Looking forward to L800 but have concerns, what are your thoughts?

Comments

• K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    WLDock wrote: »
    I've heard them as well....in a noisy large open environment. Due to the conditions, the volume was turned up at times and the four 10" drivers had no problem belting out very full midbass/bass.

Polk's goal was to make a smaller SDA and so naturally they figured out a way to use large conventional woofers in a smaller cabinet vs. smaller woofers and passive radiators. Even with the 10's I could hear good separation but I've heard good separation with some conventional speakers. It was just not the day to get a good ear on them. Maybe someday I'll heard them again under better circumstances.

The left side and the back of this space was open to the other showroom areas:
    3memrfv1a3vh.jpg

Anyway, rather a person is 100% correct ,100% incorrect or just has a different opinion or experience, there are cordial ways of communicating. Just saying...

Geez, no wonder, you are sitting sideways on your chair, AND on a phone...lol
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,664
    And km's agenda marches on. Your notions about audio in general and members of this forum have been proven wrong time after time. Give it up, no one believes you.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    mark090852 wrote: »
    K_M wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I've got no problem with large loudspeakers, but some of those old SDAs just have/had ...

too many drivers :|

The idea back then was to use several low cost drivers, and hopefully equal one much larger more expensive woofer.
    But lobing and dispersion issues were not at the top of the agenda back then nor as well thought out.

Ive had people see our "Big" sdas and ask why 8 small woofers, instead of maybe 2 10" woofers......not sure, maybe they got a better deal on bulk 6.5" woofers... :D

Another clueless post from someone that doesn’t know what they are talking about....

Posts like this are what are turning me off to the Polk forum. I'm a firm believer in what my parents taught me over half a century ago. "If you haven't got something nice to say, don't say anything at all." So with that in mind, let me finish this post by saying...nothing at all!

The post you quoted is a public service message. You should be grateful there are people here that care enough to speak up and set the record straight.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    That has been tried until we are blue in the face. If you take the time to review threads going back a long ways, you will find that even people from Polk Audio pointed out where KM is wrong or misunderstands what she posts and even then continues to insist everybody else, including Polk, is wrong.

We are at the point where engaging in the back and forth with her is fruitless.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson

• We are at the point where engaging in the back and forth with her is fruitless.

Then say nothing at all.
    McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • F1nut

Then say nothing at all.

Yet, you have.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut wrote: »

Then say nothing at all.

Yet, you have.

Yes, here I am having a conversation with you and John. We may disagree with each other, but there is no disrespect or name calling on either side. This is the way I think it should be. Kudos to both of you gentlemen.
    McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • nooshinjohn

Then say nothing at all.
    Start with the man in the mirror...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,630

No accountability.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    Not me, I was standing, taking the picture while waiting for a seat to open up. There were only 3-4 sweet spot seats in a row.

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • soupbone
    soupbone Posts: 104
    edited November 2019
    What was I thinking? I saw four new posts for this thread and got all excited but it's all ****. I love SDA and am very interested with the new line. Seems silly that I have weed through all this crap:( I have to apologize, I guess by posting this I'm part of the problem.
  • K_M
    edited November 2019

soupbone wrote: »
    What was I thinking? I saw four new posts for this thread and got all excited but it's all ****. I love SDA and am very interested with the new line. Seems silly that I have weed through all this crap:( I have to apologize, I guess by posting this I'm part of the problem.

Yeah sorry for my part in this also.
    I fell victim to the gang of know it all's.
  • K_M
    edited November 2019
    I could do without the public service announcements. I prefer to form my own opinions about the validity of postings made by members here. Fortunately, I can usually tell when someone is "clueless" or when they are just voicing opinions that differ from someone else's opinion on a particular subject. Even if K_M was totally clueless, and I believe she is not, the participants in this thread would have been better served by a meaningful and respectful discussion of the differing opinions.

I am truly exicted to see any measurements that Stereophile does on the new line of speakers!
  • K_M
    WLDock wrote: »
    Not me, I was standing, taking the picture while waiting for a seat to open up. There were only 3-4 sweet spot seats in a row.

Hmm....yeah I was kidding with you!..

I guess to really hear the SDA imaging, it would be quite limited to a very narrow listening spot.
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,470
    They were playing Michael Jackson?
    Or do you recommend him for the break in period?
    :)

Then say nothing at all.

Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • soupbone

I guess to really hear the SDA imaging, it would be quite limited to a very narrow listening spot.

Yup, that's the one problem to SDA, very narrow listening spot. I wonder if the new line has a little bigger sweet spot. Seeing as how they lined the chairs up in row I'm thinking this is not the case.
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,470
    edited November 2019
    Questions for the experts on SDA...
    Does the effect diminish in a larger bare room?
    Does the "sweet spot" shrink in a smaller room?

soup bone beat it/me to the punch!
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,341
    Polk’s manual recommends speakers set up only 6 to 8 feet apart with the music listener 10 to 12 feet away. At least 3 feet from speakers to side walls unless the walls are treated to absorb reflections. Owners will have to adjust to what sounds best to them. No different than it’s always been with SDA speakers. If a room is too small for proper setup, the speakers won’t sound their best.

Room shape and size will affect the sound but the speakers are designed for normal homes, not concert halls. I’ve never heard anyone say their listening space was too big for SDA to work as intended in their home.

https://d3vqw2nv1topde.cloudfront.net/assets/Product Documents/Legend/Polk_Legend_Owners_Manual_English_L800_MP.pdf

FWIW, all stereo speakers if set up properly for music listening have a small sweet spot where a listener can hear the best stereo imaging reproduced. Normally this setup for conventional speakers will be so they are toed in and roughly in an equilateral triangle. The L800s are a bit different in that regard.

Conventional speakers can be set up so they are wider apart for home theater use and toed in to whatever degree covers the main seating area with good enough sound. Mine are around 12 feet apart and 12 feet from the main listening area. A center speaker anchors the sound in the middle. Stereo imaging in that system is not really the primary concern because DSP comes into play to address timing and room reflections.

Personally, I think the L600s would be better suited to home theater setups because of cost and functionality, but the L800s better for a music only system where a single owner wants to be in the sweet spot to get the best experience.

• soupbone
    I agree Emlyn. The SDA image is only smeared by being too close to a side wall. The illusion of a bigger space would be at its best without sidewall refections. A long wall would not have a negative affect to the illusion.
  • Emlyn
    Given the placement considerations, I think a listening room around 18 to 20 feet by 18 to 20 feet or so would be better than something smaller. These are not speakers to cram into a 10 foot by 10 foot man cave. They need room to do their thing.
  • F1nut
    This is worth repeating because some still don't get it.
    all stereo speakers if set up properly for music listening have a small sweet spot where a listener can hear the best stereo imaging reproduced.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut

Yeah sorry for starting yet another mess.

Fixed

President of Club Polk

• soupbone
    F1nut wrote: »
    This is worth repeating because some still don't get it.
    all stereo speakers if set up properly for music listening have a small sweet spot where a listener can hear the best stereo imaging reproduced.

Very true but the SDA line seem to be the most head in a vice speakers of all. Earlier models were worse but they made improvments. Let's hope the L800 is the best yet.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    edited November 2019

Yup, that's the one problem to SDA, very narrow listening spot. I wonder if the new line has a little bigger sweet spot. Seeing as how they lined the chairs up in row I'm thinking this is not the case.

Interaural crosstalk cancellation actually facilitates a wider and deeper sound stage and a wider and deeper sweet spot. Imaging will be best at dead center, however the sound stage should remain stable for some distance away from dead center. With some speakers I have auditioned, the sound stage collapsed with only minor head movements of a few inches to either side (the dreaded "head in a vice" requirement).

In my experience, SDAs have generated a much wider sweet spot (2-3 ft. wide) than conventional stereo speakers. Of course, the size of the sweet spot will vary depending on the quality of the signal fed to the speakers, distance from the front of the speakers, room acoustics, and how the speakers are placed in the room. With my 1.2TLs, the sound stage does not collapse with small lateral head movements, or even with turning my head nearly 90 degrees to either side.

The chairs in a line is the standard laboratory arrangement for having several people evaluate a stereo speaker pair at the same time. Even with a wide sweet spot, it is not desirable to have any obstruction near either ear during critical listening sessions.

Post edited by DarqueKnight on
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • nooshinjohn
    They can be found at Music Direct now as well... I cannot wait to get this years Christmas catalog from them. :p

https://www.musicdirect.com/speakers/Polk-Audio-Legend-L800-Tower-Speakers?variant=APOLKLL800N?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=ppc&msclkid=85bd371afe9616991e936ada35536a51

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,119

TMI... Spanky
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Emlyn
    Cool. Music Direct would be better for me...local sales tax avoidance!

Listing says they may be available for shipping in two to three weeks. Getting closer.
  • soupbone wrote: »
    Yup, that's the one problem to SDA, very narrow listening spot.
    Very true but the SDA line seem to be the most head in a vice speakers of all. Earlier models were worse but they made improvments. Let's hope the L800 is the best yet.

Properly set up SDAs should exhibit the opposite sweet spot size characteristics. This was true from the earliest SDAs. The quote below is from Matthew Polk's 1984 Audio magazine article on SDA technology (page 40, column 3, under "Audible Benefits"):

"The finished system, in many respects, has exceeded our expectations. The flexibility of listening position is greater than was expected, allowing not only front-to-back movement, but substantial side-to-side tolerance as well. Analysis of signals at the ears for listening locations off the central axis somewhat justifies this, but predicts a more dramatic image shift than the "changing seats in a concert hall" effect actually observed. More easily explained is the observation that phantom sources localized to the sides seem to remain stationary as the listener moves away from the system, rather than moving with the listener."

The 1984 article is attached below.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,901
    Head in a vice ?? With SDA's ?? Never have I experienced that and if you have, your SDA's aren't working properly in my opinion. Just sayin'...
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable