer bookies ?
HT SYSTEM-
Sony 850c 4k
Pioneer elite vhx 21
Sony 4k BRP
SVS SB-2000
Polk Sig. 20's
Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
Grant Fidelity tube dac
B&k 1420
lsi 9's

Comments

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Get her some Cerwin-Vegas.....
  • seabeerob213
    seabeerob213 Posts: 1,840
    Cerwin Vegas can handle some loud volume abuse, sounding decent is "subjective"
    2 Channel(work in progress):DAC: Schiit modi 2 uberAmp:Parasound 1200 MK IISub:RBH 1010-SEP Speakers: Monitor 5A peerlesscurrently running some krk rokit 3g since the HK pre outs died and i need to start breaking everything down to move in a couple monthsHeadphones:Source: tidalDAC: schiit modius epre: schiit sysAmp: AQ dragonfly black/ schiit magni2 Cans: Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i, sennheiser x drop gaming headsetPC:DAC: schiit modius e(over spdif)pre: schiit sysspeakers: prenous eris 5 xtSub: Earthquake Sound MiniMe-P63most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS, THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER, WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS. WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Cerwin Vegas can handle some loud volume abuse, sounding decent is "subjective"

She needs the "loud", I need the "decent sound". If I had to pick either or....decent sound first. I just can't live with bad sound too long.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • seabeerob213
    seabeerob213 Posts: 1,840
    There's always the pioneers at beat buy, and the newer Sony's ain't terrible either.
    2 Channel(work in progress):DAC: Schiit modi 2 uberAmp:Parasound 1200 MK IISub:RBH 1010-SEP Speakers: Monitor 5A peerlesscurrently running some krk rokit 3g since the HK pre outs died and i need to start breaking everything down to move in a couple monthsHeadphones:Source: tidalDAC: schiit modius epre: schiit sysAmp: AQ dragonfly black/ schiit magni2 Cans: Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i, sennheiser x drop gaming headsetPC:DAC: schiit modius e(over spdif)pre: schiit sysspeakers: prenous eris 5 xtSub: Earthquake Sound MiniMe-P63most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS, THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER, WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS. WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA
  • tonyb
    I could also grab another pair of Sig 20's too. I think I whatever I get, I might have to add a subwoofer to give her the beat, instead of asking too much of the speakers. Saw some Paradigms 20's for like 250 in my neck of the woods. Any opinions on those ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Accessories For Less has refurb Polk T15's for $44.99 a pair. They also have Sig 15 & 20's at a nice price.
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    how close are you to this zipcode in Wisconsin ?
    https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=167073.msg1773827#new
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • tonyb
    marvda1 wrote: »
    how close are you to this zipcode in Wisconsin ?
    https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=167073.msg1773827#new

Ha....could of had a pair for 450, until I went to listen to them. Wouldn't take them for free. Not bad at a whispers volume, crank it up and a boombox would sound better.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1213519125524362/

BP8B's for 250, can these play fairly loud ? Trey used to have these, right ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    never heard any.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,206
    edited January 2020
    If you see anything in towards me I'd be happy to help get them for you. I've thought about selling my Infinity SL40's. They'd run about $100. A little bigger than bookies, though.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    tonyb wrote: »

@deronb1 has the older version of them IIRC and said they were decent....

@lightman1 and I heard a pair of Def Tech floorstanders at my buddies shop and they were SURPRISINGLY GOOD
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    edited January 2020
    Tony, I have a white pair of the once famous 'round these parts Minimus 77's with upgraded X-over. If you are interested, just PM me.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021

@lightman1 and I heard a pair of Def Tech floorstanders at my buddies shop and they were SURPRISINGLY GOOD

They do sound good Dan. Surprisingly good bass too. Shipping would kill it tho.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    TB I have a nice pair of Focal Aria 905's....That got replaced by my KEF LS 50's.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • pglbook
    pglbook Posts: 2,163
    edited January 2020
    Tony: I wish you were closer to upsate NY because the PSB Stratus towers I have listed (at a giveway price of $200!) in the Flea Market would be great, imho. Unfortunately, I cannot ship them. The Stratus are not bookies of course but I see you also listed floorstanders in op title.

Good luck with your search. Happy New Year!
  • EndersShadow
    deronb1 wrote: »

I was saying his local pair on Facebook marketplace was one that you may be able to comment on how they sound since you have the older version.....

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • deronb1
    deronb1 wrote: »

I was saying his local pair on Facebook marketplace was one that you may be able to comment on how they sound since you have the older version.....

Right. I'm guessing they would be a tad brighter with the aluminium tweet. Same footprint and bass should be equivalent. They will fill a room and can play loud without falling apart.
  • EndersShadow
    PS @deronb1

I’m still lusting after your set lol.....
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Sounds like your wife has good taste, at least in music. :)

Personally, I prefer full size floor standing speakers. Since you need to put book shelf speakers on stands they use the same amount of space as full size speakers.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • deronb1
    PS @deronb1

I’m still lusting after your set lol.....

They'll probably be around for awhile. I don't have them listed anywhere else.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    I have a brand new pair of KLH bookies just chillin in the box. I could make you a sweet deal on them.
    Here is a link if you want to check them out.
    https://www.crutchfield.com/p_405ALBBK/KLH-Albany-Black-Oak.html
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Tony, you should buy her a nice set of cans.
  • tonyb
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Tony, I have a white pair of the once famous 'round these parts Minimus 77's with upgraded X-over. If you are interested, just PM me.

Tom

Thanks Tom, not my cup of tea though.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    mantis wrote: »
    I have a brand new pair of KLH bookies just chillin in the box. I could make you a sweet deal on them.
    Here is a link if you want to check them out.
    https://www.crutchfield.com/p_405ALBBK/KLH-Albany-Black-Oak.html

Hmmm, something to consider there.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/186884/klh-albany-bookshelf-speakers#latest
    Here is a link when I was selling them awhile ago. I will do you a lot better then this.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    I like the modern KLH idea a lot.
    (and FWIW)
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I like the modern KLH idea a lot.
    (and FWIW)

They look really cool and I would love to hear them, but a small acoustic suspension monitor for a head bangin’ mama??? Might not fit the bill...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    Dual fi Audio 18 inch infinite baffle subs in the floor with a pair of used bose cubes.

I'd also recommend some of the older Rt series Polk.

Older Definitive 2ith built in powered subs like the bp2006tl don't take up alot of room and throw out alot of sound
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • tonyb
    VR3 wrote: »
    Dual fi Audio 18 inch infinite baffle subs in the floor with a pair of used bose cubes.

I'd also recommend some of the older Rt series Polk.

Older Definitive 2ith built in powered subs like the bp2006tl don't take up alot of room and throw out alot of sound

I'm thinking a may take Bud's advice, and yours, and look for a floorstander more local to me that can throw out some sound. It is a fairly large room that also opens to a dining area. Man, if I could find maybe an old pair of RT55'S that might work out good too. Nice big bookie that can throw out some sound.

Frickin' guy by me wants 500 for some RT6's, he's smokin' dope.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's