4K Blu-ray. Any early adopters out there?

15678911»

Comments

• gp4jesusgp4jesus Posts: 1,535
    Sorry for derailing this thread, specifically this part, for coming so late to the party w/this, and getting so very long winded.

AT&T and before, the different “Bell” companies, had been using fiber between Central Offices (COs) in the 80s(?), likely earlier. Over the last ~9 years I worked for AT&T, I spliced fiber for mostly new work; had zero contact w/ copper the last 5 years. Terminating fiber into banks and Medical offices ~6 years ago became pretty common. 2-3 three years ago started laying fiber to to new homes in developments and in existing densely populated parts of Athens, GA.

Tech note: While I did see the work of my distant forbearers, I had the privilege of using later technology to connect the fibers. Namely a machine that joined the hair-thick strands of glass by welding. Usually joined 2 to 2 or more at a time but occasionally as singles. Any cable made after 2007, 12 strands or larger came as 12 strand ribbons, referred to as groups, simply labeled on the ribbon 1, 2, 3 etc - no rocket science here.

We almost always spliced those as ribbons, almost never as singles. New 144s, 12 groups of 12, are ho hum. The last ~4-5 years we started doing a lot more larger cables: 216s (18), 288s (24), & 360s (30). 432s (36) less often and two 764s* (72) fed out of the larger COs. Over the the summer 2019 two techs began splicing a 1728 (144) out of the Athens CO.
    *I straight-spliced about half the groups in this cable once. Others had this “privilege” 2 or 3 times.
    tonyb wrote: »
    Yes, fiber optic cables are expensive to repair, but usually the company doesn't pay for it. The person/company that broke it pays.
    Fiber optics are delicate, penetrate the outer sheathing, damage easy, and expensive due to time requirements, to repair. Occasionally, I, or a co-worker, repaired damaged cable.
    tonyb wrote: »
    Most your phone cables are fiber optic, broke a few in my day. Very expensive to repair as each strand needs to be spliced back together in a special way....and there could be thousands of strands in a Fiber optic cable.
    I’ve repaired some cables as small as 1 fiber. Common sizes were 24s to 72s w/ a couple sizes in between. The largest I recall repairing was 216 fibers feeding a 144, 2 48s, & 24s; all bush hogged clean through - at least 100 business* and over a 1000 dial tone subscribers out of service for ~5-6 hours. Ahh the fun, how I miss that - like a tooth ache!!
    *Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, a host of fast food restaurants, and a large medical complex, to name a few

The zenith of my repair career: 4 years ago, very late on a Thursday, a tree company truck was traveling on a major thoroughfare* with their boom too high. Sliced clean through two older cables - a 96 and a 48, both stranded**.
    *~an hour from the office
    **we used glue to make ribbons from strands

On the surface, not a big deal, right? Well... ...One of the cables contained THE circuit from the University of GA (UGA) football stadium that fed the ESPN South office in Atlanta! As if that wasn’t bad enough, the next day, Saturday, was the UGA season opener!

To say some “knickers were knotted up” REAL TIGHT would be an understatement! Having a self-serving jerk of a boss made it worse. A lot of work by 4 competent techs and some drama generously provided by few in middle management. Got home ~8p that night.
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED
    Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro
    Samsung BDP, Dish Rcvr, Xbox, Phillips CD chgr

Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; CC outside
    BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out
    8 ga Powerline - LR woofers, inside* & out
    *soldered

LR: tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; M&T - 981
    CC: Rotel RB985 -> tri-amped CSi A6
    5 Audio Pro Subs: 1 B1.39: an Evidence at each corner
    Surrounds: Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3
    Power Conditioning & Distribution: