Laserdisc-The godfather of ALL consumer optical disc media

Comments

• gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    Last call before I post on the Flea Mkt page.
    $100 plus shipping for a Denon LA-3100 w/remote & 14 titles:
    Mr Holland's Opus
    The Fugitive
    Philadelphia
    Top Gun*
    Raider's of the Lost Ark
    Jurassic Park
    Mrs Doubtfire
    Bambi*
    Snow White & the 7 Dwarfs*
    Jumanji
    The Pelican Brief
    Assassins
    Star Wars episodes 4-6
    * may not be widescreen
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    That is a bold statement buddy. Worst movie ever or worst on LD?
    ;)
    Leugerman wrote: »
    The first movie I ever saw on laser disc was Star Trek The Motion Picture. Worst movie ever.

• xjghost
    xjghost Posts: 1,080
    xjghost wrote: »
    well I just accidently won this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-Elite-DVL-90-Laserdisc-DVD-Player-w-39-Movies-Remote-amp-Cables-TESTED-/172609674516?nma=true&si=bxfkvxyd5a%2F4pzT0eig8pCikUOs%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

DVL 90 with 39 movies. It will replace my CLD 1090... $285 but shipping is $72.85 Not a great deal BUT my player is not looking as good as it use to. At least it has the remote with it.....

@xjghost Just wait until you see the difference in the picture!

That is going to be hard to do since ups damaged it in shipment..... Is there a place that I can get it repaired? I searched and found the service manual but no repair shop. I have no one around me that does electronic repair....
    HT/2Channel: Emotiva MMC-1, Adcom GFA-555II, Polk SDA 3.1's, Teac TN-300 TT, Polk Center and Sub.

Bedroom system: Carver CT-24, Parasound HCA-800II, Monitor 10's

Additional projects: RTA 12c's
  • xjghost
    @xjghost Where are you??

South Carolina.
    HT/2Channel: Emotiva MMC-1, Adcom GFA-555II, Polk SDA 3.1's, Teac TN-300 TT, Polk Center and Sub.

• honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    There are two places here in Washington, D.C. metro that I know of who do repairs. One in Rockville, Maryland and one in Springfield, Virginia. I'll get the websites when I get home and post them. I'm sure you can ship it to them.
    Btw did you talk to the seller or shipper about some sort of compensation?
  • honestaquarian
    edited April 2017
    @xjghost
    The first place is currently working on my Nakamichi cassette deck. The guy who is doing it used to work for the same hi-fi shop I worked at around the turn of the century.
    They're in Springfield, VA.
    So far I am very happy with them, but they do take a L O N G time.

The second place is in Rockville, MD and is where I brought my Onkyo preamp when the HDMI board failed. They WERE going to repair it, but the parts were on back order for six months, so Onkyo told them to ship it back to them. Onkyo replaced it with the newer model that succeeded it for free even though it was out of warranty AND it was a B-stock unit.
    I was happy with them as well even though as fate would have it they didn't do the repairs. They checked the new unit out after I got and thought something was wrong with it.
  • xjghost
    I dropped it off at a certified electronic shop for Pioneer in Columbia. Initial impressions are good. I'll know more next week.

• xjghost
    Well they said they could not fix it. Plan b. I bought a service manual and once I get it back will open it up and see what I can do.

• honestaquarian
    @xjghost
    What is wrong with it?
    Were you able to get any sort of compensation from either the seller or shipper?
    (*often when something isn't packed properly that is why it gets damaged by the shipping monkeys*)
  • xjghost
    Yes I believe he will give something back. It is not spinning up either DVD's or LD's.

• honestaquarian
    Okay
    So the transport was likely damaged :s
  • xjghost
    Hello Mr. Fulmer
    Unfortunately servicing DVL-90’s is way more complicated than it appears… Recently we had a customer who brought one of those laser disc players and at the end he had to hunt 2 more of them on eBay in order to make 1 good one out of 3 of them…
    It will be much better and cheaper to search for a DVL 919 or something similar..
    You can bring it by but I don’t think there is much hope…
    Best regards

Jimmy Diaz, Manager
    ELECTRONICS SERVICE CENTER

• honestaquarian
    I had a DVL-919 that I bought new and kept for over a decade. It had developed a strange problem with skipping after you played all of side 1 and then the transport flipped to play side 2. Once you got just over 2 mins in it would keep jumping back to the same spot over and over again until you pressed fast forward. I had it serviced by some crooks in Woodbridge,VA who charged me four hundred some odd dollars and kept it for an entire year (* the shop owner loaned me his DVL-700 for most of that time to soften the blow*) Then the problem came back!! They replaced the transport the first time. That was the four hundred. Then when the problem came back they replaced some wiring harness that they said was hanging up the transport and the problem came back again!! I finally sold it on eBay with full disclosure of what was wrong. The buyer told me that he did not have that problem when he got it!!!!!
    FINE
    WHATEVER
    I found a DVL-91 eventually(*the Elite version of the DVL-919. The DVL-90 is the Elite version of the DVL-700*) after going through a DVL-700 and then a DVL-90 in rapid succession on eBay.
  • honestaquarian
    @dolbyd Have a look at the Meridian 519 that is posted above. These are old posts, but you can always find a working one on eBay if you’re patient. That’s where I found mine. My only issue with that unit is it seems to have some problems passing 16 bit digital from CD’s playing on either the DVL-919 or the DVL-91. I’ve had the predecessor to both players. That being the DVL-700 and the Elite DVL-90 and did not have this issue with either. Strange thing is the Meridian will pass the exact same 16 bit Digital information from a Laserdisc. It just won’t pass it from a CD.
  • dolbyd
    dolbyd Posts: 430
    @dolbyd Have a look at the Meridian 519 that is posted above. These are old posts, but you can always find a working one on eBay if you’re patient. That’s where I found mine. My only issue with that unit is it seems to have some problems passing 16 bit digital from CD’s playing on either the DVL-919 or the DVL-91. I’ve had the predecessor to both players. That being the DVL-700 and the Elite DVL-90 and did not have this issue with either. Strange thing is the Meridian will pass the exact same 16 bit Digital information from a Laserdisc. It just won’t pass it from a CD.

I will look for one. Thanks
    Main room- RTiA9 x4, CSiA6, in ceiling Atmos RT-70 x4, SVS PC 4000 x2, Marantz 8805A, OPPO 203, Emotiva DR3 G3, Emotiva XPA-2 G3, Emotiva XPA-5 G3, Emotiva X300, Sony 75" 940E, Panasonic Plasma VT50, PS Audio Power Port X2, PS Audio AC-5 x8, AQ Rocket 33 Biwire speaker cables, AQ King Cobra XLR IC, Furman PFi20 W/Cullen cable, SoildSteel S4-4 rack, Gik room treatments

Office- Legend L600, in ceiling Polk RC80i, Marantz 7704, OPPO 203, Pioneer Elite PDF-59 CD, PSA Stellar 300, Sony 55" 800B, Gik room treatment

Master BR- Signature ES60, Signature S35 Center, Signature S15 Dolby Height, LSI700 in ceiling, SVS-SB4000, Marantz 5012, Emotiva XPA5 G2, OPPO 203, Pioneer DVL-919 Laser Disc, Sony 55" OLED

Patio- SDI Atrium8 x3, Emotiva A-100 amps x3
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    I liked the way Polanski used one of Grace Jones' songs in "Frantic". B)
  • ncddqnsp3nzz.jpeg
    3i0dhny0tzqn.jpeg

They say the silver, spinning disc is dead and streaming is king now. I say nay to that!
  • dolbyd
    dolbyd Posts: 430
    ncddqnsp3nzz.jpeg
    3i0dhny0tzqn.jpeg

They say the silver, spinning disc is dead and streaming is king now. I say nay to that!

Crazy I have all those movies on LD too.

I should pull out The Relic and watch it. Nothing like a brain eating monster for Halloween.
    Main room- RTiA9 x4, CSiA6, in ceiling Atmos RT-70 x4, SVS PC 4000 x2, Marantz 8805A, OPPO 203, Emotiva DR3 G3, Emotiva XPA-2 G3, Emotiva XPA-5 G3, Emotiva X300, Sony 75" 940E, Panasonic Plasma VT50, PS Audio Power Port X2, PS Audio AC-5 x8, AQ Rocket 33 Biwire speaker cables, AQ King Cobra XLR IC, Furman PFi20 W/Cullen cable, SoildSteel S4-4 rack, Gik room treatments

Office- Legend L600, in ceiling Polk RC80i, Marantz 7704, OPPO 203, Pioneer Elite PDF-59 CD, PSA Stellar 300, Sony 55" 800B, Gik room treatment

Master BR- Signature ES60, Signature S35 Center, Signature S15 Dolby Height, LSI700 in ceiling, SVS-SB4000, Marantz 5012, Emotiva XPA5 G2, OPPO 203, Pioneer DVL-919 Laser Disc, Sony 55" OLED

Patio- SDI Atrium8 x3, Emotiva A-100 amps x3
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,491
    "Nothing like a brain eating monster for Halloween."
    Grace Jones?
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • q32e9xv6rj7t.jpeg

Perfect for All Hallows’ eve yes??
  • up40918uazcp.jpeg
    Happy Halloween all! >:)
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    It’s a little amazing that laserdisc players are still around. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,491
    let alone a $1500 price tag.
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears