Thiel Audio to Close

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited January 2018
    The most fall from grace was, in my opinion, The Fisher Radio Company.

That's probably true -- but essentially all of the great American hifi names took that fall, to some extent: Sherwood, HH Scott, Marantz (Superscope). Not as bad, probably -- but still a loss when these companies changed hands to larger corporate owners.

Oh, I almost forgot KLH and Advent ;)

EDIT: Come to think of it, hk pretty much beat the rap. The "Citation" line retained much of its lustre for decades -- and, love him or hate him, the late Sidney Harman stayed at the helm (albeit ever higher up) for basically the rest of his long life.

• At least Avery Fisher was able to build Fisher Hall in New York with the proceeds of the sale. Marantz has retained most of its original luster.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    HH Scott....always loved their stuff from way back when. Always sounded good to my ears and built like a tank. Then again, most vintage gear was in that era.

I think they all fell, some not as hard as others, when the energy conserving craze took hold. Everyone was cheaping out on the power supplies, thinner casings and the rave was the all in one stack of components with cheap speakers to keep that price point at a certain level.

Fisher....actually had some nice component stack systems back then.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    At least Avery Fisher was able to build Fisher Hall in New York with the proceeds of the sale. Marantz has retained most of its original luster.

1. Yeah, but they're renaming Fisher Hall, right? :(

2. I think I'd say that Marantz has managed to regain much of its original lustre.

There was some pretty hideous "Marantz" equipment there for a while.

do2u2et7v5yo.png
    oysu7s7cmws4.png
  • Oh no, Sanyo Hall?
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    tonyb wrote: »
    HH Scott....always loved their stuff from way back when. Always sounded good to my ears and built like a tank. Then again, most vintage gear was in that era.

I think they all fell, some not as hard as others, when the energy conserving craze took hold. Everyone was cheaping out on the power supplies, thinner casings and the rave was the all in one stack of components with cheap speakers to keep that price point at a certain level.

Fisher....actually had some nice component stack systems back then.

Is this one of the stack systems you're refering too? Look at the black "Studio Standard by Fisher" components in the corner.

l7ync598ebft.jpg
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    ^^ That's a major award you got there on top of that stack.
  • mhardy6647
    I ran it through an anagram generator -- here's one of the better ones:
    Oh Holy Nasal No

• mhardy6647
    some HH Scott stuff, made in Maynard MA.

11375465156_b03733c7d8_z.jpggreat scott by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

I don't have any of the really nice Scott stuff as I am a poor fellow. I do have a fairly nice Scott 222c integrated amplifier, though.

HH Scott's chief engineer was Daniel von Recklingshausen.
    He once said, rather famously:
    "If it measures good and sounds bad, -- it is bad. If it sounds good and measures bad, -- you've measured the wrong thing."

http://hhscott.com/vonrecklinghausen.htm
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Aloha Ho Nylons
  • mhardy6647
    edited January 2018
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Aloha Ho Nylons

x1z742cpgl0l.png

Coincidence? I think not. :)

There were even worse anagrams, but I didn't want Ken to have to censor them ;)
  • Is that a BIC antenna on top? If so, they actually worked in some situations, namely crowded FM locations with too many broadcasting stations.
  • Tony M
    Clipdat wrote: »
    ^^ That's a major award you got there on top of that stack.

Yea, it's FRAGILE too.

Do you want to hear the STORY where that came from? :o PM style.
  • Tony M
    edited January 2018
    Is that a BIC antenna on top? If so, they actually worked in some situations, namely crowded FM locations with too many broadcasting stations.

Yes it is. I have 2 of them. They work pretty well here in Wilm. But I only have a 180* land mass to deal with. Not too many stations here in the past but this City has grown and there's a lot more stations now. I just use rabitt ears or some older aclaimed powered antennes on my systems out in the man-cave. The 2nd BIC beambox has been in service in my living room for 15+ years easy. I do like how the stations get clearer when I turn those knobs. Proves they do work, huh. :pB)
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    6m94drbpgs7c.gif
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    If anyone is in the market for a mortage...you might get some free speakers thrown
    in with the deal.

g14zd25hyh2p.jpg
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    edited May 2019
    She's got crazy eyes...
  • Tony M
    Big mouth too.
  • Tony M
    DaveHo wrote: »
    She's got crazy eyes...

Those eyes could turn into "angry eyes" :#
    https://youtu.be/lFM-VaUO_CE
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Don't know if I would want the last round from Thiel. They went under for a reason and an overpriced under performing product might be one reason.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • aiconn
    aiconn Posts: 277
    Tony M wrote: »
    Big mouth too.

There are good uses for that...
    PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC/Preamp
    Denon DVD 2910
    Quad 12L Active Monitors
    Marin Logan Dynamo 700W
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    mrloren wrote: »
    Don't know if I would want the last round from Thiel. They went under for a reason and an overpriced under performing product might be one reason.

Might agree with that, never heard any of their speakers that tickled my fancy.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    They were built just down the road from me so everyone here in this area carried them...I remember a guy telling me how perfect they were as I listened in disbelief. I couldn't believe this guy was actually telling me that what I wasn't hearing was what I was supposed to be hearing. That shop didn't last too long.
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    The 3.6 were a speaker that I absolutely LOVED. They weren’t as bright as the 2.2, but had a lot of slam for a speaker their size.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,633
    I had a pair of the 3.5s, which I really liked. Very detailed speaker. Sounded great with jazz and female vocals. They loved power and improved with the quality of upstream gear and cabling. Just did not have the punch for rock that I want. So therefore, I considered them a situational speaker.

Unfortunately, the Thiel brand died with its founder Jim Thiel. Anything I heard that they made after his death was not up to par with the products made on his watch. I stopped by the Thiel room at AXPONA a few years back and was completely underwhelmed. They had some floorstanders driven by some Mark Levinson gear. That room was the most disappointing room I went to that day.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    edited August 2019
    BDT wrote: »

That CEO babe? Worth a clean rag and a heavy dose of chloroform......

BDT

OH MY GAWWWWD that is freaking hilarious ...

Killin me Troy

• xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    BDT wrote: »
    Dredge from the dead......

Didn't realize they had closed up shop......when Jim Thiel passed, the handwriting was on the wall. I've heard some Thiel's that I didn't like but I've got a pair of 3.6's that I absolutely LOVE. Probably my favorite all around speaker ever......and updated AR9, if you will. Lot of folks feel about Thiel the way I feel about Vandersteen....just could never dig 'em.

That CEO babe? Worth a clean rag and a heavy dose of chloroform......

BDT

Theil 3.6's were my dream speaker for a very long time. I understand that Jim had trouble coming up with a design that bettered the 3.6 and that's why it took so long for the 3.7 to be released. Either way, the 3.6's mated with an LS9 pre and McCormack DNA 1, made the hair on my arms stand on end.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.