New Polk Audio "Legend" Speaker Series shown at 2019 Hong Kong High End Audio Video Show

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Jesse seems impressed. That's enough for me to be intrigued....

That's what I was thinking. I'm still Keen on giving them a listen and I'd like to see what they look like with the grills on, I always keep grills on speakers anyway. Jesse hasn't steered me wrong so far, we both had the same opinion on the SDA 1.2s even before I knew what he thought of them.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited August 2019
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    Here is a picture of our living room, and I think a set of those with a light wood finish would look very nice in here. I offer this purely as a somewhat "trendy" living room.

(note, I'm not in charge of decor or speaker placement, so please save your criticisms. :) )
    f13qgmebpf2p.jpg

By the decor I am going to assume there is a powerful presence of estrogen in that household, looks good though.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited August 2019
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    They should have used a clean damp rag to clean followed by a dry one. That right speaker looks bad. I'd love to hear them and would hope there is a way to attach splkes

Or is that some sort of marbled finish? I had the same thought, but I was (am) up for givin' 'em the benefit of the doubt.

I am also thinking that the little two-ways (EDIT: both flavors of 'em -- I didn't notice at first they were different!) look considerably more promising -- not that looks necessarily correlate one whit with sound.

Based on their configuration, the floorstanders are of little interest to me a priori, but then again I can say with some certainty that I ain't their key demographic B)

• mhardy6647
    PS: I mean... things are kinda odd in Hong Kong at the moment.

:(
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 999
    I kind of like them. I mean,I'm not like pulling out the check book or anything. I don't find them offensive. However,who ever was in charge of setting them up for display,should be fired! Water spots and finger prints all over your product. This is how you display a brand new product for the whole world to see???
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    I need to see more pictures, but the LSiM’s look way sexier to me.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    those drivers appear to be ribbed for maximum pleasure.

Listening pleasure, one would assume.

Have you seen the movie about Howard Stern called "Private Parts"?

Maybe more than listening pleasure. ;)
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,892
    By the decor I am going to assume there is a powerful presence of estrogen in that household, looks good though.
    Ouch! :#:o

That said, there are not many speakers that most sane females would consider attractive. I got away with RT800’s and RT55’s for a while, but I’ll admit that they were never attractive. Now everything is in-ceiling (and temporary, which has been lasting for a few years already, but such are priorities in life sometimes) :smile:

The new “Legend” speakers don’t seem unattractive. Notice the nicer feet on the base of the larger models, with metal supports of some description. The bookshelves look more like replacements for the RTiA than the LSiM though, but maybe they look better in reality.

Speakers should really be gorgeous, if they’re going to be seen. Nobody ever said that a grand piano or baby grand looked unattractive. It’s part of the decor, not fighting with it. Similarly, if a speaker isn’t beautiful enough to be out from the corner wall, in the room, then the WAF is going to be low, and incurring displeasure over it is rarely (if ever) worth it.

Emotiva households are clearly NOT happy places (talking about the fugly speakers here, not the other stuff, but yeah... maybe some of that too... :p ). The price of such artworks tends not to be in the range of those offered by Polk, which brings me to another question...

What is the annual market for speakers anyway, so what are Polk fighting over? Speakers rarely break, so if one has a good pair (or more), then do owners ever even replace them?
    Alea jacta est!
  • OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,065
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    They should have used a clean damp rag to clean followed by a dry one. That right speaker looks bad. I'd love to hear them and would hope there is a way to attach splkes

I think it's still got the plastic film stuff on it.
  • mhardy6647
    Gorgeous as in, e.g., Wilsons? ;)

yaj63hrj6hoc.png

I mean, I am pretty tolerant of imposing loudspeakers B) -- but I'd prefer not to be menaced by them. Some of the bigger/'spensiver Wilsons are the stuff of nightmares.

:o
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    OleBoot wrote: »
    I think it's still got the plastic film stuff on it.

Looks like that's it. The bookshelf speakers have more of a flat blackish finish it seems, not shiny and wrinkly black.

• Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,892
    I was thinking more along the lines of beautiful wood... the WAF should be higher with that :D aherm... sorry 😐 🤭

Maybe along the lines of the Focal Scala Utopia, or some of the Sonus Faber lines... immaculate and meticulous craftsmanship, just like a piano!
    Alea jacta est!
  • OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,065

yaj63hrj6hoc.png

I mean, I am pretty tolerant of imposing loudspeakers B) -- but I'd prefer not to be menaced by them. Some of the bigger/'spensiver Wilsons are the stuff of nightmares.

:o

Take me to your leader, earthling.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited August 2019
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Another pic, quality isn't great though:
    high_end_avshow_2019_0152.jpg

Something to consider....do they look any better or worst then theses:

g970AF61GB-F.jpg

IMO, I like the curved top of the LSiM more so than the flat top ELAC Adante.
    414DfsFtd5L.jpg

So, if Polk can get more performance out of these for less money then the LSiM they might be on to something. Because from a distance the G.E. or overall general effect of their design is not far off from other brands out there like the ELAC. The hurdle is all of the other brands in the $5K retail price bracket. Many tend to gravitate to the so called "audiophile" brands.

When does the club Polk listening road show start? :)
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • mhardy6647
    ... and they don't even sound very good. :|
    OK, I haven't heard the WAMMs, but the Wilsons I have encountered were, shall we say, not to my taste sonically, either.

I.e., one remains cautiously optimistic 'bout this new line of Polks.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,706
    Jesse seems impressed. That's enough for me to be intrigued....

I'm not sure impressed is correct. Let's say I didn't find anything objectionable in my short demos. I'll also say there is more to come.

As for the colors, as you can see there are 2 and IMO they look better than the LSiM colors.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    la2vegas wrote: »
    So much for the blockbuster unveiling.

Yeah doesn't look like what we saw on the Polk tour either. Then again we only saw the bottom 1/2.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Interesting. What’s the theory behind a dimpled surface on the driver?
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I would expect a re-worked crossover in these too. Aside from that mid woofer, everything else looks like parts they have on hand from previous models. All in all, I personally see not much to warrant chasing them. Especially given what you can pick up the LSIM's for these days.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    edited August 2019
    The ring radiator reminds me of the Scan-Speak Revelator with the silver phase plug:

11w3lut.jpg

r2904_7000-05.jpg

• codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    :).... :/.... :s.... :(

Meh.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • mhardy6647
    verb wrote: »
    Interesting. What’s the theory behind a dimpled surface on the driver?

Like razors with five blades -- gotta make things new and different.

:|

Of course, the notion of little thingies to fight resonances or decrease break up irregularities isn't... umm... exactly new.

cfu3g2h0cysb.png
    https://www.stereophile.com/content/listening-116-page-3

Perhaps the best sounding coax driver evah (at least relative to my ears) -- I cannot afford a pair, though :/

And then there's that strong but light thing -- cf. corrugated cardboard :)
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    I like that they are front ported. Sure would like to hear the rr tweet tho. Thought it was the 703s weak link.
  • mhardy6647
    Clipdat wrote: »
    The ring radiator reminds me of the Scan-Speak Revelator with the silver phase plug:

11w3lut.jpg

r2904_7000-05.jpg

...which, in turn, looks to me like an armor-plated version of Roy Allison's 1970s n!pple-shaped 'dome' diaphragm (used in both midrange and tweeter drivers in Allison's superb early loudspeakers).

tr2r9yh7ymyb.png

The Polk/ScanSpeak/Peerless style 'ring radiators' date back to the 1990s, if memory serves.
    The notion of a 'ring radiator', though, dates back to JBL in the 1960s (at least), and again, AFAIK :|

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?6368-Ring-Radiator-Comparisons

vhbi6fq3bfc6.png

(borrowed image of the notorious JBL 075 ear-gougers, with lots of extra goodies, in this case :p )
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I do like that they are front ported also. The look though, for something deemed "legend', reminds me too much of the Sig. series, with a ring radiator from the Lsim series, with a new midwoofer.

To tell the truth, I was expecting something.....other than this. In the end though, let your ears judge as we like to say.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    All I’ll say for now is that if you listened to @D2Lo’s discussion, it was clear that the streamlined lineup of good (t series), better (signature series), and best (apparently legend series?) would put the best somewhere better the old rtia and lsim series. Clearly Polk can’t or is no longer interested in selling speakers at the LSiM MSRP (I suspect its the former), so they had to cut costs with this new flagship model to get the MSRP down. Or so I speculate...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • mhardy6647
    edited August 2019
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    All I’ll say for now is that if you listened to @D2Lo’s discussion, it was clear that the streamlined lineup of good (t series), better (signature series), and best (apparently legend series?) would put the best somewhere better the old rtia and lsim series. Clearly Polk can’t or is no longer interested in selling speakers at the LSiM MSRP (I suspect its the former), so they had to cut costs with this new flagship model to get the MSRP down. Or so I speculate...

^^^ Great post.

1) I didn't recall any of that; thanks for the reminder!

2) ... and I think it could be fairly and reasonably argued that superior sound at affordable prices would fit right in with the classic (dare I say Legendary Polk [Audio] ethos. :)

j9ox6voywyod.png

Ad from September 1977 (42 years ago :| )

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/180156/a-project-for-2018-compendium-of-polk-audio-ads-etc/p1
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    rooftop59 wrote: »

^^^ Great post.

1) I didn't recall any of that; thanks for the reminder!

2) ... and I think it could be fairly and reasonably argued that superior sound at affordable prices would fit right in with the classic (dare I say Legendary Polk [Audio] ethos. :)

j9ox6voywyod.png

Ad from September 1977 (42 years ago :| )

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/180156/a-project-for-2018-compendium-of-polk-audio-ads-etc/p1

This is actually where I thought they might go. Given Klipsch and JBL's recent re-introduction of some vintage lines.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A