Looking forward to L800 but have concerns, what are your thoughts?

Comments

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,341
    skrol wrote: »
    So do you think Crutchfield would put the L800 on display in their store locations?

Their main Charlottesville location is identified as selling the Legend series. My guess is they would display a pair of the L800s. A long time ago when I was there they had a full RT5000 rosewood home theater system set up.

Not sure if they would have a 30 day return policy on the L800s for those who can’t get to Virginia but want to buy online.

• dolbyd
    dolbyd Posts: 430
    Main room- RTiA9 x4, CSiA6, in ceiling Atmos RT-70 x4, SVS PC 4000 x2, Marantz 8805A, OPPO 203, Emotiva DR3 G3, Emotiva XPA-2 G3, Emotiva XPA-5 G3, Emotiva X300, Sony 75" 940E, Panasonic Plasma VT50, PS Audio Power Port X2, PS Audio AC-5 x8, AQ Rocket 33 Biwire speaker cables, AQ King Cobra XLR IC, Furman PFi20 W/Cullen cable, SoildSteel S4-4 rack, Gik room treatments

Office- Legend L600, in ceiling Polk RC80i, Marantz 7704, OPPO 203, Pioneer Elite PDF-59 CD, PSA Stellar 300, Sony 55" 800B, Gik room treatment

Master BR- Signature ES60, Signature S35 Center, Signature S15 Dolby Height, LSI700 in ceiling, SVS-SB4000, Marantz 5012, Emotiva XPA5 G2, OPPO 203, Pioneer DVL-919 Laser Disc, Sony 55" OLED

Patio- SDI Atrium8 x3, Emotiva A-100 amps x3
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    That is a great explanation.... sadly K_M still won’t get it.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    OK, we've got the successor to the SDA SRS 3.1TL out of the gate. I'm wondering if Polk has the 2.3TL and 1.2TL prototypes on reserve while they see how well the L800 does.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,664
    Don't hold your breath.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    I feel like a CRS would be more likely than Polk selling a $10,000+ pair.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited October 2019
    OK, we've got the successor to the SDA SRS 3.1TL out of the gate. I'm wondering if Polk has the 2.3TL and 1.2TL prototypes on reserve while they see how well the L800 does.

Polk marketed the L800 as superior to all the older SDA speakers.

While the older 3.1TL SDA speakers do have several smaller sized drivers that would be equal to the (2) 10" woofers of the L800, the similarity ends there.

The actual total volume of air moved by the L800 is MORE than the Largest SDA from years ago.

Despite 8 Midwoofers employed the radiating area of all 8 midwoofers combined is 1080cm(2)

The L800 total radiating area of both 10" woofers is 686cm(2), but has approximately double the excursion. Equal to about 1370Cm(2)

So in the end, 8 small midwoofers are equal to 2 10" woofers with more excursion.

• F1nut
    K_M wrote: »

While the older 3.1TL SDA speakers do have several smaller sized drivers that would be equal to the (2) 10" woofers of the L800, the similarity ends there.

The actual total volume of air moved by the L800 is MORE than the Largest SDA from years ago.

Despite 8 Midwoofers employed the radiating area of all 8 midwoofers combined is 1080cm(2)

The L800 total radiating area of both 10" woofers is 686cm(2), but has approximately double the excursion. Equal to about 1370Cm(2)

So in the end, 8 small midwoofers are equal to 2 10" woofers with more excursion.

You just proved John's point as you truly have no idea what you're talking about.......NONE!!!

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    soupbone wrote: »
    Wow! I joined this forum about 18 years ago. Just a bunch of guys talikng about their love for Polk speakers. I haven't posted for a long time. Thought I would check the forum out for some info on the Legend series, didn't know there would be all this bickering...

Well, not really. Compared to today it was more like the wild west back then.

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    F1nut wrote: »

You just proved John's point as you truly have no idea what you're talking about.......NONE!!!

1kam0ivw2fcr.gif
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • K_M
    edited October 2019

I do know ONE thing. You and "John" seem to post simultaneously one after another every time I post something.
    Are you joined to his posterior or something?

If my math is wrong correct it......
    If Polk saying the L800 would be their ultimate speaker ever was wrong, cite a source

Otherwise STFU, and troll someone else.

• F1nut

I do know ONE thing. You and "John" seem to post simultaneously one after another every time I post something.
    Are you joined to his posterior or something?

If my math is wrong correct it......
    If Polk saying the L800 would be their ultimate speaker ever was wrong, cite a source

Otherwise STFU, and troll someone else.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Yeah, your math is way off. Give it some serious thought and maybe it'll come to you.......maybe not.

President of Club Polk

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited October 2019
    Does the 15" PR not count since it's not active?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • K_M
    edited October 2019
    Nightfall wrote: »

No does not count.
    One could make ANY size passive radiator (within the limits of the speaker box size) or even add 3-4 radiators, and it would not increase the actual surface area of the driven speakers at all.
    The mass of the radiator along with the box size, determine box tuning frequency, and the larger the radiator, it simply moves less.

Passive radiator is equal to a vented box.
    The vent is fairly small but moves an equal volume of air, but over a larger distance.

• FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    if my math is wrong correct it......
    I'm too lazy to check your math. However as you allude using multiple drivers to cover the same bandwidth increases the available volume displacement, because of the increased surface area. Also the excursion demands of each driver will be reduced so distortion will be reduced as well. Driver distortion goes up proportional with greater excursion due to non linear voice coil/magnet motor structures. Driver voice coil /motor design has improved considerably since the original SDA's so excursion generated distortion is not as much of an issue.
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,099
    Wow! I joined this forum about 18 years ago. Just a bunch of guys talikng about their love for Polk speakers. I haven't posted for a long time. Thought I would check the forum out for some info on the Legend series, didn't know there would be all this bickering...

It is sad to see so much public shaming.
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    edited October 2019

Please explain the driver dimensions you used to calculate radiating areas. Was it the nominal diameter of the driver, the diameter of the cone (excluding surround), or a conic surface?

I think it's just common sense and goes without saying that the L800 is superior to all the older (stock) SDA speakers. However, it is also common sense and goes without saying that larger SDA speakers with the same technology and build quality of the L800 would outperform the L800, just as the 2.3TL and 1.2TL outperformed the 3.1TL.

My previous comment wondering if Polk might come out with larger SDAs relates to the fact that, for my two channel system, I am not interested in an SDA speaker the size of the SDA 1C or SDA 3.1TL. I would be very interested in a modern version of my SDA 1.2TLs.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,408
    edited October 2019
    Nightfall wrote: »

No does not count.
    One could make ANY size passive radiator (within the limits of the speaker box size) or even add 3-4 radiators, and it would not increase the actual surface area of the driven speakers at all.
    The mass of the radiator along with the box size, determine box tuning frequency, and the larger the radiator, it simply moves less.

Passive radiator is equal to a vented box.
    The vent is fairly small but moves an equal volume of air, but over a larger distance.

I totally agree here!

Kidding.

Im sure Polk used two 10" woofer to keep the cost down. Using an array of mids would have added size and cost. Besides I think the "magic" in the L800 technology is in the other attributes.

Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Well, since no one has heard these speakers everything is speculation. So, rather than arguing, we should just take it all in stride, and wait until they are being used before trying to argue against an opinion.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited October 2019
    audioluvr wrote: »

Im sure Polk used two 10" woofer to keep the cost down. Using an array of mids would have added size and cost. Besides I think the "magic" in the L800 technology is in the other attributes.
    The 800 is actually 3way vs previous SDA's which were 2 ways. Since the woofers will not have to reproduce the mid band it makes sense to use larger high excursion capable drivers for the bass range.
  • nooshinjohn
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Well, since no one has heard these speakers everything is speculation. So, rather than arguing, we should just take it all in stride, and wait until they are being used before trying to argue against an opinion.

Except when that opinion is completely rooted in BS...

• F1nut
    I've heard them.

President of Club Polk

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,408
    edited October 2019
    I've heard them.

lucky fu**ker!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • stones89
    stones89 Posts: 229
    Geoff4rfc wrote: »

It is sad to see so much public shaming.

It really is a turnoff...
    Basis 2200 Signature, Vector 4, Transfiguration Proteus, Allnic H3000, Meridian 200/563, CJ ET5, McIntosh 501's, Thiel CS6, 3.6, Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl, MIT EVO, KS/Wywires PC's
  • mpitogo
    mpitogo Posts: 475
    When are the L800’s shipping? Has anyone gotten theirs yet?
    • Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Air USB to DAC
    • Media Room Ht-7.2.6/13.1 (Atmos/Auro-3D) Polk LSiM707, LSiM706c, LSiM702 F/X [x4], height LSiM703 [x6], HSU VTF-15H MK2 Dual | Marantz AV8805A | Rotel RB-1590 (L/R) | Appollon NC500 11ch | Sony UBP-X800 | AppleTV 4K | JVC RS2100
    • Game Room-5.1 Polk LSi25, LSiC, LSiF/X | Marantz SR7009 | AppleTV 4K | Xbox One S | Sony PS2, PS3 | Nintendo Wii | Gaming PC | Sony 75" LCD
    • Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10 | SONY PS-HX500
    • Office-2.0 Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX, DSW microPRO3000 | Rotel RA-1570 | Marantz HD-CD1
    • Daughter's Bedroom 1-2.0 TBD Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 2-2.0 Klipsch RP-600M | Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 3-3.0 Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Apple TV | Samsung 55" TV
    • Guest Room 4-2.0 QAcoustics 3030i | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080 | TV
    • Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine
  • K_M wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I've got no problem with large loudspeakers, but some of those old SDAs just have/had ...

too many drivers :|

The idea back then was to use several low cost drivers, and hopefully equal one much larger more expensive woofer.
    But lobing and dispersion issues were not at the top of the agenda back then nor as well thought out.

Ive had people see our "Big" sdas and ask why 8 small woofers, instead of maybe 2 10" woofers......not sure, maybe they got a better deal on bulk 6.5" woofers... :D

Another clueless post from someone that doesn’t know what they are talking about....

Posts like this are what are turning me off to the Polk forum. I'm a firm believer in what my parents taught me over half a century ago. "If you haven't got something nice to say, don't say anything at all." So with that in mind, let me finish this post by saying...nothing at all!
    McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • K_M
    mark090852 wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I've got no problem with large loudspeakers, but some of those old SDAs just have/had ...

too many drivers :|

The idea back then was to use several low cost drivers, and hopefully equal one much larger more expensive woofer.
    But lobing and dispersion issues were not at the top of the agenda back then nor as well thought out.

Ive had people see our "Big" sdas and ask why 8 small woofers, instead of maybe 2 10" woofers......not sure, maybe they got a better deal on bulk 6.5" woofers... :D

Another clueless post from someone that doesn’t know what they are talking about....

Posts like this are what are turning me off to the Polk forum. I'm a firm believer in what my parents taught me over half a century ago. "If you haven't got something nice to say, don't say anything at all." So with that in mind, let me finish this post by saying...nothing at all!

There are a few in the forum, from what many have told me, are "Fanboys" of the older SDA speakers.

Their opinions are often rooted in some facts, a lot of sales literature explanations, and the idea that nothing can better the vintage SDA speakers in any regard.

As if speaker technology was at it's Apex in 1988, and only available to Polk audio engineers.

When anyone mentions something a bit less biased about these speakers (even owners of them such as me) they take it as somehow personally insulting their choice of the greatest speaker ever made.

I own 2 pair, and really like them, but I guess never saw them as the epitome of a great high fidelity speaker, but more as a very good sounding speaker in some regards, but for sure one made to a "cost", and one that could be improved with higher priced and better drivers.

The rude part and the name calling seems to be based (partially) on lacking a true fundamental understanding of speaker technology and design, and a few other factors, and not being able to articulate a different view or being able to accept that not all agree they are the greatest thing ever.

I see the same handful of guys in other forums, trying to convince everyone the old SDA speakers are "Super great" and so on.

Mostly a fanboy reaction, that due to lack of moderation on this forum, has bloomed into a group of guys that bash on anyone that dares to not share their speaker views.

Maybe I got some of it wrong, but I agree they bring the forum "down" often.