What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Comments

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,007
    edited March 2019
    ...popcorn

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Something new afoot for the coulson rig...
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,973
    joecoulson wrote: »
    What!?! Besides the M700s???
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,408
    Gerres26 wrote: »
    Just added this bad boy to my rig...

jtkfzzo8ichw.jpg

My first step into the tube world, and boy does this Modwright sound sweet!

PURDY!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,421
    steveinaz wrote: »
    I just realized that in 2018-2019, I replaced my entire system (sans my power center). 2018 brought the PSB Imagine T2's, Parasound A21, and Kimber 8VS bi-wire spkr cables; 2019 brought the PS Audio Stellar GCD, Bluesound Node 2i, and Kimber Hero XLR's. Holy crap, how did I sneak this major upgrade past the wife? Awesome.

Prolly shouldn't look in her closet then..... :blush:
  • joecoulson
    edited March 2019
    jdjohn wrote: »
    What!?! Besides the M700s???

Lol. No just That. Forgot I already posted about it. Just excited is all :D
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,901
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Okay so I did some comparison between my XLR's and my RCA IC's and there is a definite difference that makes the XLR's loose terribly. First they ad a harshness to the high frequencies that make it unpleasant to listen to. Also with the regular IC's the sound stage gets wider, higher, lower, deeper and far smoother and greatly detailed. Listening to The Beatles' "Yesterday" you can pick out the exact location of each instrument and it's depth on stage by inches. Gonna post this info on my CA post.

Hate to sound like a broken record, but your first mistake was to go to monoprice for a balanced cable. Just sayin'...

Up your game a bit with Audioquest, Kimber, or better if the wallet allows.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,526
    tonyb wrote: »
    Hate to sound like a broken record, but your first mistake was to go to monoprice for a balanced cable. Just sayin'...

Up your game a bit with Audioquest, Kimber, or better if the wallet allows.

Why is it a "mistake"? I'm currently getting amazing sound with them in my system, running from the stellar pre to S300.
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,172
    Paid Backert to do some tasty mods on my Rhumba 1. Should have it back in a little while!
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,937
    Installed this bad boy... Really transformed the rig

ud2ui5zs0dp5.jpg
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • joecoulson
    Optimus or the speaker?
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    stangman67 wrote: »
    Paid Backert to do some tasty mods on my Rhumba 1. Should have it back in a little while!

You've got a pre and an amp modded by Mr. Backert. Pretty Schweet!
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • VR3
    Optimus or the speaker?

Optimus Prime!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,080
    stangman67 wrote: »

Did you do the secret bass mods that are hard as nails to get details on?
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,172
    edited March 2019
    They didn’t tell me much. They recommended a power supply and gain stage upgrade. I did everything they recommended and we will see how it pans out. I originally sent it in to have some hiss looked at and mentioned I’d like to get whatever easy upgrades are available and those 2 are what I ended up with. According to Andy it’s pretty much on par with the 1.3 now
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,080
    I'm expecting delivery of a Revalation Audio Labs CryoSilver Reference umbilical power cord for the new-to-me Cary ...

and ahem, today I ordered some new replacement lamps for the burnt back light bulbs for the volt and current meters
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    Tomorrow the Audioquest Meteor speaker cables will get here along with the new 72v DBS boxes.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • joecoulson
    Sweet. Pics when hooked up John please.
  • joecoulson
    Can we get a review of how Prime changed the rig trey? Imaging? Dynamics etc.
  • nooshinjohn
    Sweet. Pics when hooked up John please.

No problem, but I may not get them in the rig until Saturday. I have to open up the wall behind the turntable to swap cables out.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • VR3
    He really brought out the cheese one liners and dragged out the chorus versus getting the ending down right
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    I had a set of AQ gibraltar's and Rocket 33's and both went to the way side in favor of the acoustic zen satori cables..

The AQ's was a let down in comparisons! just me 2 cents or 1 depending on how you feel about my opinions ;)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • joecoulson
    At the recommendation of @voltz I have these on the way to me

y1yv9hpey89j.png
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,901
    Cool gents, nice cables, have them myself. One of the best out there for a midfi system. If your looking for a cable to breathe some new life into your system, these are them.

Pair them with the AZ matrix 2's or higher IC's. I've also found the Wireworld Eclipse 7 IC's work well with them also. Have used Analysis Plus crystal ovals with these Satori's also with good results.

Looking forward to your thoughts.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,035
    Soldered in 6 new led panel lights in one of my monoblocks. One side completed and one more to go.
    qqkguo67lxou.jpg
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    I rotated the SDA2BTL's back into the lineup. Although my room is way less than ideal they sound really good. Much more meaty than the S60's.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,482
    I pulled the Joule out of the rack to use my Deoxit vacuum tube survival kit received yesterday along with 100 MFSL record sleeves. The Joule was dropping the left channel for some time and after a lot of sleuthing and hand wringing, it has behaved itself after I last removed and replaced the tubes several times. Swapping tubes never changed the channel, so I figured the problem might have been a dirty tube socket. These were never cleaned before today and it showed. Wish I’d thought of getting this kit (or at least a very thin brush) much earlier. At least now I also have all new caps on the power supply side. Time to think about doing the rest of the capacitors.
  • nooshinjohn
    They are full-run bi-wires... basically TWO pairs for the price of one!yio4f8dfapzz.jpg

zm879rqkhkha.jpg

• Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    I have that same carpet.... I'm gonna replace it soon tho...
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,421
    very nice Mr. John ;)