This joint needs some more vintage hifi

mhardy6647
mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
edited July 2014 in 2 Channel Audio
... so, apropos of nothing, here some is - just scans, not the Real Thing...

Too quiet here today; everyone must be out stuck in traffic going to the beach or something.

KnightKitpreamp1960.jpg
Allied3551968.jpg
LRELR-100.jpg
LRELA-224A1966.jpg
scan0002-1.jpg

There, that's better!

My work is done here.
Post edited by mhardy6647 on

Comments

• Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    edited June 2012
    Or in my case stuck working the evening shift. Not to derail your thread but I was researching the Marantz TT-15S1 turntable on some other sites and I saw you on there and that you have (or had) this table. What did you think? I'm looking at one of these tables. You can PM me on this if you have the time and prefer to do that. Thanks. Sorry again to derail your thread.
  • mhardy6647
    edited June 2012
    It would be impossible to derail this thread! :-)

TT15S1.jpg

The TT-15S1 is essentially a tweaked Clearaudio Emotion with a CA Satisfy arm with ebony wand and a CA Virtuoso Ebony MM cartridge. Looks nice (my young adult kids like its cosmetics), decent arm, well made in general but supplied with a mediocre cartridge. Mine's now in the basement as I have moved along to a classic low-compliance LOMC cartridge which is (at the moment) slumming in a dump find Technics DD tt.

SLQ2.jpg

That said, the Marantz is a pretty good value in terms of price/performance for modern tts - nothing close to "high end", but not a toy/junk (as are most of the current production tts priced at less than $1k, if'n you were to ask me...). If you get one, get a better cartridge for it!

EDIT: heh... back on topic ;-)

scan0014.jpg
    Quanta500.jpg
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited June 2012
    Doing my part, hopefully picking up the Onkyo A-7022 shortly. It just looks too sexy to pass up.....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • mhardy6647
    edited June 2012
    hunt down the matching tuner for that bad boy, will ya? ;-)
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited June 2012
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    hunt down the matching tuner for that bad boy, will ya? ;-)

That was the plan eventually.... but its a bit overkill since I plan on using it at work which means I am going to put my computer monitor on top.....

I am debating making a custom top out of some real wood for it.... any suggestions?
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • CTTE
    CTTE Posts: 183
    edited June 2012
  • zane77
    zane77 Posts: 1,696
    edited June 2012
    My first stereo system was a Knight kit with some DIY speakers, circa 1969!
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited June 2012
    Realistic STA 700.jpg
    Attachment not found.

Well, since we can't derail the thread maybe we can make is cheaper?

Some stock pics of what I've been messing with this evening. Have put a Realistic STA 700 in place as my computer amp and FM with a pair of Miniimus 7s (I used before on a Kenwood). As some of you may know the STA 700 is merely a slightly newer version of the System 7 which was designed with EQ specifically for Minimus speakers. I know, I almost said "equalization", excuse me! But this actually works with these speakers. Sounds very nice and clean in a tight space.

Definitely low end, but pleasing to the ear for background listening.

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • cnh
    edited June 2012
    Here is our RatShack catalog page:

cnh

• Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    edited June 2012
    It would be impossible to derail this thread! :-)

TT15S1.jpg

The TT-15S1 is essentially a tweaked Clearaudio Emotion with a CA Satisfy arm with ebony wand and a CA Virtuoso Ebony MM cartridge. Looks nice (my young adult kids like its cosmetics), decent arm, well made in general but supplied with a mediocre cartridge. Mine's now in the basement as I have moved along to a classic low-compliance LOMC cartridge which is (at the moment) slumming in a dump find Technics DD tt.

SLQ2.jpg

That said, the Marantz is a pretty good value in terms of price/performance for modern tts - nothing close to "high end", but not a toy/junk (as are most of the current production tts priced at less than $1k, if'n you were to ask me...). If you get one, get a better cartridge for it!

EDIT: heh... back on topic ;-)

scan0014.jpg
    Quanta500.jpg

Thanks a bunch for the info! I've got a Soundsmith modded Dynavector 20XH that I bet would sound good on that table. I've found a good deal on one so I'm trying to decide wether to pull the trigger on it. Now back to the vintage stuff.
  • vstarkwell
    vstarkwell Posts: 328
    edited June 2012
    ... so, apropos of nothing, here some is - just scans, not the Real Thing...

Too quiet here today; everyone must be out stuck in traffic going to the beach or something.

LRELA-224A1966.jpg

There, that's better!

My work is done here.

Your work is excellent!!!, I'll be picking up my Lafayette LA-224A from the shop soon. Here's some nudies of mine.

DSCN1141.jpg

DSCN1137.jpg
    Monitor 7C's With Tubes
  • mhardy6647
    edited June 2012
    A Holy Grail piece (for some vintage fanboys, not really my cup of tea)...

SX-1980p1.jpg

heathkitUA-1.jpg
    heathhifi2.jpg
    heathhifi1.jpg
    Heathkit1961flyercover.jpg

I like the l'il R/S receiver that cnh posted... R/S made a few low-profile black receivers over the years more or less specifically meant to be paired with the little die-cast Minimus-7 speakers. Oh, cnh said that already, didn't he?

RSQV3.jpg
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,918
    edited June 2012
    That brought back some memories .Over at the Klipsch site they did 2 threads of what is your kids 1st system and that evovled into what was your own 1st 2-chl ystem. My answer, Lafeyett 50 watt amp/pre w/ no tuner similar to the one shown but a few years newer , Criterion 100s for speakers,A Dual 1229 TT,and Super-X headphones. and I was styling. I even remember my first set of lps.1. Blues Project at Cafe au Go Go, Surrealistic Pillow Jefferson Airplane,Fresh Cream, Fleetwood Mac w/ Peter Green,and possibly a Canned Heat lp, albums were all bought at Sears...
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • mhardy6647
    edited June 2012
    Criterion (sold by Lafayette Radio Electronics), eh?

scan0003.jpg
    LRE1970.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    LRE0000.jpg

LRELA750.jpg
    LREstereo25.jpg
    LR5555A.jpg
    LRELA215Rx1965.jpg
    la975.jpg
  • PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    edited June 2012
    Man you all are making me feel old I remember some of that stuff.
    Check this out
    http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • mhardy6647
    edited June 2012
    ahem, yes, rather familiar with it... harumph, eh, what? ;-)

... and some of us don't just feel old!

AlliedRadio1968.jpg
  • cnh
    edited June 2012
    You can't help but notice the 4-channel units above and I remember, what was it called? Quadraphonic sound and Receivers...'70s, right? It was so "cool". Never had one but it was the "future"! There were even Quad phono cartridges and LPs if I remember correctly.

Whatever happened to Quad sound? Because by the late '70s it was gone! I know, I know, one can argue that Dolby surround followed and then Dolby Pro-logic, but there was definitely a big gap between their appearance and the disappearance of the Quad.

And strangely, Quad receivers don't seem to command the value of the classic stereo silver face from around the same time?

Radio Shack had a series of receivers with the QTA instead of STA prefix for Quad.

On another note. Did anyone here ever put together one of those Heathkits?

cnh

• SDA1C
    SDA1C Posts: 2,069
    edited June 2012
    Sansui Qs-1 or a Lafayette something -44 count? I have those in the closet and have never plugged them in.
    Too much **** to list....
  • cnh
    edited June 2012
    Don't know the Lafayette. But the Sansui definitely counts! Nice looking piece too with several "effects".

cnh

• parnold
    parnold Posts: 23
    edited June 2012
    There was some lafayette on my local CL, heard it was decently well-made, keep the posts coming!
  • SDA1C
    SDA1C Posts: 2,069
    edited July 2012
    cnh wrote: »
    Don't know the Lafayette. But the Sansui definitely counts! Nice looking piece too with several "effects".

cnh
    Yep that's the one. It is in pretty darn good shape as well. The Lafayette is in a previous picture I think and its a bit rougher but not unsightly at all. I am missing the slide knob between the two big big knobs under the meters :( Maybe I need to plug stuff together and see how they sound. As it is right now I am at a shortage of speakers I am willing to sacrifice. Might need to hit good will later today.
    Too much **** to list....
  • cnh
    edited July 2012
    Here's a combo I picked up a while back. Kenwood Dual Power integrated with matching tuner.

KA-7300 amp, KT-7300 tuner (next slide).

cnh

• cnh
    edited July 2012
    And the Ad with the higher model 8300 above it!

• mhardy6647
    edited July 2012
    eicorp1001961RS.jpg
    eicost-40RS1961.jpg

EICOST70nEPI110C.jpg
    EICOST40.jpg

There's an RP-100 downstairs, someplace, too... but I've never taken a photograph of it?!
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,167
    edited July 2012
    My work is done here.

No. Your work here is done when WE say it's done ! :eek:

No way you're going to be allowed to open up the Goody Bag and then put it back in the pantry before we've all had our fill !!

....... I mean that in a postive, non-threatening, constructive way. For the most part. :loneranger:

Allied, Eico, .... we're talking vintage stuff that was vintage when I was young. Way cool !
    Sal Palooza
  • mhardy6647
    edited July 2012
    I found the ST-40 at the dump, and the ST-70 was given to me :-)
    Both have been recently re-habbed and work well (if not necessarily at 100%... yet).
  • cnh
    edited July 2012
    The knobs and face-plate are reminiscent of this current item on fleabay. Merrill STA 24:

cnh

• onebadchad
    onebadchad Posts: 364
    edited July 2012
    I need this!
    Hello Kitty am/fm CD player
  • mhardy6647
    edited July 2012
    cnh wrote: »
    The knobs and face-plate are reminiscent of this current item on fleabay. Merrill STA 24:

cnh

That amp kit was sold by numerous vendors - go to www.radioshackcatalogs.com in the mid to late 1960s and you'll see it - you'll also see how cheap it was! :-O