4K Blu-ray. Any early adopters out there?

Comments

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    I would get the Phillips before the Samsung player a friend had issues with his Samsung player. I just wonder what will the sources be for access to UHD discs? I asked the only rental place here in town they have a few stores in the area, if they plan on renting UHD discs and was told probably not.

They have a small selection of 3D rentals and they are not open to stocking every available title in 3D. I doubt redbox will get aboard the UHD rental, so that leaves the question is buying the UHD title you want to see the only option, if so it would be pretty pricey to start a UHD collection, what other options than purchasing them none that I can think of.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • gudnoyez wrote: »
    I would get the Phillips before the Samsung player a friend had issues with his Samsung player. I just wonder what will the sources be for access to UHD discs? I asked the only rental place here in town they have a few stores in the area, if they plan on renting UHD discs and was told probably not.

They have a small selection of 3D rentals and they are not open to stocking every available title in 3D. I doubt redbox will get aboard the UHD rental, so that leaves the question is buying the UHD title you want to see the only option, if so it would be pretty pricey to start a UHD collection, what other options than purchasing them none that I can think of.

Amazon and Best Buy online
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez wrote: »

I'm aware of where to buy the UHD titles my concern if it is one is will you be able to rent them through Netflix, your local video rental place, or redbox? I'm thinking not.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

• Netflix is streaming UHD titles right now. So is Amazon and VUDU.
  • gudnoyez
    @gudnoyez Since the bitrate for all of the streaming services is significantly lower than what comes off of a disc (*I.E.the material is far more compressed*)how can you say you don't need to get a player? Especially considering the fact that none of the streaming services is capable of sending a Dolby True HD or DTS HD-MA soundtrack.

My past few comments was because of this post of yours.
    Home Theater

2 Channel

Stuff for the Head

• @gudnoyez
    Most videophiles don't rent. This goes back to the Laserdisc days ;)o:)
    I was addressing the issues that you brought up about availability of UHD.

I'm aware of where to buy the UHD titles my concern if it is one is will you be able to rent them through Netflix, your local video rental place, or redbox? I'm thinking not.

• The Oppo is available for pre order!!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,901
    Looks like quite the machine too, at half the price of the 105.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Are you calling me deplorable? :)

True dat. :)

oq7n4alhku7q.jpg
    zh9ikfl2qxmi.jpg

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • @BlueFox
    It is just silly what these schmo's have done to your Oppo thread.It has gone right off the rails........... :(
  • BlueFox
    @BlueFox
    It is just silly what these schmo's have done to your Oppo thread.It has gone right off the rails........... :(

Eh? What's the problem? It seems relatively on-track. At least it hasn't been closed. lol.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    @BlueFox

Right? Some Aquarian dude talking about Onkyo AVR's in his Oppo Blu-ray player thread. Geesh.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Nightfall wrote: »
    @BlueFox

Right? Some Aquarian dude talking about Onkyo AVR's in his Oppo Blu-ray player thread. Geesh.

Why I oughta!!
    Hey I wasn't the one who brought that subject up............. :p
  • BlueFox
    I am sure it is your patriotic duty as a Canadian to spend money and help the economy. I know over the last five years I single handily rescued the US economy. :)

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • nbrowser wrote: »
    BLEEP you all...now looking at 4K UHD TV...ugh it never ends.

What're you?
    NEW?? :D
  • Nightfall
    I'll be interested in your thoughts vs your previous cheap TV, Ken. I'm using one of those myself. A cheap TV, that is.

• Nightfall
    edited December 2016
    I don't have any snow issues with mine, thankfully. It does retain a ghost image easier than any other LCD/LED that I've had though. Like when I watch Family Guy on Hulu for a few episodes the Fox logo stays on the screen for a good half hour when watching or playing something else or if I watch Andy Griffith/I Love Lucy old shows that have the black bars on the sides - the sides of the screen stay darker than the middle when switching to something that's in widescreen, it's very annoying. I paid $600 for it though, what do you expect.

• They also announced a new 4K Blu-ray player that will also play SACD AND DVD-A! As well as a forthcoming firmware upgrade for Dolby Vision for the flagship Z9D series.
  • BlueFox
    So my TV isn't totally obsolete after two months? LOL.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • http://www.soundandvision.com/content/hdmi-forum-announces-version-21-spec#V026pa14OBXkp1fG.97

WOW
    A LOT of good news coming from CES this year.
    Stay tuned..................