Cary SLP-05 in Verb's House!

Comments

• mikeyb128mikeyb128 Posts: 2,887
    verb wrote: »
    So just got home today, and looking forward to spending some more time with the Cary.

Normally the basement rig gets played on the weekends, but this piece has intrigued me so much I'm compelled to play her tonight!

@tonyb to your point, the EAR and VTL are similarly matched, IMO, for the brief time spent with each. Yeah sure you could probably wring more out of em with tube rolling, and eventually get one to best the other. Had great results with @heiney9 tubes rolled into the EAR! In fact, I'm looking forward to continuing that process as I integrate them into other rigs around the house!

But for now, the Cary is clearly the winner. It's maiden voyage last night for me yielded dramatic improvements, for this tube newbie quite frankly didn't think was possible. All I can say is wow! :smile:

As I spend some more time with it, I'll have more to share. Of course the extension of bass and treble was there, along with improvement of clarity, which was dramatic. That was somewhat expected, but the magnitude of improvement was surprising!

One thing that struck me the most was the spatial improvement of the music coming through my speakers. Sure the sound stage was wider, and deeper, and more vertical. Again somewhat expected.

However there was more of a 3-dimensional quality to it. Musical notes coming from above or below, in front of, or behind each other - the instruments were more precisely located within the sound stage. I never really had experienced such precise, I think the word is, imaging. Truly amazing!

Having fun on my journey! Gotta head downstairs and warm up the Cary! :smile:

The main thing I noticed with this preamp, was the amount of body that was added to the music! Midrange is my thing! And this preamp has it!
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• GlennDogGlennDog Posts: 2,081
    Gentlemen, try rolling some 1940s-50s JAN CKR 6sn7GT VT231s
    . . . . you'll hear bass and then some in the lower mids . . .

CKR denotes KenRad . . . a great tube if you're looking for lower FQ thump
    Power Rogue M180 monos & Adcom GFA 5802
    PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Rears Salk SuperCharged Surrounds
    Source PSA PWT into NSD Supremo
    Pre/Pro Integra DHC 40.1
    LCD Samsung LN46B750
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Center Salk HT2C
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Wires WW & MIT
  • verbverb Posts: 8,295
    edited March 18
    @Mikey081057 I have to admit I looked up "body" in audiophile vernacular. That't it! Just more of it! Robustness or Gutsiness as Stereophile mag puts it! Yeah! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Cary SLP-05 Pre, Enlightened Audio Designs CD Transport, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Digital Cable, Marantz SA-14 SACD, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, Wireworld Oasis 8 RCA IC's, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, PASS ACA Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: , Antique Sound Labs Wave AV-8 Monoblocks, Tisbury Mini Passive Pre, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    GlennDog wrote: »
    Gentlemen, try rolling some 1940s-50s JAN CKR 6sn7GT VT231s
    . . . . you'll hear bass and then some in the lower mids . . .

CKR denotes KenRad . . . a great tube if you're looking for lower FQ thump

Is that what your rocking in yours Dog?
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Cary SLP-05 Pre, Enlightened Audio Designs CD Transport, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Digital Cable, Marantz SA-14 SACD, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, Wireworld Oasis 8 RCA IC's, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, PASS ACA Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: , Antique Sound Labs Wave AV-8 Monoblocks, Tisbury Mini Passive Pre, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 14,978
    Ken Rads in that amount will be pricey but, they are very nice tubes if you can acquire enough. There are a lot of great 6sn7 tubes out there.
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Ken Rads in that amount will be pricey but, they are very nice tubes if you can acquire enough. There are a lot of great 6sn7 tubes out there.

From an old school book . . .
    Fortunately, they're still available and you only need 2 pair
    Unfortunately, they are pricy

Pre/Pro Integra DHC 40.1
    LCD Samsung LN46B750
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Center Salk HT2C
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Wires WW & MIT
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 14,978
    Sorry Glenn i thought he needed 8
    There are 8 positions available.
    But 2 are for headphones (I don't think Dave uses cans) and 2 are for the ahem less important buffer stage

For now, IMHO I'd focus on tube position #1, 2, 4, & 5
    Pre/Pro Integra DHC 40.1
    LCD Samsung LN46B750
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Center Salk HT2C
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Wires WW & MIT
    Gotta admit, love the look of the Sophies! :smile:
  • mikeyb128mikeyb128 Posts: 2,887
    I’m using 40’s RCA VT-231 grey glass in the 4 and 5 positions, and 40’s Sylvania chrome tops with parallel T plates in the 1 and 2 Positions, and it is a fantastic combo!
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

Good to hear I’m not having to roll all 8 tubes! :smile:
  • WagnerRCWagnerRC Posts: 1,973
    I grabbed some ken rads back a year or so . Time to toss em in. Thanks
    WagnerRC wrote: »
    I grabbed some ken rads back a year or so . Time to toss em in. Thanks

For sure! Will give em a go! :smile:
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 7,300
    I can't decide which preamp I like better visually, this SLP-05 or the Manley Neo-Classic 300B:

1332107-manley-labs-neo-classic-300b-preamplifier-rc.jpg

I'll just have to eventually own them both.
    "Electronic music is human sound adapting to indulge technology, and for some, it feels like the signature sound of energy. New and abstract sounds over hypnotic rhythms can conjure vast soundscapes for escape, pleasure, and transcendence."
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I can't decide which preamp I like better visually, this SLP-05 or the Manley Neo-Classic 300B:

I'll just have to eventually own them both.

My man! I like the way you think!
    Pre/Pro Integra DHC 40.1
    LCD Samsung LN46B750
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Center Salk HT2C
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Wires WW & MIT
  • asindcasindc Posts: 83
    Welcome to the 05 club. One of the great values in hobby.
    Two-Channel System:

Turntable/Cartridge: VPI CLASSIC 3/Ortofon A95
    ~~~~Nordost Valhalla XLR phono cable
    Phono Pre: ASR Basis Exclusive

Computer Audio Chain: AURENDER N10
    ~~~~Nordost Valhalla 2 AES/EBU
    CD Player/DAC: CARY CD 306 SACD PRO

Pre-Amp: Cary SLP-05
    ~~~~WW Gold XLR
    Amplifiers: Bryston 28B-SST2 monoblocks
    ~~~~WW Silver SCs

Loudspeakers: MARTIN LOGAN SPIRES
    edited September 21
    So the drama never ceases in the world of audio! This baby blew a fuse last week, put a new one in and all was well. Except for that little lingering feeling of apprehension and doubt, as to why did the fuse blow?

Now today, boom! Well not really a boom per se, :smile: but yet again a blown fuse! :smile:

So, off to service. Unless of course my fellow brothers and sister might add some advice.

Good news is that I’ve been thinking about the ultimate upgrade, and was looking for an opportunity, ahem, excuse!

Since we gotta pop the hood open anyways! :smile:
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 21,612
    There is a Pass Labs XO.2 in the FM right now.... seller seems like a good guy as well. :p
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-LX701, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
    There is a Pass Labs XO.2 in the FM right now.... seller seems like a good guy as well. :p

Agree on the Pass Labs! And, well, the seller, uh, I always give the benefit of the doubt! :smile:
  • JayCeeJayCee Posts: 653
    edited September 21
    Now today, boom! Well not really a boom per se, :smile: but yet again a blown fuse! :smile:

So, off to service.

Good news is that I’ve been thinking about the ultimate upgrade, and was looking for an opportunity, ahem, excuse!

Since we gotta pop the hood open anyways! :smile:

Never a good feeling when a fuse blows. Ran my BHK-250 amp for about 5 minutes when I first received it and pop! Had to leave shortly after and was off to the theater. The entire play performance all I could think of was the amp. Ruined my evening.

Rushed home to check everything. Rail fuse blown. Sourced new ones the next day, replaced, blown, called PSA, RMA'd and swapped for another. Took a week to get it sorted.

Happy ending to the story as I'm listening to it as I type this post. Condolences on the blown fuse but congratulations on the upcoming "ultimate upgrade". My motto in life, "the glass is always half full!"
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, Perfectwave DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: Core Power Technologies EQUI=CORE 1800 Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends FLAC Streamer: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
    And I may add John, your advice on getting the PS checked out, well, came true! Must you always be right! :smile:
    Like you’re style @JayCee ! :smile:
    And I may add John, your advice on getting the PS checked out, well, came true! Must you always be right! :smile:

.???
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-LX701, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”

.???

When I posted last week about the fuse popping. In the “what did you do to your stereo rig today?” :smile:
    Was there something wrong with the power coming in to the Cary?

Nothing obvious to me. Everything is plugged into the Furman as before. The separate power supply on the Cary turns on, but then I fire up the pre, it goes through it’s warm up cycle, then pop.
    Do you have extra tubes on hand?

Do you have extra tubes on hand?

Yup. Full compliment of Electro Harmonix. And 8 fuses left! :smile:
  • Viking64Viking64 Posts: 4,515
    Nothing obvious to me. Everything is plugged into the Furman as before. The separate power supply on the Cary turns on, but then I fire up the pre, it goes through it’s warm up cycle, then pop.

Maybe you had some Billy Idol queued up, which was detected by its Anti-Flamboyance Circuit®.
    Dang I knew I shouldn’t have turned the Cambridge on so soon! :smile: