What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Comments

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    I LOVE turntables so much, I just don't want to go back down that road again.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited January 2019
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Then I will definitely have to invest in some stands. :)

Amusingly enough, I was just broaching that concept (the stands, that is) to Mrs. H.

Well, you did mention the Carver Crimson 275 integrated to her and, IIRC, she gave you the green light. Since you've not yet made that purchase, I'd say you're good to go on the stands ;)
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • halo

Amusingly enough, I was just broaching that concept (the stands, that is) to Mrs. H.

Well, you did mention the Carver Crimson 275 integrated to her and, IIRC, she gave you the green light. Since you've not yet made that purchase, I'd say you're good to go on the stands ;)
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • halo
    Vanilla is acting glitchy. "Unkownkn column 'Active' in 'field list'

Anyone here speak "Vanilla?"

@KennethSwauger ?
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    halo wrote: »

@KennethSwauger ?

It's been glitchy ever since the new site went live...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    edited January 2019

@KennethSwauger ?

Saw that earlier when trying to edit a post. It'll display that error, but if you navigate away to a new page, and then come back to the thread where you just made your post & edit, you'll see that the edit actually did save successfully, despite the error message.

But at least the Recent Discussions auto refreshes in Firefox now! Yay!
  • halo
    Clipdat wrote: »

Saw that earlier when trying to edit a post. It'll display that error, but if you navigate away to a new page, and then come back to the thread where you just made your post & edit, you'll see that the edit actually did save successfully, despite the error message.

But at least the Recent Discussions auto refreshes in Firefox now! Yay!

Thanks Drew!
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Picked up a ModWright PH 9.0 Phono Stage, sounding very good right out of the gate, sporting some cheap stock tubes no less.

z2qvrgqufd3b.jpg
  • halo
    Picked up a ModWright PH 9.0 Phono Stage, sounding very good right out of the gate, sporting some cheap stock tubes no less.

z2qvrgqufd3b.jpg

Very nice! I used to own a ModWright modified Sony DVP-NS9100ES (Signature Truth Mod). Very solid piece of equipment with great sound. Congrats!!
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314

z2qvrgqufd3b.jpg

Very nice! I used to own a ModWright modified Sony DVP-NS9100ES (Signature Truth Mod). Very solid piece of equipment with great sound. Congrats!!

Thank you Victor, I have a ModWright LS 100 Line Stage also, one of the deciding factors on going with the Phono Stage. And yes, very solid equipment with great sound.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    verb wrote: »
    VR3 wrote: »
    Change out that outlet to the pangea 20 Amp outlet, built like a tank and affordable

Yep. The generic outlet doesn’t have enough retention to withstand the weight of the cable. Another rabbit hole! :smile:

Got this hospital grade outlet for 4 bucks. Made by Cooper. Built like a tank - I expect better retention of the AC9's while plugged in! :smile:
    2ozt6rm247hw.jpg
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,907
    edited January 2019
    Change out that outlet to the pangea 20 Amp outlet, built like a tank and affordable

Yep. The generic outlet doesn’t have enough retention to withstand the weight of the cable. Another rabbit hole! :smile:

Got this hospital grade outlet for 4 bucks. Made by Cooper. Built like a tank - I expect better retention of the AC9's while plugged in! :smile:
    2ozt6rm247hw.jpg

I just installed 2 Pangea Audio Premier AC Outlets (20 Amp White) I got here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DV0LXKQ?ref_=pe_2640190_261118450_302_E_DDE_

I use them on my Cullen gold power cable and Signal power cable and they work very well, really hold the plugs into the outlet.

0pqoqg6mziow.jpg
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926

Hmmm... I wonder if I have $2500 of saved-up opportunity by passing on that amplifier...

It is a testable hypothesis. B)
  • verb
    Milito wrote: »

2ozt6rm247hw.jpg

I just installed 2 Pangea Audio Premier AC Outlets (20 Amp White) I got here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DV0LXKQ?ref_=pe_2640190_261118450_302_E_DDE_

I use them on my Cullen gold power cable and Signal power cable and they work very well, really hold the plugs into the outlet.

0pqoqg6mziow.jpg

Yep. I had my eye on those as well. The hospital grade outlet retains much better after doing some static testing (not installed yet), hope to install it this weekend! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mhardy6647
    static testing...

eozmibifgp3w.png
  • verb
    LOL! Not that type of static testing, dear sir! :smile:
  • mhardy6647
    edited January 2019
    oh :(

Here I thought this was a fun hobby...

ikt9j9ddd9bs.png
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,907
    Well if the ones I got start losing their hold, I'll look for those.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • Clipdat
    What did I do to my stereo rig today? Somehow managed to break/loosen one of the ceramic tube sockets on my Backert Labs Rhumba 1.2 Extreme.

9%20pins%20gold-plate%20tube%20socket%20ceramics-001.jpg

See that center gold disc/slug that holds the white ceramic portion in place? Well there's now a slight amount of space between it and the ceramic part which allows the ceramic part to rotate slightly CW and CCW and make an unpleasant ceramic on metal sound. When you insert a tube and fully seat it, it doesn't rotate anymore. Functionality seems unaffected, but knowing it's messed up is irritating to me.

I blame this damn Upsale.. er Upscale Audio RCA tubes with excessive corrosion on the pins that I swapped in. Should've stopped when I felt how much resistance there was compared to the last tubes I had in, but NOOOO. Well now I have a loose tube socket to show for it.

I feel like I am too dumb for tube gear at this moment. Sigh. Oh well, life lesson. Good excuse to send the Backert in to get the socket fixed and to get the new version of the feet plus other "upgrades".

Except sending it in will mean I'm preamp-less.

l2R0ebkWSmuqExsfS.gif
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Easily done. Almost did it with the Vincent right out of the box. Sorry Drew.
  • mhardy6647
    Just my 2 cents: Put the blame not on the tubes but the sockets. Sorry, but based on the description of what happened (and, based on everything @Clipdat's ever posted, I am sure he didn't go all orang-utan on insertin' tubes into them) -- this is symptomatic of poor quality sockets.

As the "hams" and DIY hifi crowd has known for decades, it is hard to beat NOS sockets. NOS ceramic sockets of high quality for 9 pin tubes are probably pretty pricey now, which is probably why equipment manufacturers are using modern "standard goods". :(
  • verb
    OMG Drew! Very sorry to hear. My EAR pre has a flimsy interface (PCB is unsupported) to the tube sockets, which concerns me.
  • Clipdat
    edited January 2019
    Just my 2 cents: Put the blame not on the tubes but the sockets. Sorry, but based on the description of what happened (and, based on everything @Clipdat's ever posted, I am sure he didn't go all orang-utan on insertin' tubes into them) -- this is symptomatic of poor quality sockets.

As the "hams" and DIY hifi crowd has known for decades, it is hard to beat NOS sockets. NOS ceramic sockets of high quality for 9 pin tubes are probably pretty pricey now, which is probably why equipment manufacturers are using modern "standard goods". :(

Oh no, make no mistake, I "orang-utan'd" the **** out of it. Boneheaded move.

This is why I shouldn't touch any audio gear when I'm tired and exhausted. Wasn't thinking clearly.
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,179
    edited January 2019
    Yikes. That happens. I’m sending my pre in to backert as well for a few upgrades and a look through to see if they can replicate my hiss problem. Might be a gain issue with my amp, we will see. Great cs as always from backert
    Post edited by stangman67 on
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • Clipdat
    edited January 2019
    I agree, Zach. Andy emailed me back the same day just a few hours after I emailed him, and it was well outside of normal business hours.

And, I purchased the preamp used, not new directly from them. They are a real stand-up company.
  • Clipdat
    Spent $286 shipping 3 boxes from the west coast to the east coast. Yay egregious FedEx shipping rates.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Where do you live Clipdat?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Clipdat
    Where do you live Clipdat?

SF bay area.
  • verb
    Found these little guys to help with power cable routing (Pangea AC9).
    ddfuw3gsyvry.jpg