This Should Be Interesting - Help Me Spend Money - New (Used) Tower Speakers...

Comments

• dromundsdromunds Posts: 8,362
    If you can get your ears in those Alon’s they may amaze you. I have some Dahlquist DQ-30i floorstanders and they have amazing imaging and soundstage. Check out the Alon pedigree and you’ll know what I’m talking about.
  • erniejadeerniejade Posts: 5,107
    MrBuhl wrote: »
    @erniejade ^^ Big difference ^^ between 2ce and 3 meaning going up in number is for the better or worse? Trying to figure out the nomenclature.

The 3a being better, clearer, more bass, clearer mids.
    Den: Lumin D1,Wireworld Silver Eclipse, KEF LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Jolida D9,

Living Room:,T+A PA 1530R, Tyler Highland H2, Aries Mini, High Fidelity Reveal RCA, Grant Fidelity Tube Dac 11, W4S recovery, Wireworld Platinum Starlight, PS Audio Direct Stream JR.

Have but haven't used in a while: LH Labs VI Dac, Cayin SCD50T

• mrbironmrbiron Posts: 5,148
    https://www.zuaudio.com/loudspeakers/omen-dirty-weekend-2

Be quick, in a week, and grab a pair of these.
    Zu Audio Omen MK-1B's, Peachtree Decco65, Bryston BDA-2, Cheap TT, PS Audio UPC200, PS Audio AC3's, Zu Mission SC's, HTPC, One, Bottlehead Crack w/Speedball, Senn's MD HD600
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 21,578
    edited March 24
    For 6 hundred bucks... you need to run and grab these, and if you don't like them, you can send them to me. Magnepan's Ribbon tweeter is sublime.They are a three hour drive from you and maybe the seller will meet you somewhere in the middle, or the Polkie Express can help out.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Magnepan-Magneplanar-MG2-6R-True-Ribbon-Speakers/143184838662?hash=item21567b4006:g:CTwAAOSwk4hcc2CG

20cb7ovyfji4.jpg
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-LX701, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
  • Tony MTony M Posts: 8,366
    edited March 25
    I had the 2.5Rs and they were awesome! Almost no sub needed and there was a live sound to them. You'd swear the singers were in the room.

If I didn't need money back when I sold them, I'd still have them.

I had a lot more space back then and played them quite often. 600 is a steal if they're in great condition. I received 550.00 for mine years ago during a recession.

Those real ribbons are superb!
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • ALL212ALL212 Posts: 1,146
    stretchl wrote: »
    ^^ 16 hour run, each way, in my car ^^ I know... where is my committment... that might be out of range.

I’d be happy to pick these up for you and hold onto them until I make my annual trek east in late May. Meet you down in Richmond for sure if I’m dont get as far north as DC.

Not many have heard these but they are amazing. I'm playing "let's make a deal" with Klaus right now thanks to @stretchl (I'll PM you what happened if you'd like) and may have these for sale at less than your target price. Getting them to you could be "fun". 100 lbs each.

Nothing definite at the moment but things are moving along.

l6dimuk3znmr.jpg
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • stretchlstretchl Posts: 1,298
    @ALL212 Ahhh, Klaus. I am interested so please do tell. I'm behind already on the first day in the office after spring break, so won't be able to respond immediately. But please share. :) I also have a story to tell. Maybe we should talk by phone later this week?
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Yaqin MC-10t --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    http://StretchPhotography.com
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • adb3daadb3da Posts: 486
    adb3da wrote: »
    Dynaudio Contour S3.4. I’ll admit that I am biased, those are the speakers that I own.

Personal experience is welcomed! Nothing wrong with that and in fact what I'm hoping for!

What do you dig about them?

Honestly, I like pretty much everything about them. Great low end and sweet mid range. Not at all fatiguing. If you can get your ears on them then I highly recommend it. There are many Dynaudio models that you might find that you like.
  • MrBuhlMrBuhl Posts: 2,427
    I truly truly appreciate the thoughts, comments, links and suggestions you all shared, gave me lots to think about and a wide net to cast which is always key to a good deal.
    So these followed me home this weekend... JMLab Electra 926, thoughts and impressions to come.
    Suffice to say because of the obvious condition issues, and the fact that the guy was moving in 5 days and just needed them gone, I was able to come to a favorable arrangement.
    Good news is they have cleaned up well so far, still want to redo grill cloth, and work out some of the marring on the wood finish. The drink rings cleaned right off.

u68omzb9a7zd.jpg

gbk48j7otbk8.jpg

qwijvgy8hayk.jpg

mvv9gemvmes9.jpg

8vquwtse8uco.jpg

e7slx2iid9ah.jpg
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

Congrats man
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-LX701, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
    Thanks @nooshinjohn, honestly, I might have enough left over to grab those Maggies too if I push it and see which ones I like better. I'm watching them right now and giving it serious consideration. I do worry about having to place them into the room, as you can see, I'm a little cramped off the wall.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• DSkipDSkip Posts: 16,282
    Forget the Maggie’s. You won’t hear what they are capable of in that room.
    DSkip wrote: »
    Forget the Maggie’s. You won’t hear what they are capable of in that room.

Actually, they may do quite well there. I had MG20's cramped into a very small apartment and they were so good there that I got rid of my 2.3TL's...

• erniejadeerniejade Posts: 5,107
    Nice speaker! I was actually looking at a set myself.
    Den: Lumin D1,Wireworld Silver Eclipse, KEF LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Jolida D9,

Living Room:,T+A PA 1530R, Tyler Highland H2, Aries Mini, High Fidelity Reveal RCA, Grant Fidelity Tube Dac 11, W4S recovery, Wireworld Platinum Starlight, PS Audio Direct Stream JR.

Have but haven't used in a while: LH Labs VI Dac, Cayin SCD50T

• DSkipDSkip Posts: 16,282
    I’m worried less about the room and more about his ability or desire to pull them out from the front wall. The positioning of the current speakers are less than ideal and would be even worse with Maggie’s.

No offense intended buhl as we work with the space we have.
    edited March 25
    None taken @dskip, like you say we work with what we have, and its certainly not ideal.

Any thoughts on if the Electra should be toed? I've tried both ways, I think so far I like them a little more with just the slightest toe-in as they are now, but it will be an evolution.

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• halohalo Posts: 5,279
    None taken @dskip, like you say we work with what we have, and its certainly not ideal.

Any thoughts on if the Electra should be toed? I've tried both ways, I think so far I like them a little more with just the slightest toe-in as they are now, but it will be an evolution.

Those look amazing! Congrats!

@VR3 should be able to guide you in the ways of the JM Lab speakers!
    ALL212 wrote: »
    stretchl wrote: »
    ^^ 16 hour run, each way, in my car ^^ I know... where is my committment... that might be out of range.

I’d be happy to pick these up for you and hold onto them until I make my annual trek east in late May. Meet you down in Richmond for sure if I’m dont get as far north as DC.

Not many have heard these but they are amazing. I'm playing "let's make a deal" with Klaus right now thanks to @stretchl (I'll PM you what happened if you'd like) and may have these for sale at less than your target price. Getting them to you could be "fun". 100 lbs each.

Nothing definite at the moment but things are moving along.

l6dimuk3znmr.jpg

Are the VR2's making their way into your home??
  • VR3VR3 Posts: 23,556
    Looking good!

I usually do a slight toe in, no tilt

Definitely get them off the wall atleast a foot and try to prevent furniture between them...

Congrats
    - Not Tom

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro
  • ALL212ALL212 Posts: 1,146

[/quote]

Are the VR2's making their way into your home?? [/quote]

Liquids from Odyssey Audio are being negotiated. :)
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • spongersponger Posts: 325
    KEF Q750 retailing at $750/ea didn't make the list? I can't say I've heard them, but aren't they supposed to have trickle-down technology from the lauded LS series?
    Denon AVR 3312CI
    S15
    Sony 790S
    Denon DP 300f
    ^^ Honestly, I have heard some of the KEF^^, and they remind me a little of Wharfedale, in that English "laid back" kinda way. Maybe unfair, probably just an internal bias, but I eliminated KEF for that reason, right or wrong.

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• spongersponger Posts: 325
    ^^ Honestly, I have heard some of the KEF^^, and they remind me a little of Wharfedale, in that English "laid back" kinda way. Maybe unfair, probably just an internal bias, but I eliminated KEF for that reason, right or wrong.

I see. But the LS50 has a rep for being forward, and I figured with aluminum drivers the Q would be anything but laid back. I'll take your word for it, however.
    Denon AVR 3312CI
    S15
    Sony 790S
    Denon DP 300f
    edited March 29
    sponger wrote: »

I see. But the LS50 has a rep for being forward, and I figured with aluminum drivers the Q would be anything but laid back. I'll take your word for it, however.

I have the Q150's and I would not describe them as "laid back" or as exceptionally forward. I think the previous generation of Q100's were more forward, brighter, and, possibly, more fatiguing. The Q150's are not fatiguing at all, to my ears, but they present many details, to me, in music that were veiled or hidden in the past. These are some of the most balanced speakers I've heard, especially with a sub taking care of the lowest notes. I am, of course, just a little biased. So, YMMV.
    edited March 30
    Hmm thanks for the comments, just goes to show, you have to listen to know for yourself. My bias out of ignorance of the brand probably eliminated a speaker (KEF) that i might have liked, completely unheard.
    I'll have to give them a good listen if I run across a set!

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• PSOVLSKPSOVLSK Posts: 4,140
    Sooooo….How are you liking the Electra's?
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • kharp1kharp1 Posts: 3,410
    I know you put a hard stop at $1500, but, just a few hundred more would get you a really nice pair of Usher MD2's. I know a guy that can hook that up.
    Main System:
    Joule-Electra LA 100 MKIII Upgraded by Rich Brkich Pre
    Butler Audio TBD 2250 Amp
    PS Audio DirectStream DAC and MemoryPlayer Transport
    LSA-1 Statement
    SVS SB4000 & SB2000
    Wireworld Equinox 7 bi-wire, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 IC

Secondary Rig:
    Parasound P5, Audio Electronics by Cary Constellation
    Marsh a200s, Audio Elecrtonics by Cary Hercules
    Pioneer Elite DV-45a, Denon DVD-2910
    Klipsch Epic CF-1, Vandersteen 3CE sig
    Analysus Plus Oval

Backup Gear:
    Pass Labs Aleph 30, McCormack DNA-125, Parasound A21
    Marantz SA-14S1
    Usher CP-6311/Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference Monitor, LSA-1
  • PSOVLSKPSOVLSK Posts: 4,140
    kharp1 wrote: »
    I know you put a hard stop at $1500, but, just a few hundred more would get you a really nice pair of Usher MD2's. I know a guy that can hook that up.

LOVE my MD2's. I don't see them leaving my house for a very long time. As a matter of fact, they may carry me out of the house before the speakers leave :#:D
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • marvda1marvda1 Posts: 3,696
    I 3rd the md2's :D
    Amplifiers: MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800,Kinki Studio EX-M1
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Transport/Dac: L.K.S MH-DA004, North Star Design USB dac32, Cayin Venus cd-100i,
    Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkI
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic 2, Analysis Plus Black Mesh Oval 9,
    Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
    Interconnects: Analysis Plus Solo Crystal Oval, Analysis Plus Copper Oval-In Micro,
    Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
    Power Cables by: Cullen Cables, 6sons Audio, Swiss Cables
    PSOVLSK wrote: »
    Sooooo….How are you liking the Electra's?

Muy Bueno!

At first I wasn't sure, I definitely was impressed with just how good the Lsim705's are in that this wasn't the slam dunk at first listen I was expecting... But in the end, I believe these are definitely keepers.

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre