Cary SLP-05 in Verb's House!

Comments

• nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 21,609
    verb wrote: »
    Do you have extra tubes on hand?

PM sent.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-LX701, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
  • verbverb Posts: 8,274
    Do you have extra tubes on hand?

Yup. Full compliment of Electro Harmonix. And 8 fuses left! :smile:

You got me thinking John. Can’t hurt for sure. Swap the tubes to a baseline set of known “good” tubes.

Especially after all the drama I went through on the VTL! In that case it turned out to be a bad tube.

I guess I’m still a tube newbie! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Cary SLP-05 Pre, Enlightened Audio Designs CD Transport, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Digital Cable, Marantz SA-14 SACD, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, Wireworld Oasis 8 RCA IC's, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, PASS ACA Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: , Antique Sound Labs Wave AV-8 Monoblocks, Tisbury Mini Passive Pre, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    So I just have to say that Cary's customer support is very good.

Received an email response this morning, after sending one to them on Saturday, when all the drama started.

I forgot, or didn't realize, that the power supply unit also has a tube in it! A 5AR4 rectifier tube in fact. They recommended swapping that one out too. Now, just to acquire one, as I don't have any spares (yet) :)

And, he asked which fuse blew, as there are 2 on the back, to better identify which part of the pre circuit may be the issue.

Bottom line is they are willing to work with me in trying to troubleshoot the issue, without having to automatically send the unit in.

Got some homework to do, along with @nooshinjohn 's suggestion to swap out the other 63N7 tubes, one by one, to see if any of those tubes may be the culprit!

In the meantime, rocking the VTL! :)
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Cary SLP-05 Pre, Enlightened Audio Designs CD Transport, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Digital Cable, Marantz SA-14 SACD, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, Wireworld Oasis 8 RCA IC's, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, PASS ACA Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: , Antique Sound Labs Wave AV-8 Monoblocks, Tisbury Mini Passive Pre, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
  • SIHABSIHAB Posts: 1,592
    Good luck verb. This doesn't sound like very much fun. :/
    I was just checking out the PH 302 MKII today...
  • WagnerRCWagnerRC Posts: 1,973
    Cary support is very good. Very close to Pass Labs.

Keep us informed.
    SIHAB wrote: »
    Good luck verb. This doesn't sound like very much fun. :/
    I was just checking out the PH 302 MKII today...

Hey just part of the journey! I remember getting all freaked out when the VTL had issues, and it eventually just came to a bad tube! But the troubleshooting process to get there! I did take it to a local shop, and they checked everything out, put a good tube in, and voila! All is good.

So, in this case, I'm at least saving some bucks by doing that troubleshooting myself, with the help and tutelage from knowledgeable folks here and at Cary.

I just don't have much time during the week, so I have to set aside some time on the weekends!

IMO, you can never go wrong with having a backup. Whether it be a piece of equipment, tubes, you name it, as they keep you running until the issue gets fixed.

And I have plenty of backups! :)
  • kharp1kharp1 Posts: 3,417
    Verb, you need to pick up the Rosso Siena I'm selling, may be the best audio bargain you ever get.
    Main System:
    Joule-Electra LA 100 MKIII Upgraded by Rich Brkich Pre
    Butler Audio TBD 2250 Amp
    PS Audio DirectStream DAC and MemoryPlayer Transport
    LSA-1 Statement
    SVS SB4000 & SB2000
    Wireworld Equinox 7 bi-wire, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 IC

Secondary Rig:
    Parasound P5, Audio Electronics by Cary Constellation
    Marsh a200s, Audio Elecrtonics by Cary Hercules
    Pioneer Elite DV-45a, Denon DVD-2910
    Klipsch Epic CF-1, Vandersteen 3CE sig
    Analysus Plus Oval

Backup Gear:
    Pass Labs Aleph 30, McCormack DNA-125, Parasound A21
    Marantz SA-14S1
    Usher CP-6311/Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference Monitor, LSA-1
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 16,299
    kharp1 wrote: »
    Verb, you need to pick up the Rosso Siena I'm selling, may be the best audio bargain you ever get.

Can’t agree more.
    DSkip wrote: »

Can’t agree more.

I see, tag teaming me are you? :)
  • marvda1marvda1 Posts: 3,704
    you won't be disappointed.
    Amplifiers: MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800,Kinki Studio EX-M1
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Transport/Dac: L.K.S MH-DA004, North Star Design USB dac32, Cayin Venus cd-100i,
    Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkI
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic 2, Analysis Plus Black Mesh Oval 9,
    Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
    Interconnects: Analysis Plus Solo Crystal Oval, Analysis Plus Copper Oval-In Micro,
    Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
    Power Cables by: Cullen Cables, 6sons Audio, Swiss Cables
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 16,299
    DSkip wrote: »

Can’t agree more.

I see, tag teaming me are you? :)

This is all Kerry. They’re end game dude. No question.
  • marvda1 wrote: »
    you won't be disappointed.

I second that... you won't be disappointed. That Cary Pre will be a good match as well.
  • GlennDogGlennDog Posts: 2,079
    the power supply unit also has a tube in it! A 5AR4 rectifier tube in fact. They recommended swapping that one out too. Now, just to acquire one, as I don't have any spares (yet) :))

I’ve got a spare rectifier that came with my unit. It’s just a JJ, but it’ll work/help diagnose

Got some EHs too.… Just pick up the phone and text me dude

You’re on your own with the fuses… You better buy some of those fancy blue or black ones!
    In the meantime, rocking the VTL! :)

Rock that VTL on these . . .

qb3d6nifn409.png
    Power Rogue M180 monos & Adcom GFA 5802
    PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Rears Salk SuperCharged Surrounds
    Source PSA PWT into NSD Supremo
    Pre/Pro Integra DHC 40.1
    LCD Samsung LN46B750
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Center Salk HT2C
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Wires WW & MIT
    Dog once again you’re my savior! Very cool! And thank you! Will reach out and hopefully we can connect this weekend. I love this place! :smile:
    For sure! Thanks Ivan!
    Heaven forbid, there is a SS drop in version of this tube! :smile:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/153269818207
    So today I have a little time to play with the Cary. Pulled the bottom cover off, and what? The rectifier tube was almost falling out!
    ote3p9gr80b7.jpeg
    So of course first step push it back all the way in, see what happens. No luck. Dang. :smile:

On a good note, the chassis looks very clean and tidy!
    i1wcn2zlndja.jpeg
    On to swapping tubes! :smile:
  • Viking64Viking64 Posts: 4,513
    The rectifier tube was almost falling out!
    Rectifier? Damn near killed her. :o
    Ok, first thing for me that comes to mind is keep thing organized, and labeled. With 8 tubes (at least no kids running around the house) it would be fairly easy to get em mixed up.

Map of the tube sockets.
    kqufr9s49g1s.png

After removal, keep track of em before our little Yorkie Walter comes running!
    vzcm5apgko32.png
    edited September 29
    Ok, now to install a full set of Electro Harmonix tubes that Dhavel @jumpindick supplied with the Cary!

09svdt6fnkjq.png

Ugh, same thing! Only 5 fuses left! :)
    wf513uyx10kg.png
    And the original tubes all bagged and tagged.
    goalz84nblat.png
    Next step is to swap out the rectifier tube. Even though it was loose, it looked very clean.
    uao4m4a53mnj.png

• Joey_VJoey_V Posts: 7,083
    Following
    Joey's Gear:
    Current Gear:
    Torus RM15 -> Emm Labs DAC2x and TSDX Transport -> Cary SLP-05 preamp -> Boulder 2060 stereo amp (w/ Audioquest WEL Signature) -> new speakers
    Rotel RA1592 Super Integrated -> Sonus Faber Olympica 3
    Rotel RC1570 preamp -> Rotel RB1582 amp -> Focal Kanta 2

Old Gear:
    Speakers: BW PM1 (3.5/5), CM10s2 (3.75/5), BW800D3 (5/5), Rockport Aviors (5/5), Sonus Faber Stradivari (5/5), BW 802D2 (4.5/5), Martin Logan Summits (4.25/5), Martin Logan Vantage (4/5), Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor (3.75/5), AV123 Strata Mini (3.5/5), ML Mosaic (3.25/5), Onix Ref1 (3/5), Sonus Faber Concerto (2.75/5), SF Concertino (2.5/5), Axiom M22ti (2/5), Polk LSi9 (3/5), LSi7 (2.9/5)
    Source: Squeezebox 3 -> PS Audio Digital Link III -> Cary 306/200 CDP -> Cary 306 SACD -> EMM LABS DAC2X/TSDX
    Preamplification: Rotel RC1070 -> Rogue Perseus -> Cary SLP98 -> Cary SLP98F1 -> Cary SLP05 (sold and then repurchased)
    Amplification: HK AVR330 -> Rotel RB1070 -> Rotel RB1090 -> Plinius SA102 -> Cary 211FE -> Classe M600 -> Boulder 2060
    Subwoofer: Infinity Entra2 sub -> SVS 25-31PC+ sub
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 14,951
    edited September 29
    Clean means nothing it could have a short in it. A tube tester would find that and other problems should there be any.
    Russian tubes most were not built with the testing and tight tolerances that USA tubes were. Russian was always quantity over quality.
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Clean means nothing it could have a short in it. A tube tester would find that and other problems should there be any.
    Russian tubes most were not built with the testing and tight tolerances that USA tubes were. Russian was always quantity over quality.

For sure! Just checking for anything obvious! :)
    edited September 29
    Joey_V wrote: »
    Following

Why Joey :), did you buy Dhavel's other one? :)
  • kharp1kharp1 Posts: 3,417
    edited September 29
    Man, first thing, get rid of those stock tubes. I've never heard one of those that I liked. I had problems with the AE pre (Cary) and it was a bad tube. I think they're junk.
    Main System:
    Joule-Electra LA 100 MKIII Upgraded by Rich Brkich Pre
    Butler Audio TBD 2250 Amp
    PS Audio DirectStream DAC and MemoryPlayer Transport
    LSA-1 Statement
    SVS SB4000 & SB2000
    Wireworld Equinox 7 bi-wire, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 IC

Secondary Rig:
    Parasound P5, Audio Electronics by Cary Constellation
    Marsh a200s, Audio Elecrtonics by Cary Hercules
    Pioneer Elite DV-45a, Denon DVD-2910
    Klipsch Epic CF-1, Vandersteen 3CE sig
    Analysus Plus Oval

Backup Gear:
    Pass Labs Aleph 30, McCormack DNA-125, Parasound A21
    Marantz SA-14S1
    Usher CP-6311/Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference Monitor, LSA-1
    Man, first thing, get rid of those stock tubes. I've never heard one of those that I liked. I had problems with the AE pre (Cary) and it was a bad tube. I think they're junk.

Kerry my man the first thing is to get it up and running again! :) The Electro Harmonix is a set of known good tubes, an extra set from Dhavel, so I can rule that out. I had Sophia Electrics in there previously.

Next step is to get a known good rectifier tube. Thanks again to @GlennDog as he and I will connect tomorrow. I've also got another one coming from Tube Amp Doctors.

Then, if all is well, I've certainly been looking for some better tubes to roll into it! :)