Cary SLP-05 in Verb's House!

Comments

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    jumpindick wrote: »
    verb wrote: »
    kharp1 wrote: »
    Man, first thing, get rid of those stock tubes. I've never heard one of those that I liked. I had problems with the AE pre (Cary) and it was a bad tube. I think they're junk.

Kerry my man the first thing is to get it up and running again! :) The Electro Harmonix is a set of known good tubes, an extra set from Dhavel, so I can rule that out. I had Sophia Electrics in there previously.

Next step is to get a known good rectifier tube. Thanks again to @GlennDog as he and I will connect tomorrow. I've also got another one coming from Tube Amp Doctors.

Then, if all is well, I've certainly been looking for some better tubes to roll into it! :)

If you trouble shoot the issue, and then roll in some good quality tubes, would you still look to do the "ultimate" upgrade? I am not so sure if it would make that big of a difference overall. But then, may be it would. Those tubes can be expensive as you would need at least six of them....

Hey Dhavel - Most likely. For sure if I have to send it in for repair! :)
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I know you want to get it up and figure it out but I'm with Kerry on this one. Chinese and Russian tubes do not stand on the same ground as 40's, 50's and 60's 6sn7 tubes. Our tubes were much better hands down. Raytheon, Sylvania, Tung-Sol, GE, CBS, Hytron and RCA are much superior to anything Russian or Chinese. If you want to run lesser tubes in the headphone side and the better tubes in the better 2 channel circuit that is understandable to keep cost down at first. I think you'll be surprised how much better sound you may get.
    I'll recommend plentiful Sylvania 6sn7gtb chrome domes that can be very reasonable. The Baldwin organ tubes are under the radar.
    My favorites are the earlier gt's and Micanol based 6sn7 wgta's just too many great tubes to be had.

The 5692's are super smooth and quiet but very pricey. Play your cards right and be patient you can score pairs for about 130.00-150.00. I've scored two pairs that tested as new for less than 100$ a pair

Hey Ivan - I too am with Kerry! Patience is the key, and one step at a time! The Sophia Electrics were, well, the only 6SN7 tubes I've ever known. Once up and running, as always I'll seek advice from my friends here.

And maybe, just maybe, my dear friend @GlennDog just may want to part with some of his stash! :)
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Check the socket pins on all of the tube sockets. That was one of the problems I had.
  • verb
    kharp1 wrote: »
    Check the socket pins on all of the tube sockets. That was one of the problems I had.

Thanks Kerry! Will do!
  • verb
    So today, I received a new rectifier tube from a company called Tube Amp Doctors. Never heard of em before, but they're based out of Germany, and they claim this tube was actually manufactured in Germany.

Price was right, so I snagged it.

drtpqd15kgk0.png
    mqzdhlqd1dbp.png

Anyone have experience with this company? Like I said, never heard of em, or them mentioned here on CP.
  • verb
    edited September 2019
    Ok here comes the moment of truth. If this fails, well, then you know. :cry:

Popped this baby in, replaced yet another fuse (#6), powered it on. So far so good. Now turn the pre-amp on. This baby glows!

isf3cjfucwox.png

Ok, the meters on the power supply are working. Waiting for the ready light to turn red on the pre-amp. Tick tick tick. :)

nhmfpbf9312v.png
    She lives! Ready light came on! Woo Hoo! :)

I'm gonna let it run for a while, put it through some power on/off cycles, before I button it up. But, whew, what drama! :smile: Not over yet, but so far so good! :)
  • verb
    edited September 2019
    As a side note, Cary service e-mailed me today cause it's been a week since we last connected. Talk about customer service! :) Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to give them a good report!
  • It is interesting to find the rectifier tube that "loose". Especially if the preamp is stagnant in one place, how would the tube be that loose... Anyhow, seems that you might just have found the solution. Enjoy.
  • verb
    It is interesting to find the rectifier tube that "loose". Especially if the preamp is stagnant in one place, how would the tube be that loose... Anyhow, seems that you might just have found the solution. Enjoy.

Thanks Dhavel! :)
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    Glad you have it back in working order. Such a horrible feeling when you blow a fuse,...then another....then another! Now, you can plan the ultimate upgrade on your own terms.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Man that is a massive R-core transformer.
  • verb
    Man that is a massive R-core transformer.

Ok Ivan, getting my read on. R-Core transformers! :)
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Glad it worked out for you, my customer experience with Cary wasn't nearly as good. Now, to start tube rolling.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    edited September 2019
    I’m glad it was such an easy fix. 👍🏼
    But just like fuses, it’s always best to have a couple spare tubes on hand… It’s nice to have 20/20 hindsight. Isn’t it? 😆
    If you trouble shoot the issue, and then roll in some good quality tubes, would you still look to do the "ultimate" upgrade? I am not so sure if it would make that big of a difference overall. But then, may be it would. Those tubes can be expensive as you would need at least six of them....

I’m no Cary expert, but if you’re using balanced/XLR cables out to your amp, you only need 2 nice NOS tubes in position #3 & 6

Positions #1, 2, 4 & 5 would be for tubes and RCA connections

Dave, try to get your hands on some NOS Ken Rads. They’ll deliver bass in spades!

Edit: with that said, Joey do you still have those Popes? I’ll put them to good use, I promise. PM me if you have any interest in parting with them
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • verb
    GlennDog wrote: »
    I’m glad it was such an easy fix. 👍🏼
    But just like fuses, it’s always best to have a couple spare tubes on hand… It’s nice to have 20/20 hindsight. Isn’t it? 😆

I’m no Cary expert, but if you’re using balanced/XLR cables out to your amp, you only need 2 nice NOS tubes in position #3 & 6

Positions #1, 2, 4 & 5 would be for tubes and RCA connections

Dave, try to get your hands on some NOS Ken Rads. They’ll deliver bass in spades!

Edit: with that said, Joey do you still have those Popes? I’ll put them to good use, I promise. PM me if you have any interest in parting with them

Watcha got in that stash of yours, Dog? :)
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    Just say’n the Popes have a legendary status. I don’t (personally) know if they deliver on that, tho

and ‘bout any NOS will out-do EH . . . Unfortunately, the NOS tubes are not inexpensive. Worst case scenario you need 4. There’s a few reliable sources out there

I wouldn’t hesitate recommending Andy or the ”mad Russian” (my nickname)

http://vintagetubeservices.com/octal-tubes/

https://www.nostubestore.com/search/label/6SN7GT/6SN7WGT/5692/B65/VT-231
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • verb
    Just say’n the Popes have a legendary status. I don’t (personally) know if they deliver on that, tho

and ‘bout any NOS will out-do EH . . . Unfortunately, the NOS tubes are not inexpensive. Worst case scenario you need 4. There’s a few reliable sources out there

Thanks Dog! BTW what are you running currently?
  • verb
    I know you want to get it up and figure it out but I'm with Kerry on this one. Chinese and Russian tubes do not stand on the same ground as 40's, 50's and 60's 6sn7 tubes. Our tubes were much better hands down. Raytheon, Sylvania, Tung-Sol, GE, CBS, Hytron and RCA are much superior to anything Russian or Chinese. If you want to run lesser tubes in the headphone side and the better tubes in the better 2 channel circuit that is understandable to keep cost down at first. I think you'll be surprised how much better sound you may get.
    I'll recommend plentiful Sylvania 6sn7gtb chrome domes that can be very reasonable. The Baldwin organ tubes are under the radar.
    My favorites are the earlier gt's and Micanol based 6sn7 wgta's just too many great tubes to be had.

The 5692's are super smooth and quiet but very pricey. Play your cards right and be patient you can score pairs for about 130.00-150.00. I've scored two pairs that tested as new for less than 100$ a pair

Thanks Ivan! I've looked at the Sylvania, the Baldwin is interesting too. And, yes, fairly inexpensive!

BTW any spare quads you'd like to part with? :)
  • pitdogg2
    Never discount the early GE tubes as they were made in the same plant on the same tooling as the KenRads plant code is 188-5 Kentucky plant. The 188-20 tube code will be New York plant
    Learn your tube and date codes as you can find sleepers that are the same tube but branded differently.
    Get your read on

KenRad 6SN7GT
    Also JAN-CKR-6SN7GT
    KenRad stood for ‘Kentucky Radio’. KenRad was bought by GE around the mid-1940s and ceased to exist as a brand name by the early 1950s. Military tube boxes from the 1940s are labeled with “KenRad, Division of General Electric Corp”. The construction of this tube is identical to the KenRad VT-231 tube (both clear and black glass).

VT-231 us just a military inventory code it was never a actual tube designation. It actually just meant Vacuum Tube 231. Likewise JAN tubes are " Joint Army Navy"

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-6sn7-identification-guide.209782/

https://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=230932

Lots out there.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    edited September 2019
    I'd keep the Sophia tubes in there because they're just so gorgeous. :blush:

Glad your flagship preamp is back in business Dave.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Cool bro, glad she's up and running.

Still, did you wind up checking those socket pins ? I don't see how a bad tube would blow a fuse. Has to be something creating a short somewhere to keep blowing fuses.

All the tube gear I've ever had, when a tube goes south it sounds horrible or just doesn't work at all, but never blew a fuse because of it. Could just be the Cary design, I dunno.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • verb
    Good point Tony. Before I button her up, I’ll check the socket for sure!
  • pitdogg2
    tonyb wrote: »
    Cool bro, glad she's up and running.

Still, did you wind up checking those socket pins ? I don't see how a bad tube would blow a fuse. Has to be something creating a short somewhere to keep blowing fuses.

If the Rectifier tube developed a short could it not toast fuses? I know when they test tubes they also test for shorts within the tube on some testers. Send Aaron @ALL212 a PM see if his tester can test the tube and if it test's for shorts. I'd find a way to test because I'd want to know if it was the tube then all those thoughts of what if are a little less.

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505

Still have the Popes... can't get rid of them as it took me forever to acquire 6 of them.

Hahaha

Plus, I am thinking of trying the Cary 05 Ultimate...
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    Joey_V wrote: »

Still have the Popes... can't get rid of them as it took me forever to acquire 6 of them.

Hahaha

Plus, I am thinking of trying the Cary 05 Ultimate...

I would just need two.

Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • verb
    How do the Pope's compare to the Ken-Rad's?
  • verb
    So today is Day2. Ran the Cary for a few hours last night, went through a couple of power on cycles. After work today, turned it on, and so far so good!

My level of anxiety is diminishing greatly! :)

And I responded back to Cary service with the good, but tentative, news!
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,138
    Verb I will pull out the Ken rads that I have in a box. I can send them to you to try.
  • verb
    WagnerRC wrote: »
    Verb I will pull out the Ken rads that I have in a box. I can send them to you to try.

Wow! Thank you so much! Man I love this forum! :)