This Should Be Interesting - Help Me Spend Money - New (Used) Tower Speakers...

Comments

• erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    MrBuhl wrote: »
    @erniejade ^^ Big difference ^^ between 2ce and 3 meaning going up in number is for the better or worse? Trying to figure out the nomenclature.

The 3a being better, clearer, more bass, clearer mids.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    https://www.zuaudio.com/loudspeakers/omen-dirty-weekend-2

Be quick, in a week, and grab a pair of these.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited March 2019
    For 6 hundred bucks... you need to run and grab these, and if you don't like them, you can send them to me. Magnepan's Ribbon tweeter is sublime.They are a three hour drive from you and maybe the seller will meet you somewhere in the middle, or the Polkie Express can help out.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Magnepan-Magneplanar-MG2-6R-True-Ribbon-Speakers/143184838662?hash=item21567b4006:g:CTwAAOSwk4hcc2CG

20cb7ovyfji4.jpg
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited March 2019
    I had the 2.5Rs and they were awesome! Almost no sub needed and there was a live sound to them. You'd swear the singers were in the room.

If I didn't need money back when I sold them, I'd still have them.

I had a lot more space back then and played them quite often. 600 is a steal if they're in great condition. I received 550.00 for mine years ago during a recession.

Those real ribbons are superb!
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,553
    stretchl wrote: »
    ^^ 16 hour run, each way, in my car ^^ I know... where is my committment... that might be out of range.

I’d be happy to pick these up for you and hold onto them until I make my annual trek east in late May. Meet you down in Richmond for sure if I’m dont get as far north as DC.

Not many have heard these but they are amazing. I'm playing "let's make a deal" with Klaus right now thanks to @stretchl (I'll PM you what happened if you'd like) and may have these for sale at less than your target price. Getting them to you could be "fun". 100 lbs each.

Nothing definite at the moment but things are moving along.

l6dimuk3znmr.jpg
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    @ALL212 Ahhh, Klaus. I am interested so please do tell. I'm behind already on the first day in the office after spring break, so won't be able to respond immediately. But please share. :) I also have a story to tell. Maybe we should talk by phone later this week?
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • adb3da
    adb3da Posts: 506
    adb3da wrote: »
    Dynaudio Contour S3.4. I’ll admit that I am biased, those are the speakers that I own.

Personal experience is welcomed! Nothing wrong with that and in fact what I'm hoping for!

What do you dig about them?

Honestly, I like pretty much everything about them. Great low end and sweet mid range. Not at all fatiguing. If you can get your ears on them then I highly recommend it. There are many Dynaudio models that you might find that you like.
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    I truly truly appreciate the thoughts, comments, links and suggestions you all shared, gave me lots to think about and a wide net to cast which is always key to a good deal.
    So these followed me home this weekend... JMLab Electra 926, thoughts and impressions to come.
    Suffice to say because of the obvious condition issues, and the fact that the guy was moving in 5 days and just needed them gone, I was able to come to a favorable arrangement.
    Good news is they have cleaned up well so far, still want to redo grill cloth, and work out some of the marring on the wood finish. The drink rings cleaned right off.

u68omzb9a7zd.jpg

gbk48j7otbk8.jpg

qwijvgy8hayk.jpg

mvv9gemvmes9.jpg

8vquwtse8uco.jpg

e7slx2iid9ah.jpg
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• nooshinjohn
    Congrats man
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • MrBuhl
    Thanks @nooshinjohn, honestly, I might have enough left over to grab those Maggies too if I push it and see which ones I like better. I'm watching them right now and giving it serious consideration. I do worry about having to place them into the room, as you can see, I'm a little cramped off the wall.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• nooshinjohn
    DSkip wrote: »
    Forget the Maggie’s. You won’t hear what they are capable of in that room.

Actually, they may do quite well there. I had MG20's cramped into a very small apartment and they were so good there that I got rid of my 2.3TL's...

• erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Nice speaker! I was actually looking at a set myself.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • MrBuhl
    edited March 2019
    None taken @dskip, like you say we work with what we have, and its certainly not ideal.

Any thoughts on if the Electra should be toed? I've tried both ways, I think so far I like them a little more with just the slightest toe-in as they are now, but it will be an evolution.

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    None taken @dskip, like you say we work with what we have, and its certainly not ideal.

Any thoughts on if the Electra should be toed? I've tried both ways, I think so far I like them a little more with just the slightest toe-in as they are now, but it will be an evolution.

Those look amazing! Congrats!

@VR3 should be able to guide you in the ways of the JM Lab speakers!
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • halo
    ALL212 wrote: »
    stretchl wrote: »
    ^^ 16 hour run, each way, in my car ^^ I know... where is my committment... that might be out of range.

I’d be happy to pick these up for you and hold onto them until I make my annual trek east in late May. Meet you down in Richmond for sure if I’m dont get as far north as DC.

Not many have heard these but they are amazing. I'm playing "let's make a deal" with Klaus right now thanks to @stretchl (I'll PM you what happened if you'd like) and may have these for sale at less than your target price. Getting them to you could be "fun". 100 lbs each.

Nothing definite at the moment but things are moving along.

l6dimuk3znmr.jpg

Are the VR2's making their way into your home??
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    Looking good!

I usually do a slight toe in, no tilt

Definitely get them off the wall atleast a foot and try to prevent furniture between them...

Congrats
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,553

[/quote]

Are the VR2's making their way into your home?? [/quote]

Liquids from Odyssey Audio are being negotiated. :)
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • sponger
    sponger Posts: 325
    KEF Q750 retailing at $750/ea didn't make the list? I can't say I've heard them, but aren't they supposed to have trickle-down technology from the lauded LS series?
    Denon X7200WA
    LSiM 705 703 704c
    Denon DP 400
    Yamaha CDC 775
  • MrBuhl
    ^^ Honestly, I have heard some of the KEF^^, and they remind me a little of Wharfedale, in that English "laid back" kinda way. Maybe unfair, probably just an internal bias, but I eliminated KEF for that reason, right or wrong.

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• sponger
    sponger Posts: 325
    ^^ Honestly, I have heard some of the KEF^^, and they remind me a little of Wharfedale, in that English "laid back" kinda way. Maybe unfair, probably just an internal bias, but I eliminated KEF for that reason, right or wrong.

I see. But the LS50 has a rep for being forward, and I figured with aluminum drivers the Q would be anything but laid back. I'll take your word for it, however.
    Denon X7200WA
    LSiM 705 703 704c
    Denon DP 400
    Yamaha CDC 775
  • halo
    edited March 2019
    sponger wrote: »

I see. But the LS50 has a rep for being forward, and I figured with aluminum drivers the Q would be anything but laid back. I'll take your word for it, however.

I have the Q150's and I would not describe them as "laid back" or as exceptionally forward. I think the previous generation of Q100's were more forward, brighter, and, possibly, more fatiguing. The Q150's are not fatiguing at all, to my ears, but they present many details, to me, in music that were veiled or hidden in the past. These are some of the most balanced speakers I've heard, especially with a sub taking care of the lowest notes. I am, of course, just a little biased. So, YMMV.
  • MrBuhl
    edited March 2019
    Hmm thanks for the comments, just goes to show, you have to listen to know for yourself. My bias out of ignorance of the brand probably eliminated a speaker (KEF) that i might have liked, completely unheard.
    I'll have to give them a good listen if I run across a set!

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    Sooooo….How are you liking the Electra's?
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    I know you put a hard stop at $1500, but, just a few hundred more would get you a really nice pair of Usher MD2's. I know a guy that can hook that up.
  • PSOVLSK
    kharp1 wrote: »
    I know you put a hard stop at $1500, but, just a few hundred more would get you a really nice pair of Usher MD2's. I know a guy that can hook that up.

LOVE my MD2's. I don't see them leaving my house for a very long time. As a matter of fact, they may carry me out of the house before the speakers leave :#:D
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    I 3rd the md2's :D
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • MrBuhl
    PSOVLSK wrote: »

Muy Bueno!

At first I wasn't sure, I definitely was impressed with just how good the Lsim705's are in that this wasn't the slam dunk at first listen I was expecting... But in the end, I believe these are definitely keepers.

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885

Muy Bueno!

At first I wasn't sure, I definitely was impressed with just how good the Lsim705's are in that this wasn't the slam dunk at first listen I was expecting... But in the end, I believe these are definitely keepers.

The older Electra’s are ok. I really wish you could have grabbed stangmans Arias for 1750$ they are exceptional, I think they sound like baby kantas. I’ve heard a lot of the focal line. The Aria is a giant killer speaker! I have them, and new Electra’s. The Electra’s being superior. If Sh$t hit the fan, I would be totally ok living with the Arias. They are super good! Not to mention easy to drive.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    kharp1 wrote: »

LOVE my MD2's. I don't see them leaving my house for a very long time. As a matter of fact, they may carry me out of the house before the speakers leave :#:D

You can't trust Paul, he's a Texan that speaks Texan, but doesn't own a pair of boots...just sayin'

:D:D:p:pB)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • PSOVLSK
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    You can't trust Paul, he's a Texan that speaks Texan, but doesn't own a pair of boots...just sayin'

:D:D:p:pB)

I ain't got no idear whut yer talkin bout.