New Polk Audio "Legend" Speaker Series shown at 2019 Hong Kong High End Audio Video Show

Comments

• Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Can anyone confirm that the current run LSiM speakers are using the same drivers and especially crossovers that the originals shipped with?

I seem to remember some info on here that the newer ones had some parts swapped for cheaper ones.

Would help explain some of the price slashing.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    So... it's not my place to be doing legal research for, umm, Sound United :* but the post by @vcwatkins got me to thinkin' about the Legend moniker.

There's this other loudspeaker manufacturer who refers (or, at least, referred) to their brand as A Legend in Sound. :|

zw9d9oal9y1p.png

They even have had a Legend Series of loudspeakers.

02sk2hx40zrw.png

Is there any trademark infringement issue kind of thing goin' on, here?

Just... you know... musing.

5m07f8cww5ym.png

I muse, therefore I am.

I don't see a problem Mark. Legend is a common word as is Monster, as is Reference. Now if they had duplicated "Legend in Sound", then there would be a problem.

Unless you are illiterate, You should know the difference between Polk Legend and Klipsch Legend.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    I think the complaint here is a lack of creativity?
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,341
    “Signature Reference” was already taken by Emo-tiva.
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    DSkip wrote: »

The pricing has always been due to eliminating multiple hands in the delivery of the product to market. Once a company gets as big as Polk, the infrastructure has to be in place to deliver which adds cost. On the flip side, the scale of manufacturing offsets some of these costs. Now people are getting the benefit of scale and no infrastructure.

This speaker line was basically never available at dealers/retailers and had VERY limited distribution channels from the start, mainly online.

That has not changed with most of the prices you’re seeing. The biggest factor seems to be that Polk needs to unload the massive financial anchor of their inventory of the LSiM line and just forget about making any kind of profit on them. Clearly Polk is contracting places like Adorama to basically be a clearance house for them.

But I’m still curious if the newer LSiM speakers are built the same as the original production runs.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    edited August 2019
    Looks like a bunch of NP electrolytics in that Focal XO.
    The air core conductors in the Alpine XO are pretty cheesy. The ones in the Focal are better, but still nothin' special. The capacitor in the middle of the Alpine XO looks like perhaps a Bennic(?), and there are definitely NP electrolytics to the left and below it; cannot tell about the one on the far right.

NP electrolytics -- we're talkin' 50 cent capacitors (retail).

So... I must be missin' something?

• WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    Looks like a bunch of NP electrolytics in that Focal XO.
    The air core conductors in the Alpine XO are pretty cheesy. The ones in the Focal are better, but still nothin' special. The capacitor in the middle of the Alpine XO looks like perhaps a Bennic(?), and there are definitely NP electrolytics to the left and below it; cannot tell about the one on the far right.
    NP electrolytics -- we're talkin' 50 cent capacitors (retail).
    So... I must be missin' something?
    Remember, its all relative. This is car audio. In the tough car audio environment, the adjustment ability of these passive crossovers is more rare than common. Its the sum of all parts as both of these are good performing 3-way speakers systems. Both are good looking and could be featured in show systems. The Focal is crazy expensive....and I don't know the details of the electrolytics, but there looks to be some poly in there as well.

Anyway, the point was made that the Elac had a better crossover. Then I indicated that may be true but that does not take away from the fact that Polk does a good job with their crossovers. The older car audio SR line and the home audio LSiM line both measure pretty well. Again its the sum of all parts.

I purposely compared the above well performing car audio systems to the Polk SR crossover as it holds its own. Polk used 1% resistors and 1% Mylar caps, Air core inductors, Zobel network, tweeter protection, 4 tweeter levels via a low noise jumper, all on a cast aluminum chassis. Again....Look at the white paper measurements:

The LSiM is much of the same when you look at the overall measurements of the line.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • mhardy6647
    edited August 2019
    upon reflection, I think we're on two somewhat different wavelengths (heh, see what I did there?) vis-a-vis the crossover topic, so I'm out now.

Y'all carry on. :)

It will be interesting to see details on the innards of the new Polks, as well as measurements (impedance curves and whatnot). :|

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,699
    edited August 2019
    WLDock wrote: »
    Take price, sound preference, and comparison to other speakers out of the equation. The scientist over at Polk have done a good job designing speakers and crossovers using the latest tools available. I took notice years ago with the SRS then the later the car audio SR6500 series speakers. Back then they were one of the few that offerd a white paper showing the science behind what they were offering. Their SR line could produce a pretty good response in the car which is not easy to do out of the box and takes some engineering and good components. It looks like the same engineering was used in the LSiM line.

SR6500 White Paper
    http://www.specsserver.com/CACHE/FILE23773.PDF

Polk_Audio_SR6500_7_500.jpg

Not the best, not the worst, but good design and crossover for the SR series, LSiM series, etc. Price to performance is up to the buyer to decide.

When we were at the old HQ for a Polkfest in, 2005 I think it was?

Anyhoo, the LCiRTS series was just getting released and they hooked up the show demo LCiRTS105's for us in the demo room at the HQ. While everyone was listening, myself and MacLeod were staring in the little windows of the speakers mounted in the wall.

Inside that little window was the crossover guts.

http://global.polkaudio.com/en/Media/POLK/Product Catalogs/RTS Catalog-English.pdf

Those guts had a little plate that said SR Series on it.

We asked the sales guy who's name escapes me right now if what we were seeing was true. He confirmed it and said that while the SR Series crossovers were not ideal nor the intended production equivalent, they provided the sound stage and crossover curves and points they were looking for to showcase the imaging that the original LSi in-wall speakers were capable of. Mainly because everyone thought that the ring radiator tweeters were going to be too directional and easy to localize.

The biggest difference between the SR Series and the LCiRTS crossovers were the SR Series used a 22mm (about 7/8ths inch) ring radiator tweeter vs the LCiRTS and LSi series home speakers 1" ring radiator tweeter. This caused the SR Series crossover to be a bit shouty on the larger 1" tweeters as it was truncating the lower range of the larger tweeter and was not damping the higher end peaks. Mainly because they occurred at different points on the response curve than the 22mm tweeter in the car component SR Series.

They used the SR Series crossover because the LCiRTS/LSi crossovers were not ready in time for show time.

The SR Series was, hands down, one of the best component systems ever put out on the car audio market. You don't see them come up used very often and when they do, people still want $400-$500 for them. They were $600-$700 new. You needed to upgrade to stuff like Focal Utopia to be able to at least match if not beat the performance from the SR Series. Especially when matched with one of the SR Series subs.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,034
    ^^^^^ Doc; Thank you for that khorn link; I'll have to go through it when I have a bit more time to digest it all
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,007
    I don't like the looks of these new models based off these pictures. Nothing says come listen to me.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,470
    nothing is gonna sound good that way.

"As an aside, the pic of the Lsim woofer (left) and the Elac woofer (right)"

jonasdwsvx00.png

Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,470
    off topic Doc, but have you tried YOUR speakers in/or near the corner?

Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • mhardy6647
    No, actually -- I was 'going to' run them that way, but they'd be too far apart, I think, so I went with the "Cardas" golden ratio positioning (more or less, sort of). :)
    http://www.cardas.com/room_setup_main.php

I do get tempted, but I'd have to move so much junk (including the pair of Altec Santiagos that actually are in the corners) that that notion has always died aborning.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,901
    4k is the retail ? Hmmm....what was retail when the LSIM's came out ? What are they selling for now. Wait a couple years and you'll get these half off at a friends and family sale. Use the other 2k for a kick arse tubed pre amp. :)

Or one can always take that 2k and put it on the no pass line at the crap table in Vegas.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,526
    edited August 2019
    Looks like these were the L600 (tower) and L100 (small bookshelf) and L200 (large bookshelf). This potentially leaves a couple other spots in the lineup. Maybe there will be a larger "SDA-style" tower as the top model in the line.
  • halen
    halen Posts: 675
    tonyb wrote: »
    4k is the retail ? Hmmm....what was retail when the LSIM's came out ? What are they selling for now. Wait a couple years and you'll get these half off at a friends and family sale. Use the other 2k for a kick arse tubed pre amp. :)

Or one can always take that 2k and put it on the no pass line at the crap table in Vegas.

Is that the going price?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,666
    edited August 2019
    The prices have not been announced.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    I have a feeling the price is what Jesse has been alluding to. They will be very reasonable, I suspect.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • halen
    Thanks guys.

Regardless of how it looks, if it takes the L series to another level I am in.

Just something about Polk’s. I may not be a fan of the individual components but I am a fan of how it fits together.

Cheers.
  • gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 666
    edited August 2019
    I just wish Polk would delve back into the realm of high end, made in America speakers again , like the SDA’s .....
    Instead of Best Buy and Fry’s stuff .....
    That is why my 1c’s will never leave my possession
    These look like they’re made in China ...
    They look cheesy ....
    Too much “bling” ......

Bk
    Parasound A21 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Yamaha wxc-50 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

PS Audio Stellar S300 , Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

Cambridge Audio 851n - sitting in the closet , for now

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO

DAYENS AMPINO ( thanks Verb ! ) , KEiiD streamer ( this was only 60 bucks ?? ) , Polk atrium 8SDi’s - KID’s BEDROOM
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited August 2019
    gyosa wrote: »
    I just wish Polk would delve back into the realm of high end, made in America speakers again , like the SDA’s .....
    Instead of Best Buy and Fry’s stuff .....
    That is why my 1c’s will never leave my possession
    These look like they’re made in China ...
    They look cheesy ....

Bk

I doubt if that will happen. High-end speakers are a specialty market, not a mass market. I think at this point the owners of Polk are only interested in the mass market; that is “Good enough”.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • F1nut
    Nightfall wrote: »
    I have a feeling the price is what Jesse has been alluding to. They will be very reasonable, I suspect.

Huh?

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 666
    edited August 2019
    Exactly ....
    So sad ...Polk , once an icon , reduced to big box store , mid fi , good enough, speakers ....
    Going for the mass market, big box store non-audiophile market ...
    Trading on the time honored POLK name ....
    Far cry from the 70’s - 80’s ...

I wanna see a modern day iteration of the SDA’s with high end crossovers and components like ribbon tweets and SEAS woofers , for example - like the “big boys” use ....

Something to be said for vintage quality ....

And .... I’m obviously not a audio snob .... look at my sig tag 😃

Bk

I doubt if that will happen. High-end speakers are a specialty market, not a mass market. I think at this point the owners of Polk are only interested in the mass market; that is “Good enough”. [/quote]

Parasound A21 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Yamaha wxc-50 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

PS Audio Stellar S300 , Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

Cambridge Audio 851n - sitting in the closet , for now

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO

DAYENS AMPINO ( thanks Verb ! ) , KEiiD streamer ( this was only 60 bucks ?? ) , Polk atrium 8SDi’s - KID’s BEDROOM
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    F1nut wrote: »
    Nightfall wrote: »

Huh?

All has yet to be revealed...
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • F1nut
    Ah

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    Well -- I'm not atypically clueless.

:|
  • halen
    And exactly how many here, would buy high end, modern SDA speakers? Much of the same was stated in regards to LSIM at only $4,000 and look how that turned out.