bookies or floorstanders

Looking for either....for the wife to beat on with her Lady Gaga at volumes only those in Wisconsin can hear.

They need to take some abuse, so they don't have to be perfect, but something that at least sounds halfway decent. Those 99 buck Tad 703's are on their last leg I used for that purpose. Which they did well for that and background music. Anyone have anything in the closet your willing to sell, or have any suggestions for newer bookies ?
HT SYSTEM-
Sony 850c 4k
Pioneer elite vhx 21
Sony 4k BRP
SVS SB-2000
Polk Sig. 20's
Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
Grant Fidelity tube dac
B&k 1430
Tad 803 speakers

Comments

• lightman1lightman1 Posts: 10,565
    Get her some Cerwin-Vegas.....
  • seabeerob213seabeerob213 Posts: 1,774
    Cerwin Vegas can handle some loud volume abuse, sounding decent is "subjective"
    HT/2channel:
    AVR: Yamaha RX-V 765
    Fronts: Polk RTiA3
    sub: Polk PSW110(will add 2x PSW 505)
    Center: CS13
    surrounds:Polk RTi4( also have some def tech pro Mon. 800s, may end up her or expanding this to 7 channel.)
    TV: samsung 40
    The real 2 Channel(work in progress):
    Pre:HK 3490
    Amp:Parasound 1200 MK II
    Sub:RBH 1010-SEP
    Speakers: Monitor 5A peerless
    Headphones:
    Source: FIIO X3 CD rips WMA lossless
    Amp: FIIO E12, Nuforce icon udcac-2 W/pangea cable
    Cans: Audio-Technica ATH-M50, Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i
    most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)

"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS,
    THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE,
    THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER
    WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS
    WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"
    Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 31,711
    Cerwin Vegas can handle some loud volume abuse, sounding decent is "subjective"

She needs the "loud", I need the "decent sound". If I had to pick either or....decent sound first. I just can't live with bad sound too long.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
  • seabeerob213seabeerob213 Posts: 1,774
    There's always the pioneers at beat buy, and the newer Sony's ain't terrible either.
    HT/2channel:
    AVR: Yamaha RX-V 765
    Fronts: Polk RTiA3
    sub: Polk PSW110(will add 2x PSW 505)
    Center: CS13
    surrounds:Polk RTi4( also have some def tech pro Mon. 800s, may end up her or expanding this to 7 channel.)
    TV: samsung 40
    The real 2 Channel(work in progress):
    Pre:HK 3490
    Amp:Parasound 1200 MK II
    Sub:RBH 1010-SEP
    Speakers: Monitor 5A peerless
    Headphones:
    Source: FIIO X3 CD rips WMA lossless
    Amp: FIIO E12, Nuforce icon udcac-2 W/pangea cable
    Cans: Audio-Technica ATH-M50, Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i
    most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)

"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS,
    THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE,
    THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER
    WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS
    WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"
    Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA
    I could also grab another pair of Sig 20's too. I think I whatever I get, I might have to add a subwoofer to give her the beat, instead of asking too much of the speakers. Saw some Paradigms 20's for like 250 in my neck of the woods. Any opinions on those ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
  • DaveHoDaveHo Posts: 2,516
    Accessories For Less has refurb Polk T15's for $44.99 a pair. They also have Sig 15 & 20's at a nice price.
  • marvda1marvda1 Posts: 3,763
    how close are you to this zipcode in Wisconsin ?
    https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=167073.msg1773827#new
    Amplifiers: MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800,Kinki Studio EX-M1
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Transport/Dac: L.K.S MH-DA004, North Star Design USB dac32, Cayin Venus cd-100i,
    Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkI
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic 2, Analysis Plus Black Mesh Oval 9,
    Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
    Interconnects: Analysis Plus Solo Crystal Oval, Analysis Plus Copper Oval-In Micro,
    Power Cables by: Cullen Cables, 6sons Audio, Swiss Cables
    marvda1 wrote: »
    how close are you to this zipcode in Wisconsin ?
    https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=167073.msg1773827#new

Ha....could of had a pair for 450, until I went to listen to them. Wouldn't take them for free. Not bad at a whispers volume, crank it up and a boombox would sound better.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1213519125524362/

BP8B's for 250, can these play fairly loud ? Trey used to have these, right ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
  • marvda1marvda1 Posts: 3,763
    never heard any.
    Amplifiers: MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800,Kinki Studio EX-M1
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Transport/Dac: L.K.S MH-DA004, North Star Design USB dac32, Cayin Venus cd-100i,
    Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkI
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic 2, Analysis Plus Black Mesh Oval 9,
    Interconnects: Analysis Plus Solo Crystal Oval, Analysis Plus Copper Oval-In Micro,
    Power Cables by: Cullen Cables, 6sons Audio, Swiss Cables
  • daboyzdaboyz Posts: 4,964
    edited January 4
    If you see anything in towards me I'd be happy to help get them for you. I've thought about selling my Infinity SL40's. They'd run about $100. A little bigger than bookies, though.
    HT - Polk Lsi9, Lsi7, LsiC, Marsh A200s, B&K ST-1430, Pioneer Elite BDP 62FD, Marantz SR7008, Martin Logan Dynamo, NHT CS-10, Mogami 3103 speaker wire, Mogami 2534 IC

mini HT - Samsung 46" 3D TV + 3D Blu ray player, HK AVR 254, Infinity SL40, Audioengine B1
  • EndersShadowEndersShadow Posts: 17,010
    tonyb wrote: »

@deronb1 has the older version of them IIRC and said they were decent....

@lightman1 and I heard a pair of Def Tech floorstanders at my buddies shop and they were SURPRISINGLY GOOD
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • treitz3treitz3 Posts: 13,616
    edited January 4
    Tony, I have a white pair of the once famous 'round these parts Minimus 77's with upgraded X-over. If you are interested, just PM me.

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

~ The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction ~

~ When the law ends, tyranny begins ~
    ~ Not all things that can be measured can be heard and not all things heard can be measured ~
  • deronb1deronb1 Posts: 4,892

@lightman1 and I heard a pair of Def Tech floorstanders at my buddies shop and they were SURPRISINGLY GOOD

They do sound good Dan. Surprisingly good bass too. Shipping would kill it tho.
  • Mikey081057Mikey081057 Posts: 6,774
    TB I have a nice pair of Focal Aria 905's....That got replaced by my KEF LS 50's.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

HT:Polk LSiM 706 LSiM 705's VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's| Marantz AV7704 | Sunfire TGA-7401 | Oppo UDP 203 | Sony PS4 Pro| Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | SVS PB13 Ultra | MIT EXP 2's (Fronts & Center)

ManCave: Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro | Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's | Usher BE-616 Center | SVS Ultra Surrounds | SVS SB4000 Sub | SVS SB2000 Sub | Oppo UDP 203 | MIT Shotgun S3's | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life | Samsung 50" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office |Cocktail Audio X14 | KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 | Bluesound Node |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 |
  • pglbookpglbook Posts: 1,819
    edited January 4
    Tony: I wish you were closer to upsate NY because the PSB Stratus towers I have listed (at a giveway price of $200!) in the Flea Market would be great, imho. Unfortunately, I cannot ship them. The Stratus are not bookies of course but I see you also listed floorstanders in op title.

Good luck with your search. Happy New Year!
    deronb1 wrote: »

I was saying his local pair on Facebook marketplace was one that you may be able to comment on how they sound since you have the older version.....

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
    deronb1 wrote: »

I was saying his local pair on Facebook marketplace was one that you may be able to comment on how they sound since you have the older version.....

Right. I'm guessing they would be a tad brighter with the aluminium tweet. Same footprint and bass should be equivalent. They will fill a room and can play loud without falling apart.
    PS @deronb1

I’m still lusting after your set lol.....
  • BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 12,505
    Sounds like your wife has good taste, at least in music. :)

Personally, I prefer full size floor standing speakers. Since you need to put book shelf speakers on stands they use the same amount of space as full size speakers.
    Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin X1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on preamp, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
    PS @deronb1

I’m still lusting after your set lol.....

They'll probably be around for awhile. I don't have them listed anywhere else.
  • mantismantis Posts: 15,491
    I have a brand new pair of KLH bookies just chillin in the box. I could make you a sweet deal on them.
    Here is a link if you want to check them out.
    https://www.crutchfield.com/p_405ALBBK/KLH-Albany-Black-Oak.html
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • afterburntafterburnt Posts: 6,035
    Tony, you should buy her a nice set of cans.
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Tony, I have a white pair of the once famous 'round these parts Minimus 77's with upgraded X-over. If you are interested, just PM me.

Tom

Thanks Tom, not my cup of tea though.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
    mantis wrote: »
    I have a brand new pair of KLH bookies just chillin in the box. I could make you a sweet deal on them.
    Here is a link if you want to check them out.
    https://www.crutchfield.com/p_405ALBBK/KLH-Albany-Black-Oak.html

Hmmm, something to consider there.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
  • mantismantis Posts: 15,491
    https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/186884/klh-albany-bookshelf-speakers#latest
    Here is a link when I was selling them awhile ago. I will do you a lot better then this.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 24,055
    I like the modern KLH idea a lot.
    (and FWIW)
  • rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 6,145
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I like the modern KLH idea a lot.
    (and FWIW)

They look really cool and I would love to hear them, but a small acoustic suspension monitor for a head bangin’ mama??? Might not fit the bill...
    Living Room 2.1: Dynaudio Contour 1.3mkii; Energy s10.2 sub; Cambridge Azur 851A; Cambridge Azur 851C; Bryston BPD-1
    Game Room HT: Denon AVR-X4200w; Definitive Technology SM350; Definitive Technology LCR2000; Definitive Technology Procinema 800; Mirage Nanasats; Sub - HSU VTF-2 MK5
    Master Bedroom
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Definitive Technology SM45; ACI Titan Subwoofer; Squeezebox Touch
  • VR3VR3 Posts: 23,653
    Dual fi Audio 18 inch infinite baffle subs in the floor with a pair of used bose cubes.

I'd also recommend some of the older Rt series Polk.

Older Definitive 2ith built in powered subs like the bp2006tl don't take up alot of room and throw out alot of sound
    - Not Tom

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro
  • anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 2,555
    I have a pair of minty RTi6s in original box.

Or a pair of Monitor 5 JRs that need a little bit of TLC. I refreshed the crossovers already with Dayton's I believe, but have yet to redo the grill cloth (have the new cloth and removed the old cloth from the grill frames, but yet to stretch the new cloth over the frames. The cabinets are walnut and there is a chip out of one of them (not visible from the front).