Looking forward to L800 but have concerns, what are your thoughts?

2456713

Comments

  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 21,566
    K_M wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I've got no problem with large loudspeakers, but some of those old SDAs just have/had ...

    too many drivers :|

    The idea back then was to use several low cost drivers, and hopefully equal one much larger more expensive woofer.
    But lobing and dispersion issues were not at the top of the agenda back then nor as well thought out.

    Ive had people see our "Big" sdas and ask why 8 small woofers, instead of maybe 2 10" woofers......not sure, maybe they got a better deal on bulk 6.5" woofers... :D

    Another clueless post from someone that doesn’t know what they are talking about....
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-LX701, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds.

    Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

    “If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 43,074

    Another clueless post from someone that doesn’t know what they are talking about....

    Worth repeating!

    Political Correctness'.........defined

    "A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."


    President of Club Polk

  • K_MK_M Posts: 1,535
    K_M wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I've got no problem with large loudspeakers, but some of those old SDAs just have/had ...

    too many drivers :|

    The idea back then was to use several low cost drivers, and hopefully equal one much larger more expensive woofer.
    But lobing and dispersion issues were not at the top of the agenda back then nor as well thought out.

    Ive had people see our "Big" sdas and ask why 8 small woofers, instead of maybe 2 10" woofers......not sure, maybe they got a better deal on bulk 6.5" woofers... :D

    Another clueless post from someone that doesn’t know what they are talking about....

    Maybe, but at least have the decency to discuss what you think is in error.

    Making a personal attack, makes you look petty and lacking in any real information what would agree/disagree with what I said.

    In other words, you are simply TROLLING.......for an argument.
    Step it up some and try to put your thoughts into sentences.
    Otherwise, you look like you have no real point...
    Lsi15, Lsi9, LsiC,Rta11t,M5jr+,M4, SDA SRS 2.3TL, Rti6....Still listing stuff, a work in progress.
    B+W-Sold
    Electro Voice EV-SIX
    Infinity-Sold
    Advent-Now gone
    Yamaha A-S801
    Yamaha RX-V377
    Yamaha RX-A860
    Yamaha RX-A3060
    Harman Kardon Hk-350i
    Harman Kardon Hk-........
    Harman Kardon PM-665
    Harman Kardon HK-775
    Pioneer.......Stereo Receiver

  • K_MK_M Posts: 1,535
    edited October 12
    F1nut wrote: »

    Another clueless post from someone that doesn’t know what they are talking about....

    Worth repeating!
    F1nut wrote: »

    Another clueless post from someone that doesn’t know what they are talking about....

    Worth repeating!

    I really thought you were going to discuss the topic at hand, but instead???

    Lsi15, Lsi9, LsiC,Rta11t,M5jr+,M4, SDA SRS 2.3TL, Rti6....Still listing stuff, a work in progress.
    B+W-Sold
    Electro Voice EV-SIX
    Infinity-Sold
    Advent-Now gone
    Yamaha A-S801
    Yamaha RX-V377
    Yamaha RX-A860
    Yamaha RX-A3060
    Harman Kardon Hk-350i
    Harman Kardon Hk-........
    Harman Kardon PM-665
    Harman Kardon HK-775
    Pioneer.......Stereo Receiver

  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 23,555
    People have been worried about "lobing", comb filtering and dispersion since the days of Dr. Harry F. Olson, at least.

    http://www.nasonline.org/publications/biographical-memoirs/memoir-pdfs/olson-harry.pdf

    http://cyrille.pinton.free.fr/electroac/lectures_utiles/son/Olson.pdf
    lh33oj8t1qjk.png

  • K_MK_M Posts: 1,535
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    People have been worried about "lobing", comb filtering and dispersion since the days of Dr. Harry F. Olson, at least.

    http://www.nasonline.org/publications/biographical-memoirs/memoir-pdfs/olson-harry.pdf

    http://cyrille.pinton.free.fr/electroac/lectures_utiles/son/Olson.pdf
    lh33oj8t1qjk.png

    Yes, but Polk did not implement ways to reduce or eliminate those effects till years later.
    For instance the RTA11t, both midwoofers operate up to the same frequency and are above and below the tweeter

    In the SDA models, I do not believe it was a huge concern the placement of drivers and so on.

    But still great point!
    Lsi15, Lsi9, LsiC,Rta11t,M5jr+,M4, SDA SRS 2.3TL, Rti6....Still listing stuff, a work in progress.
    B+W-Sold
    Electro Voice EV-SIX
    Infinity-Sold
    Advent-Now gone
    Yamaha A-S801
    Yamaha RX-V377
    Yamaha RX-A860
    Yamaha RX-A3060
    Harman Kardon Hk-350i
    Harman Kardon Hk-........
    Harman Kardon PM-665
    Harman Kardon HK-775
    Pioneer.......Stereo Receiver

  • rpf65rpf65 Posts: 2,083
    Not an expert on the subject, but pretty sure that exact size of mid-woofer was selected because it was vital to the SDA effect.
  • NightfallNightfall Posts: 8,614
    K_M wrote: »
    Yes, but Polk did not implement ways to reduce or eliminate those effects till years later.

    Years later from when?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

    Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 43,074
    K_M wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »

    Another clueless post from someone that doesn’t know what they are talking about....

    Worth repeating!
    F1nut wrote: »

    Another clueless post from someone that doesn’t know what they are talking about....

    Worth repeating!

    I really thought you were going to discuss the topic at hand, but instead???

    Every time you enter a thread and are asked for information/details you disappear, so there's no point in discussing anything with you. Hit and run, it's your MO and everyone here knows it. Go play the victim somewhere else.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

    "A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."


    President of Club Polk

  • afterburntafterburnt Posts: 5,868
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I've got no problem with large loudspeakers, but some of those old SDAs just have/had ...

    too many drivers :|

    wwmymz6oidjn.jpg
  • afterburntafterburnt Posts: 5,868
    edited October 12
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    game.

    ca8lwnp4qg9z.png

    set.

    u9o0hb3cf7ov.png

    and match.

    66brntuj1pqd.png


    ;)

    Actually, all three of the above at least claim to be intelligently designed.
    I have my doubts about the Tektons, but that's just me :|

    I reject "Intelligent Design" based on what's on top of the food chain, but that's for another discussion I guess.

    I do find those speakers titillating yet disturbing.
  • rpf65rpf65 Posts: 2,083
    How do you eat a burger without the top part of the bun?
  • afterburntafterburnt Posts: 5,868
    rpf65 wrote: »
    How do you eat a burger without the top part of the bun?

    Turn it over?
  • NightfallNightfall Posts: 8,614
    edited October 12
    Nightfall wrote: »
    K_M wrote: »
    Yes, but Polk did not implement ways to reduce or eliminate those effects till years later.

    Years later from when?

    Where'd you go? I didn't even get to tell you about the RTA-12B's and C's.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

    Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • audioluvraudioluvr Posts: 1,427
    edited October 13


    The reason they chose 6.5" midwoofers is because they were after the specific goal of eliminating intra-aural crosstalk so they could vastly improve stereo sound reproduction... I trust you have read the white paper on it so I will not post it here. They chose the very best driver size they could for achieving their goal. The doped paper cone was and still is one of the best drivers ever made. They are light, fast, articulate and durable. They are capable of being both exceptionally delicate and detailed and forceful at the same moment.

    Ten inch speakers are not capable of the speed, control or frequency response needed to accomplish this. Further, a pair of 10" drivers, placed in an SDA configuration would have made the speakers 30 inches wide.

    It would be you that is trolling when you continue to disparage and dismiss a speaker you clearly do not understand or appreciate by saying such incredibly stupid things and expecting a free pass. Your statements about SDA's are nearly always wrong. You state you uninformed opinion as if they should be regarded as fact and they cry wolf when those of us that actually know what we are talking about speak up.

    My comments are meant to inform someone new to this forum, or to SDA, that you are not a person that should be listened to in regards to anything having to do with these speakers, and perhaps audio in general.

    For a very long time, many members, myself and Jesse included, have tried to help you understand, yet you not only refuse to take any sort of advice, suggestion or input, you continue your crusade to disparage and diminish what you do not comprehend. Your contribution to the understanding of SDA is useless, and your continued presence talking about them is pointless. And as for your reply to this... don't bother because I wont be seeing it.

    Thank you John! What an eloquent response! Too bad there isn't an all in one button that includes "Like", "Agree", and "Insightful".

    Home System:
    SDA 1C's - Full mod with the help by Dave...
    1000 Va Dreadnought- w/ WireWorld Mini-Eclipse cables
    WireWorld Mini-Eclipse 7 speaker cables
    WireWorld Silver Eclipse IC's
    Cambridge Audio Azur 851N - DAC/Streamer
    In The Market For A New Pre...
    B&K M200 Sonata Monoblocks
    BLE-Design 16mm Power Cables
    Denon DVD 2900

    Barn system:
    SDA SRS 2.3's Full mod done by myself
    Carver C-1 pre
    Carver M1.5t
    BluDenso - Bluetooth receiver/DAC
  • K_MK_M Posts: 1,535
    edited October 13
    K_M wrote: »
    K_M wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I've got no problem with large loudspeakers, but some of those old SDAs just have/had ...

    too many drivers :|

    The idea back then was to use several low cost drivers, and hopefully equal one much larger more expensive woofer.
    But lobing and dispersion issues were not at the top of the agenda back then nor as well thought out.

    Ive had people see our "Big" sdas and ask why 8 small woofers, instead of maybe 2 10" woofers......not sure, maybe they got a better deal on bulk 6.5" woofers... :D

    Another clueless post from someone that doesn’t know what they are talking about....

    Maybe, but at least have the decency to discuss what you think is in error.

    Making a personal attack, makes you look petty and lacking in any real information what would agree/disagree with what I said.

    In other words, you are simply TROLLING.......for an argument.
    Step it up some and try to put your thoughts into sentences.
    Otherwise, you look like you have no real point...

    The reason they chose 6.5" midwoofers is because they were after the specific goal of eliminating intra-aural crosstalk so they could vastly improve stereo sound reproduction... I trust you have read the white paper on it so I will not post it here. They chose the very best driver size they could for achieving their goal. The doped paper cone was and still is one of the best drivers ever made. They are light, fast, articulate and durable. They are capable of being both exceptionally delicate and detailed and forceful at the same moment.

    Ten inch speakers are not capable of the speed, control or frequency response needed to accomplish this. Further, a pair of 10" drivers, placed in an SDA configuration would have made the speakers 30 inches wide.

    It would be you that is trolling when you continue to disparage and dismiss a speaker you clearly do not understand or appreciate by saying such incredibly stupid things and expecting a free pass. Your statements about SDA's are nearly always wrong. You state you uninformed opinion as if they should be regarded as fact and they cry wolf when those of us that actually know what we are talking about speak up.

    My comments are meant to inform someone new to this forum, or to SDA, that you are not a person that should be listened to in regards to anything having to do with these speakers, and perhaps audio in general.

    For a very long time, many members, myself and Jesse included, have tried to help you understand, yet you not only refuse to take any sort of advice, suggestion or input, you continue your crusade to disparage and diminish what you do not comprehend. Your contribution to the understanding of SDA is useless, and your continued presence talking about them is pointless. And as for your reply to this... don't bother because I wont be seeing it.



    You are unable to accept disagreement.
    Some advice.......

    A Forum such as this is going to ALWAYS have disagreement, people that love and hate things, and many that will think you are wrong, are clueless and so on, and some that will agree with anything you say, no matter right or wrong.

    That is how the online world works.

    You and Jesse have not cornered the market for knowing everything.
    I know for certain, MANY things you and he say are wrong.
    The difference, I do not get all bent out of shape, and call you guys names, and call you trolls and so on.

    Learn to accept disagreement, There is going to be a lot more in your life.
    Thinking you are right about everything, will never make you happy!

    Have a great day!!











    Post edited by K_M on
    Lsi15, Lsi9, LsiC,Rta11t,M5jr+,M4, SDA SRS 2.3TL, Rti6....Still listing stuff, a work in progress.
    B+W-Sold
    Electro Voice EV-SIX
    Infinity-Sold
    Advent-Now gone
    Yamaha A-S801
    Yamaha RX-V377
    Yamaha RX-A860
    Yamaha RX-A3060
    Harman Kardon Hk-350i
    Harman Kardon Hk-........
    Harman Kardon PM-665
    Harman Kardon HK-775
    Pioneer.......Stereo Receiver

  • mpitogompitogo Posts: 363
    When are these shipping again? Nov 1st? I see in the dealer network there are in-store demo but will they all have the L800? In the case of World Wide Stereo, I'm thinking they would since this is a high end shop which demos speakers costing 10x as much as the L800. If I like them I'll pick up a pair.
    Living Room Music-2.0 Polk L800 | McIntosh C47 | McIntosh MC452 | Denon DP-2500A | Oppo BDP-103 | iTunes Laptop via USB
    Family Room Home Theater-7.2.2 (Atmos) Polk LSiM 707, 706c, Dual DSW microPRO 3000, LSiM 702 F/X [x4], RC65i | Marantz SR7009 | Rotel RB-1590 [FL/FR] | Sony UBP-X800 4K | Xbox One S 4K | AppleTV 4K | HTPC | Sony 75” XBR X850D 4K
    Office Home Theater-5.1 Polk RT55, CS400, PSW450, f/x 500 | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Xbox 360 MCE | AppleTV | Samsung 55”
    Office Music-2.0 KEF Q100 | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080
    Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | McIntosh MA-5200
    Patio Music-2.0 Polk Atrium8 | AMC 2445 bridged
    Airplay zones: Family Room (HDMI), Master Bedroom (Optical), Office (HDMI), Living Room (Optical), SR7009 (AVR direct) and Patio (analog). MacMini iTunes multi-stream to any, combo or all.
    Spares: Polk LSi25, LSiC, CS300, T15, Martin Logan Motion 40, Klipsch RP-600M, Dynamo 500, Rotel RA-1570, Denon AVR-4802R, Onkyo DX-C540, DVP-S500D, PS HX-500, PASS ACA (kit) Class A balanced monoblocks
    Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine
  • K_MK_M Posts: 1,535
    audioluvr wrote: »


    The reason they chose 6.5" midwoofers is because they were after the specific goal of eliminating intra-aural crosstalk so they could vastly improve stereo sound reproduction... I trust you have read the white paper on it so I will not post it here. They chose the very best driver size they could for achieving their goal. The doped paper cone was and still is one of the best drivers ever made. They are light, fast, articulate and durable. They are capable of being both exceptionally delicate and detailed and forceful at the same moment.

    Ten inch speakers are not capable of the speed, control or frequency response needed to accomplish this. Further, a pair of 10" drivers, placed in an SDA configuration would have made the speakers 30 inches wide.

    It would be you that is trolling when you continue to disparage and dismiss a speaker you clearly do not understand or appreciate by saying such incredibly stupid things and expecting a free pass. Your statements about SDA's are nearly always wrong. You state you uninformed opinion as if they should be regarded as fact and they cry wolf when those of us that actually know what we are talking about speak up.

    My comments are meant to inform someone new to this forum, or to SDA, that you are not a person that should be listened to in regards to anything having to do with these speakers, and perhaps audio in general.

    For a very long time, many members, myself and Jesse included, have tried to help you understand, yet you not only refuse to take any sort of advice, suggestion or input, you continue your crusade to disparage and diminish what you do not comprehend. Your contribution to the understanding of SDA is useless, and your continued presence talking about them is pointless. And as for your reply to this... don't bother because I wont be seeing it.

    Thank you John! What an eloquent response! Too bad there isn't an all in one button that includes "Like", "Agree", and "Insightful".

    Yeah maybe, too bad you lack the backbone to call them out, when they act like utter jerks and call people names and so on.

    Are you too scared to mention that, or do you feel obligated to only kiss up when required?
    Lsi15, Lsi9, LsiC,Rta11t,M5jr+,M4, SDA SRS 2.3TL, Rti6....Still listing stuff, a work in progress.
    B+W-Sold
    Electro Voice EV-SIX
    Infinity-Sold
    Advent-Now gone
    Yamaha A-S801
    Yamaha RX-V377
    Yamaha RX-A860
    Yamaha RX-A3060
    Harman Kardon Hk-350i
    Harman Kardon Hk-........
    Harman Kardon PM-665
    Harman Kardon HK-775
    Pioneer.......Stereo Receiver

  • NightfallNightfall Posts: 8,614
    Yeah, but what about RTA-12Bs and C's implementing a way to reduce lobing with the side by side driver arrangement.

    Also, facts can't be disagreed. It's not like I can say 1+1 is 3 and you just have to accept that we disagree.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

    Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 43,074
    K_M wrote: »
    audioluvr wrote: »


    The reason they chose 6.5" midwoofers is because they were after the specific goal of eliminating intra-aural crosstalk so they could vastly improve stereo sound reproduction... I trust you have read the white paper on it so I will not post it here. They chose the very best driver size they could for achieving their goal. The doped paper cone was and still is one of the best drivers ever made. They are light, fast, articulate and durable. They are capable of being both exceptionally delicate and detailed and forceful at the same moment.

    Ten inch speakers are not capable of the speed, control or frequency response needed to accomplish this. Further, a pair of 10" drivers, placed in an SDA configuration would have made the speakers 30 inches wide.

    It would be you that is trolling when you continue to disparage and dismiss a speaker you clearly do not understand or appreciate by saying such incredibly stupid things and expecting a free pass. Your statements about SDA's are nearly always wrong. You state you uninformed opinion as if they should be regarded as fact and they cry wolf when those of us that actually know what we are talking about speak up.

    My comments are meant to inform someone new to this forum, or to SDA, that you are not a person that should be listened to in regards to anything having to do with these speakers, and perhaps audio in general.

    For a very long time, many members, myself and Jesse included, have tried to help you understand, yet you not only refuse to take any sort of advice, suggestion or input, you continue your crusade to disparage and diminish what you do not comprehend. Your contribution to the understanding of SDA is useless, and your continued presence talking about them is pointless. And as for your reply to this... don't bother because I wont be seeing it.

    Thank you John! What an eloquent response! Too bad there isn't an all in one button that includes "Like", "Agree", and "Insightful".

    Yeah maybe, too bad you lack the backbone to call them out, when they act like utter jerks and call people names and so on.

    Are you too scared to mention that, or do you feel obligated to only kiss up when required?

    My my, they are twisted today.....LOL
    Political Correctness'.........defined

    "A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."


    President of Club Polk

  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 43,074
    K_M wrote: »
    K_M wrote: »
    K_M wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I've got no problem with large loudspeakers, but some of those old SDAs just have/had ...

    too many drivers :|

    The idea back then was to use several low cost drivers, and hopefully equal one much larger more expensive woofer.
    But lobing and dispersion issues were not at the top of the agenda back then nor as well thought out.

    Ive had people see our "Big" sdas and ask why 8 small woofers, instead of maybe 2 10" woofers......not sure, maybe they got a better deal on bulk 6.5" woofers... :D

    Another clueless post from someone that doesn’t know what they are talking about....

    Maybe, but at least have the decency to discuss what you think is in error.

    Making a personal attack, makes you look petty and lacking in any real information what would agree/disagree with what I said.

    In other words, you are simply TROLLING.......for an argument.
    Step it up some and try to put your thoughts into sentences.
    Otherwise, you look like you have no real point...

    The reason they chose 6.5" midwoofers is because they were after the specific goal of eliminating intra-aural crosstalk so they could vastly improve stereo sound reproduction... I trust you have read the white paper on it so I will not post it here. They chose the very best driver size they could for achieving their goal. The doped paper cone was and still is one of the best drivers ever made. They are light, fast, articulate and durable. They are capable of being both exceptionally delicate and detailed and forceful at the same moment.

    Ten inch speakers are not capable of the speed, control or frequency response needed to accomplish this. Further, a pair of 10" drivers, placed in an SDA configuration would have made the speakers 30 inches wide.

    It would be you that is trolling when you continue to disparage and dismiss a speaker you clearly do not understand or appreciate by saying such incredibly stupid things and expecting a free pass. Your statements about SDA's are nearly always wrong. You state you uninformed opinion as if they should be regarded as fact and they cry wolf when those of us that actually know what we are talking about speak up.

    My comments are meant to inform someone new to this forum, or to SDA, that you are not a person that should be listened to in regards to anything having to do with these speakers, and perhaps audio in general.

    For a very long time, many members, myself and Jesse included, have tried to help you understand, yet you not only refuse to take any sort of advice, suggestion or input, you continue your crusade to disparage and diminish what you do not comprehend. Your contribution to the understanding of SDA is useless, and your continued presence talking about them is pointless. And as for your reply to this... don't bother because I wont be seeing it.



    You are unable to accept disagreement.
    Some advice.......

    A Forum such as this is going to ALWAYS have disagreement, people that love and hate things, and many that will think you are wrong, are clueless and so on, and some that will agree with anything you say, no matter right or wrong.

    That is how the online world works.

    You and Jesse have not cornered the market for knowing everything.
    I know for certain, MANY things you and he say are wrong.
    The difference, I do not get all bent out of shape, and call you guys names, and call you trolls and so on.

    Learn to accept disagreement, There is going to be a lot more in your life.
    Thinking you are right about everything, will never make you happy!

    Have a great day!!











    And yet you stated that he was trolling in this very thread.
    K_M wrote: »
    In other words, you are simply TROLLING.......for an argument.
    Step it up some and try to put your thoughts into sentences.
    Otherwise, you look like you have no real point...
    Political Correctness'.........defined

    "A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."


    President of Club Polk

  • K_MK_M Posts: 1,535
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Yeah, but what about RTA-12Bs and C's implementing a way to reduce lobing with the side by side driver arrangement.

    Also, facts can't be disagreed. It's not like I can say 1+1 is 3 and you just have to accept that we disagree.

    My point was in reference to "some" of the older Polks, in comparison to the new SDA iteration.
    I meant a lot has been learned/implemented in those intervening years.

    In later models employing multiple small woofers, the upper range of one was limited intentionally by the crossover, such as in the Lsi 15 and Lsi 25 among others.

    Part of this was for reasons relating to BSC and part for reduced lobing and to maintain a more specific point for sound source localizations.
    Lsi15, Lsi9, LsiC,Rta11t,M5jr+,M4, SDA SRS 2.3TL, Rti6....Still listing stuff, a work in progress.
    B+W-Sold
    Electro Voice EV-SIX
    Infinity-Sold
    Advent-Now gone
    Yamaha A-S801
    Yamaha RX-V377
    Yamaha RX-A860
    Yamaha RX-A3060
    Harman Kardon Hk-350i
    Harman Kardon Hk-........
    Harman Kardon PM-665
    Harman Kardon HK-775
    Pioneer.......Stereo Receiver

  • K_MK_M Posts: 1,535
    Emlyn wrote: »
    Crutchfield now has the L800s up for reservation and the L600 on pre-order status. No definite ship dates yet...

    https://www.crutchfield.com/p_700L800WN/Polk-Audio-Legend-L800-Brown-Walnut.html

    We are thinking about maybe doing the L600 (SDA is not important to me) but see the L800 are listed as "Each" in crutchfield for approx 6K dollars..

    Think that will confuse many as they mean "Each Pair", but each....to most means ONE of something.
    Lsi15, Lsi9, LsiC,Rta11t,M5jr+,M4, SDA SRS 2.3TL, Rti6....Still listing stuff, a work in progress.
    B+W-Sold
    Electro Voice EV-SIX
    Infinity-Sold
    Advent-Now gone
    Yamaha A-S801
    Yamaha RX-V377
    Yamaha RX-A860
    Yamaha RX-A3060
    Harman Kardon Hk-350i
    Harman Kardon Hk-........
    Harman Kardon PM-665
    Harman Kardon HK-775
    Pioneer.......Stereo Receiver

  • mpitogompitogo Posts: 363
    @K_M I agree, I was shopping around and saw the online only retailers, landing on crutchfield had me do a double take. I knew they where 6k a pair not 6k ea.... matching pair.

    I know nothing of SDA other than pictures.
    Living Room Music-2.0 Polk L800 | McIntosh C47 | McIntosh MC452 | Denon DP-2500A | Oppo BDP-103 | iTunes Laptop via USB
    Family Room Home Theater-7.2.2 (Atmos) Polk LSiM 707, 706c, Dual DSW microPRO 3000, LSiM 702 F/X [x4], RC65i | Marantz SR7009 | Rotel RB-1590 [FL/FR] | Sony UBP-X800 4K | Xbox One S 4K | AppleTV 4K | HTPC | Sony 75” XBR X850D 4K
    Office Home Theater-5.1 Polk RT55, CS400, PSW450, f/x 500 | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Xbox 360 MCE | AppleTV | Samsung 55”
    Office Music-2.0 KEF Q100 | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080
    Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | McIntosh MA-5200
    Patio Music-2.0 Polk Atrium8 | AMC 2445 bridged
    Airplay zones: Family Room (HDMI), Master Bedroom (Optical), Office (HDMI), Living Room (Optical), SR7009 (AVR direct) and Patio (analog). MacMini iTunes multi-stream to any, combo or all.
    Spares: Polk LSi25, LSiC, CS300, T15, Martin Logan Motion 40, Klipsch RP-600M, Dynamo 500, Rotel RA-1570, Denon AVR-4802R, Onkyo DX-C540, DVP-S500D, PS HX-500, PASS ACA (kit) Class A balanced monoblocks
    Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 43,074
    It clearly states matched pair in the heading, so each matched pair is $5999.98.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

    "A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."


    President of Club Polk

  • dromundsdromunds Posts: 8,359
    Did any of you folks in the Chicago area get to the October 10 listening session in Glenview?
  • WLDockWLDock Posts: 2,671
    edited October 15
    F1nut wrote: »
    It clearly states matched pair in the heading, so each matched pair is $5999.98.

    For sure it does, one should read before buying $6K speakers. Buying a pair is assumed, yet I think listing as a Left/Right PAIR beside the price makes the most sense to everyone.

    However, I'm sure companies enter these in a way that fits their current database structure. I'm surprised POLK lists them as each with no obvious Left/Right pair designation beside the price.

    Listed as Each
    https://www.polkaudio.com/products/l800
    https://www.safeandsoundhq.com/search?type=article,page,product&q=Polk*+L800*
    https://www.hideflifestyle.com/products/polk-audio-legend-l800-premium-floorstanding-tower-speaker-w-patented-sda-pro-technology

    Listed as Each (Pair in the description)
    https://www.crutchfield.com/p_700L800BA/Polk-Audio-Legend-L800-Black-Ash.html

    Listed as Each (Right) & (Left) SKU
    https://www.nfm.com/floor-speakers?sort=salepricedesc
    https://stereoadvantage.com/apps/omega-search/?type=product&q=Polk+L800#type=product&q=Polk L800

    dromunds wrote: »
    Did any of you folks in the Chicago area get to the October 10 listening session in Glenview?
    Yes, it was a big audio event that had reps from several other manufactures present also. Great store, great turnout, but not the best situation for listening. Some of the rooms were closed but the Polks were in a large open and noisy area. https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/187849/abt-electronics-audio-innovation-event-10-10-2019
    Post edited by WLDock on
    FAMILY ROOM
    HDTV - Sharp AQUOS LC-70LE600U 70" | AVR/Streamer - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Amp - Parasound HCA-1203A
    Blu-Ray/Media/Gaming - Sony PS3-320GB / Microsoft Xbox One | Broadcast - Xfinity X1 Platform
    Front Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Center Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Rear Spkrs - Artison Portrait LRS
    Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Dayton Audio SA1000
    Wire - Audioquest Type 4, BJC Belden 5000 | HDMI - BJC Belden | Power Cables - Pangea | Surge - Monster
  • skrolskrol Posts: 2,829
    So do you think Crutchfield would put the L800 on display in their store locations?
    Stan

    Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

    HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade), Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

    Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7; Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!