Possible power outage for next two days

Options

Comments

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Tried to go to the grocery store not far from here. However, a bit down the road power is still off and I didn’t feel like dealing with traffic issues on the way there, assuming Safeway is even open. I can’t believe my neighborhood still has power. Hope my luck extends to the lottery Saturday night. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • charley95
    charley95 Posts: 908
    Options
    I read somewhere that standby generators aren't allowed in CA... Is that BS?

I wonder if they let ya EAT BABIES! :D:D It would help the environment.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    Options
    @BlueFox did you notice higher levels of performance in your system due to so much of the grid being turned off?
  • BlueFox
    Options
    Good question, but no idea. I only listen to my stereo on Tuesday, Friday, and Saturday nights.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    Options
    Well that doesn't make a damn bit of sense.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    Could be the only days he could get a permit to suck all that power off the grid.
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »

I only listen to my stereo for 10.345 minutes every 4th day of the lunar cycle BUT only whenever it is the winter solstice on a leap year....nah mean?

I kid I kid!
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,582
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »

ummm have you met Bud ?? Through all the suds and fog It might be hard for him to tell :D:D:D

• BlueFox
    Options
    I only listen to my stereo when I can spend 6-8 hours, or more, of dedicated listening time. I turn it on in the morning so it will be warmed up when I start around 6 PM. When I was working I only listened Friday/Saturday night. Now that I am retired I added Tuesday night to the mix. If you have a problem with that then too bad.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,582
    Options
    Just having some fun Bud, Russ hasn't been around sooooo...
  • BlueFox
    Options
    No problem. I was talking to others.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    No problem. I was talking to others.

You've been fiesty lately. ;)

Glad you werent without power though, I'd hate to be in that position.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,939
    Options
    Of course he's feisty!

The power might go off tomorrow, and it's Friday... which is a listening day :s
    Alea jacta est!
  • BlueFox
    Options
    That would irritate me. :)

On a serious note, PG&E has made a lot of people really mad with their preemptive shutdowns. We will see if anything results from the anger.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,759
    edited October 2019
    Options
    5 days is pretty crazy. A generator is one of those purchases that IMO, has justification to sit in a corner of a garage or shed unused for a year or 2. This is without questioning if it was "worth the purchase because we don't use it."....it just gets a free pass.

I've preached that to a few relatives that have had to dump the contents of their fridge a couple times a year.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    tonyb wrote: »
    It gets a little drier and hotter in (much of) California than it does in Chicago.

Doesn't matter Doc, it's the wind that supposedly is knocking down the wires onto the dry ground. Since we can't control the weather, we can control how stable we built towers to hold those lines. Make sense ?

If you bury the lines, yeah it's gonna cost more, but you still have earthquakes to contend with....and they get a few from time to time.

And the whole point -- dry ground in CA is not like dry ground in IL.

Yes, that is the point, so should those lines be held to a more stringent and secure tower than the Midwest....or less ?

...and because the ground is drier, should the forest floors be cleaned up a little better, or not ?

2 common sense things that can be done without having to invest hundreds of billions of dollars.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    It gets a little drier and hotter in (much of) California than it does in Chicago.

Doesn't matter Doc, it's the wind that supposedly is knocking down the wires onto the dry ground. Since we can't control the weather, we can control how stable we built towers to hold those lines. Make sense ?

If you bury the lines, yeah it's gonna cost more, but you still have earthquakes to contend with....and they get a few from time to time.

And the whole point -- dry ground in CA is not like dry ground in IL.

Yes, that is the point, so should those lines be held to a more stringent and secure tower than the Midwest....or less ?

...and because the ground is drier, should the forest floors be cleaned up a little better, or not ?

2 common sense things that can be done without having to invest hundreds of billions of dollars.

This is California you're talking about. To clear land and upgrade power lines will require permits and environmental review. Once all that is done then someone will sue to stop it.

SDG&E was going to install a underground line from AZ to San Diego after all the court battles they put it in above ground.

When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    well its on fire anyway
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,101
    Options
    The first house Nooshin and I made an offer on is in the burn area... thank god we are twenty miles southwest, but the smoke here is really bad right now. My eyes are burning.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options
    afterburnt wrote: »
    well its on fire anyway

It's been on fire for weeks, now.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Kex
    Options
    The first house Nooshin and I made an offer on is in the burn area... thank god we are twenty miles southwest, but the smoke here is really bad right now. My eyes are burning.
    I’ve been worried about you ;) especially with the young heir apparent in residence (which is not a joking matter).

Good choice about the house, though... where you are is a much better market than Sylmar or Porter Ranch IME, heck, you could even be an ersatz Kardashian if you wanted to be! :D

100K residents under evacuation orders. Bud should be faring a lot better up north (and today is music day!): only 300K still without power up his way.
    Alea jacta est!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    With the dry conditions and Santa Ana winds, flipping a cigarette bu tt out the window can start a fire. Reasons for the current fires is still unknown.

Can't bring any lawsuits from individual carelessness, but you big companies.....you got lots of cash and insurance policies.

Can't blame everything on the power companies. The state has to bear some responsibility and do everything within it's power to keep these fires at a minimal. Can anyone honestly say they are doing just that ? I don't think so....
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • BlueFox
    Options
    Everything is fine here, except for trying to get Social Security straightened out. Stereo is warming up, and the beer is cold.

Good luck to all down south

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    except for trying to get Social Security straightened out......

Lol.... bout that... don’t think that will happen even in my lifetime
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options

I would say come one down to Chula Vista. We just had a small fire just east of me, no real danger home owners with pool pumps slowed it till CVFD came. Now the smell is in the air.
    With the dry conditions and Santa Ana winds, flipping a cigarette bu tt out the window can start a fire. Reasons for the current fires is still unknown.

Can't bring any lawsuits from individual carelessness, but you big companies.....you got lots of cash and insurance policies.

Can't blame everything on the power companies. The state has to bear some responsibility and do everything within it's power to keep these fires at a minimal. Can anyone honestly say they are doing just that ? I don't think so....

I 1000% agree Tony. There is a lot the state can do but don't any more. controlled burns. 1/2 mile wide bulldozed fire breaks more fire roads lift restrictions on clearing private land so on and so on.

There is a lot of greatness to Cal but in the last 20 years it has changed for the worse.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,101
    Options
    Brad Sherman shoe-horned himself into the press conference saying the Fed is 75% responsible for picking up the tab and patted himself on the back for voting for aerial tankers and helicopters. He was actually smiling on camera most of the time while lives are at risk and homes burn... what a putz.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • BlueFox
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Sounds like a professional politician. Who is Brad Sherman?

My apologies for sidetracking the thread.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Kex
    Options
    I don’t know much about him, but he’s the congressman for the San Fernando Valley, where the fires are located. He’s not my congressman.

Brad Sherman (Wikipedia)
    Alea jacta est!
  • BlueFox
    Options
    Thanks. While there are fires up here, none are in the Bay Area. PG&E has really P.O.ed a lot of people by shutting down the power. On the other hand, if their power lines did cause problems like in the last two years then another group of people would be P.O.ed.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • huggies
    huggies Posts: 149
    Options
    I skipped the previous 4 pages of posts, so if I repeat something already said, forgive me.
    PG&E is not really to blame here, Comifornia is though. Over the top environmental laws make it impossible for PG&E to maintain all those power line right of ways. Endangered fauna, mammals, invertebrate, insects, mammals, etc, etc... make it illegal for them to clear many of these areas. The outrageous laws also make PG&E liable if a tree branch 1/4 mile away hits a power line then causes a fire. Following is a rather long explanation on why a 2 day wind event can turn into a week or longer power outage due to the laws in California.

PSPS is the acronym for “Public Safety Power Shutoff”.
    New Ca law (enacted by PUC and signed by Gov Newsome) REQUIRES utilities (ALL, not just PG&E) to de-energize areas that face severe wind threat/ fire risk.
    This has the Doppler effect of potentially impacting huge swaths of the State if that threat impacts a “Transmission” (500/230KV) Tower corridor(s).
    When that level of shut off is enacted, you don’t just flip a switch back on. The law requires PG&E to physically/visually inspect every single piece of equipment (down voltage) of the shut down BEFORE it can be re-energized. This means every tower, line, transformer, pad apparatus, substation, pole, reclosure, etc.
    This is why a 2 day event can potentially keep areas dark for several days after the threat has passed. It is a MASSIVE man hrs. labor intensive process on 24/7 overtime staffing.
    PG&E loses HUGE $$ when this is enacted as thousands of meters are not spinning and the labor cost to comply is huge. They don’t want to do these. They are legally mandated to now. This is the arrangement that was brokered through the PUC to balance the conflicting liability/service reliability laws. It is all driven because of California’s “Inverse Condemnation” liability conflict with PUC’s previous fining of the Company based on outage reliability.
    Prior, power shut off or outage = fine. Leave it on, and have ANY% role in a fire= 100% liability.
    If a limb 1/4 mile away blew into a transmission line and brought down hot conductor starting a fire?
    PG&E liable. No such thing as “Act of God” factored.
    No other State in the Nation has these asinine conflicts of law.

So, to make this real. This is analogous to you knowing your daughter MAY have a bad hair dryer. Until she leaves, you shut your house main off. Now, by law, before you can flip the main switch back on, you must hire an electrician to inspect (and document) every breaker below your main, every wire in your attic, every wall switch, every outlet, etc. Then, you must one by one phase in all your breakers so you don’t shock load the system, then you have to go back and program all your digital electronics.

Multiply this by 50K square miles.