4K Blu-ray. Any early adopters out there?

Comments

• StantonZ
    StantonZ Posts: 439
    ...but still no Dolby Vision content (not that I was waiting for any) and no UHD announcements from Disney. Guess I won't be buying Rogue One yet (still waiting on TFA also); I want Atmos anyway!
    Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR (5.0.2); LG OLED77C2 4K TV
    (4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps, Mills, and RDO-194 tweets (R/L F/R)
    (2) Polk RC80i (Top Middle)
    Polk CS300 center channel
    Analog: B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
    Digital: Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD Blu-Ray
    Bedroom: Arylic Up2Stream AMPv3 driving Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,901
    I should hope so Ken, otherwise I'd ask for my money back. ;) Sammy's have a nice picture for sure.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,808

Yep, as soon as it's released I'm buying it... B)
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Is there any information on it anywhere?
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    edited March 2017
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WRAL-TV

Exactly ten years after this TV station became the first in the country to begin broadcasting HDTV. They have also become the first to broadcast 4K UHD TV last year.
  • honestaquarian
    c3cro82bub0f.png
    uobxe40n2q5x.png
    sz5puwoc3nw0.png
    8yxrdhytw00m.png

Just got this e-mail from Sony
  • honestaquarian
    Oppo sent me notification that the UDP-205 is available for pre order
  • honestaquarian
    A lot of movies are already,but the intermediate,which is used for post production isn't 4k. So what you see depends on which movie...............
  • StantonZ
    edited May 2017
    A lot of movies are already, but the intermediate, which is used for post production isn't 4k. So what you see depends on which movie..........

And even that can vary: I've seen some 2k DI's that look better than 4k DI's. However, over time "true" 4k DI's will become both the norm and the standard for high-quality.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420
    StantonZ wrote: »
    A lot of movies are already, but the intermediate, which is used for post production isn't 4k. So what you see depends on which movie..........

And even that can vary: I've seen some 2k DI's that look better than 4k DI's. However, over time "true" 4k DI's will become both the norm and the standard for high-quality.

4k will not be around long. Most of the movies are being shot in higher resolution and down converted to 4k. 8k has dropped in Japan as of this year so i honestly do not see longevity here in the states.
  • StantonZ
    edited May 2017
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    4k will not be around long. Most of the movies are being shot in higher resolution and down converted to 4k. 8k has dropped in Japan as of this year so i honestly do not see longevity here in the states.

You're kidding, right?
    4k DI's still aren't common...broadcast 4k hasn't happened yet (limited to streaming)...commercially viable 8k displays are years away...and the bandwidth and storage required for broadcast 8k is a non-starter until/unless 4k becomes mainstream.
    Japan had HD almost 10 years before it was mainstream here, so I wouldn't base anything on what they can "demo" at this time (even with accelerated development).
    I'll probably be enjoying my current UHD/4k set-up until I retire (as much as 10 years away).
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420
    Movies are shot in higher than 4k resolution now no i was not kidding.
    I hope you're right but i bet not. Look how short it has gotten from 720p to 1080 to 4k it's picking up speed
  • StantonZ
    I hope you're right but i bet not. Look how short it has gotten from 720p to 1080 to 4k it's picking up speed

Now that's a good question...and here's a good answer:
    • 720p TVs were first available in 1999 (I owned one...and yes, it was expensive...but lasted me over 15 years!) even though HD content would take a few years to really kick in
    • 1080p (not 1080i) TVs were first available in 2005
    • True 4k (2160p) TVs (with the proper HDMI ports/compatibility) were first available in 2015 (I own one...and yes, it was expensive...but definitely worth it!) and 4k content has started to come around thanks to streaming (which obviously wasn't available 15 years ago)
    So, if we extrapolate from 1080p commercial availability, it would suggest 8k TVs (not a "demo") might arrive on the scene sometime between 2021 and 2025, allowing for some accelerated development.

But all this ignores the ultimate question, which is: can/will any of us be able to tell the difference between 4k and 8k in the home environment? Given that many still can't tell the difference between 1080p and 2160p (I can...barely...because I have a decent size TV and enjoy the addition of HDR/WCG), that could ultimately be the deciding factor.

• honestaquarian

You're kidding, right?
    4k DI's still aren't common...broadcast 4k hasn't happened yet (limited to streaming)...commercially viable 8k displays are years away...and the bandwidth and storage required for broadcast 8k is a non-starter until/unless 4k becomes mainstream.
    Japan had HD almost 10 years before it was mainstream here, so I wouldn't base anything on what they can "demo" at this time (even with accelerated development).
    I'll probably be enjoying my current UHD/4k set-up until I retire (as much as 10 years away).

Just a heads up guys
    There is a tv station in North Carolina broadcasting 4k right now. First in the country and they've been doing it since last year or the year before. Google it. This was also the very first station in America to broadcast 1080i.
    Had fun with you all and thanks.
    I'm gone
  • honestaquarian
    I am LOVING my new Oppo UDP-205!!!! Oppo digital decided to slowly go out of bid’ness. So I rushed out and put one on layaway
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    Enjoy the 205, I've considered one but kept my 105D and got a Sony for 4k only duties. Keep us informed on the new toy, once it is up and running.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • honestaquarian
    Picture
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    Enjoy the 205, I've considered one but kept my 105D and got a Sony for 4k only duties. Keep us informed on the new toy, once it is up and running.
    Thanks
    I can’t comment yet on the 4K picture as that is the next and most expensive upgrade that I have yet to do. Sound-wise it is EXCELLENT! It plays everything that I throw at it and the High Definition picture with Blu-rays is also excellent. I’m still breaking it on and haven’t tried everything Yet. E
  • honestaquarian
    I definitely noticed a BIG difference between the 205 and the 105 sound-wise because of the jitter reduction circuit. I compared it to my Pioneer Elite DVL-91and the Pioneer was the victor at first. The catch is that I was using the analog outputs on the Pioneer and the HDMI outputs on the Oppo. I then switched to the Analog outputs on the Oppo after a week of break in and it was more detailed. The pioneer sounded very similar and had more bass and was about 7 DB louder, but the Oppo clearly had more detail when the volume was matched. I had a non audiophile friend over who happened to be Chinese (and he didn't know that Oppo was a Chinese company) and he heard the same thing and even though he had trouble describing it.He hit the nail right on the head.
  • honestaquarian
    I just discovered the volume control (variable output) on the unit came turned down a bit. So I turned it up to the top and now it matches the output of the Pioneer.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,664
    I definitely noticed a BIG difference between the 205 and the 105 sound-wise because of the jitter reduction circuit. I compared it to my Pioneer Elite DVL-91and the Pioneer was the victor at first. The catch is that I was using the analog outputs on the Pioneer and the HDMI outputs on the Oppo. I then switched to the Analog outputs on the Oppo after a week of break in and it was more detailed. The pioneer sounded very similar and had more bass and was about 7 DB louder, but the Oppo clearly had more detail when the volume was matched. I had a non audiophile friend over who happened to be Chinese (and he didn't know that Oppo was a Chinese company) and he heard the same thing and even though he had trouble describing it.He hit the nail right on the head.

OPPO Digital is independently operated and headquartered in Menlo Park, CA. USA.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760

But all this ignores the ultimate question, which is: can/will any of us be able to tell the difference between 4k and 8k in the home environment? Given that many still can't tell the difference between 1080p and 2160p (I can...barely...because I have a decent size TV and enjoy the addition of HDR/WCG), that could ultimately be the deciding factor.

In my case, it's not a matter of not being able to see a difference between 1080p and 2160p, it's a matter of the difference being so small that it's not worth the high investment costs in hardware and software. The "WOW" factor going from 2K to 4K just isn't there...at least not for me. Judging from what I read on this, and other, forums, the 4K wow factor isn't there for a lot of people.

The last time I was wowed by a television picture was the first time I saw a 1080p blu-ray displayed on a Pioneer Kuro plasma. This was during the summer of 2009.

I would like to go from my current 60" display to an 80" display...if there was something on the market that rivaled my Kuro plasma in holographic picture quality. As it stands now, I would be taking a big hit in picture quality to gain more screen area. It's not worth it to me.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!