MagniFi Max SR - Surrounds Popping (despite software updates)

Comments

• jvoisin
    jvoisin Posts: 2
    I didn't have any issues until it updated to 85. The popping in the rear speakers is quite bad.
  • dangish
    dangish Posts: 23
    Got 85 update. No more annoying sounds. Watching an SD movie and the sound bar suddenly had all the volume lights strobbing and one by one they lit up from the far left to the far right. No one was sitting on a remote, didn’t touch a remote. It was weird. Then the soundbar wouldn’t turn off, I waited 5 mins or so and then it turned itself off.
  • jvoisin
    jvoisin Posts: 2
    dangish wrote: »
    Got 85 update. No more annoying sounds. Watching an SD movie and the sound bar suddenly had all the volume lights strobbing and one by one they lit up from the far left to the far right. No one was sitting on a remote, didn’t touch a remote. It was weird. Then the soundbar wouldn’t turn off, I waited 5 mins or so and then it turned itself off.

I had where the only speakers worked were the sub and rears.. the front speaker didn't make any sounds at all. powered it off a few times.. and it seems to have resolved itself.. but still tons of pops in the rears.. annoying... feel like we are beta testing their code for them..
  • Nick_S
    Nick_S Posts: 12
    LeeSoFL-Yes I've the same issue, the help improve MagniFi Max pop up box is covering the firmware version and won't go away. Tried uninstalling/reinstalling Google home app but no change so not sure what firmware I'm currently running (hoping it's not 85 as I'm still crackling from the sub & popping from the rears!!)
  • LeeSoFL
    LeeSoFL Posts: 118
    Thanks. You're probably on 85 since both issues are still present with the update.
  • gonavy34
    gonavy34 Posts: 2
    Update 85 is on system, but now I can't get anything to pair at all. Had a day when sound bar kept making sync sound a lot, then stopped...now won't even attempt to sync. All other speakers just blink green...guess this is one way to get rid of the popping noises
  • kevotman
    kevotman Posts: 2
    I'm on 85 and t he popping is definitely worse now. The rear speakers pop multiple times on any kind of media. We no longer get the really high pitched chirps, but there's a lot of pops I've never had any of the issues with the subwoofer. The issues started originally after an update when I first connected it to my Google Home. I wish I could revert it to the factory setting firmware.
  • dangish
    Popping is still happening. Not as often. But still there.
  • dangish
    Starting to think I shoulda got the Sonos playbase.
  • Its weird but my sorround speakers dont pop, its my subwoofer that mades the crackling or pop noises. I wonder what may be causing that people have problems with one or the other.
  • dangish
    I have 91 and have no clue as to when it loaded but now the soundbar will randomly turn itself on. Scare ld the #3LL outta me at 3am and I heard it from my bedroom.
  • mucky1
    mucky1 Posts: 1
    I have max sr, my popping has more or less stopped , but now it constantly powers off and my tv goes blank till the tv speakers kick in. Anyone have a fix?
    I called polk and they said a new update in 4 to 6 weeks will fix?
  • Matheus
    Matheus Posts: 1
    Hi, From what I see in google home I am on firmware version 91. I am also having the annoying cracking problem with my surround speakers. Are there any news from Polk if they are still to find a solution to it?
  • LeeSoFL
    Google Home application has been corrected. The "help improve" memo no longer covers the current software version.
  • printer87
    printer87 Posts: 2
    edited July 2018
    I have the magnifi max and the pops have gotten worse with the updates. I think the most frustrating part of this is how good this system sounds the few minutes it works.
  • LeeSoFL
    printer87 wrote: »
    I have the magnifi max and the pops have gotten worse with the updates. I think the most frustrating part of this is how good this system sounds the few minutes it works.

Do you have the Max or the MaxSR? What software version are you running?

• drbrichy
    drbrichy Posts: 2
    edited August 2018
    I have firmware 103 as of today. I unplugged everything and restarted. The sound bar went through an upgrade process. Now it seems to work.?
    Post edited by drbrichy on
  • Hello,
    From what I gather the majority of the owners have reported completely different results for the update. I've sent a copy of your post to the engineers at Polk.
  • Kenneth, I did not know I had to apply the update. I think it’s working.
  • kimin
    kimin Posts: 9
    It is much much better now, i would say 90% of noises are gone (five minutes of listening) :)
  • I'm glad things are working as they should.
  • I’ve had my Magnifi Max Sr speakers for about 7 months now. They were awesome for the first 4. Then the surrounds started popping. It’s gotten so frequent and so loud that we finally shut down the surrounds. We are on FW version 103. I cannot link the pops to anything going on in the room or the house. Is there a fix on the way?
  • LeeSoFL
    On mine, the snaps went away two months ago and the pops have stopped since 103.
    Actually, the MaxSR now sounds better than it ever has.
  • First time poster...I too was noticing sound dropping out for a few seconds here and there as well as crackling form the subwoofer. I now have firmware 103 and so far all of that has ben fixed...watched netflix for a few hours and they seemed to be gone.

However, one thing i have noticed, and still notice is a 5-8 second audio delay when switching sources, and even within the SAME source. For example, I will be watching netflix through apple TV, but when I switch to the youtube app still within apple tv, the youtube video starts to play but audio wont kick in until 5-8 seconds after that.

Anyone else have THAT issue?
  • LeeSoFL
    I have not had that switching problem.
  • so after playing around I think the delay Im experiencing is with Apple TV and not necessarily with the soundbar. I have Apple TV set to "automatically detect the best audio setting" so im thinking each time i watch a youtube video it tries to recalculate the best setting thus causing the delay...
  • dangish
    Today, the soundbar has been making the beeping sound like it’s pairing/trying to pair.
  • LeeSoFL wrote: »
    printer87 wrote: »

Do you have the Max or the MaxSR? What software version are you running?
    MaxSR at the time of the post I was on v91. I’m now on 103 as of 15 minutes of listening no pops. Quite a record. I’m feeling hopeful!
  • LeeSoFL
    Good news, mine's been fine too since 103.

Now, however, my Google Home app doesn't show the soundbar device tile anymore, so I'm not able to see what version (or future version) it's running. Two steps forward, one step back. (iOS phone)
  • LeeSoFL
    Retailers like Crutchfield and the Polk site too, are now offering the MaxSR for sale again. I guess everyone is happy with the v103 patch. The product had been pulled for at least five months.