Impressions of Tidal

Comments

• WagnerRCWagnerRC Posts: 1,973
    I cut tidal and don’t miss it. Physical media will never go away. The convenience of quboz is just nice to have.
  • joecoulsonjoecoulson Posts: 3,726
    Jesse, what level vs level in the IC comparison?
    Auralic Vega G1/Rega TT/Denon SACD - Parasound P6 - PS Audio M700x2 - Elac Adante AF-61 - AQ Niagara 5000 - SVS SB16u
  • dkhcdkhc Posts: 15
    I've got some older songs on my tidal playlist and I find the app doesn't level the volume between tracks very well. Also, there are some songs I have on Spotify that I can't find on tidal.

Not saying Spotify is any better though. I have the free version and the volume when ads play is ridiculously higher than the music on my playlist.
  • NightfallNightfall Posts: 8,673
    edited September 22
    F1nut wrote: »
    I got to listen to some Tidal supplied music last night verses the same songs sourced from CD's, both run through the same DAC. Tidal SUCKS!!!

In another comparison, Audioquest IC's sound like poo compared to MIT.

Once I get the USB C cable I need I'm going to compare Tidal to local FLAC.

Wouldn't it be something if all of my negatives on the Denton's was due to Tidal.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 43,140
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Jesse, what level vs level in the IC comparison?

MIT Shotgun S3 to something green.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

Nightfall wrote: »
    I got to listen to some Tidal supplied music last night verses the same songs sourced from CD's, both run through the same DAC. Tidal SUCKS!!!

In another comparison, Audioquest IC's sound like poo compared to MIT.

Once I get the USB C cable I need I'm going to compare Tidal to local FLAC.

Wouldn't it be something if all of my negatives on the Denton's was due to Tidal.

I guarantee it didn't help. I don't ever want to hear Tidal again.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ClipdatClipdat Posts: 7,300

What was the source/device that was playing the Tidal tracks?
    "Electronic music is human sound adapting to indulge technology, and for some, it feels like the signature sound of energy. New and abstract sounds over hypnotic rhythms can conjure vast soundscapes for escape, pleasure, and transcendence."
    No idea.

President of Club Polk

• ClipdatClipdat Posts: 7,300
    No idea.

If you can find out, I'd be curious what it was.

The Tidal experience can vary greatly depending on what is being used as the streaming transport.
    "Electronic music is human sound adapting to indulge technology, and for some, it feels like the signature sound of energy. New and abstract sounds over hypnotic rhythms can conjure vast soundscapes for escape, pleasure, and transcendence."
    This got me thinking....when we had CD, SACD and DVD Audio fighting it out I recall hearing a lot of people complain about all these different formats and which one was going to win. Now there is streaming, downloads, files and whatever. There are vast differences in sound quality, but people seem ok with that because they have 500,000 songs at their fingertips that they don't own or they lose all their music because this or that failed.

To those I say, ya'll got sucker punched.

President of Club Polk

• erniejadeerniejade Posts: 5,113
    @F1nut Have you tried Qobuz yet? I feel it sounds better then tidal but, still the CD or ripped cd \ sacd sounds best to me.
    Den: Lumin D1,Wireworld Silver Eclipse, KEF LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Jolida D9,

Living Room:,T+A PA 1530R, Tyler Highland H2, Aries Mini, High Fidelity Reveal RCA, Grant Fidelity Tube Dac 11, W4S recovery, Wireworld Platinum Starlight, PS Audio Direct Stream JR.

Have but haven't used in a while: LH Labs VI Dac, Cayin SCD50T

No I haven't and have no desire to do so.

President of Club Polk

I’ll sucker punch you old man.
    Auralic Vega G1/Rega TT/Denon SACD - Parasound P6 - PS Audio M700x2 - Elac Adante AF-61 - AQ Niagara 5000 - SVS SB16u
  • NightfallNightfall Posts: 8,673
    how-many-times-5b5ca8.jpg
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • I am satisfied with Tidal and love the experience.
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 31,652
    This got me thinking....when we had CD, SACD and DVD Audio fighting it out I recall hearing a lot of people complain about all these different formats and which one was going to win. Now there is streaming, downloads, files and whatever. There are vast differences in sound quality, but people seem ok with that because they have 500,000 songs at their fingertips that they don't own or they lose all their music because this or that failed.

I dunno about that Jesse. Streamed musical formats can be just as bad, or good, as any other, depending on the associated gear.

I will admit though, there is a slight trade off, convenience for a bit of sound quality. It's a small bit though, depending.

Most today don't care about that small bit after you reach a certain level of quality anyway. The convenience factor makes up for it. Heck, we still have many listening to MP3's, cdp's are going the way of dinosaurs. The earbud crowd is ecstatic to hear cd quality on their phones from the likes of Tidal, but most are just as happy with their MP3'S from iTunes or Google/apple music.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
  • displaynamedisplayname Posts: 492
    This so true. When we're talking to audiophiles it seems shocking that every streaming service hasn't moved to lossless. But when I talk to everyone I know that's in my age group (early 30s) and I mention high res/lossless the common response I get is "what's the difference?".

Not only do most people not care about high res. I would be willing to guess the mass majority doesn't even realize that MP3 files are not high res. What I find more interesting is the number of people who don't know these things about digital, but do own a turntable.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Sony CDP-CE375 / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > JBL Studio 580 or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 6,019
    tonyb wrote: »

I dunno about that Jesse. Streamed musical formats can be just as bad, or good, as any other, depending on the associated gear.

I will admit though, there is a slight trade off, convenience for a bit of sound quality. It's a small bit though, depending.

Most today don't care about that small bit after you reach a certain level of quality anyway. The convenience factor makes up for it. Heck, we still have many listening to MP3's, cdp's are going the way of dinosaurs. The earbud crowd is ecstatic to hear cd quality on their phones from the likes of Tidal, but most are just as happy with their MP3'S from iTunes or Google/apple music.

Yah sorry but I don’t think I got sucker punched lol. If I bought two albums a month for the last 3-4 years that I have been using tidal at $20 a month, I would have maybe 100 more albums than I do now. And I would have at best a mid level cdp to spin them on. Right now I have access to more music than I will ever listen to at probably the same SQ or better than I would get on the players I am willing to invest in.

And @DSkip has noted that tidal can sound just as good as anything else in some of his setups, so I have a feeling the rig Jesse heard was not ideal. But either way, I am willing to give up that extra smidge of SQ for the convenience and cost savings I get with tidal...
    Living Room 2.1: Dynaudio Contour 1.3mkii; Energy s10.2 sub; Cambridge Azur 851a; Cambridge Azur 752BD; Bryston BPD-1; NVidia ShieldTV
    Game Room HT: Denon AVR-X4200w; Definitive Technology SM350; Definitive Technology LCR2000; Definitive Technology Procinema 800; Mirage Nanasats; Sub - HSU VTF-2 MK5; LG UP870 4K BDP;
    ; Master Bedroom
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Definitive Technology SM45, ACI Titan Subwoofer Squeezebox Touch
    The rig was excellent.

Cost savings? You don't own squat. I call that throwing money away.

President of Club Polk

• rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 6,019
    The rig was excellent.

Cost savings? You don't own squat. I call that throwing money away.

You're correct, I own little media of my own. Should I also purchase all the movies and TV shows that I stream on Netflix and youtubetv??? Am I saving money by renting rather than buying?
    Living Room 2.1: Dynaudio Contour 1.3mkii; Energy s10.2 sub; Cambridge Azur 851a; Cambridge Azur 752BD; Bryston BPD-1; NVidia ShieldTV
    Game Room HT: Denon AVR-X4200w; Definitive Technology SM350; Definitive Technology LCR2000; Definitive Technology Procinema 800; Mirage Nanasats; Sub - HSU VTF-2 MK5; LG UP870 4K BDP;
    ; Master Bedroom
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Definitive Technology SM45, ACI Titan Subwoofer Squeezebox Touch
  • verbverb Posts: 8,274
    What's interesting here is that the quality of streaming continues to improve. Even now, there are folks that claim Qobuz is better than Tidal. Competition at it's finest.

As it continues to improve, users, like me, will still have access to a vast quantity of music that ordinarily would never have been exposed to.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Cary SLP-05 Pre, Enlightened Audio Designs CD Transport, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Digital Cable, Marantz SA-14 SACD, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, Wireworld Oasis 8 RCA IC's, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, PASS ACA Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: , Antique Sound Labs Wave AV-8 Monoblocks, Tisbury Mini Passive Pre, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
  • KexKex Posts: 3,640
    edited October 1
    Wot @verb you are exposed?!
    Heaven forbid! 😬 😱
    Alea jacta est!
  • GlennDogGlennDog Posts: 2,079
    Once I sift through all that I’m not interested in ... I find the really good stuff, then source and buy as needed.
    I don’t want my pictures, photos or files/documents in the cloud period.

I love and want my faves in the physical form.
    But nothing compares to 10s of thousands of songs at your fingertips
    Power Rogue M180 monos & Adcom GFA 5802
    PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Rears Salk SuperCharged Surrounds
    Source PSA PWT into NSD Supremo
    Pre/Pro Integra DHC 40.1
    LCD Samsung LN46B750
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Center Salk HT2C
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Wires WW & MIT
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 16,299
    Like everything implementation is key. Tidal must not be that bad if I’m getting vinyl enthusiasts to switch to streaming.

I’ve been doing some comparisons to Qobuz and I hear what others say about it being a little more detailed vs rounded but I still find myself still falling more to tidal.
    GlennDog wrote: »
    Once I sift through all that I’m not interested in ... I find the really good stuff, then source and buy as needed.

How many times have we all purchased a disc, 'cause a song or two piqued us, only to find the rest of the album, well, meh. :)
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Cary SLP-05 Pre, Enlightened Audio Designs CD Transport, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Digital Cable, Marantz SA-14 SACD, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, Wireworld Oasis 8 RCA IC's, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, PASS ACA Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: , Antique Sound Labs Wave AV-8 Monoblocks, Tisbury Mini Passive Pre, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub

Same here Dog! My recent discoveries on Tidal, liked em so much, that I went and bought the discs! :)
    Dang Dog, I just quoted you twice! Must be tired. Long past couple of weeks! :)
  • displaynamedisplayname Posts: 492
    verb wrote: »

How many times have we all purchased a disc, 'cause a song or two piqued us, only to find the rest of the album, well, meh. :)

This is where streaming saves me the most money. I'll by an album after I find myself coming back to it.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Sony CDP-CE375 / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > JBL Studio 580 or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
    DSkip wrote: »
    Like everything implementation is key. Tidal must not be that bad if I’m getting vinyl enthusiasts to switch to streaming.

I’ve been doing some comparisons to Qobuz and I hear what others say about it being a little more detailed vs rounded but I still find myself still falling more to tidal.

Me too, there was not enough content on QB for me to stay subscribed. I know there is a slight edge given to QB for the most part, but for the convenience of having almost EVERYTHING at my disposal, it’s worth it by far.

Jesse you have a fantastic vinyl setup so I would imagine it would be very expensive and difficult to match or even get close with streaming quality with Tidal, or any non physical digital media, but $$ could make all the difference. Just my 2 c
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 31,652
    verb wrote: »

Bingo. I can only remember a handful of albums that I liked more than 3 songs on. I have about 400 cd's sitting in a box right now. When I downloaded the songs I liked from them, I came up with about 30 cd's worth of music.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable