Cary SLP-05 in Verb's House!

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    verb wrote: »
    Do you have extra tubes on hand?

PM sent.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Do you have extra tubes on hand?

Yup. Full compliment of Electro Harmonix. And 8 fuses left! :smile:

You got me thinking John. Can’t hurt for sure. Swap the tubes to a baseline set of known “good” tubes.

Especially after all the drama I went through on the VTL! In that case it turned out to be a bad tube.

I guess I’m still a tube newbie! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    So I just have to say that Cary's customer support is very good.

Received an email response this morning, after sending one to them on Saturday, when all the drama started.

I forgot, or didn't realize, that the power supply unit also has a tube in it! A 5AR4 rectifier tube in fact. They recommended swapping that one out too. Now, just to acquire one, as I don't have any spares (yet) :)

And, he asked which fuse blew, as there are 2 on the back, to better identify which part of the pre circuit may be the issue.

Bottom line is they are willing to work with me in trying to troubleshoot the issue, without having to automatically send the unit in.

Got some homework to do, along with @nooshinjohn 's suggestion to swap out the other 63N7 tubes, one by one, to see if any of those tubes may be the culprit!

In the meantime, rocking the VTL! :)
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,491
    Good luck verb. This doesn't sound like very much fun. :/
    I was just checking out the PH 302 MKII today...
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,138
    Cary support is very good. Very close to Pass Labs.

Keep us informed.
  • verb
    SIHAB wrote: »
    Good luck verb. This doesn't sound like very much fun. :/
    I was just checking out the PH 302 MKII today...

Hey just part of the journey! I remember getting all freaked out when the VTL had issues, and it eventually just came to a bad tube! But the troubleshooting process to get there! I did take it to a local shop, and they checked everything out, put a good tube in, and voila! All is good.

So, in this case, I'm at least saving some bucks by doing that troubleshooting myself, with the help and tutelage from knowledgeable folks here and at Cary.

I just don't have much time during the week, so I have to set aside some time on the weekends!

IMO, you can never go wrong with having a backup. Whether it be a piece of equipment, tubes, you name it, as they keep you running until the issue gets fixed.

And I have plenty of backups! :)
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Verb, you need to pick up the Rosso Siena I'm selling, may be the best audio bargain you ever get.
  • verb
    DSkip wrote: »
    kharp1 wrote: »
    Verb, you need to pick up the Rosso Siena I'm selling, may be the best audio bargain you ever get.

Can’t agree more.

I see, tag teaming me are you? :)
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    you won't be disappointed.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • marvda1 wrote: »
    you won't be disappointed.

I second that... you won't be disappointed. That Cary Pre will be a good match as well.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    the power supply unit also has a tube in it! A 5AR4 rectifier tube in fact. They recommended swapping that one out too. Now, just to acquire one, as I don't have any spares (yet) :))

I’ve got a spare rectifier that came with my unit. It’s just a JJ, but it’ll work/help diagnose

Got some EHs too.… Just pick up the phone and text me dude

You’re on your own with the fuses… You better buy some of those fancy blue or black ones!
    In the meantime, rocking the VTL! :)

Rock that VTL on these . . .

qb3d6nifn409.png
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • verb
    Dog once again you’re my savior! Very cool! And thank you! Will reach out and hopefully we can connect this weekend. I love this place! :smile:
  • verb
    For sure! Thanks Ivan!
  • verb
    Heaven forbid, there is a SS drop in version of this tube! :smile:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/153269818207
  • verb
    So today I have a little time to play with the Cary. Pulled the bottom cover off, and what? The rectifier tube was almost falling out!
    ote3p9gr80b7.jpeg
    So of course first step push it back all the way in, see what happens. No luck. Dang. :smile:

On a good note, the chassis looks very clean and tidy!
    i1wcn2zlndja.jpeg
  • verb
    On to swapping tubes! :smile:
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    The rectifier tube was almost falling out!
    Rectifier? Damn near killed her. :o
  • verb
    Ok, first thing for me that comes to mind is keep thing organized, and labeled. With 8 tubes (at least no kids running around the house) it would be fairly easy to get em mixed up.

Map of the tube sockets.
    kqufr9s49g1s.png

After removal, keep track of em before our little Yorkie Walter comes running!
    vzcm5apgko32.png
  • verb
    edited September 2019
    Ok, now to install a full set of Electro Harmonix tubes that Dhavel @jumpindick supplied with the Cary!

09svdt6fnkjq.png

• verb
    Ugh, same thing! Only 5 fuses left! :)
    wf513uyx10kg.png
    And the original tubes all bagged and tagged.
    goalz84nblat.png
  • verb
    Next step is to swap out the rectifier tube. Even though it was loose, it looked very clean.
    uao4m4a53mnj.png

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    Following
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471
    edited September 2019
    Clean means nothing it could have a short in it. A tube tester would find that and other problems should there be any.
    Russian tubes most were not built with the testing and tight tolerances that USA tubes were. Russian was always quantity over quality.
  • verb
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Clean means nothing it could have a short in it. A tube tester would find that and other problems should there be any.
    Russian tubes most were not built with the testing and tight tolerances that USA tubes were. Russian was always quantity over quality.

For sure! Just checking for anything obvious! :)
  • verb
    edited September 2019
    Joey_V wrote: »
    Following

Why Joey :), did you buy Dhavel's other one? :)
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    edited September 2019
    Man, first thing, get rid of those stock tubes. I've never heard one of those that I liked. I had problems with the AE pre (Cary) and it was a bad tube. I think they're junk.
  • verb
    Man, first thing, get rid of those stock tubes. I've never heard one of those that I liked. I had problems with the AE pre (Cary) and it was a bad tube. I think they're junk.

Kerry my man the first thing is to get it up and running again! :) The Electro Harmonix is a set of known good tubes, an extra set from Dhavel, so I can rule that out. I had Sophia Electrics in there previously.

Next step is to get a known good rectifier tube. Thanks again to @GlennDog as he and I will connect tomorrow. I've also got another one coming from Tube Amp Doctors.

Then, if all is well, I've certainly been looking for some better tubes to roll into it! :)

• verb wrote: »

Kerry my man the first thing is to get it up and running again! :) The Electro Harmonix is a set of known good tubes, an extra set from Dhavel, so I can rule that out. I had Sophia Electrics in there previously.

Next step is to get a known good rectifier tube. Thanks again to @GlennDog as he and I will connect tomorrow. I've also got another one coming from Tube Amp Doctors.

Then, if all is well, I've certainly been looking for some better tubes to roll into it! :)

If you trouble shoot the issue, and then roll in some good quality tubes, would you still look to do the "ultimate" upgrade? I am not so sure if it would make that big of a difference overall. But then, may be it would. Those tubes can be expensive as you would need at least six of them....
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471
    edited September 2019
    I know you want to get it up and figure it out but I'm with Kerry on this one. Chinese and Russian tubes do not stand on the same ground as 40's, 50's and 60's 6sn7 tubes. Our tubes were much better hands down. Raytheon, Sylvania, Tung-Sol, GE, CBS, Hytron and RCA are much superior to anything Russian or Chinese. If you want to run lesser tubes in the headphone side and the better tubes in the better 2 channel circuit that is understandable to keep cost down at first. I think you'll be surprised how much better sound you may get.
    I'll recommend plentiful Sylvania 6sn7gtb chrome domes that can be very reasonable. The Baldwin organ tubes are under the radar.
    My favorites are the earlier gt's and Micanol based 6sn7 wgta's just too many great tubes to be had.

The 5692's are super smooth and quiet but very pricey. Play your cards right and be patient you can score pairs for about 130.00-150.00. I've scored two pairs that tested as new for less than 100$ a pair