4K Blu-ray. Any early adopters out there?

Comments

• BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 10,236

Question; Does anyone own either a Sony OLED or any of the latest LG OLED's?
    Any opinions or reviews on them?

Before I bought my Sony XBR65-900F I was looking at their OLEDs, but was a little concerned about burn-in. I checked with a friend of mine who bought an LG OLED last year, and asked if he had any issues. He said that a news channel logo was burned into his screen, but other than that it was okay. So, I went with the Sony LED. :)
    Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin S1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • honestaquarianhonestaquarian Posts: 2,047
    @BlueFox Did your friend have the white level (contrast) turned up like unfortunately most do?
    Not a judgement or criticism, just a question, because this is what the average person tends to do not knowing how to properly set up their picture.
    Living room Home theater: Upgrade Company modified Onkyo PR-SC5509,Sunfire Cinema grand Signature 5 channel amp(1st gen),Carver TFM-45,Carver M-400a,Panasonic TC-P50ST60 50" Plasma(last gen before Plasma production stopped)Pioneer Elite DVL-91,Meridian 519 Dolby AC-3 RF Demodulator,Oppo Digital UDP-205,TiVo Bolt VOX,Nakamich BX-300,Technics SL-1200MKII,Shure V15 Type VxMR cartridge,Polk SDA-SRS 3.1 TL(with RD-0198 tweeters, upgraded with Larry's rings, black hole5,an Avel-Lindberg 1000VA isolation transformer, VR3 customer crossovers and internal wiring),Polk CS-1000P(with SL-6506 tweeter),Polk Monitor 5jr(with RD-0194 tweeters),Polk RT-35i (1),Polk Mini Monitors,Polk PSW150(4)Monster Power HTPS 7000 MKII Signature series,Monster Power AVS 2000 Signature Series,Various MIT,Monster,Upgrade Company and Belden interconnect,power,HDMI,Coax and Toslink Digital and speaker cables.

Bedroom 2 channel system:Integra DTM 40.4,Nakamichi BX-100,TiVo mini,Musical Fidelity X-LPS,X-PSU,Carver TFM-25,Sony KV-34XBR970(last of the widescreen tube sets before production stopped)Technics SL-1200MKII,Shure V15 Type V MR cartridge,Polk RT-55(with SL-6506 tweeters),Polk PSW-200 in plexiglass(2),Sony Playstation 3 slim.Monster Power HTPS-7000,Monster AVS-2000, PowerVarious Kimber,Audioquest and MIT interconnects and speaker cables.
  • BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 10,236
    I have no idea. He did say he followed LG procedure to prevent/eliminate it, and it didn’t work.

Your question reminded me I need to find an ISF certified technician, and get both my TVs calibrated.
    Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin S1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
    edited June 1
    BlueFox wrote: »
    I have no idea. He did say he followed LG procedure to prevent/eliminate it, and it didn’t work.

Your question reminded me I need to find an ISF certified technician, and get both my TVs calibrated.

@BlueFox Magnolia Hi-Fi in some Best Buy's has that calibration service. When last I checked it was something like $250 per device.
    This may vary depending on where you live.
    Living room Home theater: Upgrade Company modified Onkyo PR-SC5509,Sunfire Cinema grand Signature 5 channel amp(1st gen),Carver TFM-45,Carver M-400a,Panasonic TC-P50ST60 50" Plasma(last gen before Plasma production stopped)Pioneer Elite DVL-91,Meridian 519 Dolby AC-3 RF Demodulator,Oppo Digital UDP-205,TiVo Bolt VOX,Nakamich BX-300,Technics SL-1200MKII,Shure V15 Type VxMR cartridge,Polk SDA-SRS 3.1 TL(with RD-0198 tweeters, upgraded with Larry's rings, black hole5,an Avel-Lindberg 1000VA isolation transformer, VR3 customer crossovers and internal wiring),Polk CS-1000P(with SL-6506 tweeter),Polk Monitor 5jr(with RD-0194 tweeters),Polk RT-35i (1),Polk Mini Monitors,Polk PSW150(4)Monster Power HTPS 7000 MKII Signature series,Monster Power AVS 2000 Signature Series,Various MIT,Monster,Upgrade Company and Belden interconnect,power,HDMI,Coax and Toslink Digital and speaker cables.

Bedroom 2 channel system:Integra DTM 40.4,Nakamichi BX-100,TiVo mini,Musical Fidelity X-LPS,X-PSU,Carver TFM-25,Sony KV-34XBR970(last of the widescreen tube sets before production stopped)Technics SL-1200MKII,Shure V15 Type V MR cartridge,Polk RT-55(with SL-6506 tweeters),Polk PSW-200 in plexiglass(2),Sony Playstation 3 slim.Monster Power HTPS-7000,Monster AVS-2000, PowerVarious Kimber,Audioquest and MIT interconnects and speaker cables.
  • mpitogompitogo Posts: 291
    What do you consider early? I jumped in sometime in 2014.
    Music-2.0 Raidho D-3.1 | Audio Research Ref 40 | Jeff Roland 925 | Esoteric Grandioso K1 | Transparent Reference, IC, Speaker and Power | HRS SXR Rack
    mpitogo wrote: »
    What do you consider early? I jumped in sometime in 2014.

Oh yeah that’s early alright

• Avengers Infinity War is typical Disney. Turn up the volume about six db higher thsn you normally do and it will sound GREAT!

• mantismantis Posts: 15,063

Before I bought my Sony XBR65-900F I was looking at their OLEDs, but was a little concerned about burn-in. I checked with a friend of mine who bought an LG OLED last year, and asked if he had any issues. He said that a news channel logo was burned into his screen, but other than that it was okay. So, I went with the Sony LED. :)
    I basically did the same thing with OLED. I was strongly leaning towards the Sony OLED A1E but the lack of brightness, Burn in and projected un even work out screen scared me away and I went with the Sony XBR Z9D.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mantis wrote: »

I basically did the same thing with OLED. I was strongly leaning towards the Sony OLED A1E but the lack of brightness, Burn in and projected un even work out screen scared me away and I went with the Sony XBR Z9D.

Screen burn in is usually only an issue when someone is trying to get their display to compete with large amounts of ambient light. I don’t know how many times I have walked past apartments or houses and the flat screen is like three feet from a window. Plasmas and OLEDS will not do well in those types of situations where maximum brightness is more of a priority than an accurate picture. Even though technology has changed, the old axiom of brightness versus an accurate picture still stands. Unfortunately unless you can or are willing to pay a LOT of money, you cannot have both. Even with the newer and admittedly MUCH BETTER LCD sets that are out there now. The more you do in the picture settings to get maximum brightness out of the display, the less accurate the picture often is.
    If getting a good picture and color fidelity and such are priorities over brightness, then an OLED will do you well. The newer sets will get much brighter than the older ones. However they still cannot compete with LCD when it comes to maximum brightness. This is why they developed two different standards when it comes to brightness when calibrating a set for the HDR (High Dynamic Range) standards. The maximum brightness level for LCD is MUCH HIGHER than the one for OLED.

eyd0uk00nxor.jpeg

Imagine my surprise when I saw this come up on the screen after I popped that CD into the Oppo UDP-205!
    I fully expected the usual pic of the white album cover to come up and not the Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab pic ;) :)

edited October 15
    44tomxsc9u7v.jpeg

That is pretty much exactly what popped up when I put disc 2 in.

• StantonZStantonZ Posts: 391

This should not happen with a properly calibrated (OLED light not "cranked"), properly used TV (run normal compensation cycles...which means not on 24/7). I've owned the first flat OLED for a few years now (check sig).

Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR (5.0.2)
    (4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps, Mills, and RDO-194 tweets (R/L F/R)
    (2) Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets (Top Middle)
    Polk CS300 center channel
    Analog: B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
    Digital: Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD Blu-Ray
    LG 65EF9500 4K OLED
  • StantonZStantonZ Posts: 391
    edited November 4
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I hate to burst your bubble BUT most everything is shot in 8k and down converted to 4k. 4k panels will be shorter lived than 720/1080 panels.

I don't think so. Even if everything was shot/mastered in 8k (very little it is at this point in time), there is no practical 8k distribution medium (news flash: broadcast TV is still 1080i). 4k streaming finally drove 4k TVs, and capturing live events beyond 4k (even if they could distribute it) is not cost effective. 8k won't see wide-spread adoption for many years.
    Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR (5.0.2)
    (4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps, Mills, and RDO-194 tweets (R/L F/R)
    (2) Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets (Top Middle)
    Polk CS300 center channel
    Analog: B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
    Digital: Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD Blu-Ray
    LG 65EF9500 4K OLED
    @StantonZ Actually 8K first appeared in Japan several years ago (as per usual they are way ahead) However you’re absolutely right about it not being ready for mass consumption for years

• EmlynEmlyn Posts: 2,163
    With 4K, resolution is no longer an issue in most home system displays. Maybe an iMax screen in a theater might benefit from an 8K source but that is also debatable. The real issues with display technology are motion blur, contrast, getting deep black levels, accurate color rendition, and having a reliable display that does not have image retention issues. I suppose an 8K display may hit the market at some point, but it would mainly be for marketing reasons to get people to “upgrade” to something new. Even then, without major improvements in WiFi speed and bandwidth the display would be useless for most people who would not have a disc spinner any more.
    1. Polk LSiM707, 704C, 703; Dual SVS SB2000 subwoofers; Marantz SR7011 receiver; Parasound A23 amp; Oppo 205; Toshiba HD-DVD Player; Sony 65" 4K TV; FIOS; PS Audio Power Plant Premier; MIT S2 cables
    2. JM Labs Electra 920.1; Parasound JC2 Preamp; Sonic Frontiers Power 2 amp; Sony HAP-Z1ES; Oppo 105D; Music Hall MMF7 and Acoustech phono pre; PS Audio P1000; MIT S1 Cables
    3. Polk LSiM703; Pioneer Elite SC97 receiver; Oppo 203; Squeezebox Touch; MIT S3 cables
  • EmlynEmlyn Posts: 2,163
    Imagine my surprise when I saw this come up on the screen after I popped that CD into the Oppo UDP-205!
    I fully expected the usual pic of the white album cover to come up and not the Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab pic ;) :)

I think the Oppo connects to Gracenote’s service to look up metadata and cover art for an inserted CD. It will report back whatever someone last identified a disc as being. Sometimes it can be way off, or not find info at all.

1. Polk LSiM707, 704C, 703; Dual SVS SB2000 subwoofers; Marantz SR7011 receiver; Parasound A23 amp; Oppo 205; Toshiba HD-DVD Player; Sony 65" 4K TV; FIOS; PS Audio Power Plant Premier; MIT S2 cables
    2. JM Labs Electra 920.1; Parasound JC2 Preamp; Sonic Frontiers Power 2 amp; Sony HAP-Z1ES; Oppo 105D; Music Hall MMF7 and Acoustech phono pre; PS Audio P1000; MIT S1 Cables
    3. Polk LSiM703; Pioneer Elite SC97 receiver; Oppo 203; Squeezebox Touch; MIT S3 cables
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 11,464
    edited November 4
    Considering that many countries outside of the good ol'USA have download speeds in excess of 100 gigabytes and some pass 200 gigabytes I feel it will be quicker than most realize. Japan has blazing fast speeds that make our fastest look like 56k dial up.

Either way i was just repeating what i had been reading at that point in the motion picture industry. One also must remember what drove the earliest technology from video tape to blu-ray was the adult film industry and not Hollywood. I believe now it is more sports but i could be way off base
    Emlyn wrote: »

I think the Oppo connects to Gracenote’s service to look up metadata and cover art for an inserted CD. It will report back whatever someone last identified a disc as being. Sometimes it can be way off, or not find info at all.

Actually the UDP-203/5 doesn't do that anymore. The BDP-103/5 did and you would see the Gracenote tag beneath the cover art. The owners manual of the 205 does not say where it gets the cover art info from. It does not display the cover art for every CD though.

Considering that many countries outside of the good ol'USA have download speeds in excess of 100 gigabytes and some pass 200 gigabytes I feel it will be quicker than most realize. Japan has blazing fast speeds that make our fastest look like 56k dial up.

@ptdogg2 No disrespect buddy, but you made a very common mistake there. A byte is 8 bits. Most do not know there is a difference between a bit and a byte and erroneously say megabytes or gigabytes instead of megabits. I gig is a billion bits and a meg is a million bits also. No one has speeds as fast as 100 to 200 gigabytes or even gigabits at this point in time outside of a laboratory.

@ptdogg2 No disrespect buddy, but you made a very common mistake there. A byte is 8 bits. Most do not know there is a difference between a bit and a byte and erroneously say megabytes or gigabytes instead of megabits. I gig is a billion bits and a meg is a million bits also. No one has speeds as fast as 100 to 200 gigabytes or even gigabits at this point in time outside of a laboratory.

Well so i let the phone do the spelling lol.

My bad you are correct it is common there to have 2Gbps downloads and 1Gbps uploads speeds. I got confused with the whole conversion of Mbps
    I apologize.
    @pitdogg2 Currently Comcast is offering 2gbps symmetrical speeds via Fiber Optic in different parts of the country.
    I lot of providers large and small are offering 1gig speeds over copper using DOCSIS 3.1 technology. The only catch is that it's not symmetrical up and down. It is REALLY lopsided (meaning the download speeds might be 1 gbps, but the upload speeads are MUCH LOWER) I had it with RCN before I was finally able to get gig speed with Verizon FiOS fiber. FiOS is symmetrical.
    So don't feel bad about the Japanese ;)
    Once I can save up enough to get a nice 4K OLED, I'll be able to stream 4K Netflix on my TiVo BOLT with no problems whatsoever.

Yea Metronet is doing our whole town here in fiber to the residence it is pricey. The Verizon FiOS was developed here in my town but they chose to start out east to drop it to the residence. I had thought they no longer supported it for some reason.
    Verizon is no longer building the FiOS out. They are only completing it in towns where it already is.

Verizon is no longer building the FiOS out. They are only completing it in towns where it already is.

Gotcha.
    For some reason i had thought they abandoned it altogether.
    Unfortunately because of a lot of things which have come together like a perfect storm, cable providers are just not making the money that they used to with cable TV anymore. Providing internet service for cord cutters seems to be the way to go, but wireless is apparently the wave of the future. 5G is coming late this year and next year with gigabit speeds promised.
    So Verizon is building out their 5G wireless network and FiOS is no longer a priority. Fiber Optic is the best way to move all of that data and that is what all of the cell carriers are using to get the signals to the towers. However it is extremely expensive to run and splice fiber optic cable.

(just to clarify about the FiOS at my place. It has been here in Washington, D.C. for some years.However it was available on some streets and not on others. You could literally cross the street and walk right out of FiOS coverage. They finally got to my neighborhood in 2015 and I was EXCITED and ran around telling all of my neighbors it was coming. Then I ran smack into a brick wall, because I live in a small apartment building. I had to fight for two solid years to get it and finally did the day before my birthday in January of this year)

This is a subject for another thread though.

• polrbehrpolrbehr Posts: 2,150

Gotcha.
    For some reason i had thought they abandoned it altogether.

Cablevision (Optimum) has had a stranglehold on FiOS where I live, and many other parts of LI. SO I am not surprised at all to hear that Verizon isn't fighting them anymore.
    Now I hear that Optimum is running new fiber optic lines in certain test areas, they plan on offering download speeds up to 1 Gbps once that's complete, but for now they max out at 400 Mbps.

So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
    edited November 8
    Unfortunately because of a lot of things which have come together like a perfect storm, cable providers are just not making the money that they used to with cable TV anymore.
    This is a subject for another thread though.

That is because the content providers keep jacking up the rebroadcast fees. One of the reason I'm glad to be a 30yr. Dish subscriber. Charlie E. The owner of dish don't just bend over when they come to shake him down for more money. Like years in the past he will just drop them like a hot stone. NBC this summer trued to hijack more money from Dish and Charlie told them to pound sand. When the new show season came around and millions and millions of folks were not getting the content the advertising companies that paid multi-millions for time on NBC had a problem with that. One month into the season we had NBC stuff back. I wish more providers would do that then maybe just maybe things would change. Many years ago i put up a 40' TV antenna tower with a very very good channel master deep fringe antenna. I could pick up all the network OTA broadcast which by law they all must provide. I was able to get affiliates almost 100mi. away and the OTA programming is not all compressed like all the mp4 cable provider's it is night and day better in all aspects. Downside is it is hard to get that programming on a DVR to watch later. Yes there are OTA DVR's but the antenna needs to rotate to get the different broadcast channels. NBS,CBS and ABC dont not come from the same direction. I have yet to find a way to auto rotate the antenna to get the channels while I'm away. Even if there was you almost always need to tweak it a bit because of wind and weather.
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 30,161
    Yes, fiber optic cables are expensive to repair, but usually the company doesn't pay for it, the person/company that broke it does. Most your phone cables are fiber optic, broke a few in my day. Very expensive to repair as each strand needs to be spliced back together in a special way....and there could be thousands of strands in a Fiber optic cable.

Cable companies, like comcast, are pricing themselves out of the market. If they are to rely only on internet services.....what do you think that does for the price of internet ?

5G, while it sounds nice, has some health related issues attached to it as well. You pick your poisons I guess. Pros and cons to everything.
    HT SYSTEM-2 channel
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Dynaudio Audience 72
    Polk FX500 surrounds
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    Joule la-100 pre
    B&k Ref 4420 amp

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Analysis plus crystal oval ic's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
    I agree with yous guys completely. However this is a subject do another thread. This has little to do with 4K (unless your primary source of 4K content is streaming. In which case you need some good, high speed Wideband internet service-Wideband being speeds higher than about 20mbps. Anything lower is just Broadband)