Impressions of Tidal

Comments

• steveinazsteveinaz Posts: 19,085
    No doubt Tidal sounds great, it's a format issue I have with it. I have been playing with Spotify's radio function and seems pretty close to Pandora as far as choosing songs I like. The Node 2 and 2i do NOT have Pandora...apparently there's a bit of a childish back and forth between Bluesound and Pandora (Sirius/XM); each blaming the other for why it hasn't been integrated yet in the Bluesound products.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amplifier: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: PSB Imagine T2
  • verbverb Posts: 8,280
    So I've been dancing around the streaming thing, the extent of which for me has been ITunes via BT, and Pandora, which I like alot! Yep. Don't know what I don't know. Now after spending some time at Axpona, seeing all the streamers, talking to folks here, et., al., well you know the drill! :smile:

And, it looks like Tidal offers a military discount! Both active duty and retired! Anyone here that can verify that?

Oh God, help me! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Cary SLP-05 Pre, Enlightened Audio Designs CD Transport, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Digital Cable, Marantz SA-14 SACD, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, Wireworld Oasis 8 RCA IC's, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, PASS ACA Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: , Antique Sound Labs Wave AV-8 Monoblocks, Tisbury Mini Passive Pre, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
  • joecoulsonjoecoulson Posts: 3,733
    No one can help you now!! Muwahahahaaa
    Auralic Vega G1/Rega TT/Denon SACD - Parasound P6 - PS Audio M700x2 - Elac Adante AF-61 - AQ Niagara 5000 - SVS SB16u
    Following this thread, as I am now subscribing to Tidal! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Cary SLP-05 Pre, Enlightened Audio Designs CD Transport, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Digital Cable, Marantz SA-14 SACD, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, Wireworld Oasis 8 RCA IC's, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, PASS ACA Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: , Antique Sound Labs Wave AV-8 Monoblocks, Tisbury Mini Passive Pre, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
  • rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 6,019
    verb wrote: »

Sweet verb! Love tidal while it lasts, cause this model won’t last forever.

Do they offer a military discount?
    Living Room 2.1: Dynaudio Contour 1.3mkii; Energy s10.2 sub; Cambridge Azur 851a; Cambridge Azur 752BD; Bryston BPD-1; NVidia ShieldTV
    Game Room HT: Denon AVR-X4200w; Definitive Technology SM350; Definitive Technology LCR2000; Definitive Technology Procinema 800; Mirage Nanasats; Sub - HSU VTF-2 MK5; LG UP870 4K BDP;
    ; Master Bedroom
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Definitive Technology SM45, ACI Titan Subwoofer Squeezebox Touch
    Explain please @rooftop59
    Auralic Vega G1/Rega TT/Denon SACD - Parasound P6 - PS Audio M700x2 - Elac Adante AF-61 - AQ Niagara 5000 - SVS SB16u
    joecoulson wrote: »

I just think that the writing on the wall after the Music Modernization Act is that streaming will either a) no longer be a profitable business model or b) get a lot more expensive for the consumer. Its pretty well known that almost none of the streaming companies actually turn a profit (other than spotify) and now it will be much more difficult to avoid paying royalties (which I think that they should be paying anyways).

Bottom line is that we have been in the wild west of music streaming that started back with napster, and I think we are about to see another big shift in the model. My guess is that the new model will offer different tiers much like cell phone companies, and you will pay to stream a certain amount of music per month, with unlimited being significantly more expensive than it is now. How long before that happens, I have no idea...
    Living Room 2.1: Dynaudio Contour 1.3mkii; Energy s10.2 sub; Cambridge Azur 851a; Cambridge Azur 752BD; Bryston BPD-1; NVidia ShieldTV
    Game Room HT: Denon AVR-X4200w; Definitive Technology SM350; Definitive Technology LCR2000; Definitive Technology Procinema 800; Mirage Nanasats; Sub - HSU VTF-2 MK5; LG UP870 4K BDP;
    ; Master Bedroom
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Definitive Technology SM45, ACI Titan Subwoofer Squeezebox Touch
  • displaynamedisplayname Posts: 492
    rooftop59 wrote: »

I just think that the writing on the wall after the Music Modernization Act is that streaming will either a) no longer be a profitable business model or b) get a lot more expensive for the consumer. Its pretty well known that almost none of the streaming companies actually turn a profit (other than spotify) and now it will be much more difficult to avoid paying royalties (which I think that they should be paying anyways).

Bottom line is that we have been in the wild west of music streaming that started back with napster, and I think we are about to see another big shift in the model. My guess is that the new model will offer different tiers much like cell phone companies, and you will pay to stream a certain amount of music per month, with unlimited being significantly more expensive than it is now. How long before that happens, I have no idea...
    Streaming services will probably push closer to $15/$20 a month. Or we'll see more models like hulu. Lowest paid model still has ads. Then it tiers up for no adds, and then additional content. I would be shocked if the big labels become an upcharge at some point. Something like "add the Sony Records library for $2/month" - similar to adding HBO and Disney on cable.

Don't forget net neutrality too. At some point that will factor in as well.
    Then if your ISP doesn't have a deal with your streaming service (or their hosting server company), they might charge you an extra $3-5 per month for un-throttled bandwidth access.

I think this all a few years down the road, but as they continue to sort things out, I would be shocked if hifi streaming got to $30+/month within 10 years. And that's assuming we don't have any additional internet taxes laced in over time.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Sony CDP-CE375 / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > JBL Studio 580 or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs

I think this all a few years down the road, but as they continue to sort things out, I would be shocked if hifi streaming got to $30+/month within 10 years. And that's assuming we don't have any additional internet taxes laced in over time.

but tidal hifi is already $20 a month??? And Qobuz is more. I'll be shocked if Tidal isn't either out of business or charging at least $30 per month for unlimited hifi within 5 years...but I hope I'm wrong lol.

; Master Bedroom
    Hard to say. They might have the margins built in where if they continue to grow users, they might not need to increase prices. I think Tidal has been smart with some of their exclusive content.

But I think it's more likely that Tidal gets purchased before they really need to spike prices or go under. Maybe mergers with other services too. I mean Hulu and Spotify just partnered offering Hulu for free with a Spotify premium subscription. So in effect, Spotify just cut their costs in half, or offer double the content with no price increase. Which ever way you want to look at it.

I think new tax laws and ISP access charges are a much larger and much more immediate concern than the cost of the streaming services. I do think we'll see some hikes from streaming companies, but likely a dollar at a time every few years. Nothing massively shocking.

Here's one thing I'm surprised we haven't seen yet: steaming services acting as a label. Tidal is the closest, and Apple music has done exclusives in the past as well. If all the video streaming services are finding new customer bases with original exclusive content, how much longer before we seeing that from Spotify and others.
    Discogs
    Here's one thing I'm surprised we haven't seen yet: steaming services acting as a label. Tidal is the closest, and Apple music has done exclusives in the past as well. If all the video streaming services are finding new customer bases with original exclusive content, how much longer before we seeing that from Spotify and others.

i think that would be a REALLY risky proposition for a musician. With TV, all the money the show makes is from the channel that purchases it. But with music, most of the money is made on the road, from tickets and merch, and to a lesser extent from being featured in TV and movies. If you are only on one streaming service, that could really piss off your fanbase I would think...
    ; Master Bedroom

Yes they do offer a military discount. I just need to confirm whether it applies to retired military. My plan is to upgrade to the premium service once my 30 day trial runs out! :smile:
    edited May 6

i think that would be a REALLY risky proposition for a musician. With TV, all the money the show makes is from the channel that purchases it. But with music, most of the money is made on the road, from tickets and merch, and to a lesser extent from being featured in TV and movies. If you are only on one streaming service, that could really piss off your fanbase I would think...

Interesting, and I am tending to agree. A band I like, Blackmill, only releases their stuff digitally! WTF! Yeah I know, I wish they would release physical media.

But, I did, eventually, get the Cambridge streamer, and get Tidal. I do feel a little coerced for sure. In the end, all good, cause I'm very happy with the Cambridge! :smile:

Yes they do offer a military discount. I just need to confirm whether it applies to retired military. My plan is to upgrade to the premium service once my 30 day trial runs out! :smile:
    Discogs

Sweet! Thank you for verifying! :smile:
  • erniejadeerniejade Posts: 5,113
    Tidal also offers a student discount. My wife is getting her masters and I plugged her name into the spot where it asks for student name. Boom 1/2 off the hifi service. 9.99 a month now.
    Den: Lumin D1,Wireworld Silver Eclipse, KEF LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Jolida D9,

Living Room:,T+A PA 1530R, Tyler Highland H2, Aries Mini, High Fidelity Reveal RCA, Grant Fidelity Tube Dac 11, W4S recovery, Wireworld Platinum Starlight, PS Audio Direct Stream JR.

Have but haven't used in a while: LH Labs VI Dac, Cayin SCD50T

Nice Brian! :smile:
  • audioluvraudioluvr Posts: 1,483
    Kinda disappointing that they don't verify service. Hell any schmuck can say they are a vet.
    Home System:
    SDA 1C's - Full mod with the help by Dave...
    1000 Va Dreadnought- w/ WireWorld Mini-Eclipse cables
    WireWorld Mini-Eclipse 7 speaker cables
    WireWorld Silver Eclipse IC's
    Cambridge Audio Azur 851N - DAC/Streamer
    Parasound Halo C-2 Pre/pro
    B&K M200 Sonata Monoblocks
    BLE-Design 16mm Power Cables
    Denon DVD 2900

Barn system:
    SDA SRS 2.3's Full mod done by myself
    Carver C-1 pre
    Carver M1.5t
    BluDenso - Bluetooth receiver/DAC
  • indyhawgindyhawg Posts: 1,350
    edited May 11
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Kinda disappointing that they don't verify service. Hell any schmuck can say they are a vet.

I had to add supporting documentation to get the veteran's rate. I received an email about an hour later saying my status had been verified so I could get the discount. So hopefully, they are doing this for everyone.
    With the student discount, i got the same thing. Not sure how they verified she is a student but i had to wait for verification. Folks, use your kids names on that @DSkip
    Den: Lumin D1,Wireworld Silver Eclipse, KEF LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Jolida D9,

Living Room:,T+A PA 1530R, Tyler Highland H2, Aries Mini, High Fidelity Reveal RCA, Grant Fidelity Tube Dac 11, W4S recovery, Wireworld Platinum Starlight, PS Audio Direct Stream JR.

erniejade wrote: »
    With the student discount, i got the same thing. Not sure how they verified she is a student but i had to wait for verification. Folks, use your kids names on that @DSkip

You just need an active .edu account, which they will send a link to. I have been tempted to use it but don’t really think it’s fair. But since your wife is actually in school rock on brother!
    ; Master Bedroom
    edited May 12
    Nvrmd.

Another reason why Tidal is great. :smile:

So this Saturday, I'm going to an electronic music festival, and in looking at the lineup, I've never heard of any of these guys! Not a one! So using Tidal, I was able to search, and voila! Most of em are there! Gave me a chance to sample em, and develop my schedule for the day!

cmqtvghqx2cb.png
    8h1xjrzvj6j6.png
    Disclosure, Wink and Orbital - some of my favs!!
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 7,300
    Orbital a must see.
    "Electronic music is human sound adapting to indulge technology, and for some, it feels like the signature sound of energy. New and abstract sounds over hypnotic rhythms can conjure vast soundscapes for escape, pleasure, and transcendence."
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Orbital a must see.

I gotta convince the Mrs! We're spending the night at the MGM Grand, and have dinner reservations at Wolfgang Puck for 9:30! :smile:
    I gotta convince the Mrs! We're spending the night at the MGM Grand, and have dinner reservations at Wolfgang Puck for 9:30! :smile:

Stick with the reservation then. Check out Orbital's back catalog on Tidal later this weekend instead.
    "Electronic music is human sound adapting to indulge technology, and for some, it feels like the signature sound of energy. New and abstract sounds over hypnotic rhythms can conjure vast soundscapes for escape, pleasure, and transcendence."
    My vote for the best on that ticket is Disclosure.
    So over the past few weeks, doing a lot of projects around the house, and streaming Tidal in the different areas of the house. Either on the Cambridge (main floor or basement), or if upstairs or the garage on the phone via BT.

Interesting, based on my playlists that I created, Tidal created some for me! Called a Track Radio. Hmm, interesting. So I decided to check em out, some were, meh, others, not too bad.

Been playing one of the Tidal created playlists most of the day! :smile:
    kmy3wbmymgb4.png

Just a snippet, but this playlist has literally hours of music on it.

Solar Fields makes good stuff.