Possible power outage for next two days

Comments

• Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,893
    Make sure your checkbook is ready and well cooled so that it doesn’t overheat.

They won’t tell you that your lawsuit is frivolous in the extreme until AFTER you pay them. Depends on how good they are, but the lawyers I frequent charge about $1,000/hr.
    Alea jacta est!
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Kex wrote: »
    Make sure your checkbook is ready and well cooled so that it doesn’t overheat.

They won’t tell you that your lawsuit is frivolous in the extreme until AFTER you pay them. Depends on how good they are, but the lawyers I frequent charge about $1,000/hr.

Not to change the subject but why are you frequenting lawyers? I mean like if you said brothels I would understand but lawyers, that's pretty freaky.
  • Kex
    edited October 2019
    Thank you, I get all that I need at home for that. Anyone frequenting brothels is a total loser in the game of life IMO.

I only frequent lawyers as friends and acquaintances.
    Alea jacta est!
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Thank you, I get all that I need at home for that. Anyone frequenting brothels is a total loser in the game of life IMO.

We're not all beautiful and personable like you.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Deltadon
    Deltadon Posts: 94
    edited October 2019
    Once again. These are guidelines. Nowhere does it state that a utility can be required by law to shut off power.

To mitigate against wildfires, the law has authorized the use of de-energization otherwise known as Public Safety Power Shutoff (PSPS) by the utilities. This is a mutually agreed upon method of mitigation.

This is included in the utility's plan which is mandated by law and approved by the commission. The utility's compliance with this plan is assessed by a independent evaluator. The commission shall assess penalties on the utility that fails to substantially comply with its plan.

So if a utility doesn't use PSPS and a wildfire subsequently occurs, well guess what happens to the utility? So in his situation, the utility is more likely than not to use PSPS to minimize risks.
  • Kex
    Once again... the utility makes the decision, not the PUC.
    Alea jacta est!
  • Kex
    Nightfall wrote: »
    We're not all beautiful and personable like you.
    Is this true? Why was I not informed?! 😂 👍
    Alea jacta est!
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    BlueFox wrote: »
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Here in Northern CA it is fire season, and our power company has caused some major fires the last few years. Since they are being sued, and have declared bankruptcy due to those fires they are into overkill trying to not start anymore fires. So, at midnight they are shutting off power to quite a large area, and millions of people, for two days. I am right on the edge of the cutoff zone, and not sure if I will be affected or not. To be on the safe side I am listening to the stereo, and drinking beer tonight.

Well, as of Saturday evening PG&E is saying 99% of power has been restored. They say that the lines have to be inspected before power can be restored, and they can only be inspected during the day. If this is going to be the new practice during fire season then they need to come up with an automated line inspection method so they can quickly restore power.

Inspectors are hard at work as we speak...

vezi2czz36k0.jpeg
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• afterburnt

You have a selection of women of easy vitue at home, can I come over?
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    Burnt, no offense but you would be right at home in Waste Virgina.

Where are you moving when you leave CA?

W.Va. would be cool. General Yeager and Randy Moss are from there! I am just going to Arizona though.

The only good things that ever came from Arizona are Barry Goldwater and Toni Tennille.

If not WVA, I think you'd like Vermont. You'd fit right in. :|

• Kex wrote: »
    Once again... the utility makes the decision, not the PUC.

What you fail to understand is that they really don't have a choice.
    They are not in a position to do otherwise under the conditions they are in.
  • Kex
    You can argue all you like, but the facts are that the utility makes the decision. No regulation or law can force them to cut power or prevent them from clearing brush under their power lines. They did so only to avoid further liability. They declared bankruptcy to avoid liability (seems fairly reasonable), and then tried to pay out $130M in bonuses anyway, which the courts blocked. The CEO continues to draw $2.5M per year in salary, augmented by stock options.

The utility is clearly to blame, it would seem, for the current woes. SDG&E has done a much better job since the Witch fire in 2007. Other utilities could have learned the same lessons from their example, but failed to do so. Now they must face the music.

California will solve this problem, and the discussion will be very different in a year or two, but in the meantime, we must live through this mess.
    Alea jacta est!
  • afterburnt
    la2vegas wrote: »

That's a below the waist question. To be expected by...

you still mad cause I said the Raiders suck? This oughtta really trigger you!3522622zcqxt.jpg
  • Kex
    edited October 2019

Pun intended?! 😂

I only need the one damsel in residence (and not only is she definitely off limits, but being of a sporty inclination, she can take down any man with her bare hands, if the need arises). If you choose the right one, such is the way of things.
    Alea jacta est!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704

You mean you have to buy friends and acquaintances to the tune of a grand a pop!?! How sad.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Kex
    edited October 2019
    No actually... we frequent each other for mutual pleasure, mostly involving food and wine, oh... and conversation, of course. It’s a concept you should try. Very compatible with good music to boot.
    Alea jacta est!
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Why is it that people no longer use the word "frequent" in proper context?
  • afterburnt
    Viking64 wrote: »
    Why is it that people no longer use the word "frequent" in proper context?

"I frequently have to buy the ol lady context when she is on the rag"
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Everything is back to normal in Northern CA, but I guess it is still a fiery mess in Southern CA. Turns out that the wind did cause some incidents up here that resulted in down power lines. However, since the power was off there were no fires. Of course, it is unknown whether there would have been a fire if the power was still on. The discussion now is if it was necessary to kill power in such a large area, or if it could have been a smaller area. Anyway, since the climate is changing and each year there will be less rain, and a longer fire season, we need to change how power is distributed to lessen the impact of these shut offs.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    You can frequent a bar or a restaurant, but you can't frequent your friends. What a fu(king dumba$$. :p
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Seven pages of this stuff, and @BlueFox didn’t even have to sacrifice a single night of beer or listening pleasure. I’m actually rather jealous that he is able to find that much time to just listen and enjoy on such wonderful equipment...

That is until you find out what he is listening to....

j/k Bud - couldn't resist :smiley:
  • afterburnt
    Viking64 wrote: »
    You can frequent a bar or a restaurant, but you can't frequent your friends. What a fu(king dumba$$. :p

It depends how old they are, if you try to frequent me I will belt you one but in a few years I will probably have to roll over and take it. Then we won't be friends.
  • afterburnt
    edited October 2019

Pun intended?! 😂

I only need the one damsel in residence (and not only is she definitely off limits, but being of a sporty inclination, she can take down any man with her bare hands, if the need arises). If you choose the right one, such is the way of things.

In God we trust, personally I prefer to pay in cash instead of houses. And I don't want no woman that can whoop my **** because that cost extra.
  • charley95
    charley95 Posts: 908
    tonyb wrote: »
    charley95 wrote: »
    It must be jealousy. There’s no other reason to explain such an unhealthy fascination with, hatred of California

I don't think anyone here hates California, it's the scumbags that run the state!
    charley95 wrote: »
    It must be jealousy. There’s no other reason to explain such an unhealthy fascination with, hatred of California

I don't think anyone here hates California, it's the scumbags that run the state!

...and make their policy and laws, but that's swinging into politics which we should avoid.

Unfortunately one would think that when it comes to these sort of things, politics/agendas should take a back seat to fixing the problem first.

If California wants federal money to fix this, then in my opinion at least show some good faith in doing everything you can on your own first. Make an effort...because on the face, they are asking for everyone else to help pay, while they hand out free stuff left and right.

Is that asking too much ? I don't think so....and certainly California isn't the only state asking such things.

It's the lack of logic to pursue agendas. You and I have it here in Illinois too. I just can't tell ya how bad Peoria is falling apart. People are leaving here left and right. Homeowners received a notice last week the we're on the hook for $35 a year to fund the lagging city pension fund. Roads here are some of the worst in the state and we're spending a million bucks for solar for the park district.

Last year the city spent 300 plus grand for a consulting company to tell us what roads are bad. It's like remodeling your whole home inside and yet the roof still leaks.
  • charley95
    charley95 Posts: 908

Knew a guy years back that didn't frequent them but visited one maybe once or twice a month. Told me it was cheaper than his previous wife. In my eyes he was a WINNER monetarily! :D
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Yea it's schittshow. I can't believe they hooked you up to pay for the pensions that you already paid for ....aaagain. I'm sure many more will be doing the same thing soon.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Let’s see:

1) The state of California really doesn’t care about the people who actually live some place with an address and actually pays taxes.
    2) The power companies don’t realize that there could be high winds, even though that this has only occurred regularly for at least the last 1,000 years.
    3) Since high winds have occurred the last 1,000 years, clearing away stuff that can burn isn’t really necessary, because it probably will never happen again.
    4) The people who live in California are generally nice, but they’re complete morons for voting for people who have made this situation possible.
    5) Aferburnt hates everybody and maybe 20 people can tolerate him. Haven’t actually seen an actual poll on this, just a guess.
    6) Bluefox didn’t need a go fund me account, because the steaks survived the power shut downs

I think looking at the big picture, Bluefox should crank up the music, get some adult beverages of his choice, build a fire and cook some steaks, whilegnoring every law, rule, and regulation that says he can’t do it.

I’ll chip in 20 for the new go fund me account.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    rpf65 wrote: »
    5) Aferburnt hates everybody and maybe 20 people can tolerate him. Haven’t actually seen an actual poll on this, just a guess.

I don't care what anyone says about afterburnt, dude can be pretty funny sometimes.
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    ^^ Don’t misunderstand, I think I’m number 19.