Group Buy '16: Dreadnought Avel Lindberg 1000VA Isolation Transformers

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    quotidian

Going to have to tuck this away and whip it out unexpectedly on some unsuspecting chap :pB)

• edpot1
    edpot1 Posts: 4
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Much appreciated edpot1. $3.41 in fasteners plus $9.61 in shipping seems kind of silly. I will probably go to my local hardware store to get the fasteners. Thanks for including the dimensions and not just the Fastenal part number.

Thanks again Jay for sharing.

H9

I did go to Home Depot yesterday and wasn't able to find similar parts. Once I have the case and the transformer, I *might* be able to find parts there that would work - the sizes obviously don't have to be exactly what I posted. But given what I know right now about the dimensions, I'll probably go with Fastenal.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited January 2017
    To mount the sockets properly those are the correct sizes, it's what Neutrik calls for. I've seen others use improper sizes, which looks like dog poo to me. YMMV.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    They were special order only and you missed the group buy. Perhaps someone may have one to sell. If you got to page 1 you will see several links that explains the use and build of one of these. Get your learn on.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited February 2017
    I just broke down and bought the fasteners from Fastenal and paid the $10 shipping for $3 worth of stuff. After thinking it through it made sense. I know I could have sourced stuff locally, but my time is worth something and frankly I just want to be done with it and off my mind.

I also decided to get all the Neutrik parts from Parts Express. Along with the other misc parts including red techflex and gold female disconnects. I was thinking I have Canare 4S11 at home currently for my SDA cable, but it turns out it's 4S8, a tad smaller gauge but it should suffice.

I was going to get a 12' piece of 4S11 at Performance Audio and the Neutrik parts, but I'm betting the difference between 11g or 13g wire diameter over a 5 foot run on each side for the SDA signal will be negligible.

I also included one of these if I have issues w/ the tranny or want to run w/o it. Or simply to make a comparison before and after.

http://www.parts-express.com/neutrik-nl4mmx-speakon-cable-to-cable-adapter-4-pole--092-196

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Hey that coupler is nice! Cool find.
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    ONLY 7 CASES LEFT!!!
  • Wait, what?! Do you still have the 2 I ordered? Did I miss something?
    HT
    Adcom GFP-565 Pre-amp, Adcom GFA-565 Mono Block Amps (Front), Adcom GFA-585 Amp (Side), Adcom GFA-555 Amp (Rear), Adcom ACE-515, Pioneer CLD-3070 Laserdisc, Sony CDP-605esD, Sony BluRay BDP BX59, Samsung 50" Plasma, Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL Front (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS Side (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS Rear (Walnut).
    2 Channel (Living Room)
    Adcom GFP-565 Pre-amp (w/Big Sky Audio Upgrades), Adcom GFA-565 Mono Block Amps (w/Big Sky Audio Upgrades), Adcom ACE-515, Sony CDP-705esD, Magnum Dynalab FT-101A Etude, Polk Audio SDA SRS 2.3TL (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS 2 (Walnut), STAX SR34 Electret Earspeaker System.
    2 Channel (Office)
    Adcom GFP-555 Pre-amp, Adcom GFA-555 Amp, Sony CDP-605esD, Adcom GFT-555 Tuner, Polk Audio SDA 1C (Walnut).
    2 Channel (Garage)
    Hafler DH-110 Pre-amp, Hafler DH-220 Amp, Sony CDP-505esD, Hafler DH-330 Tuner, Polk Audio SDA 2B (Walnut).
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2017
    So Larry gave me a couple different face plates to mess around with after work. So I thought why not put both connections on one side? I took a blank one and machined a counter bore for each and the appropriate hole locations.
    t2if7mrg28xs.jpg
    koqp0grd8jmh.jpg
    7lfywnekaiys.jpg
    Now I have a blank front facing plate that I'll eventually laser etch the Polk Audio logo on.
    x35ttqoscyab.jpg
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    I still say we should come up with a Dreadnought logo.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • Toolfan66
    nspindel wrote: »
    I still say we should come up with a Dreadnought logo.

We might just be able to do that soon, as we just got an Epilog Laser at the shop.

Won't be anytime soon as we still have to get it up and running for our customers product..
  • Toolfan66
    Looks good Brian!!!
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    That's fine. You don't need to do a run of the boxes. Just make the faceplates. Didn't you used to have something like that? Didn't the crossover mounting plates you used to do have laser etching?
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • Toolfan66
    No, I sent them out to be silk screened..
  • Toolfan66
    Exactly, just the face plate..
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    I had a question on Dreadnought wiring, so I'm pasting stuff from previous build posts here:

Binding post connections from DarqueKnight's original 2008 Dreadnought thread. Note this is using the 800VA, but the 1000VA is the same scheme.
    Right Pin = Red/Yellow

Right Blade (Negative Speaker Terminal) = Black/Orange

Left Pin = Grey/Brown

Left Blade (Negative Speaker Terminal) = Blue/Violet
    DN-inside-side-r.jpg
    DN-rear001-r.jpg

Neutrik connections from F1nut's Neutrik Dreadnought. I believe this arrangement is consistent with Larry's latest batch of cases. For same-side Neutriks with 90deg connectors, see ER308L's post directly above.
    F1nut wrote: »
    Is there a chart here or one that you can post that tells me which wires I should soldered to each numbered tab?
    Red/Yellow (right pin) to 1+
    Black/Orange (right blade) to 1-
    Grey/Brown (left pin) to 1+
    Blue/Violet (left blade) to 1-
    DSC01998.jpg

DarqueKnight's Dynamatted base
    DNVer2No2IntAssy-s.jpg
    F1nut's Dynamtted top
    DSC01997.jpg

Other quicklinks:
    agfrost's use of slightly different Neutrik's, Fastons, bolt info (use SS or nylon)
    Parts discussion on page 10 above.
    Larry's Dreadnought cases here. Only 5 left!
    F1nut's outriggers and spikes
    agfrost's cabling (you may want to order an extra pair of male connectors)
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • F1nut
    ER308L wrote: »
    So Larry gave me a couple different face plates to mess around with after work. So I thought why not put both connections on one side? I took a blank one and machined a counter bore for each and the appropriate hole locations.

Now I have a blank front facing plate that I'll eventually laser etch the Polk Audio logo on.

Just wanted to point out that the transformer sounds better in the vertical position, hence the reason you see pretty much everyone else's that way.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• I have alot of different options that I want to try out before I make my spikes and the rest of that apperatus. Does anyone know why it makes a difference having it vertical?
  • F1nut
    I believe Ray explained that in here somewhere. Magnetic fields or some such.

President of Club Polk

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    F1nut wrote: »
    I believe Ray explained that in here somewhere. Unicorn dust, double rainbow mist, fairy tears, the alignment of the space time continuum, and the secondary waves of th butterfly effect were the cause of the magic.

Fixed it for you @F1nut....

PS I'm bored so ignore my comment as an attempt at humoristic banter

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Toolfan66
    Only 4 Cases Left... :)
  • kmeek
    kmeek Posts: 225
    For your Dreadnought project:
    Just an FYI: since several forum members recommended Canare 4S11 speaker cable I picked up some from Performance Audio.
    While it is not on sale (@ $1.16 per foot which doesn't seem like a bad price) they do have a free shipping February event going on right now (with no minimum order which is nice)

http://www.performanceaudio.com/browse/Speaker-Wire/170/

Canare 4S11 Star Quad Speaker Cable (4 x 14-Gauge)
  • kmeek
    FYI, for your Dreadnought project:
    Due to forum member suggestions I picked up some Canare 4S11 speaker wire from Performance Audio. It is not on sale but $1.16 per foot did not seem like a bad price. The nice thing though is they have a free shipping February event going on right now (so no minimum order).

Here is the link:

• kmeek
    Due to forum member suggestions I picked up some Canare 4S11 speaker wire from Performance Audio. It is not on sale but $1.16 per foot did not seem like a bad price. The nice thing though is they have a free shipping February event going on right now (so no minimum order).

Here is the link:

• kmeek

Here is the link:

• kmeek
    Sorry about the duplicates..... Was having issues posting and then it posted four..... :(
  • Toolfan66
    Anyone start seeing these yet??
  • ptrooper
    ptrooper Posts: 501
    Nothing seen here so far