This joint needs some more vintage hifi

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    edited October 2012
    neat!

I have a set of Realistic Nova 6B that I picked up with my new (to me) Pioneer SA-708 TX-608 combo...
    Since my speaker count has crept up as of late I'm not sure if I'll put the work into rewiring these - trying to sell them on right now. They would make a great basis for a frankenspeaker too - the cabinets are solid and you could probably find some interesting drivers to test out of the Parts Express catalog!
    heh. my speaker count crept up a long time ago :-(

In terms of Frankenspeakers - have you seen the "Econowaves" project at www.audiokarma.org (there was also an article on the subject in Make magazine a year or so ago).
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited October 2012
    Those guys over at AK will Econowave ANYTHING! They are a little nutty, sometimes, IMO!

Speaker count. I have two closets full of speakers waiting for attention. Am I going to move some "soon", maybe? But what is it that they say about what is the "spice of life"?

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited October 2012
    crouse wrote: »
    I loved quad sound way back when. I vividly remember a friend playing the bells from "Dark Side of the Moon" on his car quad system. The sound was racing around the car and we were all in a, shall we say, very receptive state for sonic overload.

Have DTS-CD of that that was transferred from a quad recording. I prefer the stereo vesion, more realistic representaion of the 360 sound out of just a pair of SDAs. The quad recording just did not have the same fluidity too it.
  • mhardy6647
    edited October 2012
    The quad mix is quite a bit different than the stereo mix.
    I - somewhat inexplicably - bought a German quad LP version back in the day.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited October 2012
    A few photo's of my good friend Larry and Polkie (Analog97) his Fisher console. Notice the Ampex reel to reel!!

Fisher1.jpg

Fisher3.jpg

Fisher2.jpg

Fisher4.jpg
    Carl

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,901
    edited October 2012
    Hot damn Carl, thats about the sweetest console I've ever laid eyes on. Very nice.

Would look dynamite in a nice cherry finish.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    edited October 2012
    That is a nice, and seldom seen, Fisher integrated!
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited October 2012
    tonyb wrote: »
    Hot damn Carl, thats about the sweetest console I've ever laid eyes on. Very nice.

Would look dynamite in a nice cherry finish.

It's the biggest console that I ever ever seen in person. The console is still in excellent condition and will look nice even with the best furniture. It's made from great wool with a very nice vaneer. First class build quality! The console is very long! It is also filled with OEM Telefunken tubes!!
    Carl

• Clint77
    Clint77 Posts: 4
    edited January 2013
    I have a x-10 where do you get new belts from ?
  • wkjeffers
    wkjeffers Posts: 139
    edited January 2013
  • ErasmusBDragon
    ErasmusBDragon Posts: 113
    edited January 2013
  • mhardy6647
    edited January 2013
    Amber. She's not quite as old as some of the other girls we've seen in this thread, but she's comely - and she looks great topless.

Amber.jpg
    Amber2.jpg
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited January 2013
    ^that she does. Is this one of yours or one your fixing for someone?
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • mhardy6647
    edited January 2013
    Erstwhile mine. I passed it along to a fellow hifi buff over at audioasylum when his preamp defecated the bed and was out of service for a protracted time period for repairs :-)
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited January 2013
    Gotcha, that is one I would show off myself as it just looks good. I think its the silver board rather than the normal black..... now if only it had tubes to boot :wink:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • tx_polkhead
    tx_polkhead Posts: 248
    edited January 2013
    Recently I got my hands on a 'Harman Kardon 730 Twin Powered' to upgrade a Harman Kardon 330B that I've only had for a few months. The 730 was a mess, dirty and dusty, and that was the outside, inside this thing was just as dirty and the sound was questionable. Every dial had static and cracks, most of the buttons would stick half way between on and off. Opened her up, dusted her out and lubed her up and she is singing now. The SDA CRS+'s are at 100db with the volume knob at about 1/3! The bass is is deep and bold, the art work on the bedroom walls was rattling. At 30lbs this HK means business. I may have to drag the RTA 12C's from the living room to the bedroom and see what they sound like with the 730.

DSC02855.JPG
    Polk Audio RTA 12c's, Monitor 7c, Monitor 5JR+, SDA CRS+
  • tx_polkhead
    tx_polkhead Posts: 248
    edited January 2013
    Topless pic, built like a tank!
    HarmanKardon730_2821.jpg
    Polk Audio RTA 12c's, Monitor 7c, Monitor 5JR+, SDA CRS+
  • mhardy6647
    edited January 2013
    Nice machine - good sounding amplifier and good sounding tuner too.

I have a kind of sad-looking hk430 - it'd be nice to have a nice one... and nicer still to have an hk730! :-)

DSC_6226_zps9ac72787.jpg

EDIT: d'oh, I guess I sort of posted this already :-p
    Well, at this point, I'll just note the motley little hk menagerie on the middle shelves - the aforementioned hk430 abutting an hk790i, which is itself topped with an hk A402 integrated amp. The next shelf up has a modest but very pleasant (probably under-appreciated, in this day and age) hk330i on it.
  • mhardy6647
    edited January 2013
    I know what this thread needs... transistor power...

TransistorPower1964_zps697c45a0.jpg
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited January 2013
    Just the thought of 26 transistors and 10 diodes gives me the tingles.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • mhardy6647
    edited January 2013
    'specially since (I think) they were germanium transistors!
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,167
    edited January 2013
    AA-21C. 35 watts/channel of power from 26 transistors and (most importantly) 10 diodes !
    Not 6. Not 8. No, 10 diodes !!
    That is, of course, how they managed to get a full 50 watts/channel rating out of the ever-so-conservative Institute of High Fidelity.

.... I'm still going to slobber over it. I need more.
    Sal Palooza
  • mhardy6647
    edited January 2013
    50 watts (stereo) IHF is probably ca. 17-20 wpc per the FTC regulation of 1974.
  • mhardy6647
    edited January 2013
    ... more from '64...

It wasn't quite too late for tubes, although of course the hip, happenin' techno-geeks were goin' solid state, big time...

Heathkitampntuner1964_zps95b82259.jpg

Heathkittuners1964_zps303cdee9.jpg
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited January 2013
    My knowledge of transistors and such began and ENDED in 8th grade shop, not my "favorite" class because you had to BUILD things and I just did not care about that as a 13 year old, there were MORE important things to think about if you get what I mean. Thirteen year old male?

My first exposure to the "transistor" came by way of my FIRST audio device. A good old Taiwanese 10 transistor AM radio that could even get WABC from NYC! I was maybe 10 years old? The advertising back then "pushed" portable radios that had the "greatest number of transistors". So we all ran around and tried to find more of them figuring that "more" was better than "less". This sums up my VAST knowledge on the subject which is next to nothing.

I don't know if I was old enough, or rather "aware" enough to actually note any transition from "tubes" to "transistors"! But I do remember all those Philco TVs my father bought that required a repairman with a tool box of tubes to, OMG, make a house call to repair the set. Which usually meant replacing some TUBES! lol

Carry on, Technophiles!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • mhardy6647
    edited January 2013
    My father was that repairman :-) ... and I have his tube caddy. Unfortunately, since he repaired TVs (mostly), it's full of things like 33GY7s and 3A3s. Not much help for hifi.

In his earlier days, though, he was a broadcast engineer.
    Here he is with an Ampex 600 reel to reel recording a remote broadcast. Baltimoreans (and perhaps some Californians) may recognize the man with the microphone (and, in fact, might even recognize the guy on the right).

keysandampexforak.jpg
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited February 2013
    Here's a classic Garrard Type A turntable with a Shure M3D cartridge that I repaired recently. I had to do a motor transplant, replace the RCA cables, overall cleaning and lubrication and had the drive idler replaced by Terry's Rubber.
    Enjoy, Ken
  • TNHNDYMAN
    TNHNDYMAN Posts: 2,145
    edited February 2013
    Ken-

How would you rate the above Garrard soundwise? Reason I ask, I pulled a mint one out of an older console last summer but havent done anything with it due to the power cord was a connector that went to the tube amp inside the console. It has 4 different wires (I'm trying to remember without digging it out of the closet) but I wasn't sure what would be involved in converting it to stand alone use.

I take that back it is a Garrad 210. Found a couple pics. It came out of a "Senator Space-Tone" console. Very little info online, other than it was part of a record club membership give away if you signed up for so many years of buying records. The outfit was based out of the Wash DC area and quickly went out of business. The above ?'s still pertain to whether it would be worth trying to convert it to stand alone use.

Was going to add pics but apparently they are too big in file size to upload. I need to find a decent free editing program to resize and or compress quality slightly to downsize a few pics.
    2-ch System: Parasound P/LD 2000 pre, Parasound HCA-1000 amp, Parasound T/DQ Tuner, Phase Technology PC-100 Tower speakers, Technics SL-1600 Turntable, Denon 2910 SACD/CD player, Peachtree DAC iT and X1asynchorus USB converter, HSU VTF-3 subwoofer.

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,119
    edited February 2013
    you can compress pic in paint, and word
    Make sure you save as 2nd image so you can keep original
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a