4K Blu-ray. Any early adopters out there?

Comments

• honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    edited October 2018
    44tomxsc9u7v.jpeg

That is pretty much exactly what popped up when I put disc 2 in.
  • StantonZ
    StantonZ Posts: 439
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Question; Does anyone own either a Sony OLED or any of the latest LG OLED's?
    Any opinions or reviews on them?

Before I bought my Sony XBR65-900F I was looking at their OLEDs, but was a little concerned about burn-in. I checked with a friend of mine who bought an LG OLED last year, and asked if he had any issues. He said that a news channel logo was burned into his screen, but other than that it was okay. So, I went with the Sony LED. :)

This should not happen with a properly calibrated (OLED light not "cranked"), properly used TV (run normal compensation cycles...which means not on 24/7). I've owned the first flat OLED for a few years now (check sig).

Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR (5.0.2); LG OLED77C2 4K TV
    (4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps, Mills, and RDO-194 tweets (R/L F/R)
    (2) Polk RC80i (Top Middle)
    Polk CS300 center channel
    Analog: B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
    Digital: Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD Blu-Ray
    Bedroom: Arylic Up2Stream AMPv3 driving Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets
  • StantonZ
    StantonZ Posts: 439
    edited November 2018
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I hate to burst your bubble BUT most everything is shot in 8k and down converted to 4k. 4k panels will be shorter lived than 720/1080 panels.

I don't think so. Even if everything was shot/mastered in 8k (very little it is at this point in time), there is no practical 8k distribution medium (news flash: broadcast TV is still 1080i). 4k streaming finally drove 4k TVs, and capturing live events beyond 4k (even if they could distribute it) is not cost effective. 8k won't see wide-spread adoption for many years.
    Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR (5.0.2); LG OLED77C2 4K TV
    (4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps, Mills, and RDO-194 tweets (R/L F/R)
    (2) Polk RC80i (Top Middle)
    Polk CS300 center channel
    Analog: B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
    Digital: Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD Blu-Ray
    Bedroom: Arylic Up2Stream AMPv3 driving Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets
  • @StantonZ Actually 8K first appeared in Japan several years ago (as per usual they are way ahead) However you’re absolutely right about it not being ready for mass consumption for years
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    With 4K, resolution is no longer an issue in most home system displays. Maybe an iMax screen in a theater might benefit from an 8K source but that is also debatable. The real issues with display technology are motion blur, contrast, getting deep black levels, accurate color rendition, and having a reliable display that does not have image retention issues. I suppose an 8K display may hit the market at some point, but it would mainly be for marketing reasons to get people to “upgrade” to something new. Even then, without major improvements in WiFi speed and bandwidth the display would be useless for most people who would not have a disc spinner any more.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Imagine my surprise when I saw this come up on the screen after I popped that CD into the Oppo UDP-205!
    I fully expected the usual pic of the white album cover to come up and not the Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab pic ;):)

I think the Oppo connects to Gracenote’s service to look up metadata and cover art for an inserted CD. It will report back whatever someone last identified a disc as being. Sometimes it can be way off, or not find info at all.

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    edited November 2018
    Considering that many countries outside of the good ol'USA have download speeds in excess of 100 gigabytes and some pass 200 gigabytes I feel it will be quicker than most realize. Japan has blazing fast speeds that make our fastest look like 56k dial up.

Either way i was just repeating what i had been reading at that point in the motion picture industry. One also must remember what drove the earliest technology from video tape to blu-ray was the adult film industry and not Hollywood. I believe now it is more sports but i could be way off base
  • Emlyn wrote: »
    Imagine my surprise when I saw this come up on the screen after I popped that CD into the Oppo UDP-205!
    I fully expected the usual pic of the white album cover to come up and not the Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab pic ;):)

I think the Oppo connects to Gracenote’s service to look up metadata and cover art for an inserted CD. It will report back whatever someone last identified a disc as being. Sometimes it can be way off, or not find info at all.

Actually the UDP-203/5 doesn't do that anymore. The BDP-103/5 did and you would see the Gracenote tag beneath the cover art. The owners manual of the 205 does not say where it gets the cover art info from. It does not display the cover art for every CD though.
  • pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Considering that many countries outside of the good ol'USA have download speeds in excess of 100 gigabytes and some pass 200 gigabytes I feel it will be quicker than most realize. Japan has blazing fast speeds that make our fastest look like 56k dial up.

@ptdogg2 No disrespect buddy, but you made a very common mistake there. A byte is 8 bits. Most do not know there is a difference between a bit and a byte and erroneously say megabytes or gigabytes instead of megabits. I gig is a billion bits and a meg is a million bits also. No one has speeds as fast as 100 to 200 gigabytes or even gigabits at this point in time outside of a laboratory.
  • pitdogg2

@ptdogg2 No disrespect buddy, but you made a very common mistake there. A byte is 8 bits. Most do not know there is a difference between a bit and a byte and erroneously say megabytes or gigabytes instead of megabits. I gig is a billion bits and a meg is a million bits also. No one has speeds as fast as 100 to 200 gigabytes or even gigabits at this point in time outside of a laboratory.

Well so i let the phone do the spelling lol.

My bad you are correct it is common there to have 2Gbps downloads and 1Gbps uploads speeds. I got confused with the whole conversion of Mbps
    I apologize.
  • @pitdogg2 Currently Comcast is offering 2gbps symmetrical speeds via Fiber Optic in different parts of the country.
    I lot of providers large and small are offering 1gig speeds over copper using DOCSIS 3.1 technology. The only catch is that it's not symmetrical up and down. It is REALLY lopsided (meaning the download speeds might be 1 gbps, but the upload speeads are MUCH LOWER) I had it with RCN before I was finally able to get gig speed with Verizon FiOS fiber. FiOS is symmetrical.
    So don't feel bad about the Japanese ;)
    Once I can save up enough to get a nice 4K OLED, I'll be able to stream 4K Netflix on my TiVo BOLT with no problems whatsoever.
  • pitdogg2
    Yea Metronet is doing our whole town here in fiber to the residence it is pricey. The Verizon FiOS was developed here in my town but they chose to start out east to drop it to the residence. I had thought they no longer supported it for some reason.
  • Verizon is no longer building the FiOS out. They are only completing it in towns where it already is.
  • pitdogg2
    Verizon is no longer building the FiOS out. They are only completing it in towns where it already is.

Gotcha.
    For some reason i had thought they abandoned it altogether.
  • Unfortunately because of a lot of things which have come together like a perfect storm, cable providers are just not making the money that they used to with cable TV anymore. Providing internet service for cord cutters seems to be the way to go, but wireless is apparently the wave of the future. 5G is coming late this year and next year with gigabit speeds promised.
    So Verizon is building out their 5G wireless network and FiOS is no longer a priority. Fiber Optic is the best way to move all of that data and that is what all of the cell carriers are using to get the signals to the towers. However it is extremely expensive to run and splice fiber optic cable.

(just to clarify about the FiOS at my place. It has been here in Washington, D.C. for some years.However it was available on some streets and not on others. You could literally cross the street and walk right out of FiOS coverage. They finally got to my neighborhood in 2015 and I was EXCITED and ran around telling all of my neighbors it was coming. Then I ran smack into a brick wall, because I live in a small apartment building. I had to fight for two solid years to get it and finally did the day before my birthday in January of this year)

This is a subject for another thread though.
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    Verizon is no longer building the FiOS out. They are only completing it in towns where it already is.

Gotcha.
    For some reason i had thought they abandoned it altogether.

Cablevision (Optimum) has had a stranglehold on FiOS where I live, and many other parts of LI. SO I am not surprised at all to hear that Verizon isn't fighting them anymore.
    Now I hear that Optimum is running new fiber optic lines in certain test areas, they plan on offering download speeds up to 1 Gbps once that's complete, but for now they max out at 400 Mbps.

So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • pitdogg2
    edited November 2018
    Unfortunately because of a lot of things which have come together like a perfect storm, cable providers are just not making the money that they used to with cable TV anymore.
    This is a subject for another thread though.

That is because the content providers keep jacking up the rebroadcast fees. One of the reason I'm glad to be a 30yr. Dish subscriber. Charlie E. The owner of dish don't just bend over when they come to shake him down for more money. Like years in the past he will just drop them like a hot stone. NBC this summer trued to hijack more money from Dish and Charlie told them to pound sand. When the new show season came around and millions and millions of folks were not getting the content the advertising companies that paid multi-millions for time on NBC had a problem with that. One month into the season we had NBC stuff back. I wish more providers would do that then maybe just maybe things would change. Many years ago i put up a 40' TV antenna tower with a very very good channel master deep fringe antenna. I could pick up all the network OTA broadcast which by law they all must provide. I was able to get affiliates almost 100mi. away and the OTA programming is not all compressed like all the mp4 cable provider's it is night and day better in all aspects. Downside is it is hard to get that programming on a DVR to watch later. Yes there are OTA DVR's but the antenna needs to rotate to get the different broadcast channels. NBS,CBS and ABC dont not come from the same direction. I have yet to find a way to auto rotate the antenna to get the channels while I'm away. Even if there was you almost always need to tweak it a bit because of wind and weather.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Yes, fiber optic cables are expensive to repair, but usually the company doesn't pay for it, the person/company that broke it does. Most your phone cables are fiber optic, broke a few in my day. Very expensive to repair as each strand needs to be spliced back together in a special way....and there could be thousands of strands in a Fiber optic cable.

Cable companies, like comcast, are pricing themselves out of the market. If they are to rely only on internet services.....what do you think that does for the price of internet ?

5G, while it sounds nice, has some health related issues attached to it as well. You pick your poisons I guess. Pros and cons to everything.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • I agree with yous guys completely. However this is a subject do another thread. This has little to do with 4K (unless your primary source of 4K content is streaming. In which case you need some good, high speed Wideband internet service-Wideband being speeds higher than about 20mbps. Anything lower is just Broadband)
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    @pitdogg2 Currently Comcast is offering 2gbps symmetrical speeds via Fiber Optic in different parts of the country.
    I lot of providers large and small are offering 1gig speeds over copper using DOCSIS 3.1 technology. The only catch is that it's not symmetrical up and down. It is REALLY lopsided (meaning the download speeds might be 1 gbps, but the upload speeads are MUCH LOWER) I had it with RCN before I was finally able to get gig speed with Verizon FiOS fiber. FiOS is symmetrical.
    Once I can save up enough to get a nice 4K OLED, I'll be able to stream 4K Netflix on my TiVo BOLT with no problems whatsoever.

Really. You started a thread 2.5 years ago that's still going strong, so what if people post about broadband/internet/streaming? Scrolling up a bit, I see a couple of your posts that deals with fiber optics, broadband, etc. but that's OK? :|

It's not like it's a For Sale thread that's getting all mucked up, but if you prefer it stays out of your sandbox, so be it.

So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • polrbehr wrote: »
    @pitdogg2 Currently Comcast is offering 2gbps symmetrical speeds via Fiber Optic in different parts of the country.

Really. You started a thread 2.5 years ago that's still going strong, so what if people post about broadband/internet/streaming? Scrolling up a bit, I see a couple of your posts that deals with fiber optics, broadband, etc. but that's OK? :|

It's not like it's a For Sale thread that's getting all mucked up, but if you prefer it stays out of your sandbox, so be it.

Dude lighten up!!!
    I see other people on this forum saying the same thing when a thread goes off topic.
  • Hey does anyone know if the audio only HDMI output on the Oppo UDP-205 get deactivated when you use the analog audio outputs??
  • pitdogg2
    Hey does anyone know if the audio only HDMI output on the Oppo UDP-205 get deactivated when you use the analog audio outputs??

You could start a new thread instead of muckin up this fine thread :D:D:D

So you want to use both of the ess saber dacs?
    Why?
  • You could start a new thread instead of muckin up this fine thread :D:D:D

So you want to use both of the ess saber dacs?
    Why?[/quote]

SHUT
    UP
    YOOOOUUUUU!! :p

I wanted to compare the audio only HDMI output (which has the jitter reduction circuitry-that works quite well btw) to the analog outputs. Nothing wrong with having a little fun is there????
  • pitdogg2
    Nope nothing wrong at all. Did you check the manual to see? The big difference is the analog side completely uses one of the of the sabers in its entirety where the HDMI side splits that saber for dual use. Will it make a difference sound wise dunno?
    Good luck report back. FWIW I'd think you would be able to since those are completely separate circuits.
  • Check the manual???
    WHO DOES THAT?!?!?!
  • gcgkq5dx9gzi.jpeg
    k6xpt1j44mfx.jpeg
    ies8mtfmykc1.jpeg

One pair went to the Oppo UDP-205 4K combi player and one pair went to the Pioneer Elite DVL-91 Laserdisc combi player. Now that the playing field is level the audible differences between them on the analog outs isn’t as big as it used to be. The Oppo definitely wins out sounding smoother and more coherent. However the Pioneer is VERY CLOSE BEHIND IT In fact when switching a CD back and forth between the two players, sometimes it’s hard to hear the difference. :o:#
  • cm0levk82h3q.jpeg

My all time favorite track from this group (and the Porcaro family who anchored this group are from Connecticut my home state) ANYWAY on the Oppo Steve Lukather’s voice sounds a bit more three dimensional compared to the Pioneer. The drums have a bit more impact and have a bit more bass. The differences which I’m describing are not huge here and again the Pioneer is not at all embarrassed. On the Pioneer his vocals are a tad thinner sounding and brighter.
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    edited February 2019
    vd8v9ghpxk26.jpeg

On this the opening track of this disc there is a phase manipulated vocal sound effect which goes around the room in a circle and goes right through your head when listening to a pair of SDA’s properly set up. On the Oppo the sound effect is more of an actual circle ⭕️ compared to the Pioneer (which does go around the room and through your head, but the circle takes on a bit of “V” shape as it goes around the room)
    ALL IN ALL FUN TO LISTEN TO!!